From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:46 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3146

1. Re: new gullwing coupe hits euro market
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Reproduction Headlight Switch and home fix
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Silicon hose under the intake manifold
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. AC High Pressure Hose Leaking Badly, replacement advice??
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. New England area DCS2006 Attendees
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

6. Re: Hollywood celebrity detective indicted for racketeering
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Refurbished Prices
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

8. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Silicon hose under the intake manifold
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Owners manual
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

12. Re: Owners manual
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Re: Re: Refurbished Prices
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Owners manual
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

15. RE: Re: Refurbished Prices
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Re: Reproduction Headlight Switch and home fix
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

17. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Re: DCS2006 - New England area attendees...transport
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. Re: Re: Owners manual
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: New England area DCS2006 Attendees...emergency services
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

21. Re: Reproduction Headlight Switch and home fix
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Re: Owners manual
From: rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

23. Re: Owners manual
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

25. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:04:00 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new gullwing coupe hits euro market

The backend glass looks like a tribute to the Mercedes, but the front reminds me of an Acura.  Thanks for the info, should be interesting to watch.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:03:51 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reproduction Headlight Switch and home fix

Go to ohiodeloreans.com

or

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/docs/LightSwitchDecalInst.pdf

My good friend Shannon Yocom scanned in one of my good spare headlight switches I disassembled for this project. Shannon scanned it at like 1200 dpi and then shrunk it down for high quality.

It is best to print it off with a laser printer, and print several on a page and choose the best one. Then cut it out with an exacto knife.

Push the old switch apart and then you can cut the new one to fit. We use a clear piece of overhead projector material to install over the new overlay so that it won't weardown again. Reassemble and put in a few drops of super-glue to hold it together.

It doesn't light up as bright, but it doesn't look all white & faded.

I'm thinking about disassembling my new switches and installing a clear plastic overlay to save the new one from the same fate.

Since the original design, Shannon has made two more designs with the image moved slightly up & down for slight differences in headlight switches, and added the hazard switch as well.

Real nice fix, and best of all it is free!

Enjoy.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_...> wrote:

> DMCH Reproduction Headlight Switch- I called and asked if they would
sell
> the push button that slides over the switch (not the switch) by
> itself, answer no. I have the Headlight Switch Saver Kit in place but
> my
button is

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:37:16 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Silicon hose under the intake manifold

1 - PJ Grady

2 - http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpump.html

3 - All the hoses and the waterpump while your at it.

Dave

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:33:31 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: AC High Pressure Hose Leaking Badly, replacement advice??

Well I guess I should've knocked on wood when I was talking with a friend last week that my ac has been working perfectly since I recharged it last year.

Today when I was walking through my garage after work and as I walked past the rear of 16851 I heard a faint hissing. Perplexed I opened the louvers & engine cover to try to find the source of the hiss.

I figured it had to be the AC as what else would hiss? Anyway after moving the hoses around trying to hear the leak better, I found if I move the high pressure line around a bit the tone of the hissing leak changes, so that must be where the leak is near.

So I'm leaking out about $80 worth of R12 slowly, as 7 hours later it is still hissing.

I'm thinking of buying the new 2 piece hoses from specialtauto.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the two piece hoses? I really don't want to lift the body an inch to install the 1 piece lines.

Thankfully it isn't summer yet and I can get it fixed before the heatwave this summer.

Can't complain too much as the original seals held up for almost 25 years on 16851.

Just a bummer as I had the AC working perfectly last summer after Dave Bauerle tweaked it for me and installed new ac vent vacuum servos.

So any good or bad points on the two piece hoses from anyone who has installed them?

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:51:53 +0000
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: New England area DCS2006 Attendees

Jeff & Other New England DCS2006 Attendees:

I am hoping to have a "caravan of DeLoreans" heading out to Chicago.  In April, I will be sending out an e-mail to all New England DeLorean owners to set things up.  Speaking of New England DeLorean owners, we were once again invited to the Northeast Exotic Car Show.  Last year Marc Levy and I brought our cars and several other Delorean owner were also in attendance (unfortunately without their cars).  I am hoping that we can achieve a better turn out of cars so please mark your calendars for Saturday August 26th _at_dml_ the Anheuser-Bush Brewery in Merrimack, NH

Link: http://www.northeastexotic.com/

New England Owners, please look out for e-mails coming this April about a potential Spring Social!!

Jason

From: "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_adelphia.net>

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:06:29 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hollywood celebrity detective indicted for racketeering

There was a story on him just a few weeks ago on Dateline.  They
didn't mention JZD in that story, but I guess this was "the" go-to
Hollywood guy when you needed to, in words attributed to JZD by Mr.
Haddad, "put some s*** on [someone's] shoes."

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Just came across this small news story.
>
> http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article343933.ece
>

> Paul
> Belfast
>
> --
06/03/2006

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 07:04:18 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Refurbished Prices

Re: Refurbished Prices

In his(Delorean)World (pun intended)maybe!

Has anybody on this list bought a car from D1(any car)and was it
worth the big bucks price,and how is it standing up to time/use.

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I stand corrected in saying that D1's website has not been
updated.....the new price for a reconditioned car is now $71,500.

>   However it still says. "The world's largest source for Delorean
parts, service and accessories"...curious, eh?

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:02:29 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)

Hi S & others,

I put some pics of Aaron's galvanised frame on the Irish DeLorean
Owners website. I think you'll agree after seeing the pics that Aaron
has done a really good job so far. Some of the work shown includes
how he replaced 50% of the metal in the front frame extension, and
fabricated a new plate to go under the engine cradle.

goto the website:

http://www.delorean.ie

and click on technical section, restoration logs, and choose Aarons
DeLorean restoration to see the pictures.

I don't think Aaron has email, but if you want to send him any
comments you can send them to me, and I'll give them to him at the
weekend when I see him.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:37:38 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I also plan on tackling this later this month. Check out
www.specialtauto.com. John has all the hoses available.

I have heard that some of the bolts under the manifold have a nasty
habit of breaking. That is my only fear; otherwise I expect the
procedure to be straightforward. A good tip I learned on the DML is
to be sure that you pressure test the system before you bolt the
manifold back on. I plan on replacing the heater pipe with the
stainless one, replace all the vacuum hoses/o rings, install a self
bleeder, and clean and paint the "valley". When I am done ALL of the
hoses in the car will be new.

Might also be a good idea to do a tune up while you are in there.

Nathan
2277

wrote:

> Rob & list,
>
> 1. Where would one buy the correct silicon hose & clamp for this
location?
> 2. Does anyone have a write-up on the procedure to replace this?
> 3. Is there anything else I should check and/or replace while I'm
at it?

> I've replaced all of the hoses throughout my car except those under
> the intake manifold and I do have a tiny, tiny leak coming from
that
> area. I figure it's time to get this job done.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ryan
>
> On 3/5/06, rob_at_dml_... <rob_at_dml_...> wrote:
> > Harold is dead-on in advising using
> > silicone hoses for the block pipe to water pump backing plate as
you don't
> > want to do that job twice in one year. A leak there has been
known to cause
> > the PVR engine block to fail over time. We've been using
silicone hose there
> > on all water pump replacements for well over twenty years and
have never had
> > to go back and re-tighten a silicone hose clamp. If you don't
want to follow
> > a yearly clamp tightening ritual then silicone hose with the
correct clamps
> > (no open slots for the worm gear) is the only way to go.
Although expensive

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:27:20 -0500
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Owners manual

David,
I remember seeing  a owners manueal for the 81 somewhere in my Emails, but
can't find it now.  Do you know where I can get an owners manual or
download one?   I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Ed

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:11:21 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Now that is impressive work.  Well done Aaron!

-------------- Original message from "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:18:34 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Owners manual

http://www.dmcnews.com/files.html

Dave

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:22:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Refurbished Prices

CBL,

I know that there was an article in DW magazine several issues back about a customer who had D1 build him a DeLorean from all NOS parts.  I believe the customer was from Japan.

-Chris
DMC 6453

cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote: Re: Refurbished Prices

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:22:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The owner's manual (the one which goes in the valet in the glove box)
is different for the 81 vs the 82's and 83's. They appear on E-bay
from time to time and you might be able to get one from one of the
vendors. In the meantime I am sure you can get a locl owner to
photocopy his for you. The 81 and 82 manuals are essentially the same
as far as content is concerned so for informational purposes either
would be OK. The Workshop Manual and the Parts Manual are available
from all the vendors and the Parts Manual is downloadable from
dmcnews.com. What you really should get is the book with all the
recalls if you are interested in seeing what was done as far as the
front suspension is concerned. All the major vendors have that too.

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:26:31 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

While some have questioned his business practices, of the people I have
talked to, no one has ever questioned his quality of work. Not saying it's
any better than anyone else's as they all do very good work, Ed just seems
to charge more.

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:53:54 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Reproduction Headlight Switch and home fix

The headlight icon in my headlight switch never lit up and I just ignored it
for years. Finally I decided to figure out why and discovered that instead
of one opaque plastic insert behind the icon there where two. An obvious
manufacturing error but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had
that problem. I removed one of the opaque inserts and the switch now
illuminates as was intended.

Bruce Benson.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:38:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I just met with Ralph Stechow. He is a Lotus factory-trained and
authorized repair station for Lotus in Closter, New Jersey. He has
extensive experience with all things Lotus. There was a problem on the
95 S4's. There is a plate bolted into the frame around the cut-out
hole for the shifter. On one car that didn't have the plate but was
supposed to have it an owner found cracks in the corners. The plate
was obtained and installed. It was a high mileage car. I don't think
you can translate this into a problem with Deloreans but it could be
an area for investigation. IMHO the frame of the Delorean is VERY
stiff and unless you really throw the car around and it is high
mileage this is not a problem but it can't hurt to keep an eye on this
for the future as our cars get older. I would be more worried about
rust. BTW on American cars they do use mild steel with a zinc coating
on one side. It is called "Galvaneel" and the process is patented and
used extensively by the Canadian Steel industry for the automakers.
Most body panels are made with it. The main problem is that processing
the metal (cutting and welding) damages the coating. It is more
difficult to spotweld and corrosion starts there because the coating
is damaged by the welding. It is one reason cars made today don't rust
out like they used to.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:56:05 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DCS2006 - New England area attendees...transport

Jeff and others,

I have a contact for "group transports" of cars, to and from
the DCS event.  I think the minimum number of cars would be 3
with a maximum of 6 per truck.  The carrier is fully enclosed
and fully insured; the more cars, the less per car, per truck.

If you have 3 to 6 cars that need to be transported to Chicago
for the DeLorean 25th Anniversary Events and DCS 2006 Events,
please contact me off-list and I will forward you the contact.
Email to: Rich[at]dmcnews[dot]com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Chabotte" <jchabotte_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:59:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Owners manual

Hello,

  For the owners manual, mine is spiral bound and has a black cover that says DeLorean in Silver letters.  I believe this is the 1981.  UNfortunately, I had to purchase the manual from another DeLorean owner as my car did not include the original manual.  In addition my car did not include the original keys.  Is it fairly common for new delorean owners to not receive the owners manuals and original keys with their cars due to PO's keeping them??  Let me know.. One more thing, as far as content is concerned for 81 VS 82 & 83 manuals how are they different?  the only thing that I can think of is that the 81 manuals have a section on the center console clock while the 82 and 83 manuals do not (from what I've been told anyway)

  -Chris
  DMC 6453

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:31:15 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: New England area DCS2006 Attendees...emergency services

Jason, Jeff and others,

For those of you planning to caravan to DCS 2006, if you plan to
arrive early, a few days before DCS, you can have an added piece
of mind knowing there will be at least one emergency transport
vehicle (truck and trailer) standing by Monday through Wednesday
before DCS and will be standing by Sunday evening through Monday
after DCS, to help insure you make it on your way back home.

The truck and trailer will most likely be manned by myself or my
brother, to assist with emergency transports within about 4 hours
or a 250 mile radius of Chicago and although there is no charge
for any emergency transports, paying for fuel costs are helpful.
There may also be a rescue car standing by with a spare front and
rear tire, and a gas can, to dispatch to others who may need help.

Also, if there is anyone within a 4 hour drive or 250 miles of
Chicago that would like to have their car at Pheasant Run, but
they are worried about drining it that far, there will be a few
time slots to transport your running car to and from DCS PR on
the weekend before and weekend after DCS, for the cost of fuel.
One way or two way options area available.

Keep in mind that these services are being offered to encourage
as many DeLoreans as possible to be here at the 25th Anniversary
events and although it only covers first come, first served, as
needed, I hope this helps others to decide to bring their D's.

For more details, contact me off-list at: Rich[at]dmcnews.com

See you all in June.

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:41:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Charles,
You can download it here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm
see it here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/images/tips-LightDecals-Lrg.jpg

Instructions on the PDF tell you what to do. I printed on normal paper and put a
piece of clear tape over the decal so my finger would not rub the print off.

If your in Chicago this summer for the DCS or maybe other gatherings look me up
and you can see it first hand.

Shannon Y
16506

-----------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:41:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

Christopher,
If you would be so kind as to copy your owners manual for me I will gladly pay for the coping and shipping.
If acceptable to you let me know how much it will cost, including your time, and where to send the money.
Thanks
ED

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 21:44:10 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Radio information could be different as well.
Sean
3372
AZ-D
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christopher Mack

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:36:27 +0000
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Hi John,

I'm very impressed with the Chassis.  Did Aaron keep the dies he made for
stamping the panels ?

Also did it really add 40 Kgs to the weight of the chassis ?  That's a lot
of weight to add

Dan

DMC Ltd.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:41:22 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks for the pictures... that's a hard, dirty job!  I  hope it works
out for you and best of luck to you guys.