From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 6:35 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3148

1. re;refurbished prices
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Faded tail turn signal lens
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

3. RE: Re: Refurbished Prices
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: Silicon hose under the intake manifold
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>

5. Delorean Needed on Sat. 3/11
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

6. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

8. Re: Re: Ball joints
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. DMC Netherlands!!!
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

10. Interview of Ken Gorf, director of finance of DMCA
From: "Guillaume Morel" <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Interview of Ken Gorf, director of finance of DMCA
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Interview of Ken Gorf, director of finance of DMCA
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Casting Call for a podcast
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 06:02:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: re;refurbished prices

Scott,  I'm sure you would agree that all vendors have some amount of negative word of mouth.  It goes with the territory.  Given D1's higher prices I can't imagine they would stay in business if their work was sub-standard.

  If you had to take your car there it would be well serviced albiet at a higher price, but well serviced.  I would also not elect to go back to D1 due to personal issues, but when I was a customer I felt my car was well maintained.   So, even though it is well established that Ed does have his quirks from a customer relations standpoint I don't think it's fair to say they do sub-standard work. I have seen nothing to suggest this.

  Tom

  Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 02:50:54 -0000
   From: "Scott" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I disagree with you on this one. I have heard of more than just bad business practices and high prices coming out of DeLorean One. In fact, it seems to me that I have heard more than one person complain about the work quality.Although,  I have never been myself and would NEVER go there either. .
-Scott

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:49:24 -0800
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Faded tail turn signal lens

I may take heat from the purist DMC crowd, but here goes:

Many D's have this problem:  One taillight lens has the original orange section for the turn signal on one side and the other is faded, almost as clear as the backup lens.  I'm told that Delorean used two different vendors to supply their lenses and one used a dye that didn't bond as well with the plexi-plastic lens, allowing it to fade, over time.

For the most part, replacing the lens with a (now about $125.00) expensive NOS or good one from a wrecked car was the only choice.  I figured that since my car is not a garage trophy and will never need to be a perfect as a concourse show vehicle, I should look for a way to save and use the otherwise perfect lens.

At a local (chain) crafts store named "Michael's" I bought a transparent paint that's painted on glass panes to produce a looks-like stained glass.
I didn't find "orange" but a rose-red and yellow combined to make a really close orange which I painted on the inside of the lens.  It takes 10-20 hours to fully dry and took three coats to get a density that approximates the original, but at a savings of $115 and an outward appearance that's very near original, I'm very happy with it and I've saved using up the dwindling supplies of replacement parts.

Just a suggestion!

Craig Werner

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:19:01 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Refurbished Prices

I am just going by the few I have talked to.

Darkstar

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:58:08 -0000
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: Re: Silicon hose under the intake manifold

To anyone who has ever gone into their valley -

Do you remember if you had a washer on the bolt that holds the return water pipe to the engine block?  Mine did not, and it was already broken when I got in there.  The top portion of the bolt that was broken was incredibly dirty and the part that is *STILL* stuck in my engine is being VERY stubborn.  It was probably the source of anti-freeze leak in my car.

Bill
6976

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:24:37 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Needed on Sat. 3/11

I was contacted by Rob Grady today.  He has someone who DESPERATLY needs a Delorean for a parade this weekend in Mahopac, NY  (near Westchester) The Parade starts at 9:00am and will be approx. 4 hours in length and (you) the volunteer would be driving the car for the event.

If you have interest in participating, please contact me ASAP directly  - delorean(at)abato.net PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ROB GRADY...I have all the details if you are interested

Thank you

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:18:53 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Frame Flex? (weight of galvanising)

I don't know, but I was tempted to ask follow up questions on whether or not he had planned to galvanize the front a bit more than the back for counterbalance, but then, I figured I was just being ignorant about center of gravity issues

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Yes, Aaron still has the dies, I'll be getting him to make me the same
> panel too as I've also removed mine.
>
> Yes, it really did add 40 kg's of weight to the frame, and you'd
> really notice it when you try to lift it/move it.
>
> 40 kgs sounds like a lot I guess, but 40 kgs of extra weight on
top
> of a car which already weighs 1232.73kg is only an increase of 3%, and
> if you ask me, a small price to pay for the results achieved.
> don't think the weight would make the car noticeably slower...
>
> This does not take into account any weight saving by removing the
old
> epoxy - the weight difference was measured from just before
> galvanising onto a completely stripped chassis, to just after,
with
> the zinc coating applied. Anyone know how much weight of epoxy a
> typical DeLorean frame is carrying?
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_> wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > I'm very impressed with the Chassis.  Did Aaron keep the dies he
> made for
> > stamping the panels ?
> >
> > Also did it really add 40 Kgs to the weight of the chassis ?
> That's a lot
> > of weight to add
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > DMC Ltd.
> >

> > On 8/3/06 09:02, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi S & others,
> > >
> > > I put some pics of Aaron's galvanised frame on the Irish
DeLorean
> > > Owners website. I think you'll agree after seeing the pics
that
> Aaron
> > > has done a really good job so far. Some of the work shown
includes
> > > how he replaced 50% of the metal in the front frame extension,
and
> > > fabricated a new plate to go under the engine cradle.
> > >
> > > goto the website:
> > >
> > > http://www.delorean.ie
> > >
> > > and click on technical section, restoration logs, and choose
> Aarons
> > > DeLorean restoration to see the pictures.
> > >
> > > I don't think Aaron has email, but if you want to send him any
> > > comments you can send them to me, and I'll give them to him at
the
> > > weekend when I see him.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John

Delorean

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:57:16 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hi John

What was the weight of the stripped frame? Do you have that number somewhere? I'm curious to know exactly how heavy this thing is.
Thanks

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  5225'17"N 211'59"E
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:21:32 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: Ball joints

David

I do not know for sure where the ball joints came from as I got them with
the car. I just installed them without thinking that they are not the
correct ones. My mistake I guess... There were installed correctly, but they
were a cross reference parts. I later found out that there is a number
stamped on them that matches a number in a parts cross reference that can be
found on the internet. When I looked at the broken joint closely it's pretty
clear the it was NOT designed to carry the weight of the car. In case of the
DeLorean they actually do that, they carry the weight of the front of the
car. The ball joint that failed was Moog KF-33 and the reference also list a
number: K-9025. Those parts are WRONG!! They are not designed to carry the
weight and will fail under load.
You are right, both of my lower ball joints are the same and I am not
driving the car. I will replace both of them and I will get the right ones
this time. Unfortunately you are right about checking the control arm... I
checked it and it is in fact bent. It happened before the winter and I'm not
driving the car since. I need to replace the lower control arm because it is
not repairable. What's even worst.. it seems that the frame itself has
sustained some damage right where the control arm is attached to it.
BTW, the joint failed while driving fairly slow but going straight - no
turns.
I'm waiting for the weather to improve as we again have snow coming our
way... this endless winter is killing me :)

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  5225'17"N 211'59"E
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

for the future searches....
cross reference lower ball joint replacement moog KF-33 or K-9025
WARNING
Even though the part will fit it is not designed for the forces encountered
in the DeLorean and it will fail!

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 22:53:44 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: DMC Netherlands!!!

Hi everyone

Well DMCH has finaly revealed that their new location is in the Netherlands...

Great news for all European owners and I hope that Ed does really well out of this.get over for

Thanks Stephen, James and Ed Uding for sorting all this out, and see you at the open day!!!

Alistair McCann
VIN:- Pilot25
Belfast.

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:22:30 -0600
From: "Guillaume Morel" <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Interview of Ken Gorf, director of finance of DMCA

Dear all,

I made an interview of Ken Gorf who was the treasurer of DMC, Ltd and later
the CFO of DMCA:
http://www.dmc12.fr/doc/DMC12-FR_Interview_of_Kenneth_Gorf.pdf
Hope you'll enjoy his anecdots on DMC, good reading,

Guillaume
VIN2010 - Paris, France

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 23:46:41 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Did anyone ever encounter "Vin 42" ever again?

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:40:18 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Guillaume,

Excellent interview.  Thanks you for taking the time to do
this interview and for posting it for the DeLorean Community
to view and enjoy.  I wish we had more information from many
more former employees, especially during the 25th Anniversary
year of the production of the DeLorean automobile.  I enjoyed
reading through the interview you put together.

You have re-discovered a great resource.

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:58:51 -0500
From: Aaron Crocco <acrocco_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Casting Call for a podcast

Hey everyone.

It's been a long time since I've posted on here but I wanted to put
out the word that I'm starting up a Delorean podcast and I'm looking
for people who would be interested in doing the show with me.  The
show would be a round-table discussion about anything delorean,
lasting about 20 - 30 minutes.  This would be done via Skype or Gizmo
once or twice a month.

If you're interested in being a part of this amazing new format and a
great asset of the DMC community, please let me know.  E-mail me off-
list so I can find the posts easier.

Thanks!

Aaron Crocco
VIN 5591