From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 11:05 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3149

1. Re: Faded tail turn signal lens
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

2. Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

3. A/C Working Right??
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

4. Saturday Tech session added attraction
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. A/C Working Right??
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

6. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

8. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: Alistair McCann <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

9. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

11. PHEASANT SOLD OUT!!!!....anyone booked anywhere else yet??
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: A/C Working Right??
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

13. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

14. Re: A/C Working Right??
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: Joshua Schwartz <Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Misfire
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

19. Hotel Rooms DCS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Misfire
From: "Johnny Sawyer" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: Misfire
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

23. Re: Hotel Rooms DCS
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social 2006
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

25. Re: PHEASANT SOLD OUT!!!!....anyone booked anywhere else yet??
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:55:47 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Faded tail turn signal lens

Craig,

I once thought about doing this and did find the correct color at Joanne's Fabrics, but when I looked closer I found 2 problems:

1) it seemed that only part of the turn signal lens was accessible  from the rear.  That is there was the lateral section which seemed seal off  from the rest.

2) On my lenses there was a milky white appearance which I didn't think would get any better by tinting the inside and tinting the outside seemed like too much wok because of the black lattice.

I waited and waited and finally bought a complete set of all lenses, bulbs, and headlight when they went on sale after the DMC Texas meeting.

D▓ & 6530

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:49:24 -0800
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Faded tail turn signal lens

I may  take heat from the purist DMC crowd, but here goes:

Many D's have this  problem:  One taillight lens has the original orange section for the  turn signal on one side and the other is faded, almost as clear as the  backup lens.  I'm told that Delorean used two different vendors to  supply their lenses and one used a dye that didn't bond as well with  the plexi-plastic lens, allowing it to fade, over time.

For the most  part, replacing the lens with a (now about $125.00) expensive NOS or good  one from a wrecked car was the only choice.  I figured that since my  car is not a garage trophy and will never need to be a perfect as  a concourse show vehicle, I should look for a way to save and use  the otherwise perfect lens.

At a local (chain) crafts store named  "Michael's" I bought a transparent paint that's painted on glass panes to  produce a looks-like stained glass.
I didn't find "orange" but a rose-red  and yellow combined to make a really close orange which I painted on the  inside of the lens.  It takes 10-20 hours to fully dry and took three  coats to get a density that approximates the original, but at a savings of  $115 and an outward appearance that's very near original, I'm very happy  with it and I've saved using up the dwindling supplies of replacement  parts.

Just a suggestion!

Craig Werner

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:35:22 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks

I am considering coil spring and shock upgrades, but am concerned about the cost of the Eibach springs and shocks.  It seems that the entire package costs about $900.  What are people's experience with this package, versus simply upgrading the front end only with non- Eibach set-up?  What are the options?  I am mostly interested in leveling the front end to the proper height, as I don't like the nose- high feeling and look, but still want relatively good performance, as well.  Can I do it for $500 instead.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:36:52 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: A/C Working Right??

Hi everyone

I got my delorean converted from R12 to R134 today.  I have never had the a/c working in my car before and want to know if it is working right.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:00:32 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Saturday Tech session added attraction

[[In/Near Cincinnati Ohio]]

Ok here is a bit of a teaser

We are going to assemble and get running a BTTF DeLorean

So those that are there can help participate

There is a catch to this but you need to be there to find out

or wait till after

Its Saturday 10:00 AM until ??????
Located off the Glendale Milford Exit on I 75 (2 exits south of 275)
Go west on Glendale Milford to Chester (< 1 mile) top of hill
Turn left
2nd or third drive on left

Sunday parade

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:43:33 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

Hi everyone

I got my delorean converted from R12 to R134 today.  I have never had the a/c working in
my car before and want to know if it is working right.

I have John Herveys fan fail kit so when the fans come on the "FAN FAIL" light comes on, I
also have the DPNW uprated cooling fans.

When driving home from the refill I noticed that the fan fail light would come on every
10-20 seconds or so and then switch off after about 10-20 more seconds... Is this
normal???  Also I could hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse/relay box which would
happen when the fan fail light came on,  I stopped the car and waited for the fan light and
the cooling fans came on and then after 10-20 seconds or so switched off again.

All I want to know is, IS THIS NORMAL???????  This happened whenever the a/c was on,
even at motorway speeds, everything is ormal when the a/c is off.

Its blowing really cold though, so thats a major +!!!

Alistair McCann
VIN:- Pilot25
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:55:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Working Right??

  It's working perfectly!  The A/C is wired so that your cooling fans kick on every time the compressor cycles on.  In other words, any time the compressor is chuggin', the fans should be on.  So, not only is your A/C working right, but your car is wired correctly and the low pressure switch is working.

  Jake Kamphoefner
  001063

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:59:02 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Alistair

This is perfectly normal. This is how the A/C should work regardless of the
refrigerant used.
The clicking you hear is the cooling fan relay and it clicks when the A/C
compressor comes on to provide cooling for the condenser.
The 'on' time will be longer when the weather gets hotter and shorter when
cold. Off time will be exactly the opposite - long when cold and short when
hot.

Stay cool ;)

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  52░25'17"N 21░1'59"E
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:32:33 +0000
From: Alistair McCann <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

Thank you all for the quick response!!!

Had a feeling that this was another thing to fix before Eurofest.

Alistair
VIN:- Pilot25
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:53:53 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Mine does the same thing since I recharged the AC last year when I
bought the car.  I also have the same Fan Fail circuit,  I am still
annoyed by the kicking on and off, and am thinking about buying the
lower amp fans to help with this.  I thought I heard that there is
an adjustment to the low pressure switch that should be used to make
the cycling closer to 45 seconds, or whatever it states in the
manual.  Is this correct?

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:35:22 -0000
From: "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net>

Paul,
I recently installed a set of Houston´┐Żs Shocks combined with Grady´┐Żs
lowered front springs, at the customer´┐Żs request. Since the rear
shocks are adjustable I was able to lower the rears down to a balanced
height. The car looked great and drove great after the upgrade. While
it isn´┐Żt exactly a shade tree job, the installation was smooth and the
customer really likes the new height and drive. I don´┐Żt recall the
final price on the shocks from Houston or the front lower springs from
Grady so I cant give you a price tag. Hope this help.
Best of Luck!
seanM

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:15:26 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: PHEASANT SOLD OUT!!!!....anyone booked anywhere else yet??

Just wondering where others have booked since the main location is
SOLD OUT....The Hampton is 20mins away, that sucks...There has to be
something closer..and cheaper....thankyou..

Brian D
#05905

STILL NEED A NEW HEAD GASKET

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:30:05 -0000
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

I have the same setup, although I took the air-con panel off and placed a
piece of insulation tape across the back of the 'Fail' graphics so that just
the word 'cooling' illuminates.  Otherwise passengers are always asking
about the bright red 'fail' being shone back at them.

Low cost and works well.

Regards,

Chris Hawes
Vin 5255 'blowing cold for summer'

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:48:24 +0000 (GMT)
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

Hi Paul

I have the lower amp fans aswell and I dont think that they cause any
change in the way the a/c works....???

The fact that I hear a clicking noise is sort of annoying but I can
live with it if I know that the a/c is working the way it should and
that I am not burning up in the drivers seat!!!

Its amazing the difference from having no a/c to feeling how much
colder the air is coming from the vents, and now that I have changed
from R12 I can pop into any garage now and get it recharged.

See you all at Eurofest!!

Alistair
VIN:- Pilot25
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:19:51 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I'm not even sure what my DeLorean has in it.  Either R12 or the
R134a.  How can I tell so if and whne I need the A/C worked on I know
what I'm dealing with?  I don't know if it was converted.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:12:05 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 3/10/2006 10:47:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Paul...I can vouch for the Eibach set-up.  I upgraded this summer and  the D
rides like it is on rails.  The original owner had lowered the car  with the
standard spring cut lower.  The car now rides so much better with  Eibach. It
does not come cheap but I consider it worth every  dollar.

Roy
0893

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:10:27 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Bite the bullet and do the whole thing. If you just do the front, the
car is going to look funny in my opinion.

I have the Eibach setup and love it. It's quite spendy, though. I'm
lucky to have bought last year when the price was much lower, and it
was still expensive even then. But when I bought a car like this, I
knew some parts were going to be heavy on the pocketbook. This is just
one of them.

-Ryan

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:25:11 -0500
From: Joshua Schwartz <Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com>

Paul and List,

I too had sticker shock when I learned of the cost of the entire Eibach
kit, but felt that the benefit of superior handling was greater than the
cost. While I'm not certain if the same results can be achieved by
spending $500 rather than the $900 or so, I can tell you that the
difference in ride, cornering and the drifting associated with the "nose
high" front end is well worth the cost. Last year I purchased VIN 20098
and decided to have every major component restored. One of the upgrades
was having the Eibach kit installed. This vehicle was in non running
condition when I purchased it, so I can't comment on how it handled with
the OEM suspension. However, when I purchased VIN 001292 in 1994, it had
the OEM suspension, was "nose high" and at high speed, it liked to
wander and felt unstable while cornering. I have since had the springs
changed out, though I still use the OEM shocks. After the restoration
was completed (by a very reputable and highly regarded DeLorean vendor
in my area) I noticed a drastic change in the feel of VIN 020098, versus
VIN 001292. The ride was softer than what I was used to, yet still firm.
Cornering was dramatically improved and the drifting associated with the
"nose high" front end was gone. This car felt and handled like it should
(too bad it doesn't move the way it looks!).

I do have one gripe about the kit. After picking up this car and putting
on about 100 miles on the new suspension, I noticed a loud noise coming
from the front of the car when I hit a dip in the road, came to a quick
stop or while turning into a corner while using my brakes. The noise is
akin to the sound of a spring bending in one direction and snapping
back. I took the car back to the vendor for diagnosis after putting on
another 200 miles, as I knew something wasn't right. As it turns out,
while the kit has been installed properly, there is a manufacturing
difference in the Eibach springs versus the OEM springs. From what I
gather, the OEM springs come with rubber isolators mounted with each
spring when installed on the vehicle. The Eibach kit doesn't include
these isolators. The OEM spring is a bit larger than the Eibach spring,
so when swapping out the springs, you must re-use the OEM isolators.
This causes the spring to move around in the situations mentioned above
and causes the noise I hear. While I've been told that it isn't a safety
issue, it is a bit disconcerting and makes the vehicle sound like it's
going to come "unglued." The company having the Eibach kit produced has
a remedy to stop the noise, but it doesn't address the isolator issue,
not to mention that the "fix" is questionable in my opinion. This remedy
is not something the vendor I use is willing to perform to this vehicle
or other vehicles they install the Eibach kit on. Oddly enough, some
cars experience this sound, others don't. I do remember reading a few
months back a posting to the DML or the DMC Help forum about this
condition, though I don't believe a permanent solution was offered by
the poster or by the company having the Eibach kit produced.

Prior to the DCS, I look forward to bringing VIN 020098 back to the shop
for a few cosmetics and to have a check done to the front
springs/suspension for premature wear and hopefully a solution. If it
isn't fixed and still makes the noise, anyone is welcome to "experience"
it at the DCS. Just look me up...

- Joshua Schwartz

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:29:42 -0000
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Misfire

Hi All,

I was out driving today and as the day went on I noticed a sort of misfire
around 3500 revs under acceleration.  At first I thought it was dirt in the
fuel but ruled out that one when I noticed it happening regularly under
acceleration and at 3500 revs.  I also thought it may be off a cylinder.

Any other suggestions.

Belfast

Ps: re door adjustment.

My passenger door has been playing up since yesterday and wont open.  I can
adjust the rear catch to open ok but the front one will not release as
easily.

Cheers.

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:57:34 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Hotel Rooms DCS

 It appears that rooms in the St Charles area are going to be getting tighter as time goes on.
The Bloomington Gold has now sold out most of its rooms and are looking for more hotels as well.

Just a reminder if you need a room PLEASE BOOK

I am getting two to three calls a day asking for rooms yet we are  not seeing that in bookings at the Hampton.

Rooms at Pheasant run will not suddenly reappear so please book now so if we need more rooms I can get them.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:43:47 -0000
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceboy_2912" <seanmm_at_dml_...> wrote:
There are pics of my suspension setup under the same name in the photos
section of this.. I have the eibach srpings but have the adjustable shocks from
Ed Uding and also have redone all the bushings with urethane..Dave...>

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:14:18 -0700
From: "Johnny Sawyer" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Misfire

Did your car get wet recently?  A simple check would be to look in the spark
plug wells under the boots to see if any water is in any of them.

I had this problem at one time, and it was an easy fix with an air
compressor.

Johnny
5518
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:13:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

How long has it been since the last tune-up, 25 years or so! How old
are your ignition wires, and spark plugs? How about the air filter? If
it has been a while this is a sign of the need for a tune-up.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:33:35 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Hotel Rooms DCS

I find this pretty mysterious. The show has been scheduled for almost
two years now. It's been known for over a year that the BG Corvette
show would be at the same time and would contend for rooms. You can
always reserve a hotel room at NO CHARGE and it's cancellable until the
day that you are supposed to get there. Why are people waiting until
NOW to reserve a room?

And with all the complaining about the PR hotel being full, why aren't
more people signed up at the Hampton? Yes - there are other hotels in
the area, but they are also rapidly filling up, and you won't find
anything any cheaper, at least not something you'd want to park a
DeLorean in front of, or sleep in for that matter.

I've had a reservation since last June.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:24:42 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social 2006

Just a reminder, the DMA spring social is coming up soon.   While we are
working out final details, we have updated the club website with the
preliminary details for you
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

We encourage all to attend!

This spring, we are also asking for people who are interested in:
- Donating items for our raffle
- Running for Club office

If you are interested, please send a note to DMA-Officers(at)yahoogroups.com
<mailto:DMA-Officers_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>

Thanks, and hope to see you all at the social!  we want to break last years
record of 38 cars!!!

- DMA Club Officers

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:10:47 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Most people have booked at the Hampton because the other hotels are sold  out.

847-931-1940.

We are working on electronic  registration for the Hampton and should have it
soon.

Ken
 ------

-