From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:49 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3151

1. Re: Hotel Rooms DCS
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Hotel Rooms DCS
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Eurofest and Lotus
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

4. Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: Re: A/C Working Right??
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

6. Door locks...ARGGGH!
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

7. Island Duel Turbo
From: "Dirt Ronin" <resdog_at_dml_westol.com>

8. Manual Gearbox Fluid Change
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Speed hut guages & Ball joints
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: PHEASANT SOLD OUT!!!!....anyone booked anywhere else yet??
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Deloreans in West Michigan
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

13. Checked my TABs.... AARG!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hotel Rooms DCS

I know Ken has put a lot of emphisis on registering early.  This is why!  I believe rooms became available as early as last summer.  It didn't/doesn't cost anything to book your room, and you can cancel at almost any time without losing money.  I registered at the last minute for the Memphis show and I missed getting into the hotel.  I didn't make that mistake again.
  So, for 2008...remember...REGISTER FOR YOUR HOTEL EARLY!!!  That way more of us can stay in the same place since rooms are more likely to be open a year before instead of 3 months.  Plus, again, you don't have to pay for it until you use it and you can cancel at almost anytime.

  Erik
  04512

kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:
  It appears that rooms in the St Charles area are going to be getting tighter as time goes on.
The Bloomington Gold has now sold out most of its rooms and are looking for more hotels as well.

Just a reminder if you need a room PLEASE BOOK

I am getting two to three calls a day asking for rooms yet we are not seeing that in bookings at the Hampton.

Rooms at Pheasant run will not suddenly reappear so please book now so if we need more rooms I can get them.

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:49:24 -0800
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS"
Subject: Faded tail turn signal lens

I may take heat from the purist DMC crowd, but here goes:

Many D's have this problem: One taillight lens has the original orange section for the turn signal on one side and the other is faded, almost as clear as the backup lens. I'm told that Delorean used two different vendors to supply their lenses and one used a dye that didn't bond as well with the plexi-plastic lens, allowing it to fade, over time.

For the most part, replacing the lens with a (now about $125.00) expensive NOS or good one from a wrecked car was the only choice. I figured that since my car is not a garage trophy and will never need to be a perfect as a concourse show vehicle, I should look for a way to save and use the otherwise perfect lens.

At a local (chain) crafts store named "Michael's" I bought a transparent paint that's painted on glass panes to produce a looks-like stained glass.
I didn't find "orange" but a rose-red and yellow combined to make a really close orange which I painted on the inside of the lens. It takes 10-20 hours to fully dry and took three coats to get a density that approximates the original, but at a savings of $115 and an outward appearance that's very near original, I'm very happy with it and I've saved using up the dwindling supplies of replacement parts.

Just a suggestion!

Craig Werner

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:25:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just an FYI for everyone.  I just now reserved my room
at the Hampton.  It's 2:14am on Saturday morning.  For
kicks, I asked them how many rooms under the DCS 06
group had been reserved.  I was #14 already.  Granted,
Ken got these rooms I believe around Feb 21st, but I
have a feeling that these last 36 rooms will go
*Poof!* pretty quickly as time gets closer...

Let's be honest, we're all not going to look for the
cheapest rate.  Those of us staying outside the PR
hotel are going to want to congregate with other
DeLoreans for a sense of unity - it's always easier to
feel safe in a group than by yourself.  At least I
feel that way, and with 13 other owners already at the
Hampton, I'm happy =P.  Now traffic in PR in summer of
06, that will suck but oh well =P.  Least I got a room
now, and I feel for those who wait even later..

Jeremiah

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:03:28 -0000
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Eurofest and Lotus

I have just registered for both events and looking forward to catching up
with everyone.  I went to the last Eurofest in May 2001 but did not become
an owner until the following January.  Very pleased to see that an ‘Auto
test championship’ is part of the programme.

Robert, can you elaborate on this, is it speed trials, a circuit and where
is it being held?

Also, how many cars are now registered?

Regards,

Chris Hawes

Vin 5255 (Milton Keynes)

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:36:07 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Super Strength Ball Joints

A question to any of the vendors:  What are the chances of having
super strength ball joints produced.  Same concept as the Toby TABS.
Ball joints cost about $50, I'd pay ALOT more for ones that I can feel
comfortable driving on (mine's a daily driver).  Maybe take pre-orders
like DMCH did with the headlight switches, to make sure there is
enough demand for them.  Charge me whatever you want, I want the peace
of mind.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:09:42 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: A/C Working Right??

The fittings on the compressor are unique to the type of refrigerant you have. The original R12 fittings would have or should have  been changed if another refrigerant was installed. Any AC shop will know the difference.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:56:21 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Door locks...ARGGGH!

I have a chronic problem with my driver side door. Yes, yes, I did the lock
rod adjustment procedure in the workshop manual.  Yes, yes I did lube
everything- locking mechanisms inside door, bellcranks etc. Yes, I do "close"  the
latches manually when I cycle the locks with the doors open, and open them
before I close the door. No, I don't have a bad solenoid. I wonder if I have a
bad lockset in the door. This is what happens- everything works just fine-
usually- except that if I use the driver side keylock, sometimes it will jam,
make a strange sound, or not turn well, or barely turn at all in one direction.
But if I unlock the passenger side INSTEAD, both sides unlock and will open
just  fine. If I always lock and unlock on the passenger side, I never have a
problem.  I've been doing that for months. After the driver side jams, the
passenger side  can't fix it, unless I manually tweak the upper bellcrank as
follows:  when it jams, I can see the uppermost part of the upper bellcrank- the
part that attaches to the door handle cable- sticking straight vertical, as if
pre-tensioned by the cable, which it's not. Push the thing back into position
with your finger, and the door opens just fine from inside. (I have my upper
door panel off for observation, BTW.)  So after doing the adjustment
procedure, which didn't need much adjustment, and lubing it, it worked great.
Especially with my original DMC key, which I rarely use. So I took the armrest
assembly (with the door latch & lock) back off to install the water shield,  and
reinstalled them.  As long as I reached inside the window and used  the inside
lock switch and door release handle, it worked perfectly. Then when I  used
the key from the outside... even with the "good" key, the problem  returned.
Locks just fine with the key too,  But once it's locked, it jams.  Any
suggestions?
Wayne

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:50:13 -0000
From: "Dirt Ronin" <resdog_at_dml_westol.com>
Subject: Island Duel Turbo

I have a 81 DMC with a Island duel turbo kit installed.  The
muffler/exhaust is starting to rust through.  I am having an
impossible time locating a replacement for the pipes.  Any
suggestions? Thanks! I am near Pittsburgh if anyone wants the job.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:28:36 -0000
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Manual Gearbox Fluid Change

I am planning on changing my Manual Gearbox fluid, just because I'm
not sure about the last time it was done.  I picked up some Valvoline
75W-90 Gear Oil.  Would this be a safe weight and correct product for
the gearbox?  Any other recommendations?  The warm weather is coming
and  I can't wait to get her out of hibernation!

Rick
0802
Ferndale, MI

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:31:24 -0000
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Speed hut guages & Ball joints

Hi,

I have just had some speed hut guage 'overlays'installed

www.speedhut.com/el_detail.asp?catagory=DMC&auto_number=447&bhcp=1

and i'm not 100% happy with the joints between the guages. Just
wondering if anyone else has had them installed and there toughts? I
had white guage faces and you can still see a fine black line coming
through from the black color benieth were they join. If i had black
guages then i'm sure this wouldnt be almost as obvious.

Also on ball joints, i installed new ones from a vendor about a year
ago ( i havent driven the car since ) and i am just finishing
putting the front end back together now. I noticed a very small
amount of play in what i thought was the wheel bearing.
When i actually got under the car with a torch and got someone else
to move the wheel i noticed the play was feeling was in the lower
ball joints. Is this small amount of play normal when the car is
jacked up ie. the ball joint is not under load ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Cheers, Nick - Sydney

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:05:56 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PHEASANT SOLD OUT!!!!....anyone booked anywhere else yet??

Brian,

Are you going to be by yourself? If so, Why don't you post the question of sharing a room
with another single party that has already reserved a room. This would cut your room
expenses in half:-)

Just a thought.

Dennis

Btw: My wife will be with me otherwise I would extend the offer to you, Sorry.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:28:25 -0000
From: "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Deloreans in West Michigan

Hi, just thought I would check again to see if any new people have
joined the DML from the West Michigan area?  If so, drop me a line.
I'm in Holland.

Erik

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:35:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Super Strength Ball Joints

I think you can have plenty of piece of mind with the
ball joints you have,provided they are the correct
type.Tom's Ball Joint failure is the first I've ever
heard of on a DeLorean,although it may have happened
before.But since it was a non genuine part I don'think
we've got anything to worry about.Sure, maybe they
could be better, but why would a vendor go the
considerable trouble and expense to develop a new part
when the one we have is perfectly okay.I bet a large
majority of DeLoreans out there are still running on
the original ball joints and I don't hear reports of
ball joints failing all over the place.My car was a
daily driver for several years and all that went wrong
with my ball joints was the boots split and the grease
leaked out.The joint itself was fine.
IMHO a much bigger area of concern in the front
suspension is the lower control arms.18 months ago my
left one snapped in two near the ball joint.Luckily I
was going slowly, backing into my garage when it
happened, but if it had happened on my way to work
going 100km/h the results could have been pretty bad
to say the least.
So check you control arms and don't worry about the
ball joints.

Cheers,
Andrew
Australia

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:21:50 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!

I guess its not so bad, just that my drivers side shims are all gone.
I tried to shake the trailing arm but it is not loose. The bolt itself
looks ok. I was thinking of taking the car down to Garden Grove on
monday to have the shims put back on (and aligned i guess). I checked
them when I bought the car and the shims were all there. I have not
noticed any handling problems but I have heard that it is dangerous to
drive without the shims. Ill try to post some pics in the picture
section under shims of both sides. Thankyou for any advice.

Nathan