From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 5:32 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3152

From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

16. Re: Phesant Run
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Looking for an owner...
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

18. AW: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

19. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints + Lower Conrol Arms
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Deloreans in West Michigan
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

22. Re: Looking for an owner...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

24. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

25. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:15:21 -0000
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: shock length and compressed length?

1...Compressed length
2...Extended Length

anyone?

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:21:50 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Island Duel Turbo

I assume that  your system probably has dual cats and no muffler if it is like my Island system.
I just had my cats replaced by a local muffler shop with the free flowing platinun wire catalyst type. Any good shop can take your old flange and weld it on to the new cat along with the stainless tailpipes. In this case you need a pretty small cat to fit in the given space so they may need to order it.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:53:39 -0500
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Speed hut guages & Ball joints

Have not played with the Speed hut guages, but would love to see them!
can you post some pictures?

Michael

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 04:52:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If the down-pipe is what you are looking for, any large muffler shop should be able to cut out the old one and bend up and weld a new one for you. As for the muffler, if you have the early Island set-up which used 2 mufflers, the shop should be able to get you new ones, they are pretty generic. If you have 2 cats, they should not be rusting through but they can also be replaced, they will just cost more. As for the tips, any muffler shop should be able to replace them too. If all else fails, you can still get this stuff from Island Turbo-Manifold Turbo.

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:32:17 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!

Nathan,

Josh P. and the Silver Beast had exactly the same type problem, except his was a missing bolt.  Trying to move the wheel either loaded or unloaded will not show you anything.  We caught Josh's when we jacked up his car and had almost all the weight off the wheel, but it was still in contact with the ground.  By grabbing the wheel in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and pushing and pulling, we were able to move the whole assembly about a half an inch.  (NOT GOOD)  If your shims are missing, then every bump you hit while driving is causing the trailing arm to move fore and aft this same way.  I'd recommend you get it fixed ASAP, which will include a new rear end alignment.

Mike

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:03:02 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Manual Gearbox Fluid Change

Rick,

My transmission is out of my car right now, and I am planning on selecting  a
new transmission fluid for it.  Since I replaced a couple of seals on
tranny, I plan on running some regular old Valvoline 80w90 in it as a rinse oil,
then after a month or so I am draining and refilling with this:
_http://www.specialtyformulations.com/MTL-P.htm_
(http://www.specialtyformulations.com/MTL-P.htm)
This oil comes highly recommended from complete oil nuts on an oil and lube
forum I belong to - these are guys who do used oil analysis and such, and I
trust their opinion on this fluid.  You may want to check it out too.

Andy

In a message dated 3/11/2006 4:19:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I am  planning on changing my Manual Gearbox fluid, just because I'm
not sure  about the last time it was done.  I picked up some Valvoline
75W-90  Gear Oil.  Would this be a safe weight and correct product for
the  gearbox?  Any other recommendations?  The warm weather is  coming
and  I can't wait to get her out of  hibernation!

Rick
0802
Ferndale, MI

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:37:52 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hotel Rooms DCS

In a message dated 3/11/2006 5:16:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Just an  FYI for everyone.  I just now reserved my room
at the Hampton.   It's 2:14am on Saturday morning.  For
kicks, I asked them how many  rooms under the DCS 06
group had been reserved.  I was #14  already.  Granted,
Ken got these rooms I believe around Feb 21st, but  I
have a feeling that these last 36 rooms will go
*Poof!* pretty quickly  as time gets closer...

Just a note the reason there are 36 left is I reserved more rooms on
Thursday since we were down to 15.

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:07:56 -0800
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Phesant Run

Does anyone know if there is an RV park nearby?  How about an open field,
truck turnaround or parking lot large enough to allow RV dry camping? WE'll
be in the middle of a long trip and if we can make it to Chicago (PR), we'll
be in the RV (I'd like to tow the DMC but I'd need to put out another $900
or so for a tow dolly and I'm really not up for that since I don't usually
take it) with the Jeep dinghy.

Thanks for any suggestions.  I'll be checking the KOA and GoodSam books to
see if there's anything nearby.

Craig Werner

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:20:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I already tried, they are not taking reservations yet.
 :(

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You can call Eleanore and see if she still has pipes.
Last I heard, she still does have some parts left
although maybe not full kits.

Other than that, any decent muffler shop should be
able to bend pipe for you and weld the correct flange
on the end for the Turbo (you may have to buy that
part and bring it to them).

You may also want to find a local "tuner", if they do
not do custom exhaust they will know someone who does.
 May be a good opportunity to replace the pipe and
muffler with stainless!

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:12:24 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Super Strength Ball Joints

If you haven't heard of ball joints breaking then you haven't read
enough about Deloreans.  And, most importantly, considering the cars
are NOT driven that much, the fact that it's reported as much as it
is shows there's a problem.  Imagine that these cars were driven like
normal cars, say 10,000 miles per year.  If there were 5,000 cars out
there, that would be 50 MILLION MILES a year.  You'd hear about ball
joints breaking all the time, and they'd probably ban the cars from
the road as safety hazards.  I have mine checked each time I get my
oil changed, and it still worries me based on everything I've read,
given the consequences if it happens at speed.  There are lots of web
sites available to read up on stuff like this.

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:51:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If the shims are missing it would indicate either there never were any
shims, the bolt is bent, or the bolt loosend up either because the
shims were crushed, the bushing spacer was crushed, the bolt strechted
or bent, or the nuts loosened up. In any case you should replace the
bolts and get a 4 wheel alignment. After the alignment you should
record the # of shims with a magic marker on the frame and in a
logbook you should be keeping on the car. If the bolt is bent or loose
it is very dangerous to continue driving on it. There is no set # of
shims. It varies from car to car. There is a limit on them though. You
are not supposed to exceed 5 shims per side. Take the alignment specs
with you to the alignment shop. He can enter them manually into his
machine to do the car. Most shops will not have the Delorean specs in
their database.

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:29:45 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Does anyone know if DMC Garden Grove has the capability to do the
alignment? I will call them on Monday to see, would be nice to have
it all done at once.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:05:52 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Looking for an owner...

Hey.  My room mate saw a D yesterday on his way to work.  It was in Orland Park, IL.
on 159th St. heading east near 80th Ave.  He said the licence plate was "GIGAWAT".
Is it anyone on the list?  I would love to get in touch with another local owner.

Corey
2423

coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com
corey.ooms_at_dml_us.army.mil

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:29:21 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Nathan - There are a couple of points that I would like to make
here.  In addition to the causes noted by David in this post,
another possible contributor to the joint loosening up is wear on
the large flat washers that are part of this installation.  I have
seen many of them that had substantial wear.  This wear is started
by one of the other causes - mostly by bolt stretch - and once the
joint is slightly loose, the movement will quickly wear the
washers.  Make sure to flip the washers to offer a fresh wear
surface when the bolts are replaced.  The washers will eventually
need replacement.  Second point - DO NOT allow the alignment shop to
use aftermarket thin shims for the alignment.  They always want to
get the alignment exact, but the thin shims I have seen often will
crush down and drop out, which starts the whole process over again.
You will notice that the DeLorean spec shime are thick and hard -
this is a good thing in a clamped dynamic joint.  If you can't get
them to use DMC shims only, at least insist that the thins shims be
installed in the middle of the stack, so that the DMC shims are in
contact with the trailing arm and the bushing sleeve.

If you let us know, we can have a set of TOBY-TAB's sent to Garden
Grove for your car.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:44:52 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Phesant Run

You can always park at a local walmart for free

Dennis

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:13:39 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for an owner...

If that is the case why not join your local club and you can meet lots
of local owners.

http://www.delorean-midwest.org/

Mark V

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:27:46 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Super Strength Ball Joints

In about 4 years I only heared of two ball joints breaking:
mine and the one from Tom.

Mine (and aftermarket part from a VW) only broke because the
nyloc nut got loose - I didn't install the recall thing as I
didn't want to drill in it. So it was my fault.

I don't believe that there is anything to worry about them.
If you wanna be worried look at the lower control arms that
tend to brake with age !!!!!

Elvis & 6548

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:29:41 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have not heard much about replacment ball joints failing. However, there was a safety
recall campaign early on to replace the lowers on curtain early cars. Of the failures that
you occaisionally here about, it is rarely stated whether or not the failed joint was an
unchanged original or a replacement unit per the safety recall. It is amazing to here about
cars that still don't have the 3 major safety campaigns performed. The most notable and
easiest to spot being the frame reinforcment at the frame extension.  Their are still a lot of
unaccounted for cars out there. After all the DML only has 1800 plus registered members
and not all own cars. That leaves 2/3's of the cars in the hands of uniformed owners. Just
think of all the owners who don't know there is a well established service and parts
network for the car.

The major DMC suppliers have either Remanufactured or aftermarket units that require
spacer kits.

Dennis

DMC owner since 1994

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:32:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Super Strength Ball Joints + Lower Conrol Arms

We do not hear about lower control arms breaking all the time either.
It does happen occasionally. I believe many, if not most, lower
control arm failures can be traced back to improperly handling the
car, either by towing or by hooking on them to yank the car onto a
flat-bed. They WILL NOT survive if they have been bent by a recovery
hook. On many foreign cars there are explicit warnings against pulling
on suspension parts. They are not made for that kind of force.
Unfortunetly many tow truck operators don't even look. They will get
on one knee and lift the hook up into the chassis and when it stops
they think they have it hooked. They rip brake hoses, C/V boots, ball
joint seals, whatever. The unsuspecting owner never figures out where
the damage came from. Pulling a Delorean by it's lower control arms is
VERY BAD. The ONLY place to pull the car is by the hooks on the frame
just behind the crumple tubes. If the frame is too rusted to pull
there (or they are missing) then you have to pull directly on the
frame somewhere. I admit it can be difficult to hook up a Delorean
correctly, especially in the dark, in the rain, in traffic and the
operator is in a hurry and doesn't look because the car is so low to
the ground. He has to actually lay on the ground to do it right and
most won't.

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:46:03 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Deloreans in West Michigan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcerik" <dmcerik_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi, just thought I would check again to see if any new people have
> joined the DML from the West Michigan area?  If so, drop me a line.
> I'm in Holland.
>
> Erik
> 04512

HI Erik,
I am not quite in West Michigan, though Holland isn't that long of
drive from me. I am hosting a spring get together at my place May 6th,
go to the link for more info. Anyone with a Delorean is welcome,
members or non members of clubs is never a concern.
http://ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm

Byron

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:24:26 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I'm a member of the DeLorean Midwest Connection already.  I just did not recognize
this car as anyone I knew.

Corey
2423

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:48:59 -0000
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

Again I have only heard of 2 or 3 cases of the lower ball joints failing and
one (maybe more) were NOT OEM parts or did not have the factory recall. I
believe DMCH has just re produced the lower ball joints so if there was a
problem they would have done somthing about it already. IMHO the biggest
problem with the lower ball joints is where they fit into the lower control
arm. I have just rebuilt my front suspension and the lower ball joints were
loose in the control arms and my car only has 25K. PJ Grady, and I think
Special T Auto, sell a re inforcement ring that fits over the the pressed
metal which keeps the fitting tight are removes the sloppy fitting. Grady pn
119266G. Well worth considering.

Regards

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:16:58 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10,000 a year??  That'd be a light year for me.  There are several of us out
here who do drive our cars every day.  Unless you are neglecting the recall,
installing inferior parts, or otherwise ignoring damage the ball joint, it
should be the least of your worries.

I'd be willing to bet that the failures you're hearing about come from
uninformed owners driving on  un-recalled cars, or those who use a joint
from a cross-over that is incorrect.  As long as you are using the right
part, there is nothing that needs improvement on the DMC ball joint.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 <---all recalls done

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:51:11 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Add mine to the list, that makes 3.  Mine was something that
couldn't be detected, the metal post (not sure if I'm saying that
right) sheared in half.  And I can remember reading about at least 4
others on this list.  Mine wasn't the original when it broke.  I
subsequently had it fixed by one of the major Delorean vendors, and
4 months later the alignment shop noticed it was bad - if they
didn't notice it there was the potential for a future disaster, all
along with me thinking that since I just had it replaced 4 months
earlier it must be OK (the alignment shop didn't do that type of
work, they weren't trying to get more work from it, actually
wouldn't align the car until I had it fixed elsewhere).  I sent it
back to the vendor and they replaced it free (another good reason to
use a Delorean vendor for parts and service).  I'd bet DMCH, PJ
Grady, John Hervey and others have some better insight into how many
they've seen break.  Again, these are cars that aren't really driven
much, that's the statistical key here.  All I'm suggesting is that
for parts that have potentially deadly consequences if they fail,
that if a "super" strength part was available, I'd pay more, alot
more.  If the consequence is minor, such as an alternator failing or
fuel pump breaking, I'll take my chances since it should only
involve a tow truck and some embarrasment.