From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 8:49 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3153

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Speed hut guages & Ball joints
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

2. Fuel Distributor ect
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Looking for an owner...
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

4. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Super Strength Ball Joints
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

6. Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

7. Rocker panel clips
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

9. Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. Re: Speed hut guages & Ball joints
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

11. Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade 2006 (follow-up)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. Re: Looking for an owner...
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Re: Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

14. Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Sleeping beauty
From: "mps2700" <mps2700_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Rocker panel clips
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: Deloreans in West Michigan
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Sleeping beauty
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Re: Sleeping beauty
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Rocker panel clips
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

23. Re: Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Sleeping beauty
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

25. Re: Fuel Distributor ect
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>





Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:16:24 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Speed hut guages & Ball joints

Hello.

It is not normal to have play in the ball joints.  Something is wrong.

Rick.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> Also on ball joints, i installed new ones from a vendor about a
year 
> ago ( i havent driven the car since ) and i am just finishing putting 
> the front end back together now. I noticed a very small amount of play 
> in what i thought was the wheel bearing.
> When i actually got under the car with a torch and got someone else to 
> move the wheel i noticed the play was feeling was in the lower ball 
> joints. Is this small amount of play normal when the car is jacked up 
> ie. the ball joint is not under load ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
> 
> 
> Cheers, Nick - Sydney
>








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:42:05 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel Distributor ect

Was speaking to someone, and he stated that I probably need to get a new fuel distributor to fix my current fuel problems. While I know that most of the Delorean parts sites list a fuel distributor, I was wondering if there was perhaps a cheaper cross reference somewhere out there that I could use... Not that I am cheap, but since, i probably need to replace the warm-up regulator, the accumulator, as well as the injectors I was wondering if there was something else that worked just as well, but cost less :-) (I know owning an exotic car costs money, but lets face it... I am cheap)

Perhaps a known method to clean that puppy out, ie remove any rust from the bolts with holes in them (not exactly sure what they are
called)

Thanks
Sean 3372







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:49:23 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for an owner...

I believe the owner is on this list.

You must not come to tech sessions or brunches much because i dont recognize your name.

April 2nd we are having another brunch, stop by and meet some local owners.

Mark V



On Mar 12, 2006, at 8:24 PM, coreysmoo wrote:

> I'm a member of the DeLorean Midwest Connection already.  I just did 
> not recognize this car as anyone I knew.
>
> Corey
> 2423
>
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_...> wrote:
>>
>> If that is the case why not join your local club and you can meet 
>> lots of local owners.
>>
>> http://www.delorean-midwest.org/
>>
>> Mark V
>>
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2006, at 12:05 PM, coreysmoo wrote:
>>
>>> Hey.  My room mate saw a D yesterday on his way to work.  It was in 
>>> Orland Park, IL.
>>> on 159th St. heading east near 80th Ave.  He said the licence plate 
>>> was "GIGAWAT".
>>> Is it anyone on the list?  I would love to get in touch with another 
>>> local owner.
>>>
>>> Corey
>>> 2423
>>>
>>> coreysmoo_at_dml_...
>>> corey.ooms_at_dml_...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>>> moderators_at_dml_...
>>>
>>> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see 
>>> www.dmcnews.com
>>>
>>> To search the archives or view files, log in at 
>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see 
> www.dmcnews.com
>
> To search the archives or view files, log in at 
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:47:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks

Paul,
My friend has the DMCH kit on his car and loves it. He had it installed by Dave Bauerle (http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle.htm) and Dave said that this kit is one of the nicest kits he has installed over the years. The DMCH kit is for performance seekers. 

For a less bumpy, more of a touring car feel (also a bit cheeper in price) you can take a look at the Mid-State DeLorean Club's shock kit found here:
http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts/shocks.html.

I have Grady's old kit on my car and besides the car looking better when lowered, regardless of which kit you go with you will notice the car will handle like a totally different car when lowered. A great improvement!

Shannon Y
16506

-------
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:35:22 -0000
   From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks

I am considering coil spring and shock upgrades, but am concerned about the cost of the Eibach springs and shocks.  It seems that the entire package costs about $900.  What are people's experience with this package, versus simply upgrading the front end only with non- Eibach set-up?  What are the options?  I am mostly interested in leveling the front end to the proper height, as I don't like the nose- high feeling and look, but still want relatively good performance, as well.  Can I do it for $500 instead.

Thanks,

Paul
Vin 10944

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com 




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:32:13 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Super Strength Ball Joints

Ok, it seems that it might make sense to look into making some replacement 
ball joints. As with the mirrors with such low quantity the price will not 
be competitive to cross over ball joints but it will buy you peace of mind 
for sure. After what happened to my car I wanted to have those special 
made... you know, accident probability aside, those lower control arms are 
darn expensive. I don't want this to happen again. And I don't even want to 
think what might have happened if it would fail 10 minutes earlier when I 
was going at highway speeds....
Anyway, I'm going on vacation now but as soon as I get back home I will look 
into reproducing those lower ball joints. I will post to the DML with any 
information available. I hope there will be enough interest.

PS. I will be away from March 17th until April 27th. All orders for extended 
convex mirrors will be shipped as soon as I come back home - after Apr 27. 
You can still contact me via email during that time but there might be some 
delay in replying to the emails. Thank you.

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  5225'17"N 211'59"E
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, 13 March, 2006 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: [DML] Super Strength Ball Joints


> Add mine to the list, that makes 3.  Mine was something that
> couldn't be detected, the metal post (not sure if I'm saying that
> right) sheared in half.  And I can remember reading about at least 4
> others on this list.  Mine wasn't the original when it broke.  I
> subsequently had it fixed by one of the major Delorean vendors, and
> 4 months later the alignment shop noticed it was bad - if they
> didn't notice it there was the potential for a future disaster, all
> along with me thinking that since I just had it replaced 4 months
> earlier it must be OK (the alignment shop didn't do that type of
> work, they weren't trying to get more work from it, actually
> wouldn't align the car until I had it fixed elsewhere).  I sent it
> back to the vendor and they replaced it free (another good reason to
> use a Delorean vendor for parts and service).  I'd bet DMCH, PJ
> Grady, John Hervey and others have some better insight into how many
> they've seen break.  Again, these are cars that aren't really driven
> much, that's the statistical key here.  All I'm suggesting is that
> for parts that have potentially deadly consequences if they fail,
> that if a "super" strength part was available, I'd pay more, alot
> more.  If the consequence is minor, such as an alternator failing or
> fuel pump breaking, I'll take my chances since it should only
> involve a tow truck and some embarrasment.
>





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:59:14 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks

Thanks Shannon,

Someone else also mentioned the Mid State Delorean club kit, which I 
am now leaning towards.  Thanks again!

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> Paul,
> My friend has the DMCH kit on his car and loves it. He had it 
installed by Dave
> Bauerle (http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle.htm) and Dave said 
that this kit is
> one of the nicest kits he has installed over the years. The DMCH 
kit is for
> performance seekers. 
> 
> For a less bumpy, more of a touring car feel (also a bit cheeper 
in price) you
> can take a look at the Mid-State DeLorean Club's shock kit found 
here:
> http://www.midstatedmc.com/parts/shocks.html.
> 
> I have Grady's old kit on my car and besides the car looking 
better when lowered,
> regardless of which kit you go with you will notice the car will 
handle like a
> totally different car when lowered. A great improvement!
> 
> Shannon Y
> 16506
> 
> -------
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:35:22 -0000
>    From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_...>
> Subject: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks
> 
> I am considering coil spring and shock upgrades, but am concerned 
> about the cost of the Eibach springs and shocks.  It seems that 
the 
> entire package costs about $900.  What are people's experience 
with 
> this package, versus simply upgrading the front end only with non-
> Eibach set-up?  What are the options?  I am mostly interested in 
> leveling the front end to the proper height, as I don't like the 
nose-
> high feeling and look, but still want relatively good performance, 
as 
> well.  Can I do it for $500 instead.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Paul
> Vin 10944
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:52:37 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Rocker panel clips

I decided to clean the undercarriage of the Delorean and I noticed that 
the screws that hold on the plastic rocker panel on were rusted badly. 
Replacement looked to be easily done and checking the workshop manual 
removal seems easy.  When I came to the part of the procedure that said 
to be sure to have the clips on hand that hold the top of the rocker 
panel to the body.  I cannot find the clip part number or even a photo 
of one.  Can anyone help out there.
Roy
#0893








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:06:12 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

When my FD was toast, I picked up a bosch 0 438 100 105 (FD-48x) from
a Volvo 760 in the junkyard for $23 dollars. It bolted right up and
I've put 5,000 miles on the car since then. It did require a one time
adjustment of the mixture screw though.








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:13:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

Many of the parts in the fuel system are rebuildable. Not the
accumulator, but most of the others. Before you buy one of these
expensive parts (which you get no credit for your old one) see if you
can send them out to be rebuilt. Check with John Hervey. The fuel
distributer is cleanable in most cases. If the distributer is messed
up you probably need to do EVERYTHING. You might have to make a pile
of all the fuel system parts including the fuel injectors and send it
all out. The hoses you should be able to clean up with bottle brushes
and solvent. If the distributer is dirty you should start in the fuel
tank. Pull the pump and the sending unit, drain the tank, and wipe it
out finishing up with an acetone wipe. Replace any deteriorated or
questionable parts. The holes are called ports and there is no
"cheaper" cross-referance. You do have to be careful to get the
"right" parts. Each part has a long Bosch part # on it. If it is not
EXACTLY correct then the part will not be correct for use in a Delorean.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757




--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> Was speaking to someone, and he stated that I probably need to get a 
> new fuel distributor to fix my current fuel problems. While I know 
> that most of the Delorean parts sites list a fuel distributor, I was 
> wondering if there was perhaps a cheaper cross reference somewhere out 
> there that I could use... Not that I am cheap, but since, i probably 
> need to replace the warm-up regulator, the accumulator, as well as the 
> injectors I was wondering if there was something else that worked just 
> a







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:56:55 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Speed hut guages & Ball joints

I'm also installing those gauges, but I have a few experiments I want
to try that will hopefully improve the final product.  I bought the
black faced gauges for a more stock look.  You're right, they do look
better at the edges, at least until you turn them on, then the edges
light up and define the seams...  gotta fix that.  My plan is to
install an overlay over the gauge faces, made from a sheet plastic
called sintra (I think).  Take a look at the gauges in a 2001 Chevy
truck for the look I'm going for.

Matt Smith
#2868


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> Have not played with the Speed hut guages, but would love to see them!  
> can you post some pictures?
> 
> Michael
> 
> Nick wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just had some speed hut guage 'overlays'installed 
> >
> > www.speedhut.com/el_detail.asp?catagory=DMC&auto_number=447&bhcp=1
> >
> > and i'm not 100% happy with the joints between the guages. Just 
> > wondering if anyone else has had them installed and there toughts? I 
> > had white guage faces and you can still see a fine black line coming 
> > through from the black color benieth were they join. If i had black 
> > guages then i'm sure this wouldnt be almost as obvious.
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> >
> > Cheers, Nick - Sydney
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> > moderators_at_dml_...
> >
> > For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see
www.dmcnews.com
> >
> > To search the archives or view files, log in at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:01:27 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade 2006 (follow-up)

Post-parade update...

The luck of the Irish was with the St. Pat's Day Parade organizers
and the participants as well as those who came to see the parade.
We had 9 DeLoreans participate in the parade and I'm happy to report
the club got almost a minute of TV coverage on both Ch. 9 and Ch. 7.

With 9 cars, we drove in a 2-1 2-1 2-1 formation, which looked great
on TV from the high camera angle. We had plenty of time to clean and
detail our cars prior to start of the parade and it certainly showed
from those high camera angles used by both TV stations.

Although we were unable to get the advertising plugs in for DCS 2006
and the DeLorean 25th Anniversary events this June, it was very good
exposure for the DeLorean marquee, even if the TV announcers do not
always get the facts straight (sometimes perpetuating false rumors).

There are a few members of the DeLorean Midwest Connection club that
are working on making the TV clips into mpegs, so when they get the
clips finished and posted to the club website (or alternate host),
I will post again so others can enjoy this DeLorean TV coverage.

Later,
Rich W.

www.deloreanmidwest.com


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> Attention all DeLorean owners, 
> 
> Want to see your D on TV? 
>
> snip <
> 
> I hope to see many of you and your D's next Saturday. 
> 
> Thanks, 
> Rich W. 
> 
> DeLorean Midwest Connection Car Club 
> Car Show and Car Events Coordinator
>








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:50:09 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for an owner...

FYI

GIGAWAT is on the DML, but has only made a very recent return
to the list after being distracted with other things for a few
years (like starting up a few businesses, from the ground up).
GIGAWAT is owned by Jameel Ahed and he has been a local club
member, but again, he has not been at most recent club events
(for several years) since he has been busy with other things.

However...

Corey, you may have met Jameel briefly at the BTTF screening
last summer, when Jameel and GIGAWAT made an appearance at the
last minute, not even knowing in advance that the club had
planned to be at the screening with several DeLoreans.

I had thought GIGAWAT was "down" for some cosmetic repairs over
the winter, but apparently the nice weekend weather was enough
to draw him out of hibernation, possibly "sans" a few parts? 
Although, GIGAWAT was NOT one of the 9 DeLoreans at the parade.

And you will have to cut Mark some slack since he did not know
you are a new owner and have been a bit too busy in the recent
past to have attended many of the local DMC club events, since
you were in Iraq up until late last Winter or early Spring.

Later,
Rich W.


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> I believe the owner is on this list.
> 
> You must not come to tech sessions or brunches much because i dont 
> recognize your name.
> 
> April 2nd we are having another brunch, stop by and meet some 
local 
> owners.
> 
> Mark V
> 
> On Mar 12, 2006, at 8:24 PM, coreysmoo wrote:
> 
> > I'm a member of the DeLorean Midwest Connection already.  I just 
did 
> > not recognize
> > this car as anyone I knew.
> >
> > Corey
> > 2423
> >
> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_> wrote:
> >>
> >> If that is the case why not join your local club and you can 
meet lots
> >> of local owners.
> >>
> >> http://www.delorean-midwest.org/
> >>
> >> Mark V
> >>
> >>
> >> On Mar 12, 2006, at 12:05 PM, coreysmoo wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hey.  My room mate saw a D yesterday on his way to work.  It 
was in
> >>> Orland Park, IL.
> >>> on 159th St. heading east near 80th Ave.  He said the licence 
plate
> >>> was "GIGAWAT".
> >>> Is it anyone on the list?  I would love to get in touch with 
another
> >>> local owner.
> >>>
> >>> Corey
> >>> 2423
> >>>
> >>> coreysmoo_at_dml_
> >>> corey.ooms_at_dml_








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:32:35 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

The Bosch catalog lists the fuel distributor for the DeLorean as a FD46X. 
Although many Bosch fuel injection parts are shared with several cars this 
is a unique part number to the DeLorean and doesn't appear anywhere else in 
the catalog. I know many owners have used other fuel distributors with no 
apparent problems and I have no idea why the DeLorean had it's own fuel 
distributor ID number. Anyone have a clue as to the differences?

Bruce Benson

> When my FD was toast, I picked up a bosch 0 438 100 105 (FD-48x) from
> a Volvo 760 in the junkyard for $23 dollars. It bolted right up and
> I've put 5,000 miles on the car since then. It did require a one time
> adjustment of the mixture screw though.
> 






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:39:30 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

OK, so how do I clean the fuel distributor (yes take it off, replace 
the hoses (those are relatively cheap)... How about getting any rust 
off of the bolts with the holes in them?

What solvent do I use for the hoses? Any reason that I cannot use 
standard fuel hoses that you can buy at a place like Checker? 
Cutting them to length should suffice...

How about the warm up regulator?

Already cleaned out the tank (ie wiped her out) replaced the pump, 
boot, cover, fuel filter... which is where i found some rust in the 
bolt that has holes in it. 

Sean
3372


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...> 
wrote:
>
> Many of the parts in the fuel system are rebuildable. Not the
> accumulator, but most of the others. Before you buy one of these
> expensive parts (which you get no credit for your old one) see if 
you
> can send them out to be rebuilt. Check with John Hervey. The fuel
> distributer is cleanable in most cases. If the distributer is 
messed
> up you probably need to do EVERYTHING. You might have to make a 
pile
> of all the fuel system parts including the fuel injectors and send 
it
> all out. The hoses you should be able to clean up with bottle 
brushes
> and solvent. If the distributer is dirty you should start in the 
fuel
> tank. Pull the pump and the sending unit, drain the tank, and wipe 
it
> out finishing up with an acetone wipe. Replace any deteriorated or
> questionable parts. The holes are called ports and there is no
> "cheaper" cross-referance. You do have to be careful to get the
> "right" parts. Each part has a long Bosch part # on it. If it is 
not
> EXACTLY correct then the part will not be correct for use in a 
Delorean.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_> wrote:
> >
> > Was speaking to someone, and he stated that I probably need to 
get a 
> > new fuel distributor to fix my current fuel problems. While I 
know 
> > that most of the Delorean parts sites list a fuel distributor, I 
was 
> > wondering if there was perhaps a cheaper cross reference 
somewhere out 
> > there that I could use... Not that I am cheap, but since, i 
probably 
> > need to replace the warm-up regulator, the accumulator, as well 
as the 
> > injectors I was wondering if there was something else that 
worked just 
> > a
>









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:45:57 -0000
From: "mps2700" <mps2700_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Sleeping beauty

I am thinking of reviving a Delorean that has sat for 10 years in a 
carport without being started. I have no experience in auto 
restoration, but I have been lurking at this and other sites 
collecting information about this daunting task. I am going to inspect 
this car soon, and I am planning to hook up a battery to see if the 
engine turns over. What is the best way to disconnect the fuel system 
so that junk isn't sucked out of the tank during this test?








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:39:32 -0000
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rocker panel clips

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> I decided to clean the undercarriage of the Delorean and I noticed that 
> the screws that hold on the plastic rocker panel on were rusted badly. 
> Replacement looked to be easily done and checking the workshop manual 
> removal seems easy.  When I came to the part of the procedure that said 
> to be sure to have the clips on hand that hold the top of the rocker 
> panel to the body.  I cannot find the clip part number or even a photo 
> of one.  Can anyone help out there.
> Roy
> #0893
>
They are available I just ordered a few more to have some spares i replaced 
mine a while ago..its under section 8-3-1 under the stainless panels section 
for the 1/4 panel.. its part number sp10691...Dave









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:40:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Deloreans in West Michigan

Hi Byron,
  I saw the emails from Shannon about the get together on the 6th.  I'm definately planning on attending.  I'll be bringing the D with me too.
   
  Erik
  

byrondelorean <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:
  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcerik" wrote:
>
> Hi, just thought I would check again to see if any new people have 
> joined the DML from the West Michigan area? If so, drop me a line. 
> I'm in Holland.
> 
> Erik
> 04512
>
HI Erik, 
I am not quite in West Michigan, though Holland isn't that long of 
drive from me. I am hosting a spring get together at my place May 6th, 
go to the link for more info. Anyone with a Delorean is welcome, 
members or non members of clubs is never a concern.
http://ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm

Byron





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:22:51 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

 
 
You can't get these fuel hoses at Checker.  They have a plastic  urethane 
lining with a rubber hose over it. The fuel pressures are much higher  than any 
fuel hose Checker has would allow.   You need to look closer  at these parts - 
you can't just make them yourself!  There are other  stainless braided fuel 
hoses available but I am not sure if they are cheaper or  more expensive than 
OEM.  Remember - you are working on parts that can  leave you stranded in the 
middle of nowhere. Why cheap out?
 
Andy
 
 
 
In a message dated 3/13/2006 5:12:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

What  solvent do I use for the hoses? Any reason that I cannot use 
standard fuel  hoses that you can buy at a place like Checker? 
Cutting them to length  should suffice...



 
Fargo, ND  
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:52:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Sleeping beauty

The safest thing to do is to unplug the fuel pump right by the top of
the fuel tank. I would start underneath, inspecting the frame. Figure
the fuel system is contaminated and must be completely done. Also the
brake system and the clutch system. The tires are garbage. Turn the
motor with a wrench, do not use the starter. Before trying that it
would be best to remove the spark plugs and pour in some kind of rust
breaker like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple
of days. Work it slowly back and forth and then see if you can get a
complete revolution. Drain and replace ALL the fluids. Good Luck, you
are taking on a huge restoration project, this is not for a novice
though. You will need a good place to work on the car, a good set of
metric tools, manuals, and a LOT of parts. It will also take a lot of
time.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mps2700" <mps2700_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> I am thinking of reviving a Delorean that has sat for 10 years in a 
> carport without being started. I have no experience in auto 
> restoration, but I have been lurking at this and other sites 
> collecting information about this daunting task. I am going to inspect 
> this car soon, and I am planning to hook up a battery to see if the 
> engine turns over. What is the best way to disconnect the fuel system 
> so that junk isn't sucked out of the tank during this test?
>








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:26:13 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Sleeping beauty

 
 
You could just flip the inertia switch into the disable position, then the  
fuel pump wouldn't run.  You may want to use some fogging oil or at the  very 
least turn the engine by hand if it hasn't been run in a decade.  You  could do 
more damage turning the key than 10 years of sitting already did to the  car! 
 Besides, what would turning over the engine tell you if you don't  have the 
fuel system going to?  Not a lot except that the starting system  works.
 
Andy
 
 
 
In a message dated 3/13/2006 5:12:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
mps2700_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I am  thinking of reviving a Delorean that has sat for 10 years in a 
carport  without being started. I have no experience in auto 
restoration, but I  have been lurking at this and other sites 
collecting information about  this daunting task. I am going to inspect 
this car soon, and I am planning  to hook up a battery to see if the 
engine turns over. What is the best way  to disconnect the fuel system 
so that junk isn't sucked out of the tank  during this test?



 
Fargo, ND  
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:26:44 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Rocker panel clips

In stock - see here:

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2903&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

or 

http://tinyurl.com/qs3kb

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> I decided to clean the undercarriage of the Delorean and I noticed that 
> the screws that hold on the plastic rocker panel on were rusted badly. 
> Replacement looked to be easily done and checking the workshop manual 
> removal seems easy.  When I came to the part of the procedure that said 
> to be sure to have the clips on hand that hold the top of the rocker 
> panel to the body.  I cannot find the clip part number or even a photo 
> of one.  Can anyone help out there.
> Roy
> #0893
>









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:04:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

Ordinary hoses will not handle the high pressures this system runs at.
The origional ones should clean up with acetone. Brushes, like little
bottle brushes, can be used to clean the hoses and banjo bolts. You
should replace the copper gaskets when you reassemble. 
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> OK, so how do I clean the fuel distributor (yes take it off, replace 
> the hoses (those are relatively cheap)... How about getting any rust 
> off of the bolts with the holes in them?
> 
> What solvent do I use for the hoses? Any reason that I cannot use 
> standard fuel hoses that you can buy at a place like Checker? 
> Cutting them to length should suffice...
> 
> How about the warm up regulator?
> 
> Already cleaned out the tank (ie wiped her out) replaced the pump, 
> boot, cover, fuel filter... which is where i found some rust in the 
> bolt that has holes in it. 
> 
> Sean
> 3372
> 
> 
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_> 
> wrote:
> >
> > Many of the parts in the fuel system are rebuildable. Not the
> > accumulator, but most of the others. Before you buy one of these
> > expensive parts (which you get no credit for your old one) see if 
> you
> > can send them out to be rebuilt. Check with John Hervey. The fuel
> > distributer is cleanable in most cases. If the distributer is 
> messed
> > up you probably need to do EVERYTHING. You might have to make a 
> pile
> > of all the fuel system parts including the fuel injectors and send 
> it
> > all out. The hoses you should be able to clean up with bottle 
> brushes
> > and solvent. If the distributer is dirty you should start in the 
> fuel
> > tank. Pull the pump and the sending unit, drain the tank, and wipe 
> it
> > out finishing up with an acetone wipe. Replace any deteriorated or
> > questionable parts. The holes are called ports and there is no
> > "cheaper" cross-referance. You do have to be careful to get the
> > "right" parts. Each part has a long Bosch part # on it. If it is 
> not
> > EXACTLY correct then the part will not be correct for use in a 
> Delorean.
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_> wrote:
> > >
> > > Was speaking to someone, and he stated that I probably need to 
> get a 
> > > new fuel distributor to fix my current fuel problems. While I 
> know 
> > > that most of the Delorean parts sites list a fuel distributor, I 
> was 
> > > wondering if there was perhaps a cheaper cross reference 
> somewhere out 
> > > there that I could use... Not that I am cheap, but since, i 
> probably 
> > > need to replace the warm-up regulator, the accumulator, as well 
> as the 
> > > injectors I was wondering if there was something else that 
> worked just 
> > > a
> >
>









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 23
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:12:50 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Want to Upgraded Suspension - coil springs and shocks

 
 
I too have the MidState DeLorean kit along with front lowering springs by  PJ 
Grady.  I am very happy with the ride and the look.  I haven't  driven many 
stock DeLoreans but I know mine feels great and there is very little  body 
roll.  A tuner kid that is into hondas and stuff took my car for a  spin and said 
it was one of the best handling cars he has ever driven.  He  actually knew 
what he was talking about too.
 
Andy
 
 
In a message dated 3/13/2006 4:22:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,  
paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com writes:

Thanks  Shannon,

Someone else also mentioned the Mid State Delorean club kit,  which I 
am now leaning towards.  Thanks  again!

Paul



 
Fargo, ND  
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 24
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:50:00 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Sleeping beauty

HI

Remove the rpm relay or a very simple one, take out spare tyre, lift 
out inspection cover under it and unplug fuel pump.
do not try to start untill the whole system is cleaned.
you may need to budget for a complete brake remove and overhaul
disc, pads, cylinders, calipers, and flexible pipe near wheels which 
collapses (mine had)
if a manual, a complete hydraulic overhaul master and slave and 
clutch line.
main thing.make sure the stainless is good, the doors open ok 
(droopy is easy fix). broke torsion bar very bad!
check elec windows (costly to fix) and other electrics
check door seals (expensive) tyres (expensive) steering play/wobble 
(could be cheap to fix)
fascia paint (easy fix).

look at the frame condition....lots of rust very bad (could be frame 
off resto)...minor surface could be ok (but may run deeper)

don't be put off though as these cars are easy to work on.
and pretty much all parts ar available, with many second hand.

hope this helps

Regards

Steve


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mps2700" <mps2700_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> I am thinking of reviving a Delorean that has sat for 10 years in 
a 
> carport without being started. I have no experience in auto 
> restoration, but I have been lurking at this and other sites 
> collecting information about this daunting task. I am going to 
inspect 
> this car soon, and I am planning to hook up a battery to see if 
the 
> engine turns over. What is the best way to disconnect the fuel 
system 
> so that junk isn't sucked out of the tank during this test?
>









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 25
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:01:42 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel Distributor ect

hi

i would not really lean the fuel distributor, mine was 12 years 
standing and ok.
at the most only carefully remove the plunger and soak in acetone.

the bolts with the holes are called banjo bolts, just replace with 
new.
specialTauto may want the old ones for refurb

do not use standard fuel hoses. system is injection and runs in 
excess of 65 lb (car tyre presure about 26 so gives an idea)
you do not want a burst and petrol spraying at that pressure.
Really you need to buy the propper thing (say stainless from 
specialTauto)
don't skimp on this!

again i replaced my tank, pump, filter
ran the fuel return line into a canister (you don't want old gunk 
back in the clean tank.
expect the accumulator to be faulty (a pig to replace)

put six temporary pipes onto fuel distributor and into six glass 
jars and ran fuel pump. petrol came out black for first few seconds.

make sure you do any thing safely with a fire extuinguisher in hand!.

by the way the tank needs more than a wipe down, needs to have 
acetone soaking inside and remove all gunk.

check all the connections to the coil as these are common to corrode 
(mine had and car would not run more than 30 seconds)
one cleaned...fine

Regards

steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> OK, so how do I clean the fuel distributor (yes take it off, 
replace 
> the hoses (those are relatively cheap)... How about getting any 
rust 
> off of the bolts with the holes in them?
> 
> What solvent do I use for the hoses? Any reason that I cannot use 
> standard fuel hoses that you can buy at a place like Checker? 
> Cutting them to length should suffice...
> 
> How about the warm up regulator?
> 
> Already cleaned out the tank (ie wiped her out) replaced the pump, 
> boot, cover, fuel filter... which is where i found some rust in 
the 
> bolt that has holes in it. 
> 
> Sean
> 3372
> 
> 
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_> 
> wrote:
> >
> > Many of the parts in the fuel system are rebuildable. Not the
> > accumulator, but most of the others. Before you buy one of these
> > expensive parts (which you get no credit for your old one) see 
if 
> you
> > can send them out to be rebuilt. Check with John Hervey. The fuel
> > distributer is cleanable in most cases. If the distributer is 
> messed
> > up you probably need to do EVERYTHING. You might have to make a 
> pile
> > of all the fuel system parts including the fuel injectors and 
send 
> it
> > all out. The hoses you should be able to clean up with bottle 
> brushes
> > and solvent. If the distributer is dirty you should start in the 
> fuel
> > tank. Pull the pump and the sending unit, drain the tank, and 
wipe 
> it
> > out finishing up with an acetone wipe. Replace any deteriorated 
or
> > questionable parts. The holes are called ports and there is no
> > "cheaper" cross-referance. You do have to be careful to get the
> > "right" parts. Each part has a long Bosch part # on it. If it is 
> not
> > EXACTLY correct then the part will not be correct for use in a 
> Delorean.
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_> wrote:
> > >
> > > Was speaking to someone, and he stated that I probably need to 
> get a 
> > > new fuel distributor to fix my current fuel problems. While I 
> know 
> > > that most of the Delorean parts sites list a fuel distributor, 
I 
> was 
> > > wondering if there was perhaps a cheaper cross reference 
> somewhere out 
> > > there that I could use... Not that I am cheap, but since, i 
> probably 
> > > need to replace the warm-up regulator, the accumulator, as 
well 
> as the 
> > > injectors I was wondering if there was something else that 
> worked just 
> > > a
> >
>









________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------