From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 6:14 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3161

1. Re: Kia (Yes this IS Delorean related)
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Kia (Yes this IS Delorean related)
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

3. Re: Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Door latch hangs up door lock
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Bump!!!
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. DeLorean Craig/ASI radio question
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

7. AW: Replacing lower ball joints
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

8. Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Flatbedding Delorean - to cover or not to cover?
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

10. Christopher Lloyd :-(
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: JZD's grave
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

12. Re: Replacing lower ball joints
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Re: Replacing lower ball joints
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

14. RE: Re: Kia (Yes this IS Delorean related)
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

15. RE: AW: Replacing lower ball joints
From: chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk

16. D for sell ?
From: "Marc" <marchj_devos_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Flatbedding Delorean - to cover or not to cover?
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

19. Re: Pearce Design Correction
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>

20. Re: DeLorean Craig/ASI radio question
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:03:39 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Kia (Yes this IS Delorean related)

I personally don't understand what the British government was whining about after delorean went under. It was a high risk investment, they knew that. The payoff was the creation of jobs and the risk was the 100 million pounds in British tax payer money. If they were not willing to risk the money they should not have put it up.

Nathan
2277

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:21:10 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

We can't give all the credit to JZD: there were a lot of others involved in getting the plant up and running but as the guy in charge it's easiest to use him as the idea man. His first choice of using stainless steel body panels and eliminating a paint facility saved millions in manufacturing costs. The decision to use Tellues carriers was undoubtedly less expensive than installing a chassis line conveyor system. Using a lot of hand labor rather than installing expensive automation contributed a lot to the low start-up costs. The British government was pretty naive in regards to what they were becoming a party to and what expenses were lying ahead. I've seen several figures thrown around but the consensus seems to be that the British government lost around 20 million dollars or pounds, I'm not sure which. In either case to produce what John DeLorean and company produced for the amount of money spent was remarkable. Kia plans to spend somewhere near 1.2 BILLION dollars starting up their new plant.

Bruce Benson

Bruce Benson

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:52:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!

So, you agree that the brackets are not a good idea?

Or, am I not clear on how they work?

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:23:24 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Door latch hangs up door lock

While still adjusting and readjusting my door per the manual to try to
figure out why the darn thing still hangs, I noticed: the door latch adjustment
affects the locking bellcrank as well. Obviously the locking bellcrank affects
the latch... if it's locked, the latch won't operate. I now see a similar
thing  in reverse. With the latch rods disconnected, the locking bellcrank moves
great,  covers the contacts great, etc. When the latch bellcrank works great as
per the  manual "block of wood" method, the locking bellcrank now hangs up
midway. If I  loosen the front latch turnbuckle until the catch releases way too
easily, it  cures the problem. Confused?  Me too. What gives?

-Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:44:58 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Bump!!!

Rick - Based on where the work was done to the car, I would check,
clean, and tighten the ground location that is just above the steering
rack, common to the left hand radiator support member.  It would have
been easy to disturb this vital electrical ground to the frame, which
could very easily result in the symptoms that you are reporting.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "drrrh_1" <rick.heile_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I have a strange symptom. I just had my rack replaced and a day
after bringing my D home this started:  When driving over a bump the
battery light blinks and the tach drops to zero then spins up quickly
plus I feel the engine sputter.

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 05:55:43 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: DeLorean Craig/ASI radio question

My car, (aug 81 vin 3231) did not have the OEM radio installed when I
acquired it. (it was stolen somewhere along the line) After learning
that there were three different kinds of radios that came installed in
the DeLorean, I was wondering which kind my car would have shipped
with? For what it's worth, I have a grooved hood, no flap. It does
have a locking gas cap though, so it must have been a transition car.
Also, I have a shifter plate clock that works and it keeps time!

Any ideas?

-sean

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:20:30 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Replacing lower ball joints

Hey Brian, thank you.

how thick is such a collar ?
If you still want to install the clip on top of the balljoint,
then it can be only less than a millimeter ?!?

Elvis

Elvis,

I don't have a picture of the reinforcing collars by themselves, but I
added a picture of them installed in the Photos area (PJ Grady Ball
Joint Reinforcement Collar album).

Rob should chime in on the specifics, but the collars press onto the
control arms first, then the ball joints are pressed in.

The collars just "beef-up" the thin flange that holds the ball joint
in place.

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:29:51 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!

When I replaced the bolts, some time later, I removed the kit and I
never noticed evidence of stress in the joint. However, I suspected
flex at the mounting to the frame. I didn't put it back on because I
just didn't think it was needed.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:44:43 -0500
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>
Subject: Re: Flatbedding Delorean - to cover or not to cover?

One thing I forgot to mention. Plan on taking a little more time to get
there. When I had mine on a flat bed there was a huge traffic jam behind me.
Most cars passing would slow down and pace me for a while to either figure
out what kind of car it was, to admire it, or just to wave at me. The
actions of other drivers had a friend driving behind me in stitches for
hours!

- Mike Walsh

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:44:12 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Christopher Lloyd :-(

Christopher Lloyd called me yesterday and we talked for while on the show
and the DeLorean.  Unfortunately the call was to say that he had a casting
requirement come up that he had to take and regrets he cannot make the  show.
He asked if we could keep him in mind for 2008 and of course he was invited
to join us there.

We knew when we posted that this was possibility and I think the post was
still a good idea.
My thoughts on announcing it at that time was I could do it one of two  ways.
 Either post it  (Christopher does want to come) with the  knowledge that he
may have obligations that come up that would have him cancel  but at least let
you all know I am trying and if its announced maybe he would be  able to get
out of any further commitments.  Or don't announce it and  surprise everyone
but there may be people that wanted to see him that would not  have come had we
not posted earlier.

Chris and I discussed this and agreed to the initial post that he would be
there.

Anyway I have had numerous conversations with Chris and  he has a copy  of
the magazine, this years shirts and a lot of other items that he is very
appreciative of and I do feel it went well enough that we will see him at some
FUTURE show ( pun intended)

As it turns out we found a lot of neat stuff this past week that we are
going to add to the show so I will use the time to give you more history of the
car in some areas questions you have had and not know will be answered.

Here is a little preview.

We have signed un cashed check from John DeLorean.  This may be the  only one
out there still that is original and un cashed.

We also have a list of defects in the car and at what VIN number they were
corrected and how.  I don't remember seeing this anywhere else  before.  It
only goes up to the 2000 series since this was an early  date.

We found some early Slides in great condition these may not be ready for
2006 but we will definitely give you a preview.  A lot goes with the slides  and
we need to figure it out.

Anyway we explored boxes of stuff that has not been opened in years and  this
stuff is amazing.

Technically you will find out more about the car at this show than you ever
have before.

The museum size is continuing to grow and we have thousands of pages of
documents still to go through.

We are now up to 25 display cases with another two on its way so we will
have a huge museum.

By the way I checked a video of a museum we went to last year and we filmed
the entire trip through and they only had 31 display cases and it was a decent
 size museum .  I think we did good. :-)

Thanks for understanding and remember we try hard to bring you the best and
will continue to do so.

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:33:06 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: JZD's grave

Corey,

I was very disappointed by JZDs grave.  He deserves much better and
should be immortalized in a JZD museum.  Maybe someday, he will get the
recognition he deserves.

Bob

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:17:57 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing lower ball joints

Elvis,

No problem on the picture, I'm documenting everything I'm doing to the
car.

This work was completed over a year ago, so I have to rely on memory
about the collar thickness. I think it was something like 1/4" (~6.4
mm).

The collar does not affect in the installation depth of the ball
joint. You will have the same amount of space available to install the
clip.

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:00:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Is the collar like a big flat-washer or does it actually insert into,
i.e. sleeve the hole that the ball joint is pressed into (would have to
be paper thin for this).

Dave

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:07:51 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Kia (Yes this IS Delorean related)

> I personally don't understand what the British government was
> whining about after DeLorean went under.

IMHO - The Labour Party set up the initial deal/funding. The Conservative
Party made it part of their platform to stop the subsidies. When Margaret
Thatcher's Conservative Party came into power, they took a hard stance on
DeLorean's need for more money and soon closed the doors.

<soapbox>
It sounds a lot like the US - where one party has to criticize everything
done by the other to get elected.  Then, if they do get elected, they feel
that they have to follow through - regardless of whether they even believed
their own campaign rhetoric. That way they can say "I told you so", and keep
whining and pointing fingers forever.
</soapbox>

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:31:52 +0100 (CET)
From: chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: RE: AW: Replacing lower ball joints

Elvis

> how thick is such a collar ?
> If you still want to install the clip on top of the balljoint,
> then it can be only less than a millimeter ?!?

The collar fits over the pressed metal and does not impeed on the fitting of the ball joint at all....ie it still allows the clip to be installed on top and helps hold the ball joint FIRMLY in place. From memory I would say its 5mm thick. IMHO this is one of the most important saftey upgrades. I also boxed in the lower control arms to add more strength as DMCH do with all their referb cars.

Regards

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:27:49 -0000
From: "Marc" <marchj_devos_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: D for sell ?

Hello all,

Here a dutch guy who is looking for a good D which i wanne buy in the
states.
Can anybody help to find (or maybe you know one) and i am esspecialy
looking for a black interior.
If anybody wants to help that would be great :-).

Thanks for your time.

greetings from the netherlands.
Marc

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:59:09 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You know, I've used this same method.  Though there is nothing illegal
about buying a lot of shrink wrap, I once found out that if an
individual buys enough of it, and discards it in his trash containers,
some alert neighbors may make some calls. Although when I got a knock
on the door from a fed it was pretty laughable, this made me think
that if you buy enough Shrink wrap and leave the left overs by the
curb, it might be the second time Delorean has a run-in with the
DEA. ;)

--S

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:39:00 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I haven't seen the brackets myself, but if they pin the free
end of the TAB to the frame, they are a bad idea.

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:12:56 -0600
From: Bryan Pearce <bryanp_at_dml_pearce-design.com>
Subject: Re: Pearce Design Correction

Marc and others:

Several reasons were presented when we considered making a retrofit
kit for the trailing arm mount point.  These include condition of the
frame, installation requirements, and modifications to existing
trailing arms.  Far and away, the factor that stopped development of
a retrofit kit was the construction of the original frame.  In order
to install a retrofit kit based on our design, the U-shaped channel,
which holds the original TA bolt, would have to be removed.
Unfortunately, this U-shaped channel not only holds the original TA
setup, it also provides significant strength to the frame.

I'm not saying that a useful retrofit kit could not be designed to
accommodate the construction of the original frame, but given the
costs and benefits of a retrofit kit versus the Stainless Steel frame
replacement we again decided not to move forward.

Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components
2N629 Jefferson St.
West Chicago, IL  60185
Phone:   (630) 293-0945
Fax:     (630) 293-0944

DeLorean Part Fabrication

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:52:31 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Craig/ASI radio question

Your car should have had a Craig without the integrated clock
installed at the factory. I say should, but it a DeLorean, so anything
is possible.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D