From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:06 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3166

1. Re: Motor Oil??
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: Acceleration issue
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: "Bauerle Brackets" ( was: - Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!)
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

4. Re: Control Arm Bowed
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. Replacing Shift Boot
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

6. Re: Control Arm Bowed
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. ride from CLeveland
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. A question about wheels...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: "Bauerle Brackets" ( was: - Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Warm Up regulator
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Replacing Shift Boot
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade 2006 (video)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Warm Up regulator
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Re: Re: Motor Oil??
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. electrics and steering wheel
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

19. RE: Front Ride Height Intentions - Documented Proof
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

20. DCS Raffle Car update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Boxed lower control arms?
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

22. Re: Warm Up regulator
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: "Bauerle Brackets" ( was: - Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!)
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

24. Re: Re: Motor Oil??
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

25. Seller Beware!!
From: "Scott" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:55:05 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Motor Oil??

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <dvddmc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> what is the Normal Oil to be used in the Delorean Engine  and what are
> some that People use that they like ??

Normal oil? There is not one specific oil intended to be used in the PRV V6, or any automobile engine as far as I'm aware. You choose a motor oil based on the conditions under which the engine will be operated. Refer to the Owner's Handbook. I use 20W50 year round in Arizona. I prefer:

conventional - Castrol GTX 20W50
synthetic - Royal Purple 20W50 ( http://www.royalpurple.com/ ) ~or~ synthetic - Mobil 1 15W50

Use a Purflux oil filter available from the DeLorean Vendors.
http://www.delorean.com/pflux_technical.asp

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:10:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Acceleration issue

My problem turned out to be overrich plugs and a faulty plug wire.  Just a FYI there.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:54:15 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: "Bauerle Brackets" ( was: - Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!)

Shannon,

I installed Dave's brackets on my V8 D.  I measured the deflection of
the TA bolt before and after installing the bracket.  (Stuck a wad of
clay in there and then drove the car.)   Dave's bracket reduced the TA
deflection by a wooping 1/2".  I was really surprised how much the
stock TA deflects with more HP.

IMHO  I think any these should be on any HP upgraded car.    Unless, of
course, you have the Pearse frame which is even better.

Bob

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:27:18 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Control Arm Bowed

You should.  You are wearing out your tires prematurely, and you
are driving a car that has less margin of error for lapses in driver
concentration.

-------------- Original message from "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:41:58 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Replacing Shift Boot

I received my new shift boot with stainless frame from PJ Grady (nice
quality by the way!).  Does the shift knob simply unscrew in order for
me to replace, or is there a trick to removing?  Thanks,

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:07:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If you have bent suspension parts it can be VERY DANGEROUS to drive
the car. Not only will you have excessive tire wear,under certain
driving conditions you could lose control of the car. If the car pulls
or leads hard to one side that is a major warning sign. If you can see
that a part is bent then it is VERY bent, enough to drastically affect
the control and handling adversly. In some cases the parts can be
straightened but most shops will insist on replacement of critical
suspension components. In the meantime I do not know of anyone that
would say you could continue driving on parts that are known to be
bad. Maybe you can go back to the towing company and get them to help
with the  repair if you can show them they bent the control arm.

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:59:45 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: ride from CLeveland

I have a friend of mine that is coming to help me at the DCS show in  Chicago
She needs a ride for her and her 7 year old daughter if she  can.
If you have extra room and can take her and bring her back I would
appreciate it.
She is toying with the idea of driving so I suggested she go with a  DeLorean
person.

IF you can help please contact me off list
ken

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:01:08 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Polished wheels vs. powder coated

I am considering replacing my chipped and brake-dust corroded wheels
with refinished wheels.  I love the look of the polished wheels, but
not sure how much more difficult they are to maintain versus
powdercoated wheels.  I know there's the issue of oxidation of exposed
alloy.  I suppose the polished wheels offered by Delorean vendors are
clear coated to prevent this.  I am interested in the groups' opinion
on this.  I have seen the cost for polished at about $200 per wheel,
plus core charge, and coated wheels for about $125 and core charge.
Chrome plated version by one vendor was too high for my blood at about
$1200 for the set.

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:00:49 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A question about wheels...

OK...  I just obtained an extra set of used wheels from Dan Meester and have a quick
question.  These wheels have a case of "curb burn" And my experience in auto
bodywork tells me that this looks like it can be sanded out and re-painted.  Afterall, it
is just some scratching on the outer lip.  But, as I have never worked on any wheels
before, let alone DeLorean wheels, I though I'd ask.  Can they simply be sanded and
painted?  If so, is there anything specific I need to know?  I don't want to find a good
wheel shop if I don't have to...

Thanks,
Corey
2423

coreysmoo[at]hotmail[dot]com

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:23:56 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Chrome plated version by one vendor was too high for my blood at about
> $1200 for the set.
 - - - - - - - - - - -
Perhaps they have gone up in price like everthing else, but I got my
chromed wheels from the DeLorean Motor Center three years ago and paid
$800 exchange.

BTW, they are easily maintained, and look awesome.

Dick Ryan

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:07:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I guess my confusion on this is, Lotus designed the
structure so there WOULD be deflection.

So, is it good or bad to install a bracket that will
reduce it?

The concept of the "Bauerle Bracket" seems like a good
one (and I have considered finding a set myself), but
what I am questioning is if it defeats some of the
design goals that Lotus had in mind.

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:10:51 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Warm Up regulator

I have been having issues with my fuel, and was told by someone to
replace the warm up regulator (along with the fuel distributor). I was
also told that there are filters in both the warm up regluator as well
as the fuel distributor.

Is there a way to dismantle them, and clean them out?

Sean

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:21:54 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Shift Boot

Yes, The shift knob simply unscrews. You will also need to remove the
plate below, by removing the 2 screws behind the shift boot, in front
of the switches.

Sean
3372
AZ-D

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:37:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade 2006 (video)

Rich,
  Got it to work! Very nice. Somebody needs to invest in door struts! ~G~

d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net> wrote:
  Chris and others,

Until the link can be corrected, just make sure to select all file
types and add the .wmv extension (Windows) to the [paradewmv] file
and the file should download successfully. I believe Windows Media
Player must be at ver. 9 or higher (or codec update is required).

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:27:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Warm Up regulator

There is a screen in the Warm-Up regulator, aka Control Pressure
Regulator. You remove the fuel lines and you will see it. The
regulator can be disassembled. In side you will find insect debris and
burnt wires. If you are handy it can be cleaned out and the wiring
repaired. Most of the vendors offer a rebuilt with core exchange so if
you mess it up they may not credit you for the core. Same for the fuel
distributer. If you do not have experience working with units like
these the best advice is to just remove and exchange them. You should
also consider replacing the fuel filter and having the injectors
cleaned. Look inside the fuel tank first. If it has gunk in it figure
the whole system is contaminated and clean the tank out BEFORE  you go
putting any new parts on the car.

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:46:47 -0500
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Motor Oil??

There are a few engines that are supposed to use only one type of oil,
and that oil only (however it remains to be seen whether or not other
oils would actually hurt it).  First one that pops into my mind is the
newer Ferrari's are supposed to use ONLY Shell Helix Ultra, but I can't
remember if it is a 5W40 syn or a 5W50 syn.

Luckily the DeLorean is nowhere near as exotic and a wide variety of
oils will work, which is one of the reasons why I would like to get
some definitive answers instead of 'it's always worked for me!!'

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:56:18 -0500
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

I hope ALL vendors bring their refinished wheels to their display
booths at Pheasant Run.  I very much would like compare each shop's
offering so I can decide which wheels I like best.  So vendors - PLEASE
BRING WHEEL SAMPLES!  Pictures just aren't the same as touching seeing
them in different light.  Someone out there is going to sell me set but
only after I have seen them all!

Andy Lien

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:11:20 -0000
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: electrics and steering wheel

Hi,

I have noticed that when I apply the brake (when car is running or stopped
with key in ignition) the sidelights and a bulb in the binnacle come on too
(the brake lights still work though).  I realise that its prob a crossed
wire somewhere but was wondering if it's something that has happened to
anyone else to help me pinpoint the problem quicker.  I have not as yet had
a chance to start diagnosing it as I only noticed last night.

I also removed my steering wheel and lined it up but noticed the other day
that it seemed to be off centre again (as if I needed to move it round
another spine or two).  When I got in tonight to drive, things appeared
normal again and she was sitting dead centre.  There is no pull in the
steering or drifting that would suggest the track rods ends need replaced.
Its not a major problem but thought I would post it in case it turns out to
be something I need to sort out.

Ps: anyone have any tips to repairing a crack in the binnacle.  Thought it
was worth a shot before I replace it.

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:14:36 -0000
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Front Ride Height Intentions - Documented Proof

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the DCS Show in Pheasant Run, Will
the memos etc be available on line at all after the show.

Belfast

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:38:16 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Raffle Car update

We are approaching the 200 ticket sales mark and that is way way earlier
than last show.

Total sales for the last show was 411 tickets I believe.

There are 600 available for this one

Good luck

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:44:20 -0000
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Boxed lower control arms?

> Can you provide details on this?

Have posted a pic in  "Photo Albums > PJ Grady Ball Join Reinforcement
Collar" on the DML yahoo group.

Regards

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:17:32 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Assuming my tank was dirty (since cleaned) should I also replace the
accumulator?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:18:48 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

In my opinion it's bad.

The whole purpose of the trailing arm suspension as it is
designed is to keep the contact patch of the rear tires
as close to uniform as possible as the suspension moves
through its range of travel.  Limiting the motion of the
trailing arm bold defeats the purpose of the design and
will place more stress into the sidewalls of the tires.  This
will cause the contact patch to get smaller as the body
of the car tries to roll during cornering, increasing
oversteer.  Not a good thing at all with a rear-engined
car like the DeLorean.

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:26:03 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

If you follow Formula 1 racing, you will notice that Shell is a primary
sponsor of the Ferrari team.  I'm sure it's only a coincidence that
Ferrari recommends only Shell oils for their passenger cars...

Use the proper weight oil for the engine and its operating environment
as recommended by the manufacturer.  Change it and the filter often.
Brand is pretty much irrelevant for street use.

-------------- Original message from Soma576_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:21:57 -0000
From: "Scott" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Seller Beware!!

Just thought I would post my latest encounter with a real pro scam
artist.
I have my car listed here for sale, and was contacted by a person
claiming the name Irvin Smith . Here is the short end of the story...
He informed me of being from the UK and wanted to buy my car. He
made me an offer wich I accepted, all seemed fine.We exchanged phone
numbers and he even called me to talk to me but I had missed his
call and in turn recieved an email instead.
  Then when it came to the transaction details he makes an "odd"
request. . He says Oh, I already have a cashiers check made out for
a purchase that has fallen through, and I will just give this one to
you and you are expected to refund me the difference.
 RED FLAG.. DING DING DING. .
Has anyone heard this one before?
I have.
I actually stupidly shrugged it off because he had been so otherwise
convincing and responded as though this was OK with me.

I didnt take long before I began to think about this..So before
receiving a response I told him on second thought, this was
absolutely unacceptable. I then began a little more research.
Turns out the phone number he gave me had a macthing prefix to a
phone number redirectory service (UK based) that scammers, typically
in Nigeria, use to lend legitimacy to their claims of being UK
based.
Then I find out that this guy had actually contacted a friend of
mine who is also selling his DeLorean and gave my friend a
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT story.
This is what prompted me to post.
Obviously he is targeting DeLorean Owners, so SELLER BEWARE!!!