From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:16 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3167

1. Re: Warm Up regulator
From: "Greg Zapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Re: Motor Oil??
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Motor Oil Spill - Clean Up
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Warm Up regulator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: A question about wheels...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:07:25 -0600
From: "Greg Zapf" <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Warm Up regulator

From http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/controlpressreg.htm:

"If your car may have been sitting for a while it is a good possibility that debris in the fuel line has plugged up the CPR inlet side. Inside the inlet to the CPR is a very fine screen. Dirt from a contaminated system will plug up this screen making the CPR inoperable. Remove both fuel lines from the top of the CPR and using a shop air hose blow air into the outlet side fuel port of the CPR. Make sure you wear some sort of eye protection when you do this. The air should dislodge the dirt in the inlet side of the CPR. "

This worked for me.  Mine was completely blocked with a fine black powdery debris.  Once clear, cold starting went from only-when-I-tricked-the-cold-start-valve to always-without-incident.
I didn't have to go any further with regards to removing the unit or working on its internals.  YMMV of course.  If you can grab spare copper washers to replace the ones on the connections beforehand, that would also be a good thing.  Failing all that, SpecialTAuto had the best price I could find for a replacement at the time that I was planning my attack.

Best of luck,
--Greg

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:33:56 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Motor Oil??

May be true, but Helix Ultra is in fact required for powertrain  warranty.
The weight (which I just looked up on google!) is 10W60.   pretty exotic stuff
at any rate.  Found some on a website that runs  $20.87/Litre at today's exchange rate.

Andy

In a message dated 3/21/2006 10:09:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net writes:

If you  follow Formula 1 racing, you will notice that Shell is a primary sponsor of  the Ferrari team.  I'm sure it's only a coincidence that Ferrari  recommends only Shell oils for their passenger cars...

Use the proper  weight oil for the engine and its operating environment as recommended by  the manufacturer.  Change it and the filter often.
Brand is pretty  much irrelevant for street use.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:44:53 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Motor Oil Spill - Clean Up

Group,

Just wondering.  The other day I saw a gasoline spill at a gas station.  The attendant was notified.  She came out and spreaded something that looked like kitty litter on the mess.

Suppose you spill over a can of motor oil (doh!), what do you use to clean the mess up?  Dog litter?  Paper towels don't seem to work well.
 Shop rags are expensive.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:45:36 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Sean, There is a filter screen on the output side of the warm up regulator or the 10mm hollow bolt. If you can carefully get it out and reverse flues it will clean. Normally after 20 + years it can be partially stopped up but the problem also with the unit is the specifications internally have changed and a normal rebuild will clean it up, new filter and reset the factory specifications. Then your back to new again. If you take it part, be sure you watch what your doing with all the little parts. You can see inside one also on my site.
There on the web site for $149.95 with a 2 year warranty.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

http://www.specialtauto.com/warm-up-regulators.html

I have been having issues with my fuel, and was told by someone to replace the warm up regulator (along with the fuel distributor). I was also told that there are filters in both the warm up regluator as well as the fuel distributor.

Is there a way to dismantle them, and clean them out?

Sean

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:56:21 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: A question about wheels...

Cory,
Yes it can be done as you want to I just don't know what your out come would
be compared to the professional shops. Chrome is great and so is powder
coat. I have a local shop that is called Spec Wheels who checks them for
correctness and then does the professional milling and set up to be powder
coated. The thing I like about powder coating is that a chip in the future
can be fixed. Look at the bottom of the page.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/frame-body.html