From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:07 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3169

1. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Body panels: repair or replace???
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Crankshaft nut
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

4. Re: newbie tune-up question
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>

5. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Re: Warm Up regulator
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com>

10. North East Caravan to PR??
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

12. Re: Body panels: repair or replace???
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: Seller Beware!!
From: "Scott" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:01:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated

Make sure that they are familar with doing aluminum wheels in particular - there is a bit of a process on DMC wheels especially - if they don't pre-bake the wheels they will outgas into the powdercoat and it will look like it's full of dust and/or bubbles.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:20:47 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Body panels: repair or replace???

Hello Everyone,

My drivers side quarter panel and my passengers side fender both have imperfections (of course the car was advertised as perfect) They are not severe but an annoyance none the less, I suppose some of you can relate to my OCD behavior around the delorean...

The quarter panel has what looks like a poor repair to a dent to the very top of the panel where it meets the sunshade. A "dent repair expert" had drilled a hole in the quarter panel to access this space and push the dent out. The repair is not perfect to say the least.

The passenger fender has what looks like a dent from hitting trash cans or something like that, again repaired by someone but not perfect.

Is it possible for an experienced dent repair expert who is used to working on stainless to fix these imperfections? Or since I have seen both panels I have just mentioned go for less that $400 in used/good condition would I be better off just replacing them and recouping some of my money by selling the OK ones on my car?

Nathan

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:39:06 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut

It is a 35mm, the books say both. The 1 3/8 standard x-refs to a 35mm.

The 36mm rounded off all my corners on the nut. Bought a new nut from DMCH and it fits snug in my 1 3/8 socket.

Just a FYI.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:40:58 -0000
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: Re: newbie tune-up question

Thanks Martin and John for the replies!

Martin - nope, no relation to Walter Koenig. =)

Bill

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:00:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

All of this is just your opinions, theories, and conjecture. Instead of pepetuating misinformation you should back up your responses with some kind of documentation. Your saying we should play with matchbox models to see how bumper heights of different cars line up is rediculous. You have NO engineering credentials to back up your opinions. You bring up crashes but do not cite the report or the results. If you have something more to offer than just noise you should present it. You bring up "liabilty issues" for DMC to raise the height but offer nothing more than your guesses.
 You neglect to mention that by raising front height you could increase the chances that the Delorean could override whatever obsticle it hits and instead of hitting it squarely and absorbing the impact, the increased height could make the car go up into the air over the obsticle. This is a complicated subject which will only be settled when someone can come forward with some kind of written documentation from DMC or the US DOT.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Front Ride Height Intentions
>
> Sorry I *should* have removed the "Documented Proof" part from the
> response line, I have from the history I gathered from the reports
> from vin
5520,and

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:11:10 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Warm Up regulator

There a way of telling if the accumulator is original?  Any markings to look for?

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> If you know the accumulator is origional to the car it should be
> replaced. It should also be replaced if you have the classic "Hard
Hot

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:19:15 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Historical reasons for the bumper height aside, I guess my question as a fairly new owner (less than a year) is what lowering the stock high nose with the various kits available might do to the legal and/or safe operation of the vehicle, including headlight angles, collision handling and how such modifications might affect insurance coverage.

If this has been previously covered, a reference would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:14:40 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 Not that this is an issue for me, because I really dont care...my
suspension has been lowered as per personal preference but....Hasnt
anyone asked Mr Delorean any of this?? It seems quite a number of you
guys have had interactions with him in the past.
Harry  Vin #2696

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:38:54 -0500
From: Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

David makes a good point

as Patrick Conlon mentioned, there are numerous other DMC company
memos regarding ride height in the boxes of the "new stuff" that is
currently being sifting through getting prepared for the museum
display at the DCS Show in Pheasant Run

for some DOT documentation about the 1981 bumper standard see:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/807072.html

not sure what it all means, but there are statements like "The bumper
standard modification did not change bumper height requirements..."

Cliff

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:16:58 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: North East Caravan to PR??

 Im gonna be bringing my car to PR and was going to have it trailered
is anyone else thinking of doing the same?? Perhaps we could split the
cost?? Im out of NYC.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:24:37 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks Dave,

I will take this note with me when I bring the wheels.

Paul

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:57:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Body panels: repair or replace???

There are people that can do amazing things with S/S. Probably the
best thing to do is to contact one of the major vendors. Send pictures
and they can tell you pretty accurately what it will cost to fix if
you remove the panels and send them out for repair. Be warned, the
repaired panels will look so good you will want to regrain the whole
car to match!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_...>

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:20:08 -0000
From: "Scott" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Seller Beware!!

WOW! That is amazing, he told me to do the same exact thing with my
overage. It is really quite frightening how convincing these people
can be right up until they pop you that overage story on you.
Scary. I pray to God noone here gets taken by these punks.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:23:51 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sadly just 8 months ago the chrome plated wheels from
deloreanmotorcenter were $800, and now they are $1,200. I wonder what
made them jump SO much in price as I was considering it, but not at
$1,200.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:25:59 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I would love to just see a photo of DMCH's polished wheels, but there
is no photos available ANYWHERE of the polished versions. At least
none specifically from DMCH showing what the final product looks like.

I asked for months, but finally just gave up.

-Joe O'Brien