From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:32 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3170

1. Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Delorean In CMT Video
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

3. Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Re: Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

7. Re: Re: Warm Up regulator
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. Purpose of Fuel Accumulator
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Reminder Eurofest
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Warm Up regulator
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: Purpose of Fuel Accumulator
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. DCS PR Europe Attendees
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:06:29 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

I asked Mike Loasby at Eurofest in 2001 about it and he said he couldn't remember any such change. Then again, he couldn't remember "DMC-12"
having anything to do with $12000 which we've had from JZD directly.

Of around 200 DeLoreans in the UK, I'd say around 3/4 have now been lowered.

Martin

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:52:04 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Delorean In CMT Video

 Hey everyone,
Just went to www.cmt.com & looked up Cledus T. Judd's "How do you milk a cow" video & He starts the video driving a Red Delorean to his cuson's farm it's all I wanted ti see of the video.
Lawrence 00538

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

[[ Quote below taken from Cliff's first link:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html ]]

[quote]
"The most recent revisions to the bumper standard took place in May 14, 1982, effective for MY 1983 and subsequent model year passenger cars. This amendment reduced test impact speeds from 5 mph to 2.5 mph for longitudinal front and rear barrier and pendulum impacts and from 3 mph to 1.5 mph for corner pendulum impacts. In addition, Phase I damage resistance criteria were substituted for Phase II criteria and a bumper height requirements of 16 to 20 inches was established for passenger cars."
[end quote]

My car was lowered 1-1/2 inches...
(measuring from the ground up to the top & bottom of the black bumper "Claude impact area") Stock Height:
15.75" bottom, 19.5" top
Lowered Height:
14.25" bottom, 18.125" top

Even though both heights have more than half of the bumper within the 16-20inch requirements, the cars were still raised. I would have to guess that the definition of "bumper height" would be to center the bumper within those measurements. But then again, even my stock height was not "centered". Were there some tolerances allowed? If this law was the reason for the front end raise, it does answer some questions but still leaves some speculation.

Shannon Y
16506

PS
Attn: Mike Griese

> (Mike wrote:)
> 3. Cheap springs sag, they don't lift a car

When I said " 3. cheep springs were used to save money" I did not mean the quality of the springs, I was referring to the price. Hypothetically speaking DMC could have saved money purchasing 'off the shelf' springs (if available, and if correct size but maybe a bit longer than necessary) in stead of manufacturing their own springs from scratch (much like the Volvo engine). So in this case cheap springs could lift a car.

[thanks for looking past my lexDysic tendencies when it came to "cheep" vs "cheap"]

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:47:59 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

Any motor vehicle is only dangerious,if you cannot handle it,or drive
reckless, 99 9/10 of  Delorean owners know better,and the rear end of
the car is of more concern(from being rear-ended)since that is setup
very well for a collision(as testified by previous posters in the past
that got rear -ended)and the sides have been well engineered for side
impacts(again from previous posters that got T-boned) the only concern
is front collision and a flip-over,since DMC/JZD used the Wide Track
concept from his days at Pontiac  flip-overs would be very rare,so that
leaves only frontal impacts,so like driving a Motorcycle as long as the
owners drive with care and responsibility even that should not be a
problem,high or as a low ride,since it is a sports car,and has the
braking and the capabilities,to get out of a difficult situtation,and
the fact that most Deloreans are  not driven as everyday drivers(key
word most),reduces most chances of frontal collisions,by and by the
chances are very slim,The biggest danger for Deloreans getting Damaged
is thru Mother Nature,either related from storms,or Sun Damage,or just
from long term sitting.

cbl

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:30:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You miss the whole concept of safety regulations involving motor
vehicles. Although there are inherent dangers in driving and riding
in motor vehicles there are many things that can be done to reduce
injuries, fatalities, and the chances of even having an accident.
Many of these improvements are useful to all, even careful, safe
drivers. Today it is recognized that things like seat belts, crumple
zones, safety glass, just to name a few, can protect everyone when a
human makes a mistake (which we all do). It is not a matter of "if
you can handle it". Since the automakers were not taking the lead in
introducing safety into cars the government stepped in and mandated
it for everyone's benefit. Many of us are alive now because of these
laws. It has the side benefit of keeping insurance costs down since
the accident rate, fatality rate, and injury rate have been lowered.
Today's cars are made to sacrifice themselves (absorb the energy) so
that the occupants don't have to. The car may get totaled but the
occupants can walk away. A recent accident on the L.I.E in NY
demonstrates how a car can be totaly unrecognizable after an
accident yet the driver survived with minor injuries. A tractor-
trailer went out-of-control and just swept the poor guy in an Audi
into the divider and squished him and a schoolbus against the
divider. It was all caught on video by the school bus camera. The
Audi looked like it went through a shredder!

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:38:07 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

Shannon - springs are pretty easy to make to any spec.  After all, they are just
wire wound around a form.  It's actually less expensive to make shorter
springs than longer ones because of materials cost and cycle time on the
forming maching.

About the only way DeLorean could have saved money here would be to
buy surplus springs from another application.  This is not a good way to
source parts like this because once they run out, you will have to get springs
made to that spec.

-------------- Original message from Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:31:56 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Warm Up regulator

In a message dated 3/22/2006 3:02:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net writes:

If you  know the accumulator is original to the car it should  be
replaced.>>
I replaced mine but still had a hard time keeping it running until it  warmed
up. Turns out I had a loose vacuum line, the one with the little hose  clamp.
New clamp, tightened down, (the old one was rusted,) and the problem went
away.
-Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:33:31 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Static front bumper height is pretty much a moot point.  About the only time
it matters is in low speed impacts (like ones on your desktop while
playing with diecast cars).  As soon as you jump on the brakes when
a collision is imminent the nose of the car dives and the rear end jacks
up.  Any amateur collision analysis would need to take this into account.

-------------- Original message from "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>: --------------

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:23:31 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Many of the auto parts aftermarket companies along with SEMA have active
sites to both inform and organize resistance to various states attempts to
tighten exsisting federal rules reagding things like automobile bumpers.
They do it to protect hobbyists, street rodders for example, so they can
remain creative with their vehicles. I found the following at Advance Auto
Parts web site. I think it pretty much explains where things were between
1979 and 1982 regarding Federal expectations regarding automotive bumpers.
Manufacturers had to do whatever it took to confine low impact damages to
only the bumpers.

Bruce Benson

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20040701bs.html

Bumper Function

The function of the bumper is to absorb crash energy without significant
damage to the bumper itself and no damage to the vehicle's front or rear
end. Generally speaking, today's bumpers are made with a reinforcement bar
of steel, aluminum, fiberglass composite or plastic with a plastic cover.
The system includes crash absorbing mechanisms that compress on impact, such
as polypropylene foam or plastic honeycomb. The most effective bumpers are
positioned with distance between the reinforcement bar and the vehicle's
sheet metal.

To guarantee that automotive bumpers worked well, the federal government
developed safety standards in the early 1970s. The first standard prohibited
damage to safety related equipment in low-speed, 5-mph crashes.

Prohibitive Damage

The next phase, effective for 1979 models, PROHIBITED DAMAGE EXCEPT TO
BUMPERS AND THEIR ATTACHMENTS IN LOW SPEED CRASHES. These standards only
applied to passenger cars, not the generic light-truck category that
includes pick-ups, SUVs and vans or minivans.

 BETWEEN 1980 AND 1982 THE STANDARDS GOT A LITTLE TOUGHER, PROHIBITING ALL
BUT MINOR DAMAGE TO BUMPERS. THE AREA OF PROTECTION WAS DEFINED AS 16 TO 20
INCHES ABOVE THE ROAD SURFACE. The automotive industry met these standards
and in some cases exceeded it.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:41:45 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Purpose of Fuel Accumulator

Other than helping maintain the fuel pressure for hot starts, does the
fuel accumulator also aid while the car is running?  The reason I ask
is that I'll notice the car running very smoothly at times (purring
in  fact), then at other times, a little rough idling.  I am changing
my accumulator in a week or two to hopefully solve my hot start
problem.  Does it also help the run smoothly while in operation?

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:29:47 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Reminder Eurofest

The following countries have confirmed delegates attending Eurofest 2006;
USA, Canada, Ireland, England, Wales, Sweden, Norway, France, Belgium, Holland,
Germany and Australia.

This is a reminder that anyone intending to register should do so within  the
next couple of weeks because of the logistics required in organising the
largest International DeLorean event ever.
Many thanks for your continued support.
Robert Lamrock,  Belfast
_www.eurofest2006.com_ (http://www.eurofest2006.com/)

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:39:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Warm Up regulator

The reason I say to replace an origional accumulator is that they have
a high failure rate when they get this old. If you still have the
origional part it is not a matter of "if" it will fail but "when" and
probably soon. It can be difficult to tell if it is origional. The
"best" way is if the previous owners left a paper trail of service
tickets for all the work to the car. The accumulator is not the only
thing that can affect hot starts. Before replacing it good practice
calls for at least a visual check for obvious things like a loose
vacuum line, disconnected wires, fuel leaks, loose plugs, etc. A
vendor would put a pressure gauge on to confirm a bad accumulator,
maybe you should have done that before spending on an expensive part.
There is also the possability the accumulator was bad AND you had a
vacuum leak.

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:49:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Purpose of Fuel Accumulator

You are right, the accumulator has 2 functions. One is to maintain
"Rest Pressure" so the motor will start when warm-hot without the cold
start system. The other function is to reduce the pulsations from the
fuel pump. It does affect idle quality when the accumulator is bad and
is noticeable.
 Wear eye protection and gloves and keep your mouth closed (Ha Ha).
Use proper fitting wrenches, hold back and DO NOT allow the metal
pipes to twist. You may have to replace the short rubber line if it is
in bad condition. If your accumulator is throwing chunks of diaphram
(little black pieces of rubber), you will see them if after removing
it and you shake it they will come out, then drive the car for a while
and replace the fuel filter. The filter will fill with those chunks so
it should be replaced too, just not at the same time to give all the
chunks time to get in there.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:39:23 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: DCS PR Europe Attendees

Hey all,
     Is anyone from Germany, Austria, or Switzerland going to attend
Ken's DCS '06 in Pheasant Run?  If so, please contact me.

The Arizona DeLorean Club  www.az-d.org