From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:07 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3171

1. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: Front Ride Height Intentions
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Warm Up regulator
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Body panels: repair or replace???
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Coolant Bottle Failure Mode
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. DMA Spring Social: More info. SPECIAL DISCOUNTS!!!
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Motor Oil Spill - Clean Up
From: "rodney rael" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. What is the Percentage of owners on this list,and Delorean diecast models
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Re: Coolant Bottle Failure Mode
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

11. Sunstar Model.
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 02:26:18 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

That's fine on what you are saying for 2000-06 cars,but the cars in question,that I wrote in my post deal with 1981-83 cars in particular Deloreans,so most if not all of the high tech stuff you mention is moot,when driving a Delorean.I do not know your driving record,but I have yet to have made a "mistake"(or gotten into one)after more than
3 decades of driving,Most Delorean owners know their car inside and out,so when driving,we have a "edge" over the other drivers,as we are  not just driving a "car" but monitoring it,in other words we know what our car is doing,at all times,we know what is around us at all times,we are in tune with our car,we are not just " careening down the highway" as Mr.Paper Chaser,that knows nothing about cars is doing, Basically pointing his vehicle down the highway,and letting all the high Tech stuff do all the driving/handling,and hopefully the safety,(that is not me and not a typical of the D owners and NOT even what a D is all about)No Driving a Classic Delorean,means being in touch with your car,becoming one...man and machine combining,the mechanical with the mechanical skills of the driver/owner..man and machine working together in perfect harmony,one controlling the other in a perfect balance,of  car and man in motion,knowing what is going on around the machine,at all times,checking the machines vital signals,for sounds of distress,checking her gages for any signs of pending troubles at all times,Man and Machine,sequenced together,to fully use the mechanics,that each possesses,knowing what the Car will do before it does it,and most important HOW and WHY it does it.That is how I feel and how I drive any Classic car,and even my everyday cars. Its called skilled driving.
cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:37:01 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Besides the easily resolved Delorean suspension issues that are
cause for concern, we know by now that the car is designed well
enough that injuries sustained while operating a Delorean will most
likely stem from situations unrelated to the inadequacies of
design.

As for making accomodations for "operator error," something we are
all guilty of from time to time, we can all appreciate the
safeguards.  Of course, despite such benefits, perfect drivers in
the safest machines we know how to manufacture continue to die.

I take issue with the assertion that safety advances have been
keeping down insurance costs.  If you are paying less, then you are
a lucky man:  tort product liability has increased a great deal, and
we all pay that cost.  The net effect is that we are safer from
these advances, (which is the most important thing!) but the benefit
of paying less in terms of insurance payments is, I believe, as yet
unrealized for most of us.

In addition, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the
following:  some people can't handle machines either through
physical ability or inexperience, though I don't believe the
Delorean is more likely to fall into this category than any other
car.  "Not being able to handle it" fits within the rubric of good
ol' "operator error," which the L.I.E. accident illustrates as well
as anything.  Your own comment confirms this:  with all its
technological design savy, it's still hard to believe a person can
walk away from a shredded car.  Watching a situation like that,
where there's no where to go just goes to show that perfect drivers
in the safest machines we know how to manufacture will continue to
die-- all because someone else was careless... or, put another
way, "couldn't handle it."

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:47:01 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Warm Up regulator

In a message dated 3/23/2006 8:21:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net writes:

The  reason I say to replace an origional accumulator is that they have
a high  failure rate when they get this old.>>

Sorry Dave, I meant to say I replaced my warm up regulator, (not
accumulator,)  as a precaution, but temporarily nullified the benefit by  not having the
vacuum hose attached correctly.
-Wayne

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:33:43 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Body panels: repair or replace???

If you have the Mechanical skills to DIY,then in the long run it
would be cheaper to replace,since at the same time you will be
having "spares" if something should happen in the future,or to offset
your costs,but BEWARE,there is a downside, there are what
seems "gorillas" that work in the shipping industries,and do not be
surprised if a panel comes in shipped with Damage(been there got one
of those)so make sure there is more than enough insurance for
shipping damage.The other nice thing is that you get "hands on"
experiance,and learn how to repair your D.

P.S. one thing: If you replace your own panels do the caveman
thing,and on the backside of the fender(where it can only be seen
when the fender is removed) scribble YOUR VIN NUMBER with a black
permanent marker,in case your car ever gets stolen,in the same manner
as the guys working at the factory did,and as a history marker on
your car.

cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski"

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:50:40 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant Bottle Failure Mode

On 3/19/06, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> I'm in the "keep stainless away from my cooling system" camp too, so

Other than aesthetics, is there any reason for this?

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:57:55 -0000
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual

A couple of weeks ago I was debating whether to sell my DeLorean;
this helped me deside; some "funks" in my neighborhood, probably
in "crack", set fire the my DMC car cover (lucky enough this is
flame returdant), no damage in the interior but the doors have burnt
markings due to the rubber moldings meltinga and smoking; please see
pictures for extent of damage http://www.lugtu.org/my_delorean .

This is a 1982 DeLorean (Oct. 81 Manufacturing date) VIN 4546
equiped with a BAE Turbocharger System, has less than 10,000 miles
on it, 5 speed manual trans, all upgrades are installed, other
upgrades are also installed like Alpine Navigational System (CA & NV
disk) Alpine 6 Disk CD Changer and Alpine Alarm with 4 channel
remote and pager, perimeter sensor (battery was discharged all this
did not work), gray leather interior, etc.

Need replacement, the windshield and the two fixed glass (LH, RH)
door (unfortunately the firemen has to break these unknowingly
concluded the fire was coming from inside the car); the Door Sill
RH, Rocker Panel RH, side moldings, the door handles.

If you're planning to restore, the cost to replaced the damage
parts, less than $2000, parts are available at Delorean.com

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:11:06 -0500
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMA Spring Social: More info. SPECIAL DISCOUNTS!!!

Hello all. Rob Grady unfortunately wonít be able to attend the Spring
Social, but we have Dave T. and pseudo-celebrity Ken Koncelik standing in
for him to do the tech inspections. Ken and Dave are very skilled when it
comes to working on DeLoreans and will have no trouble spotting possible
issues with your DeLorean.

Anyway, as a consolation, Rob Grady has offered 10% off for all parts orders
and free shipping as long as the order is placed by the end of the day on
4/21/06. (Discount may not apply to some parts that require special order.)
This offer is only good for DMA Members that are attending the Spring
Social. So, how will this work? Well, you place your order either by phone
or e-mail, and Rob will ship all parts orders at one time to me and I will
bring them to the Spring Social on Saturday 4/29. Iíll then distribute the
parts to all who made purchases. If you order from HYPERLINK
"http://www.pjgrady.com/"www.PJGrady.com, make sure you write a note saying:
ďIíM ATTENDING THE DMA SPRING SOCIAL ON 4/29 IN FLEMINGTON, NJ. PLEASE GIVE
ME 10% OFF AND SHIP THIS ORDER FOR FREE TO EVIL DAN SO HE CAN GIVE THE PARTS
TO ME AT THE SPRING SOCIAL. THANK YOU!Ē This offer is only good for DMA
members that attend the Spring Social on 4/29. What was that? What did you
say??? Youíre not a member of the DMA??? Well, thatís okÖ you can place your
order with Rob now and when you get to the Spring Social, you can sign up to
be a member that day! Or, you could simply go to HYPERLINK
"http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/"www.DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com and sign up
right now! Either way, youíll get your parts at the special discount price!

Stay tuned! I have more exciting news to be posted very soon about the
event. I guarantee that there will be something exciting stuff!!! This will
truly be a unique event! Go to: HYPERLINK
"http://deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/social06.htm"http://deloreanmidatlant
ic.com/events/social06.htm to see the latest info on the Social. DONíT
FORGET TO SIGN UP FOR THE DINNER ON THE NIGHT OF 4/29!!!

Questions? E-mail me at HYPERLINK
"mailto:Events_at_dml_DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com"Events_at_dml_DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com.

Thank you!
---Evil Dan

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:28:50 -0700
From: "rodney rael" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Motor Oil Spill - Clean Up

Steve:

The recommendations given so far are great....   but if the spill is on dry
concrete driveway, sometimes the "kitty litter" or equivalent is not
sufficient to remove the stain, so I use a product called "Pour and
Restore"   it is available at any Ace hardware store chain.   It is a liquid
that you put on the oil stain, leave it on till the whitish liquid dries
then broom sweep up (usually after about a week)  Remarkably the oil stains
are gone!...

Rodney
3300, 10544.

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 02:20:02 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: What is the Percentage of owners on this list,and Delorean diecast models

Has anybody ever figured out the percentage of the people on this list
that own a Delorean,doesn't matter if it runs or not,just cars that
will someday hit the road will count,but not parts cars.(unless you
plan on restoring it)

P.S.Somebody made a remark that the Sunstar Diecast models
are "matchbox toys"
Just remember not everybody can afford to by a real Delorean,and if
that is all they afford for now,don't knock down their dreams of
ownership,just REMEMBER that is what DMC used and had in the corporate
offices and engineering,and the best of them "played" around with them
for engineering purposes(see quite a few pics in SSI)

cbl

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:25:22 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Ryan - There is a concern with galvanic corrosion between the
stainless steel coolant bottle and the aluminum elsewhere in the
cooling system (engine block, various pipes, water pump, etc.).  The
two materials are a couple of groups away from each other on the
galvanic scale.  If conditions are right (temperature, acidity levels,
various chemical conditions) a corrosion cell can be established
between the stainless and the aluminum, with the aluminum becoming
sacrificial.  That said, if the coolant is a correct mixture of a good
quality antifreeze with an additive package that inhibits corrosion,
and the mixture is renewed every two years (as is often recommended),
the chance of this corrosion happening is relatively low, and the pace
of the corrosion will be very slow.  There are many engines out there
with a mixture of materials (cast iron, alloy steel, aluminum) that do
not have issues because of the modern chemistry in antifreeze.  As I
recall, stainless steel is one group further removed than alloy steel
from aluminum, so the galvanic potential is increased somewhat with
the stainless / aluminum mix.  Any questions? (~grin~).

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:14:24 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Sunstar Model.

REMEMBER for the show that we do have a class for the Sunstar model or any
Delorean model for that fact.   We offer two awards for the Sunstar  the
regular class and the Modified class so please enter you Sunstar  DeLorean or any
other model at the show.