From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:48 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3173

1. DMC in Car Museum in New Zealand.
From: dave jaffray-smith <xajaffa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Carpet Glue
From: "Declan Gantley" <dgantley_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Mysterious Buzzing Sound & Brake Light Problem
From: "Bobby Mims" <bmims1_at_dml_ut-texas.com>

5. Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: "rodney rael" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. 1982 Turbo Delorean
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Looking for Orlando area D owner(s)
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. RE: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: mike wolterbeek <drsafety101_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Anyone got experience of fitting DMCH's arm rest caps?
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>

10. Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Fitting New FM Aerial
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

12. Re: Mysterious Buzzing Sound & Brake Light Problem
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

13. RE: Looking for Orlando area D owner(s)
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

14. RE: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Fitting New FM Aerial
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. Re: Re: Mysterious Buzzing Sound & Brake Light Problem
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. movement in the gearbox
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

20. Re: Fitting New FM Aerial
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

21. Cadillac with a DeLorean Northstar?
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Cadillac with a DeLorean Northstar?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. not just ground points anymore
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Anyone got experience of fitting DMCH's arm rest caps?
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

26. Re: Carpet Glue
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:58:57 +1200 (NZST)
From: dave jaffray-smith <xajaffa_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC in Car Museum in New Zealand.

I saw this car about 7 years ago in exactly the same place.

It look's like it hasnt been shifted.

Not sure of the chassis number but maybe someone can find out using the number plate.

Had a pretty good look at it but couldnt get too close.

The speedo reads 16,000 miles.

Jaffa. (New Zealand)

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:03:47 -0000
From: "Declan Gantley" <dgantley_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Carpet Glue

Hi All,
Just wondering what would be the recommended glue / sticking agent for the Carpets (x4) in the Luggage Compartment

Regards

Declan

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:41:24 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: For Sale: 1982 Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual

I am truly sorry for your loss.

I'm not trying to splitt hairs or anything. But an Oct. 81 vin Is considered an 81 model year.

My vin is 5180 (Oct 81.) The last81 model year VIN was 7199.  Also 82 models came with no line hood and the DELOREAN emblem.

Althought ,I have heard of a rare occasion where a car was pulled from the line for what ever reason and delayed the production delivery and being givin' a current model year title.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:50:50 -0600
From: "Bobby Mims" <bmims1_at_dml_ut-texas.com>
Subject: Mysterious Buzzing Sound & Brake Light Problem

I have a mysterious buzzing sound emanating from the firewall area of my DeLorean.  It continues after the ignition is turned off.  I have disconnected the battery but it starts again when reconnected.  I am at a loss for a possible cause.  Any idea would be appreciated.

The brake light indicator lamp is constantly on in my instrument panel but the emergency brake is not engaged.  Could these be related?

Regards,
Bobby Mims
Tyler, Texas

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:05:28 -0700
From: "rodney rael" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

Tito:

Very sorry to hear about your car and see the pictures.   That is definately
heart breaking, and does look like more damage than it really is...   Engine
looks great and nice turbo!...   If I didn't already have 3300 and 10544
which is my project restoration, I might be interested, but as it is, wife's
tolerance is at it's limit, toward deloreans.   And we are adopting two
children from Russia this month!...

Did insurance cover damage adequately? Or did you have car insured fully?

Take care..

Rodney
3300, 10544

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:45:55 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 1982 Turbo Delorean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_...> wrote:

> This is a 1982 DeLorean (Oct. 81 Manufacturing date) VIN 4546
 - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This sort of anomaly seems to creep up every now and then.  According
to all official records, VIN 4546 is an '81.  I purchased 6530 (2000
numbers later) new - it was sold as, registered and titled as an 81.

This may be splitting hairs, and if so, I apologize.  I recognize
that, these days, cars built in October are always "next year's
models" - heck some cars built in March are advertised as next years
models.  However, for whatever reason, that did not seem to apply to
our DeLoreans. I even mentioned this to the dealer when I bought my
car, and he referred to it as a "late '81" (an unoffical description).

I guess my only concern here is if someone were to purchase this or
similar cars thinking they were getting an '82 and then saw the
Production Chronology on the Mailing list web site, they might be a
bit dissatisfied.

This is not intended to be a reflection upon the car in question;
simply a point of clarification.

Dick Ryan

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:10:40 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Looking for Orlando area D owner(s)

A friend of mine in Orlando just sent me the following request:

------
A buddy of mine had a DeLorean back in high-school. We shot some video
of him peeling out in the mall parking lot. Against all odds, I still
have that footage and plan to use it at the 20 year reunion I am
organizing.

However, I'd like to shoot an extra snippet of me in a DeLorean
pulling up to a camera, jumping out, and saying "we're back in 1986!"
Then show old high school photos as part of a montage to be played at
the reunion.
------

He has all the necessary video equipment, and is just looking for
someone to help him out for a quick scene.   If anyone in the Orlando
area would be interested in helping him out for an hour some
afternoon, please email me off-list so I can put you in contact with
him.

thanks!!
-Hank #1619

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:19:19 -0800 (PST)
From: mike wolterbeek <drsafety101_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Where are you located!?

  Total pisser though!

Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
  I lived here for 14 years, and my car is parked

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:31:02 -0000
From: "mrvic20" <faycraig.newton_at_dml_virgin.net>
Subject: Anyone got experience of fitting DMCH's arm rest caps?

Hi all!

I ordered the narrow and wide arm rest caps from DMCH as i could not
work out which one was right for my car!

I discovered that the wide ones were the closest fit but when i
attempted to fit them, i had trouble getting a satisfactory fit.
There is a lip and it prefents the cap from sitting totally flush.
Is it meant to be like this?  I could trim the edge off and that
should sort it out, just wondering if you guys have any experience
of the items!

Many Thanks

Craig Vin 16723
DOC 20

W300010  Arm Rest Caps - Black, Wide (Pair)-

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:29:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Rodney,

  Thank you for your email, I appreciate it. And together with all the members of this community ... all your presence means a lot to me. Really heart breaking, everytime I look at the car, takes a lot of my energy, I spend more attention with this car than my wife, too ... it's the big boys toy ... I only have liability since I very seldom use it ...

  Regards to you and your family,

  Tito

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:30:31 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Fitting New FM Aerial

Hi All

I have the original Craig Radio fitted to my car and get the worst FM
reception with it.

I dont even have a clue where my original Aerial is fitted (rear
window I think)

I am going to buy a replacment aerial that I am going to fit on the
rear parcel shelf jsut below the window and was wondering how easy or
hard the fitting of the new aerial to the back of the radio is??

I have never ventured that far up behind the dash before!!

Alistair
Vin:- Pilot 25
Belfast

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:39:51 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Mysterious Buzzing Sound & Brake Light Problem

Could it be the door buzzer?  Sometimes the pins don't push the door
switch closed all the way when the door is closed.  I had to extend
the ends of the pins. One controls lights and the other the buzzer.

Paul

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:38:17 -0500
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Looking for Orlando area D owner(s)

I would be more than happy to help out.  I live in the Longwood area.
My D is currently in the shop but should be out within the next 3 weeks.
Ed

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:39:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Westlake District, Daly City, CA 94015

mike wolterbeek <drsafety101_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:  Where are you located!?

Total pisser though!

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I could be wrong on my posting since I'm not really aware of the chronological order of this cars but this was the model year the prevoius owner has on the pink slip when I purchased it in 1992 ...

dmc_5180 <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:  I am truly sorry for your loss.

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:25:50 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Well the hood could have been easily swapped at the dealer or
elsewhere. When i bought 06683 NOV 1981 model back in 2003  it had a
flat hood, we all know it left the factory with a grooved hood. It now
has a grooved hood again.

Mark V

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:41:09 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fitting New FM Aerial

Hi Alistair

The early cars, I'd assume including yours, have a printed aerial in the
windscreen. Although yours has some late features, it probably doesn't
have the electric aerial inside the "fake" air vent behind the left
quarter glass.

I experimented with a replacement amplified dash-mount flat aerial from
Maplin and the reception was equally bad. The problem wasn't the aerial,
it's the stereo. Cars with original Craig's and a proper aerial still
have crap reception. My Kenwood gives excellent reception from my
original windscreen-printed aerial. Suggest you think about a new stereo
before worrying about the aerial :-) If you don't have the windscreen
aerial, go buy a cheap dash-mount one (I stuck mine to the back of the
glovebox - it's a fibreglass car after all :-) and the plug us a very
simple jack style common to all stereos then and now.

Martin
#1458 (will be gutted if the windscreen ever needs changing!)
#4426 (electric in rear quarter)

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:45:42 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I'd take the"firewall" to mean the one between you and the engine, but
if you mean by your feet, then it could be your fuel pump and the rpm
relay is either stuck or has been bypassed, but that'd flatten a battery
fairly quickly. I think Paul's probably correct and it's your buzzer.
Mine wasn't connected when I bought my car and soon discovered why.
Plugged it in - Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................. and so on. It got
unplugged about 20 seconds of continuous buzzing later.

Okay, time to get something off my chest: If the buzzer actually told me
something I might actually want to know, for example, oh, I don't
know.... THAT I'D LEFT MY LIGHTS ON, I might plug it back in. I mean,
every other car with a buzzer tells you this, don't they?!?!?!

Your brake light relates to the handbrake and also to low fluid level in
your brake master cylinder.

Martin

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:55:35 +0100
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: movement in the gearbox

Hi All,

Just a quick question.

I have only ever driven #2493 and have noticed that there is a lot of
movement of the gear stick when in gear.  It does not pop out of gear or
anything but would probably have around an inch or movement in any direction
when in gear.  Is this normal or should the gearbox and stick be quite tight
in gears.  Also in the mornings or generally at start-up from cold its
sometimes hard to get out of first (have to double the clutch).  Once I make
the first change its ok after that.  Do you reckon there is anything I need
to address; I have not changed the gearbox oil as I only have the car about
3 months.

Cheers

Paul
Belfast

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:25:47 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi Alistair

Personally i intend to keep mine as stock, with the 'period' craig!

if i fit a cd etc, i would try and wire through the FM lead, from
another mp3/cd/radio in the glove box or behind the driver etc.

Maplin electronics sell the FM modulator. could then have a remote
cd/radio up/down.

just a thought.
perhaps i'll change my mind when i have driven her for 10 000 miles.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:29:01 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Cadillac with a DeLorean Northstar?

Check out this link.  What does this mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Cadillac-Seville-STS-Northstar-DeLorean-
Trunk-lid_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33644QQitemZ8049731766QQrdZ1

The auction is for the trunk lid off of a 95 Cadillac Seville STS Northstar DeLorean.
What the hell is up with that?  Look at the picture of the trunk.  On the left side, there
is clearly a DeLorean logo.  But it is not the typical DMC font.

Here is the description of the auction...

"1995 Cadillac Seville STS Northstar DeLorean parts car.The car is black in color,
black interior, northstar engine parts or whole engine available. This auction is for the
Trunk lid with the delorean emblem as is, The 3rd brake light is not included. I will
part any of this car, e-mail me for needs, wants etc. E-mail me or any other parts
needed."

Anyone know what this car has to do with DeLorean?

Corey

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:42:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Cadillac with a DeLorean Northstar?

Not very much. It means it was sold by DeLorean Cadillac in Cleveland
Ohio.  The dealer is (or was) owned by John's brother.

Dave S

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:55:32 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: not just ground points anymore

For years I've heard check your ground points and that is a definite
weakness.
But what about the other electrical points?

My car just died after starting up. Kaput. Everything-- no lights, nothing.
After digging in with the meter (and a call from Warren who heard through
the grapevine about my problem and suggested a place to look) I found this
little bad problem this afternoon.
I initially thought it was the lock module that drained the battery, so I
first pulled that and charged it but EVERYTHING was still dead.
The jump post had 12V, the alternator had 12V... so that suggested it was
the input back into the electrical compartment just like Warren said to
check. Sure enough I wiggled that and the car started humming (left the key
in the on position). I ran it a few seconds and continue to diagnoes the
whole problem. I disconnect the batter and pull out this post (all the brown
wires connect to it) and it is just filthy inside and out-- and HOT. A lot
of resistance was going on here.
The isolator/surround around the brass post is melted and looks like crap.

I don't see one on the DMCH site so I'll be calling Warren in the morning to
find out if I'm looking cross-eyed or something.

But let this be a lesson-- don't focus on the grounds and ignore the
positive post too!!

-Kevin

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:56:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I added more pictures e.g. Alpine Stereo and Navigational System, Alpine Security System equiped with Alpine Pager and Perimeter Sensor this is cool man, it beep once when it's activated (perimeter) and beep twice if alarm is on, plus the antena goes up ... too bad non of this works when battery is dead <:-(  http://www.lugtu.org/my_delorean

TALugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:  A couple of weeks ago I was debating whether to sell my DeLorean;
this helped me deside;

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:13:17 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

IMO, though they can be made to fit either style of armrest extension,
they are intended primarily for the earlier "two-piece" style armrest
extension. Later ones, like on your 16XXX VIN, probably are the
one-piece style, where the two pieces are covered with a vacuum formed
thin piece of plastic which wears much more durably than the plain
vinyl found on the earlier two piece style armrest extension piece.

The cars are old enough now that even the later style ones are showing
wear, and many people will try to fit these armrest caps in place. We
put them on the reman cars now, regardless of style of armrest
extension on the car (one piece or two), to preserve them as long as
possible.

If you wish to still try to fit them to your car, the "whittle to fit"
method is what works best, and you will use the "wide" caps and not
the narrow.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 02:44:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Carpet Glue

The carpet is glued to the fiberboard and the velco is glued to the
fiberboard and the fiberglass body. I use 3M trim adhesive.