From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 7:09 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3177

1. Original BTTF D sold?
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Front grill
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Front grill
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Door Lock System upgrade
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. Loss of electrical power problem
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Windshield Cracked.
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>

8. Re: James Andrew Dille
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. thread size of upper rear suspension bolt?
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

12. Re: Loss of electrical power problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: Original BTTF D sold?
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

14. Re: Windshield Cracked.
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. A/C cycle very short
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. RE: thread size of upper rear suspension bolt?
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

17. Need a set of original Goodyear NCTs
From: "Ken - ODOC \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:11:24 -0500
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Original BTTF D sold?

Sounds like someone got scammed to me, doesn't Universal still own all of the cars used in the movies?

------------------------------
from http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=15118

*The Delorean used by Michael J Fox as a time machine in Steven Spielberg’s ‘Back to the Future’ film trilogy has been sold.*

The buyer of the car is none other than Son of Dork’s James Bourne, who picked up the car for £18,000.

A source told The Mirror: “James loves ‘Back to the Future’, and when he found out the original car was for sale he went to Bath to buy it.

“It’s only got 100 miles on the clock as it was only driven round the set.”

Maybe he could go back to his Busted days forever now...anyone got any plutonium?

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:53:46 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Front grill

Well, if you have scratches or imperfections in the grile, then yes
primer would give you the benefit of fillinf them in a bit.

So yes if you do have scratches, or imperfections, go ahead with the
primer, but if your grille is perfect to begine with, the primer isn't
necessary if prepped and cleaned properly.

It looks like brand new afterwards.

-Joe O'Brien

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Right...  Primer is not technically necessary.  But, it does help
the paint to bond to the
> surface a lot better than paint alone.  Primer also fills in and
masks small
> imperfections that would be visible if it was just paint alone.
i.e. little scratches and

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:56:48 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Front grill

Errr - no, Primer on the front grill is absolutely needed. Try painting
it without and you'll see what I mean, as the paint disappears into the
grill.

Martin

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:41:20 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Polished wheels vs. powder coated

Hi there, check out my powered coated wheels on the Photo segment of
this forum. I pondered several finishes before committing to powder
coat. I did it, it killed me but the results were fantastic. I
receive compliments on my rims often, this was not so before.
Please take a look. The color I selected is called Hyper silver. You
will find this color on new BMW M3's or Infinity sports cars.
Mercedes uses hyper silver with a white base coat. Hyper silver with
the black base coat give off a polished yet chrome yet painted
appeal.
Check out to see what I mean. If JZD had seen this color offered in
at the factory, I bet he would have selected it. At least I would
like to think so...LOL

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:59:27 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Door Lock System upgrade

Hello Gang - With permission from the Moderator, we wanted to let you
know that we have created the ultimate upgrade kit for the DeLorean
door locks.  We have combined our Digital Door Lock Module with our
door lock actuators to form the perfect kit for solving most of the
issues related to the DeLorean door locking system.  Since the digital
module has been optimized for direct drive of the actuators, we have
been able to eliminate some of the components normally required for
the actuator installation.  This has allowed us to offer this "Combo
System" at a lower price than the individual systems purchased
separately.  Search for part number K2916DP in the "search" box on our
website for further information, or simply click on the "Wings-A-Loft"
icon.  Thank you so much.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:25:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Loss of electrical power problem

Ok, long story short a new plug wire set was put on
the car, and I recently re-tuned the car (last
Sunday), modifying the position of the throttle plates
from being a tad bit open to being completely and
totally closed when the car idles.  Here we go:

Today, I was driving at about 45mph with the temp
gauge near 160 (unmarked line before 220), and I made
a sudden stop due to a car stopping in front of me.
Well, when I did this - my car died.  I restarted and
figured it was a fluke.  I did it again just to test
it - 45mph and sudden stop - my car died again.  So I
waited until the transmission fully shifted into 3rd
(auto tranny), and slowly came to a gradual stop.
When I did this, the car downshifted from 3rd to 2nd
well, but from 2nd to 1st - when it downshifted - the
rpms jumped down from 1000 to 500 and then shot right
back up to 1000 - so suddenly my battery and oil light
came on and off as if the car aaalllmosttt lost it.

Also now, if I mess with the mixture screw at all -
lean it or enrichen it - when I pull the allen wrench
out of the hole, the car will die every time.  I
haven't messed with it in forever - but considering
the nature of the car and practically having to retune
when doing a tuneup, I had to adjust the mixture
screw, and that is how I found this symptom (one of my
plug wires hadn't been firing so this adjustment was
necessary considering I don't run the lambda system at
ALL).

When I drove home tonight, I noticed my battery light
was just spazzing - flickering extremely rapidly.  I
got out, wiggled/tightened the power plug on the side
of the alternator, and the battery light stopped
flickering.  After I did this, all the symptoms of the
car dying (minus tuning the mixture screw) seemed to
disappear.  Keep in mind, this was less than a 1 mile
test drive as I was in my neighborhood and it was
about 1am so I couldn't do a full test drive/stop-go
conditions, and the car was a bit warmer than earlier
when the symptoms were prevalent.  Could all of those
symptoms have been caused by a loose electrical
connection to the alternator and the engine wasn't
getting adequate power to deal with the sudden stops?

This is a new one for me, and maybe all I need to do
is reposition the throttle plates where I had them for
the last two years.  I don't like the car dying like
that in the middle of the street due to a sudden stop.
 That's extremely dangerous...

Jeremiah

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:49:57 -0000
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>
Subject: Windshield Cracked.

Hello everyone.
Do not I repeat Do not I repeat Do not glue the rear view mirror to
your windshield.  Or you will get what I got.  A big ol' crack down
the middle of your windshield.

I included a picture in the PHOTOS section titled Windshield Cracked.

January 2001 went to inspect VIN 02261 "1981 DeLorean" for sale and
there was a big crack in the windshield.  Previous owner had a brand
new/old stock DMC windshield to replace the one with a crack in it.
Puchased VIN 02261 in February 2001 with the brand new/old stock DMC
windshield just installed.  The previous owner had the DMC mirror
glued to the newly installed windshield.

Jump ahead to the winter of 2002/2003 and a crack suddenly appeared
on the interior sheet of glass (you can feel it with your
fingernail) at the exact spot of the black patch.  This crack
started at the black patch and went up the glass until it reached
the top.  The exterior sheet of glass is as smooth as well…glass and
no crack can be felt.

Jump ahead to the spring of 2003 and on the very first warm sunny
day that same crack started a journey in the opposite direction
beginning at the black patch and continued down the windshield until
it reached the bottom.

Jump ahead to today Saturday, March 19, 2006 and I took a photo for
all to see.

Also go to
http://www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999/
and click on Tech Tips and download or copy or whatever you can in
case this web site changes names or is no longer in existence.  It's
chock full of handy tech tips.

Mark R. Vanyo
VIN 02261
July, 1981

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:31:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: James Andrew Dille

I apologise in advance for the "me to" post.

James,
I'd like to 2nd what Rick said.
Please check your email and respond so we know the info. you requested has gotten
to you.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:54:34 -0800 (PST)
   From: rick abarca <stangboy70us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: James Andrew Dille

To James Andrew Dille in Ohio, I am having problems
getting through to you due to your spam filter, i need
to know if the info I sent to you got there.

Rick

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:31:20 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: thread size of upper rear suspension bolt?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what thread size is used where the rear upper link arm
meets the chassis? The suspension bolt here goes through the suspension
arm and into a threaded insert on the frame, and it is this thread size
I need to know.

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:50:45 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

WOW!  I saw the photos posted before your message, and was waiting
for the explanation.  Thanks for posting.  I love the polished metal
look, and was wondering if that look could be achieved with powder
coating, without it simply looking like paint.  I plan to check out
these options when I bring my wheels to the local coating facility.

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:09:14 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Lovely !...thats the finish i have on my wheels and very nice they
look too, Go get yourself some new wheel nuts with the chrome caps
on, I believe J Hervey has some which will match nicely :)

Top work!

Regards

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:53:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Loss of electrical power problem

It sounds to me like you have more bad connections. The battery should
have kept the motor from dying so I would recheck all the big
connections from the battery to the starter, alternator, and frame.
All the wires going to the output terminal of the alternator carry the
power between the alternator, the battery, and the car's electrical
system. A very important point. If your wiggling it has an effect that
is not good. That can cause all kinds of symptoms including a bad
idle, the car dying, etc. I would also check the inertia switch. It
should have a white paint splotch on it and be on the cowl, not the
Lambda counter. When you remove the allen wrench after adjusting the
mixture screw you MUST plug the hole in the housing to prevent a huge
vacuum leak. It sounds like someone upped the idle to overcome
stalling. Fix the electrical problems and many of these symptoms will
go away. I would start by disconnecting the battery and cleaning those
connections and the one on the alternator where all the brown wires
attach. Make sure the idle switch is properly adjusted so it trips at
idle.

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:04:41 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Re: Original BTTF D sold?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_...> wrote:
>Sounds like someone got scammed to me, doesn't Universal still own all
>of the cars used in the movies?

There's at least one of the seven original cars now in private hands,
but yes, most of them are still in Universal's reach.  The new owner in
question most likely bought one of the publicity mock-ups from 1990
used to promote the films and new Ride.

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:50:42 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield Cracked.

Mark, & list:

Did you glue the mirror to the glass windshield, or to the black patch
on the windshield?

I bought my DeLorean 2 years ago and the mirror was very loose,
"secured" with double-sided sticky tape. My windshield appears stock
as best as I can tell; it has a square black patch where the mirror
should mount that seems to be "built into" the windshield.

I promptly superglued the mirror to the black patch using the gel type
superglue, making sure to not get any glue on the glass itself.
Several people jumped on me, told me this would break the windshield,
but I assumed I'd be fine since I glued to the black patch and not to
the glass itself.

A year ago the mirror fell off. Apparently I didn't use enough
superglue. I tried one of those glass mirror-mount pads from the local
auto supply store as directed from someone on the list and it didn't
work at all. Flat out refused to stick to that black patch. I believe
those were made to stick to glass, and this black patch isn't glass.

So I superglued the mirror back on. It fell off again a few weeks ago
and I superglued it again. Seems to last 8 to 12 months every time I
glue it.

My windshield is still intact, without any cracks, but if there is a
better way here, I'd love to hear it.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:38:52 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: A/C cycle very short

It's getting warmer out there, so I ran my A/C today. It blows nice
cold air but the cycle is really, really short - 3 seconds on, 3
seconds off, over and over again. Any idea what might be wrong?

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:06:30 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: thread size of upper rear suspension bolt?

Hi John,

1/2"(diameter) x 20(thread pitch) that was too easy...ask something harder!
BTW most of the major suspension bolts are that size except the TABs(.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:32:25 -0500
From: "Ken - ODOC \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: Need a set of original Goodyear NCTs

If anybody has a set that they want to move QUICK please email me off the
list.

Ken ( at ) odoc.ca

Thank you

Ken