From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:39 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3178

1. Re: A/C cycle very short
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. DeLorean Sighting
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

3. Re: Need a set of original Goodyear NCTs
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

4. Re: Windshield Cracked.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

5. New server for DMC Maryland
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Windshield Cracked.
From: DAVID BAUERLE <dave.bauerle1_at_dml_verizon.net>

7. Re: Re: Original BTTF D sold?
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

8. Re: A/C cycle very short
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Do you own one of these VINs?
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. Re: A/C cycle very short
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

13. Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

18. Door Light Removal
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

19. Strut Pressure and Wings-A-Loft
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

20. Re: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. Re: Re: Original BTTF D sold?
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: Do you own one of these VINs? (revised)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Re: Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

24. RE: New server for DMC Maryland
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

25. RE: Strut Pressure and Wings-A-Loft
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:52:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: A/C cycle very short

Depending on the temperatures that may be normal operation. Make sure the evaporator coil and condensor coil are clean. The way to change the cycle time is by the amount of refrigerent and adjusting the low pressure switch. Under normal operation the compressor is supposed to cycle.

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:09:52 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: DeLorean Sighting

One of my co-workers told me he saw a DeLorean on the Carliske Pike in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania near the Pep Boys at about noon on Tuesday.  Was it anyone on this list?

Brent Lundgren

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:59:01 -0500 (EST)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Need a set of original Goodyear NCTs

Ive seen at specialtauto that John Hervey has a set for sale in the $250.00 price range
--------
"Ken - ODOC (Ontario DeLorean Owners Club)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca> wrote:

If anybody has a set that they want to move QUICK please email me off the list.

Ken ( at ) odoc.ca

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:48:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield Cracked.

If you try to glue it back on you have to get a "kit" that includes primer. Most large auto supply stores will have it. Alternatively clean the area well with alcohol and get the special piece of double-stick tape either from an auto glass shop or a Delorean vendor.
Ordinary double-stick tape doesn't work.

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New server for DMC Maryland

I found a really good free server so I'm moving our site there.  The advantages are no banner ads, no pop-ups, and practically unlimited storage.  (freewebs.com)  I also found a place that will give you free .co.nr URL's so I got one of those too.  The new address is now dmcmd.co.nr.  I left a link on the old page so that it can still be reached from the original address.

 Chuck McKnight

 P.S.  Does anyone here know what the HTML code is for automatic redirecting? [reply off list - gullwingdoors(at)yahoo.com]

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:45:08 -0800 (PST)
From: DAVID BAUERLE <dave.bauerle1_at_dml_verizon.net>

In my shop we use a 2 part structural adhesive made by #3M. Always works and have never had a windshield problem. I have never had any success with two sided tape or anything else.
  Dave

----
Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
Mark, & list:

Did you glue the mirror to the glass windshield, or to the black patch
on the windshield?

---

So I superglued the mirror back on. It fell off again a few weeks ago
and I superglued it again. Seems to last 8 to 12 months every time I
glue it.

My windshield is still intact, without any cracks, but if there is a
better way here, I'd love to hear it.

-Ryan

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:11:30 +0100 (BST)
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Original BTTF D sold?

Hi all

The car in question is the car in the explodaview poster......

It has no bttf kit on it and was in no way offered as the car from
bttf.

The papers have heard that he has bought a Delorean and seeing as most
people under the age of thirty believe that there was only 3 deloreans
built for the films then they put two and two together and got six.

The guy who bought it "James Bourne" was in a band in england called
BUSTED and has always said how he loved the car and that he really
liked the idea of driving a car with an aluminium body, so I am glad
that he is a "BIG" fan and well into delorean history, lol.

Alistair McCann
VIN:- PILOT25
Belfast.

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:51:11 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

I am having the exact same problem (last time I checked, last summer).
My low pressure at rest was 80-100, at idle was 35-40. If anyone could
help us out, that would be great!

-Derek #10084

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:13:00 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?

Are the doors (when opened) supposed to have yellow lights on the
front and rear, and the red in the center/bottom?   I have the red
lens switched with a yellow one on my passenger door.  How do these
come off, so I can switch them back?  Thanks.

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:32:01 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix

My RPM gauge appeared to have stopped working yesterday.  After
changing my fuel accumulator last night (can I say how much of a pain
in the ass that job was!), I ran the car, and the RPM gauge just sits
at about 1000 rpms, even if I press the gas pedal and rev the engine.
I drove it to work today, still stayed relatively motionless, except
for floating up and down a few hundred RPM on the gauge.  Could I have
knocked out a sensor or broke a wire?

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:35:15 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Do you own one of these VINs?

VIN 00190 - Carfax says it passed emissions in Wood River, IL on October
20, 2005.

VIN 01398 - Carfax says it passed emissions in Edmond, OK on February 2,
2006.

If you're on the list, please email me privately at james (at)
delorean.com - thank you!

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:22:33 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I too, was annoyed that mine would cycle every 5 seconds or so last
summer.  Is the low pressure switch adjustment easy to make?  Isn't
the cycle time supposed to be every 45 seconds or so?

Paul

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:34:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?

The red lense is supposed to be in the rear facing light. The forward
facing light and the side facing light are amber. The lenses pop out.
You have to pry the rubber over carefuly so you don't crack the lense.
To install you gently pry the rubber over the edge of the lense. You
may want to consider replacing the bulbs so you don't have to do it
again soon. Bulbs are cheap. You might consider for a few more $$
converting to L.E.D,'s. Make sure when you close the door the lights
go out.

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:00:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Paul,

  Pull back the rubber around the lens and carefully remove the lens one corner at a time.  Usually one corner of the rubber has a slit in it.  It is easiest to start at this corner.  You may want to use a small screwdriver to assist in removing the lens, however be careful not to scratch the lens.
  Let me know how it goes

  -Chris
  DMC 6453

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:40:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix

It is a good bet you knocked a connection loose. Go over the areas you
just recently worked on and check the connections. Did you touch
anything on the firewall near the ballast resistors or the coil cover?
You can also check the grounding point on the front radiator support
by the right front wheel. If you can't find it then you will just have
to follow the wires that feed the Tach and see where they connect (or
not). The Tach wiring does not go anywhere near the fuel accumulator.
There is no sensor. The tach is run off of the ignition circuit and we
know that works because the motor runs.

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:22:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

The lens sits in a rubber housing, if I remember from
swapping the bulbs to LEDs.  I popped out the housing
with a plastic screwdriver, and then worked the lens
out of the housing.  Pretty easy...

Regards,
Wayne / VIN2447

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:38:24 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Someone emailed me to say that the marker lights are just in rubber
housings that can be pried off, so I should be all set now.  Also,
pictures I've seen show that the red marker light is in the rear of
the door, and the yellow on the botton and front.

Paul

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:29:43 -0800
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Door Light Removal

The lenses come out easily with a smallish screw driver.  Just carefully maneuver between the rubber and the lens one side, then it should pop out or start on an adjacent side.

The colors are red at the back and amber in the center and front.  Now is a good time to get LEDS from SuperBriteLeds.com.   Get the multiple LED types...even brighter and still less power (and heat) than the bulbs.  If I remember right, they are polarized, so don't be surprised if first insertion doesn't work.  Take bulb out, rotate 180 degrees and reinsert.

The door lenses go in by putting a corner in, under the lip and then working them in.  I suggest you get some silicon grease and work it into the rubber before reinserting the lens.  Extends the life of the rubber and softens it so that the lens goes in easier.  A lot of hardware stores sell it as "Plumbers' grease in 2" diameter by 1/2" thick containers.  If you plan on doing a lot of things to your car,  DOW DC-4 in the tube is great for all of the rubber components.  One tube will last for years.  Places you might not think of:
hoses, other rubber light sockets, screws that hold the tail lights, side lights, and other pieces that screw into the threaded metal and nylon inserts in the body.

LEDS  work great in the running lights too.
Put red LEDS behind red lenses, amber behind amber.

If you really want to go wild LED replacments for back-up and parking lights are great.  Don't put them in turn indicators (screws up the blinker).

Al
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4639/#16049

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:35:48 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Strut Pressure and Wings-A-Loft

I have installed the Wings-A-Loft on my car which I really like. If I
try to open the car remotely after a period of time, say overnight,
there doesn't seem to be enough strength in the struts and torsion bar
to push open the door. If I open the door and then close it, the doors
will open fine when I push the remote button. Do struts loose their
compression after a period of time and does opening and closing the
doors recompress the tension (or whatever) in the struts? Any other
Wings-A-Loft users have the same problem and what is the solution? I
don't want to tighten the torsion bar any. The doors open fully and
don't droop.

Shannon

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:51:09 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

The first question is - does it drop to zero with the ignition on,
engine off? It sounds like a dodgy connection or broken gauge. It uses
the same feed as the RPM relay, coil and idlespeed scu. White/Slate wire

Martin

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:52:30 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Actually it apparently has a crate engine that was removed from one of
the cars used by universal, never run. Certainly looked/sounded new when
I got it started

Martin

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:47:13 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Do you own one of these VINs? (revised)

Should be VIN 00910 - not 00190 - thanks...

James

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:46:45 -0500
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?

One quick hint I didn't see anyone mention:  If you have still have
incandescent bulbs, leave your doors open for about 15 minutes.  The heat
from the bulb will make the rubber more pliable, and the lens will be easier
to remove.

-Luke

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:44:36 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: New server for DMC Maryland

Chuck - I read the fine print - extract follows:
...All non-premium [free] users are required to have the Freewebs FreeBar
Code on their website, maximum limit of 50 files per account, unavailability
of several site add-ons and extras, non-premium sites older than 7 days ...
will automatically have banner advertisements inserted at the top of the
site... download limit is 40MB/month [so account is shut off if, for
instance, 80 people view a 500k file] - - until you pay for more bandwidth,
premium account, etc.

Let me know off-list if you still need the HTML/JavaScript redirect code.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:30:05 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Strut Pressure and Wings-A-Loft

I suspect that the strut seals are bad. Since the Wings-A-Loft doesn't add
any lift to the door (like pulling up on the door handle does) you are just
noticing the strut problem more. The first time you open the door, it may be
primarily the torsion bar and strut spring opening the door. On subsequent
openings, your struts have sucked in some air which compresses and helps the
door to open.

Is it possible a PO already adjusted the torsion bar to compensate for weak
struts? If so, when you install good struts, you'll have to back off on the
torsion bar.

At our PNDC tech sessions, we used to do a lot of torsion bar adjustments,
mainly to back them off when a good set of struts was installed. We always
recommend starting with a new set of struts, and only adjusting the torsion
bar if absolutely necessary. I've seen cars with good-quality
temperature-compensated struts go for many years without a significant
change in lift strength.

Gary
IN2TIME