From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 11:13 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3184

1. Re: Top Speed
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

2. Re: headers - on or off?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Top Speed
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Muffler Paint / AC Water
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: Top Speed
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

6. Re: Top Speed
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

7. Re: Re: Looking for connection in Relay Compartment
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

8. Starter issue
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: headers - on or off?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: headers - on or off?
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. BAE Turbo Documentation
From: Markus Knöpfle <magrutter_at_dml_web.de>

12. Re: Top Speed
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Hello from new member!
From: "delorean_lady" <delorean_lady_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: front licence plate holder
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

15. Re: Top Speed
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Need front headlights for right hand drive car
From: "bluemax86" <bluemax86_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Wiring schematic for binnacle
From: "bluemax86" <bluemax86_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Engine squeal
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

19. Re: Top Speed
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

20. Re: BAE Turbo Documentation
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Engine squeal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Re: Top Speed
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

23. Re: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

24. Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

25. RE: BAE Turbo Documentation
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

26. Re: BAE Turbo Documentation
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:44:14 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Top Speed

You should be able to go faster. Make sure your accellerator when depresed is opening the throttle linkage all the way.
This would be the simplest thing to fix by simple adjuatment.

Cecil Longwisch.

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:25:59 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: headers - on or off?

Andy,
I seen that the engine has to be in the car.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Nathan,

Several month back I got my car up to 120 trying to catch up to another DeLorean that passed me.  I had to use the tachometer conversion table, being that the speedo on my DeLorean only goes to 85.   I was doing 4500 rpm in 5th.  I feel my car could have gone faster, but I slowed down because it was a saturday night and I didn't want to risk getting a ticket.  Whne your were driving were you going against the wind or with it?  That could ba a factor as to why you only got to 105.

-Chris

Nathan Sobieralski <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote: Hello everyone,

Today I was able to see what she is capable of. I floored it and got the car to accelerate to 105mph. However it would not go any faster, at least it seemed to top out around there on my GPS.

Is this a similar top speed to other Deloreans? Is there something that would prevent me from going faster that I should look into? (as if I need to go faster..)

Nathan

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:16:45 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Muffler Paint / AC Water

Two questions, I'm not a mechanical type so bear with the dumbness of
the questions.  I always appreciate the postings, read every one, have
learned alot.  I'm not happy with the way the muffler shows from
behind, want to paint it (I do know how to paint!!).  Will a high temp
paint stay on it?  Anything I need to be careful of?  Planned to paint
it black, figured it wouldn't get as dirty, but if I painted it silver
would it look just as bad in a few weeks as it does now?  The bigger
problem I have is an A/C water leak (again!!) under the dash on the
passenger side, carpet gets soaked.  In the last year have had the
evaporater and dryer replaced.  This leak is different though than the
past ones.  The black plastic box (behind the hose that runs to the
A/C vent on the door) has alot of condesation on the outside of it
after running the A/C.  Before I take it to the mechanic, I wanted to
get some idea of the possible causes.  Thanks again for all the help.

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:57:23 +0100 (BST)
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

In case any Northern Ireland police are watching this I MAY OR MAY NOT
have had mine at 120mph before.  It was a dry night with a good bit of
wind behind me so that sure helped and I was alone in the car with
about a quarter of a tank of gas.

I know of a car in Ireland that will beat that though....

Alistair.
VIN:- PILOT25
Belfast.

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:56:56 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

There was a somewhat sprited drive up the M1 (London to Leeds) last year
involving 5 DeLoreans that I may or may not have been involved in
(*cough*) and of the five, four had our stage 1 engine upgrade (or
variations thereof) with lowered front springs and one game guy with a
completely stock ride height and stock catted exhaust*. None of those
involved thought they had topped out and the sat nav in the lead car
recorded a top speed of 122mph

* always did go well, that car... now de-catted and lowered, together
with the majority of DeLoreans in the UK!

Martin

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:54:50 +0100 (BST)
From: <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Looking for connection in Relay Compartment

Hi there

The unit I got is from a company based in belfast called MAPLINS they
do lots of electrical components and some car electrics.

The unit only has 2 channels 88.1 and 89.1 both seem fine as they are
stations that are not used in Northern Ireland, I think the closest
station is 90.1fm....

You have to switch between the two on the unit itself but I have it
sitting on the door lock module so it is fairly easy to get at.  I have
it wired under the parcel shelf carpet and then behind the drivers seat
to the ipod which I will keep on my lap.

I have it wired directly to the battery at present but I am looking
for a better place to have the positive connection, dont want the
battery to go flat If I forget to turn it off, I dont even know if when
it is turned off if it uses power in any way as it does not make this
clear in the instruction manual.

Alistair.

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:54:58 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Starter issue

I am having an intermittent (sp?) problem with the starter on 6704,
sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, there is no pattern of
when it will work and when it won't.  It's not the battery, plenty of
jusice there.  Anyone got any ideas where to look for a problem here.

Thanks,

Bernie

VIN 4045 and 6704

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:13:53 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Hey James another owner asking Exhaust questions with your new kit!

I just had a big discussion with James Espey about this.

Apparently you and i are the only ones asking questions about
installation on this kit out of the over 100 sold.

Anybody else with similar problems?

Andy did you get the set of sheets that should have been included with
your exhaust - one each red and blue half-sheets and a third full size
yellow sheet?

Mark V

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 03:21:09 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Andy,

The headers come close to the frame on the Passenger side ( about 1 inch) They tuck up
under the top lip of the frame. So, I'm not to sure you can fit them in when installed. They
aren't that difficult to install with the engine in the car. I happen to have my set off the car
at moment, I have them out for jet-hot service, My set was one of the early ones that did
not get that treatment. And it wasn't very long before the Rust started to show.  Also FYI if
for some reason you ever have to remove the starter. You will have to at least loosen the
header to swing it out of the way and remove the oil filter.

Btw: What did you do the head to fix the exhaust stud? Weld and remachine.

Dennis

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 05:24:19 +0200
From: Markus Knöpfle <magrutter_at_dml_web.de>
Subject: BAE Turbo Documentation

Hi Folks,

I just bought a '81 DeLorean with the BAE Turbo Kit installed.
Unfortunally it seems like its not working.
Does anybody have the Dokumentation (Installation Instruction, Drawings) of the BAE Turbo Kit and can tell we what parts i need to remove it and check the engine without turbo?

TY

Markus Knoepfle
156 Sea Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 03:57:47 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

I've had my car in 5th gear, pulling about 4900 RPMs. So figure the
math on that one.

Of course, I was also running a "gasohol" mixture with a fair amount
of denatured alcohol poured into the fuel tank..

-Robert

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_...>

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 06:24:55 -0000
From: "delorean_lady" <delorean_lady_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hello from new member!

Just saying hello from Las Vegas!

Are there any other DeLorean owners in Nevada in this group?

I've posted some photos of my DeLorean in the group's photos section.

Hubby bought my 1982 DeLorean for me on eBay in 2004.  In November
2005, Ed Bernstein (owner of DeLorean One) picked up my DeLorean for
some work.  She was in pretty excellent ... but I felt a tad nervous
driving around Vegas (or anywhere for that matter) on three tires that
were from 1982!  So, Ed & his crew of DeLorean One replaced a lot of
old parts and I got her back just a few days ago.  I am very happy to
know I have Ed & DeLorean One to keep my wheels turning!  Ed says my
car is in the top 300 in the world - condition-wise.  That makes me
happy!!!

~~ DeLorean Lady

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:15:05 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: front licence plate holder

I didn't realize that John was not well.  I have been emailing
several times about a return, as well as called him, but have not
received a reply in weeks.  John, hope you feel better soon, and
look forward to spending more money on your great products!
Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Be patient. John has not been well. I'm sure he'll get to it as
soon as he can. I've been waiting too, but for other reasons. You
might try calling him.

>   Chris
>   06301
>
> Guillaume Morel <hoplos_at_dml_...> wrote:
>   Dear all,
>
> I'm looking for a wide (EU format) licence plate holder for my
front plate.
> I don't want to make holes in the car, so I found one which
prevents from
> this at SpecialTauto
> (
> http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/stainless-steel-
license-pla.jpg
> )
>
> I ordered it, asked for Paypal payment, got an email without the
freight
> costs... so I've asked for the total price and paypal account,
I've been

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:33:04 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Which gear were you in?   You won't reach the top speed in 5th, that's for
sure.  It's just too tall of a gear to deal with the wind resistance.  I've
had mine to 125 in 4th, spending most of my time in 3rd to get there, until
I ran out of road.

By the way, I hope you've overhauled the brakes and checked all the major
suspension and recall points!  Otherwise, you're dancin' with the devil!

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:39:47 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <bluemax86_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need front headlights for right hand drive car

Hi All,

I need to change the headlights on my DeLorean to conform to
Australian standards, which means the beams need to point to the left
as oppossed to the right. Also the park lights on the D need to be
white and not amber.

So do any of our European friends know where I can get some headlights
with the park light also as part of the headlight.

Thanks
Max

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:45:23 -0000
From: "bluemax86" <bluemax86_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Wiring schematic for binnacle

Hi All,

OK another question. I took my binnacle completely apart to replace
the trip meter "stick". Now that I have put everything back together
my fuel gauge doesn't work and some lights don't work (I also
converted to LED's). I have checked and re-checked everything but no
matter what I do I can't get everything to work again.

So, before I spend hours trying to trace all the connections, does
anyone have a wiring "diagram" or document showing what the pins on
the black and white plug housing do.

Thanks
Max

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:52:37 +0100
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Engine squeal

Hi everyone,

I have noticed a squealing noise from the engine bay during driving.  At
first I thought it was the belts slipping when water had got on them from
rain but yesterday I noticed it happened the odd time when I would have
thought the belts were dry.

My belt to the alternator is slightly looser than I would think it should be
(does anyone know how tight it should be ie- approx amount of movement if
you push it from top to bottom) so I had initially blamed that.

Does anyone else have an idea what it sound like as Im hoping its not the
water pump.

Cheers

Paul.
Belfast

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:31:00 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Would be good to test the top speed, but I only have the 85mph speedo and I dont really want to change it.

  What speed do you think a stock engine would do Martin? From experience or just in theory ;-) :-p

  Thomas
  Vin #4087

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:36:31 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: BAE Turbo Documentation

What is the vin on your Delorean?  I know that there are only a few  out
there.  I've never taken mine off or tried to modify it, perhaps  someone else
has.  I have the original installation manual and can make a  copy for you.  A
key element of the Turbo is to let it heat up prior to  taking off.  At least
this is what the original owner told me.

Roy
00893

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:42:35 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Engine squeal

Check the two small bearings on the A/C belt. Just lift the belt off
and spin them. Or take the A/C belt off and run the engine. If there
is any noise or roughness replace them. If you have not replaced them
in the last 3 years, they are probably bad. The muffler heat makes
them fail rather often. Cheap fix.

I've seen them mis-diagnosed as water pump and alternator noise.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 07:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

I've found that my stock D will consistently run at 120 mph unless
there is a strong headwind or the air filter needs replaced. I've found
that running as little as 1 mile on a dusty gravel road will cut 15 mph
off of the to speed (and of course require an immediate filter change).

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:12:42 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: RPM gauge stopped working - need advice to fix

My gauge is positioned at about 3000 rpms before I put the key in
the ignition. When I engage the key (before turning over), the gauge
reads at 1000, and stays there when I start the engine.  When I shut
off the car and pull the key, the needle returns back to 3000.  Any
ideas?  Still sound like a connection, or is it a bad gauge?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
<martin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> The first question is - does it drop to zero with the ignition on,
> engine off? It sounds like a dodgy connection or broken gauge. It
uses
> the same feed as the RPM relay, coil and idlespeed scu.
White/Slate wire

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:05:18 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: How do I remove the door marker light lens'?

I easily pried out the lense and swapped the misplaced red with the
amber on my driver's door.  Now both red's are properly positioned.
Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:58:03 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Markus,

In the files section, look for the folder titled "BAE turbo documentation"
It contains the original BAE manuyal. Also, I have some experience with the
BAE turbo, so email me if you have specific questions.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:03:56 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

When you say it's not working I'd take that to mean you're lacking power or
not getting any boost. It's been discussed here a zillion times but the
older turbos like the Rajay used in the BAE kits are susceptible to oil
coking in the bearing area. Newer turbos use water cooling and even space
age ceramic bearings but the Rajay floated the center shaft in oil routed
though the turbo center section from the engine. If the oil was too hot at
shut down it can turn to coke and block the oil passages preventing further
lubrication. That's why it's recommended to allow the engine to idle for a
few minutes before shutting down, especially after running hard. My guess
from your limited description would be the turbo is no longer spinning and
needs a rebuild. The car probably lacks power because the mechanical advance
in the ignition distributor has been modified to limit advance and the turbo
isn't providing any boost. The advance modification was done to prevent
pre-ignition,  an unfortunate by-product of turbocharging. There are several
places around the country that can rebuild turbos. Turbonetics in California
is one good source and I believe they now own the Rajay name. If you look
for local rebuilders look for diesel repair shops. Almost every large diesel
engine used in trucks and motorhomes is turbocharged and most will rebuild
turbochargers.

Bruce Benson

-----