From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:55 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3190

1. Re: Front end alignment specs
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

2. Paint for Fascias
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: "John" <silversurfer_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Re: Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

5. Angle Drive Nut
From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

6. Interesting new Gull-Wing...
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

7. Interesting new Gull-Wing...
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

8. Re: Paint for Fascias
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

9. Re: Front end alignment specs
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:05:09 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Front end alignment specs

I found the Delorean bulletin NUMBER ST-34-1/82.  I hope this is the latest.  I forwarded it to the alignment shop.  I also cautioned them about the TAB shims (not to use soft aftermarket shims), and hinted at not touching them unless the alignment is off.

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 06:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Paint for Fascias

I have my fascias off the car and they are ready to go to the paint shop at noon
  I have seached for the paint code and have come up with a PPG paint code of
  DBC33584
  and a clear of DCU2001
  I need to double check to see if this is correct before I take it to the paint shop.

  Thanks
  Jamie Hamin
  Ft.Walton Beach, Fl.
  Vin# 2606
  Vin# 5677

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:07:47 -0000
From: "John" <silversurfer_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Early production prototype rear fascia

I think they need to update the article:

"John DeLorean was acquitted of all charges stemming from the collapse of the DeLorean Motor Company, and is now retired and living in New Jersey."

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_...>

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:02:38 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Early production prototype rear fascia

It is hard to make out in that picture. Would a bumper that extended down furthur (hiding sump) not increase wind noise and drag?

  Thomas
  Vin #4087

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:39:19 -0700
From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Angle Drive Nut

Tom,

I had to go to Sears to find a wrench that would work, but I did.  Good luck.

Craig

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:19:58 -0400
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>
Subject: Interesting new Gull-Wing...

The Toyota Sera.... finally, a new Japanese car that is not a model of
boredom and mediocrity in their design.  I kinda like it & the
wrap-around glass window/roof.

http://japanoid.com/cardata.php?carNo=29

- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:23:36 -0400
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

Correction: not new, my mistake.  Japanese market only, made 1990-1994.
Few exports - I think there are only about five in Canada.  Any make it
to the USA?  Never heard of this car....  Anybody else?
- ed

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S
1990 Coupe Quattro 20V

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:32:05 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Paint for Fascias

Jamie,

There is also a Ditzler automotive paint code: Silver Poly # DAU 33584. The
early cars had clear coat applied over the silver but at some point it was
dropped and only the silver poly was used. The parts book doesn't give the
vin # when it was changed so I don't know if your car would have clear coat
or not. Many owners have done the clear coat regardless of the vin # because
they liked it. Hope this helps.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:13:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You can go by this bulletin. Be aware that before ANY alignment
certain things should be checked. This includes:
Tire pressures, tire condition, and be balanced on a dynamic balancer
All bushings
A visual check for any worn, bent, damaged parts
Leaking, loose, worn shocks
Replace any torn dust seals on the tie rod ends and ball joints
Lube the front end
A road test before AND after to find any problems and assure they are
corrected.
The fuel tank should be 1/2 full and any junk in the car should be
removed (stuff in the luggage compartment)
If the car was lowered the shop will have to fudge some of the specs.
Each technician will have his way of doing this. You will know how
well he did by the way the car handles and how the tires wear. The car
should not tend to drift in either direction, the steering wheel
should be centered when going straight ahead, there should be no play
or looseness and the car should not tend to pull on acceleration or
braking. There should also be no pulsation or vibration in the
steering wheel. If they do have to adjust the shims it is very
important that the TAB's are checked to see if they are bent or
stretched (and then replaced) and that they are retorqued accurately.

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:36:06 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please

Chris,

On 4/5/06, Chris Hawes <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I see no need with cutting as the upper AND lower speedo cables meet with
> the lambda counter? near the pedal box and this would be the perfect
> junction point.
>
> I am curious has anyone out there already fitted a 'pulse' solution and if
> so what is the thread size for the connection point to where the transducer
> would mount?  Also what is the width size of the DeLorean throttle cable.
> If anyone knows what car they are from it would help.

For what it's worth, I did a fair amount of research into this when
installing my cruise control system. I didn't want to go with the
"magnets on the driveshaft" to generate the pulse so I looked into a
speedo-cable mounted hall-effect sensor.

What I found is that (a) these things are damned expensive, and (b)
nobody seems to have a nice in-line one that would work well, except
one person: DMC Garden Grove. They will sell you a new speedo cable
with the pulse unit built into it.

Unfortunately, it was hideously expensive. I want to say they quoted
me $300-$400 for this piece. I remember being simply floored by the
price and immediately knowing there was no way in hell I was paying
even half their asking price. So I went with the "magnets on the
driveshaft" deal. It was actually quite easy to install and seems to
work just fine...

If you do happen to find a reasonable source for this - the unit is
typically called a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) so that may assist in
your searching - please let us know. If I could pick one up for under
$50 I'd ditch the magnets on my cruise control system and use this
instead.

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:02:59 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Actually no,
     It tends to smooth out the airflow under the car and air is more
uniformly swept under leaving less turbulence in the engine
compartment and the car's wake.  I have been experimenting with a
similar valance in which the exhaust tips protrude through, and it is
also slotted on either side of the tips for cosmetic purposes.  Not
only do I like the look of the car better, but aerodynamically it
appears to be helping because I have been consistently getting better
mileage since installing the prototype.  I've not noticed any
difference in my gauges but a test with a simple digital thermometer
showed engine bay temperatures decrease over 10 degrees at speed.  I
also haven't noticed any increase or decrease in wind noise.

It is difficult to make out in this picture at speed but if you
lighten it....?:
http://az-d.org/v-web/gallery/vegas/LVnOurWayMatt

This one is a bit better:
http://az-d.org/v-web/gallery/vegas/LVGreenValleyRanch