From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 7:31 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3191

1. Re: VIN#04421 Lives Again and Rough Idle - Vacuum Leak
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Re: top speed
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. Re: top speed
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. green/white wire under dash
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

5. Good PO experience!
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Interesting new Gull-Wing...
From: "delorean3691" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

7. Re: Interesting new Gull-Wing...
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

8. Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Pole Cam
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

11. Re: Good PO experience!
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Early production prototype rear fascia
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: top speed
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: green/white wire under dash
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:00:56 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: VIN#04421 Lives Again and Rough Idle - Vacuum Leak

I did a long post last year, (I think), on vacuum leaks.  I concur with your diagnosis.  An easy and fairly safe method of tracking down air leaks is with a spray can of WD-40.  With the engine running, squirt the oil on or near the place that might be leaking.  If the idle picks up and smoothes out for a second, you've found one.  WD-40 is flammable but not as volitile as gasoline.  I've used carb cleaner before, but processing that thru the engine sends hydrocloric acid vapor out the exhaust.  Usual suspects are: intake manifold, injector seals, w-pipe gaskets, and especially the idle tube and associated piping.  You can spray WD around pretty liberally without hurting anything, but keep enough control to know where you were pointing when the engine note changed.  Of course, it will always change if you squirt it down the intake, so accuracy and restraint will pay off.
Warren at DMC

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:03:19 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: top speed

Andy's car is here in Houston being refurbished.  When he gets it back, it will go faster than a 'lousy 110', I guarantee.
Warren at DMC
ps-Andy, do you know Bill Elliot?

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 01:02:59 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

spaceace3113 wrote:

>  Martin, out of curiousity what makes you say the GTA is more
>streamlined aerodynamically? I'm kinda under the impressison the
>Delorean is more streamlined than tha Alpine., Not arguing,just
>asking. with better gearing the Delorean should be able to reach 140
>in my opinion of course.

That's the way it was designed - the GTA was designed in a wind-tunnel,
I believe.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/gta.jpeg

It's mainly the nose that looks considerably different and more slippery

http://www.emagineproductions.co.uk/delorean/Acecafe/pages/Ace%201_jpg.htm
(the red one is a LeMans special edition GTA turbo)

http://www.emagineproductions.co.uk/delorean/Acecafe/pages/Ace%203_jpg.htm
(early one in foreground)

The GTA's were all parked with their rear wheels up a small bank which
is why they look so much lower than the DeLoreans! In reality, they ride
at a very similar height.

4th and 5th ratios are as follows

DeLorean/NA GTA:    1.04    0.82
GTA Turbo:    0.96    0.76

Hope this answers your question

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:34:11 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: green/white wire under dash

Hi all

This is a follow-up to the post on the fm modulator.

I bought a better ipod only one that I am going to place behind the dash.

I am looking for a 12v feed that only works when the key is turned in the ignition as I need to
be sure it is off and not draining the battery when the key is out.

I saw in other posts that there is a green/white striped wire that runs into the ignition cover
under the steering wheel that is only powered when the ignition is on.. is this true??  I can
easily splice into this wire and that should give me the power I need.

Any other advice or even a better wire to splice into would be great.

Alistair McCann
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 01:30:36 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Good PO experience!

Hello everyone,

I was so surprised by this I have to share it.

When I purchased my car it came with a registration slip from 1987.
I googled the name a got a phone number. Should I call???....

I did and my fears about 2277s history have all gone away! The man
who owned it was more than happy to speak with me about the car. He
confirmed the mileage for me and we spoke about the various things
that were (and are still) wrong with the car. Things like the seats,
dash, and binnacle all were cracked even in 87. Goes to show you
can't really tell milage by a cars interior. I was worried sick that
my car had 134,000 or 234,000 miles instead of 34,000. Turns out all
my history checks out!

Nathan

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 01:52:56 -0000
From: "delorean3691" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting new Gull-Wing...

I've heard of them, I've always wanted one of those too. I tried to find information about
them a while ago and I don't think there are any in the U.S. There's another gullwing car
from Japan called the Mitsubishi Starion. Only 5 were made with gullwing doors and they
are in Japan. Here's a link: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.stacey1/gullwing.html

Tiffany
Vin#3691

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:01:47 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

[Moderator Note:  Further messages on this topic should be taken elsewhere, unless they relate somehow to the DeLorean.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

yes

a fair few in the UK (as were both RHD) and import here is easy.

parts are also ok

one of the UK owners club has one.

stereo system is great.

off topic but for rare cars have a search for Figaro.

Japanese cult car only 20 000 production (done as a competition by
nissan) all auto, turbo, 1 litre, all soft top, 4 colours only, all
leather, all look sixties UK car!.

Steve

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:42:32 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Early production prototype rear fascia

Not sure, it doesn't seem to be that low. The new Vette's have quite
the rear bumper.

Someone mentioned that this design may have harnessed heat from the
motor. All speculation at this point. I just think it looks great.
Thanks for the note.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_...> wrote:

> It is hard to make out in that picture. Would a bumper that
extended down furthur (hiding sump) not increase wind noise and drag?

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:53:25 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Interesting work. Nice wheels by the way. Love em.
It is interesting that you note the temperature change in the motor
compartment. The prototype you designed looks quite a bit larger and
thicker than the one I was pointing too; which makes me wonder if
heat really was a defining issue.
Thanks for adding your info.

Byron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Actually no,
>      It tends to smooth out the airflow under the car and air is
more
> uniformly swept under leaving less turbulence in the engine
> compartment and the car's wake.  I have been experimenting with a
> similar valance in which the exhaust tips protrude through, and it
is
> also slotted on either side of the tips for cosmetic purposes.  Not
> only do I like the look of the car better, but aerodynamically it
> appears to be helping because I have been consistently getting
better
> mileage since installing the prototype.  I've not noticed any
> difference in my gauges but a test with a simple digital
thermometer
> showed engine bay temperatures decrease over 10 degrees at speed.
> also haven't noticed any increase or decrease in wind noise.
>
> It is difficult to make out in this picture at speed but if you
> lighten it....?:
> http://az-d.org/v-web/gallery/vegas/LVnOurWayMatt
>
> This one is a bit better:
> http://az-d.org/v-web/gallery/vegas/LVGreenValleyRanch
>
> Matt
> VIN 16816
> The Arizona DeLorean Club  www.az-d.org
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_> wrote:

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 03:54:04 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Pole Cam

http://www.emagineproductions.co.uk/delorean/index.htm

Great Delorean footage, check it out!
Byron

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 05:42:58 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Good PO experience!

Glad to hear it.  eBay (and other) scams aside, there are certainly
many PO's that tell the truth.  I send my PO an email about every
three months, rethanking him for the work he put into my D and for
having been an honest seller who provided me with a car which
continues to bring much pleasure.  I just got my one-year renewal
notice from DMV in the mail and my car is to the point where it is
just humming along, week after week.

I would add that I found the car advertised in the For Sale section
of the DML and that I took the "$22,000 DeLorean" route up-front.
Other sources, sellers and cars?  It's a gamble, of course.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski"

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:45:56 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

No Kidding.
I am not sure that link exists anymore on the site. I found it
accidentally by frantically typing keywords in search of a good
close up of the rear lower accent spoiler. That link was in outer
space somewhere.
Byron

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 03:39:31 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Does anybody know how fast a Legend twin turbo, Turbo Manifold Co.
twin turbo, single turbo kits, DMCH Stage 1, stage 2 or the 300HP
single turbo we have all heard rumors about; but can now read about by
clicking the link below? http://www.delorean.co.uk/turbocharging.html
 I would love to hear the descriptions of owner's tests against a
wristwatch 1/4 mile and top speed output.
This will put some closure to the original motor discussion. Any one
wanting more boost can get it for a price. The original motor, be as
it may, is reliable and does the speed limit perfectly.
Competing sports cars during the Delorean development and
manufacturing phase, were not as fast or much faster, most shared
similar if not less HP. Consider the Datsun 280Z, or the 80, 81
Corvette, even the 80,81Ferrari 308 had a top speed of 145-155
something like that. Emissions killed it for everyone. I would feel
safer holding the pedal to the floor in a DeLorean than a Datsun 280Z
or early 80's vette, Porsche and BMW any day. Put extra power in those
cars and they are death machines. It seems you can increase lots of
power in the D. I was told the stock transmission is built to
withstand 300HP. With better stopping power, I would have no problem
driving a Delorean 170MPH. how safe would you feel with comparable
upgrades to any of the competing cars of that era? The Delorean to me
keeps getting better. I get the feeling the car had poor reviews
because of lucrative scandals with editors of car magazines in those
days. The car drove beautifully and they knew it. Today when editors
drive the car, it's a much different attitude in a positive way. There
is no pressure from anyone anywhere to speak untruthful.
I personally believe there would be less DeLorean today for us to
enjoy if they made them racers. Imagine how many lives, tickets and
repair bills the DeLorean has saved.
John DeLorean had it right.

BDC

http://www.delorean.co.uk/turbocharging.html
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_...>

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:40:22 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: green/white wire under dash

What ever wire you use, why not simply test it with a mutimeter
rather than second guessing what it does :) ??

Personally i would use the switched live going to the radio you can
see its fed by one of the two fuses behind the centre console. That
way you know its fed on the audio circuit.

Put an inline fuse in whereever you pick it up from matey

Kind Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_...>