From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:28 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3192

1. Re: top speed
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. Re: green/white wire under dash
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

3. Re: Good PO experience!
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. DCS and Millennium lineup
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

5. How to wire your ipod... {was green white wire}
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

6. Re: Re: green/white wire under dash
From: Alistair McCann <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

7. Re: top speed
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Re: Re: green/white wire under dash
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Manual tranny leaking at drain plug
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Good PO experience!
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Re: Interesting new Gull-Wing...
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

13. Sarasota, Florida
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:33:24 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: top speed

170mph in a DeLorean with a stock suspension and a stock frame is a pretty risky proposition in my opinion.  The DeLorean frame is not all that stiff, and a flexible frame at those kind of speeds leads to unpredictable handling.  If you were on a deserted airstrip somewhere with no turns and lots of room to slow down, 170 might not feel too bad.

-------------- Original message from "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:37:48 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: green/white wire under dash

If the wire you're thinking of doesn't work for you, and you have a
5-speed, there ought to be a 12v feed (green/white also) underneath
the shift boot area that optionally would go to an auto trans car.
Mine was just sitting under there with the bulb socket already clipped
off.  Be sure to put some kind of fuse in there though, I nuked my
first FM transmitter that way after just one day.  But it was really
cool for that day lol.  Email me off list if you want to see how I
arranged mine with a switch so I can change channels.  Now that I've
got two good working rear speakers I'm thinking of trying it again.

-John

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is a follow-up to the post on the fm modulator.
>
> I bought a better ipod only one that I am going to place behind the
dash.

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:36:27 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Good PO experience!

I also purchased mine from the DML.

Nathan
2277
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Glad to hear it.  eBay (and other) scams aside, there are
certainly
> many PO's that tell the truth.  I send my PO an email about every
> three months, rethanking him for the work he put into my D and for
> having been an honest seller who provided me with a car which
> continues to bring much pleasure.  I just got my one-year renewal
> notice from DMV in the mail and my car is to the point where it is
> just humming along, week after week.
>
> I would add that I found the car advertised in the For Sale
section
> of the DML and that I took the "$22,000 DeLorean" route up-front.
> Other sources, sellers and cars?  It's a gamble, of course.
>
> Marv
> #10820
> AZ-D
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski"
> <valleyrat12_at_dml_> wrote:
> >

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I was so surprised by this I have to share it.
> >
> > When I purchased my car it came with a registration slip from
1987.
> > I googled the name a got a phone number. Should I call???....
> >
> > I did and my fears about 2277s history have all gone away! The
man
> > who owned it was more than happy to speak with me about the car.
He

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:21:55 -0700
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: DCS and Millennium lineup

The lineup of competitors for the concours at the upcoming DCS looks
quite impressive, and I think this round will be something to be
remembered. At the last count I received, we have 5 competitors signed
up with exceptional cars to showcase. I think we can still squeeze in
one more competitor and still be able to keep things running smoothly
and efficiently. If you have been procrastinating for the concours
signup, don't end up like the folks that procrastinated for hotel rooms
and find yourself in a bind.

Like last time (at the DMCH Open House), we'll be judging operating
controls the day before the rest of the judging. The controls will be
judged prior to placing the cars in the convention center since we can't
operate the cars inside the venue. This will also give competitors a
chance to take care of some of the common problems with the operating
controls judging such as getting the windshield washer overspray wiped
off the cars.

There are a couple minor updates to the judging handbook that will be
finalized in short order, and those preparing their cars now can
continue to use last year's handbook until the updated ones are
published this month. The manual is updated each year to reflect the
latest information that has been researched in the DMC archives and to
address issues and discrepancies that might be encountered at each
event. With the continual refinement, I expect the program to only get
better each time.

The countdown to DCS and the concours continues...

            Knut

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:33:31 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: How to wire your ipod... {was green white wire}

It should be very easy to find the wire coming off the relay behind the
drivers seat that sends power to the automatic antenna.  Your using an
FM modulator to get the audio into the stereo, so there is a wire that
will go hot whenever you turn on your radio.

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:37:45 +0100
From: Alistair McCann <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: green/white wire under dash

Hi again

I have taken out the radio and can see the two fused wires...  I can
see that the green/white wire connects to the radio through the
orange wire on the radio connector.

I take it that this is the wire I splice into to get the 12v feed
when the ignition is on???  I have looked at the wiring diagram and
it appears to me that the red wire is constant 12v, orange is
12v acc?? and black is earth.  The 12v constant is for the clock and
station preset so that must mean that the orange is the main power
feed that only feeds 12v when the ignition is on... am I right??

Oh, Mike I dont really have a clue how to use a multimeter!!  It has
about 100 functions the one I have and I can never get any of them to
give me a reading.....

Alistair.

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:40:07 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Byron

It's interesting that you ask these questions and then link to Stuart's
page because Stuart has one of our Stage II's (change of ignition
distributor, bin of lambda system, free-flow exhaust, higher compression
pistons and high lift cams). He is also a professional cameraman and is
planning on taking his car for a run with the camera rolling and a GPS
so he can verify the GPS against the time code on the recording (don't
understand in detail how this works!)

If I remember correctly the normally aspirated GTA has a top speed of
140+, and it has the same gear ratios as the DeLorean but with slightly
smaller back tyres. It has a carb'd high compression 2.8 odd-fire and
knocks out 160hp according to the book.

My 300hp project is coming along very slowly because it's all down to my
time and my money, and customers will insist on wanting their DeLoreans
worked on :-) I -am- doing a proper twin-turbo on #2727 which came with
an Island setup, and I happen to have a Renault 25 turbo engine from
which I've already recycled the block (go back a week or so and you can
read all about it). I have two donor low compression 3 litre engines for
my project, it's just a matter of buying the bits. One silver lining in
the delay is that Link have come out with a new generation ECU which
looks to be, as we say over here, the dog's bollocks. In the Alpine
camp, there's a guy who bought a brand new crate bottom end from a
Safrane BiTurbo to go in his GTA. He has spared no expense and "will be
disappointed with less than 350hp". That is also a work-in-progress at
the moment.

> I would feel
>safer holding the pedal to the floor in a DeLorean than a Datsun 280Z
>or early 80's vette, Porsche and BMW any day. Put extra power in those
>cars and they are death machines. It seems you can increase lots of
>power in the D. I was told the stock transmission is built to
>withstand 300HP. With better stopping power, I would have no problem
>driving a Delorean 170MPH. how safe would you feel with comparable
>upgrades to any of the competing cars of that era?

Well, my business partner Dan might like to tell you about his former
Esprit one day. A Giugiaro body on an S4 Chassis with a Lotus works (?)
turbo engine knocking out well over 300bhp (which is slightly more than
300 american hp). As for the gearbox, our expert told me, in as many
words "they will handle up to about 300, more than 350 and you WILL
break something". Personally I believe that with the shorter 4th an 5th
we have, we're likely to snap input shaft couplers (but thanks to Toby
that problem goes away) and the next weakest link is probably the
driveshafts. Esprit ones are somewhat fatter.

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:45:53 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

In addition to Mike's comments, all the "LGW wires (light freen & white)
are ignition fed sources but beware of drawing too much current or you
might start popping fuses you don't expect.

Martin

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:35:15 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Manual tranny leaking at drain plug

Hello everyone,

My drain plug on my tranny is leaking since I changed my manual tranny
oil, or at least I hrecently noticed it is leaking.  I am certain it
is coming from the plug since I got under there and watched it pool
there. I tried Teflon tape but it still leaks, I am afraid to torque
down on it anymore for fear of stripping it. There is about 1/8th inch
of drain plug threads protruding from the case. The leak leaves a
fairly large (2-4") spot in my garage. Any suggestions?

Nathan

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:23:25 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

I bought my first one from ebay (6704), without even looking at it.
Bad move on my part, but a good car none the less.  With a little
research I found this group, and Dave S. and Rich W. who made the car
run again.  The description on ebay was a little over the top.  But I
feel I got a good deal.

My second car was bought off the DML, I took about a month emailing
and calling back and forth with the owner, he took the pics I wanted,
and I finally made an offer, which was accepted.  Black Beauty was
mine.  Now she is in Houston getting all kinds of work done to her.  I
can't wait for the DCS, she will be there.

I just wish I could bring both but I can't.

Bernie

VIN 6704 and 4045

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:53:12 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Interesting new Gull-Wing...

Since you brought up the Mitsubishi Starion - a car I once owned and
loved... it's a good time to repost an old page I created comparing
the Starion (built between 1983 and 1998) and the Delorean:

http://www.eskin.net/open/starion.html

Alot of similarities... I have to think the Japanese designers in the
early 80's pulled at least a tiny bit from the Delorean styling.

-Hank

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:07:48 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fixed Sat Nav - help please

[Moderator Note: Unless someone has some DeLorean-related content to add, the DR / GPS discussion belongs somewhere else.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator personally interested in the topic but doing my job]

Just my opinion (not that you asked), but I find that the times I've
actually needed dead reckoning when GPS alone wasn't available were
VERY few and far between.  My GPS works in all weather and atmospheric
conditions.  Unless you're driving all the time in cities with tall
buildings, or in parking garages, you might want to compute a
cost/benefit analysis for DR.  It's really not needed these days for
99.9% of my driving.

-Hank

Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 03:12:22 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Sarasota, Florida

OK, who are you?  Huh?  Come on, spill it, I know you're out there :)
I thought I was the only one that drove a Delorean in Sarasota.  I
know of two others in town, neither really driven.  But people have
been calling me alot recently, saw "me" broken down on Bee Ridge (of
course I was 50 miles away at the time), saw "me" near my subdivision
this afternoon (again, not me).  Sounds like you live pretty close.
Give me a shout off line, maybe we can get together and compare tow
truck stories.