From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 7:39 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3201

1. Re: Oil plug
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Oil plug
From: "deloreandmc81" <shelbycobra_at_dml_earthlink.net>

3. Re: Mechanic in Florida
From: DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Thermal properties of the overflow bottle???
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. seat belt tension
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

7. Re: Oil plug
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>

8. running rough after tune-up
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>

9. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

10. Re: Fuel Accumulator
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

12. Re: running rough after tune-up
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: A DeLorean on The Apprentice?
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Shipping a Delorean to Europe
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

16. Re: Re: Oil plug
From: ". ." <klo_at_dml_cidio.net>

17. Re: A DeLorean on The Apprentice?
From: "Ken Baker" <kenbaker1265_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: seat belt tension
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

19. Re: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. RE: Re: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:41:39 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil plug

Corey -

It is an 8mm square key stock hole.  There is a snap on socket for it,  or you can get someone to weld up something for you.  I tried to make one  this winter but it didn't work. The problem was, I was able to find key stock  that fit ok, but in order for it to be soft enough to bend into a 90 deg angle,  it was also soft that it bent as I tried to get the plug out.  So I just  bought the right tool for the job. PJ Grady has it.

Andy

In a message dated 4/12/2006 9:15:14 A.M. Central Standard Time,
coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

What  kind and size of wrench is it that is used to remove the oil plug?  I
know it is an
odd male ended wrench, but I don't have one of these.   What size should I
look for at
the store?  Also, does anyone know of  a standard everyday plug that fits the
car so in
the future when I have to  change the oil I don't have to spend an hour
looking for that
damn odd  male ended wrench?

Corey
2423

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 02:34:51 -0000
From: "deloreandmc81" <shelbycobra_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Hey Corey you need a 8mm attachment for the plug.  It seemed like I
looked every for the little guy, then my dad told me to try Snap-On
Tools.  So they are the only place I have been able to find one so far
and they are around $13 for it.  So I'd give them a try I know they
can help you out.  Good Luck!!

James Andrew Dille
6408

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:51:54 -0400
From: DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Mechanic in Florida

To all,

  If anyone in the southeastern US was wondering, We at DMC (Florida)
are busy, but no job is too small or too large for us. Please don't
ever feel that your bothering us or that your needs are unimportant. We
would be nothing without our customers.

 Sincerely,
 Tony Ierardi
 President
 DMC (Florida)
 877-DELOREAN
 www.dmcflorida.com

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:23:48 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Accumulator

Just did one tonight as a matter of fact (WED)
I use a shorty 17 mm and a flat bar to get behind it to break the one
fitting.
if the nut is in the right position you can use a regular 17 mm wrench but
odds are you are screwed.  This is about the 15th one I have done and  only one
has not cooperated.

We go this one out in about a half hour once we found all the tools and
jacked it up high enough.

Funny part is we both thought we had an extra accumulator and we did not so
we had to get one.

Warrens method is right on except one thing the fittings do not always
cooperate in coming apart after the nut is off.

A little tender loving care and a big hammer so to speak may be  required

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 03:37:08 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Thermal properties of the overflow bottle???

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you know how the water bottle acts at
operating temperature. Does it expand considerably? I am working on a
mod for the stock bottle that would render it indestructible (pending
tests) even at very high temps and at a very low cost. Also if you all
could contribute your observations of the overflow bottles most common
failure modes that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Nathan

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:44:24 +0100
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: seat belt tension

Hi all,

I am looking to deal with my slack drivers seat belt once the skins are
removed for a speaker upgrade.  The passenger side retracts okay, but the
drivers side is weak at best.

Does anyone know or have experience fitting an OEM 100701/2 seat belt
mechanism from a vendor, I am concerned because the unused ones are 25 years
old and wonder if they will become weak quickly due to age.

Has anyone upgraded the mechanism with new bits so that it retracts properly
like new and stays than way?

Thanks

Chris H.
Vin 5255 from Arizona

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:36:05 -0000
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>

Hi, Corey and the List.

Take your time machine and go back to April 6, 2001 or just do the
search thing and type in Message # 16298 and click GO and this will
answer your drain plug removal tool question.

Or, do what I did and buy a external 17mm hex head drain plug from
John Hervey at

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/hardware.html

I want one of everything on his web site but I don't have the cash.

Mark R. Vanyo
VIN # 02261 since Feb. 2001.

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:05:01 -0000
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: running rough after tune-up

i just recently did a tune-up on my D - had the fuel injectors
cleaned, replaced vaccuum hoses, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor,
seals, washers, gaskets, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, main
fuel line, etc.  when i first started it up it ran okay, but after it
would warm up i noticed the idle was really erratic.  it would dip
down to approx 600rpm, then shoot up to 1250 or so.  it seems like the
engine is on the verge of stalling when that happens.  at this time it
still drove okay, just the idle was bad.  now, the problem is worse.
in just 2 days time without driving it a whole lot, it has NO
acceleration.  there is a LOT of hesitation and its basically
undrivable because of how slowly i accelerate.

i've tried checking for vaccuum leaks with an incense stick with no
luck - i also tried the propane tank trick that was suggested.  i
haven't been able to find a vaccuum leak, but who knows i might be
missing something.  it seems to me like something may have been shaken
loose since it has progressively gotten worse?

any advice for what to check would be much appreciated.

thanks,
bill

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:39:37 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

I just changed my accumulator a couple of weeks ago, and it was a
royal pain!  I also had the problem of trying to fit and get
leverage on that 17 mm nut on the accumulator (from the hard line)
next to the 19mm nut.  I ground down one side of the stubby wrench
so that the wrench would fit between the 17 and 19 mm nuts.  It did
fit, but I could still not get leverage to loosen the nut.

What I did next is probably not recommended, but I did it anyway.
To loosen the stubborn 17 mm nut, I took a flat bladed long
screwdriver and a hammer, and tapped the edge of the nut with the
screwdriver to loosen it.  Once the frozen nut broke free, then my
ground-down stubby wrench worked fine to finish disconnecting it.  I
then dropped it out of the frame and easily removed the rest of the
connections.

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
<martin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Once you've cracked off the 17mm fitting that joins the filter
hard line
> to the elbow, you can undo the bracket and drop the accumulator
down.
> It's a bit fiddly but the hose clip on the return line end can now
be
> undone and the accumulator drops through the hole enabling you to
undo
> the high pressure fitting. I've never found stubbys of any use in
this
> job, although a 17mm crowsfoot is invaluable to undo the high
pressure
> hose off the hard line (NB the union MUST be held from the top by
> colleague)
>
> Martin

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:40:38 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

<martin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Once you've cracked off the 17mm fitting that joins the filter
hard line
> to the elbow, you can undo the bracket and drop the accumulator
down.
> It's a bit fiddly but the hose clip on the return line end can now
be
> undone and the accumulator drops through the hole enabling you to
undo
> the high pressure fitting. I've never found stubbys of any use in
this
> job, although a 17mm crowsfoot is invaluable to undo the high
pressure
> hose off the hard line (NB the union MUST be held from the top by
> colleague)
>
> Martin
>
> usndmc wrote:
>
> >I'm having severe difficulties removing the fuel accumulator (it
is
> >the original). I have a set of stubby wrenches, but the 17mm nut
> >connecting the rigid fuel filter line and the 19mm nut on the
fuel
> >pump line are too close together and at such angles as to not
really
> >allow fitting the wrench on the 17mm to loosen it. The only angle
at
> >which it will fit on puts the end of the wrench about 1/4" from
the
> >frame wall, and the trying to loosen it using that 1/4" gap to
turn
> >only results in the accumulator rotating in its mount until the
> >wrench is against the frame (even though the 4 bolts holding the
> >clamp are fully tightened). I have soaked everything in
penetrating

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:09:39 +0100
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting

Hi guys,

I have just bought the Wing a Loft kit with the car alarm and hoping to fit
it this weekend.

Are there any particular things to bear in mind (hints and tips) to make
life easier?

Cheers.

Paul J
Belfast

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:49:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: running rough after tune-up

Check out the Lambda system. Make sure it is running. You may have to
lean the mixture to get it to run right. Too often instead of
replacing parts someone will figure they can make it run better by
twiddling (I don't call it "adjusting") things. If the mixture is too
rich the Lambda will hardly run at all trying to lean the mixture. If
the Lambda is dead it can have these symptoms. If the Lambda is not
running either the relay is bad or the O2 sensor is contaminated. Most
common problems. Also make sure the little wire on the right side of
the manifold toward the front of the motor is connected to the
manifold (grounded) and it is still plugged in. This can also be the
CPR and/or vacuum leaks. Besides looking for leaks make sure all the
hoses are hooked up correctly. Check the mechanical AND vacuum advance
too. Make sure all the ignition wires are snapped tightly onto the
sprak plugs.

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:44:48 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: A DeLorean on The Apprentice?

Judging from the show previews, the donald was driving one of the new
Mercedes SLR Mclaren (http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=SLR)
that has funky doors, so someone probably got confused (I would call
then buttefly doors though, but similar to gullwings). . .it is a rather
cool car, but for my money I will stick to the D

Michael

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:05:11 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Shipping a Delorean to Europe

www.tgal.us is who we use

Martin
DMC Ltd

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:28:47 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting

Paul - There are three bits of advice that I can give you on this.
(1) Actually *read* the instructions from start to finish.  (2) Take
your time as you step through the installation process in the general
order that the instructions say to do things.  (3) Have the
recommended tools handy - test light, multimeter, crimper, etc.  If
you have any questions or challenges with the installation, check in
with us and we will get you on your way.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:15:01 -0600
From: ". ." <klo_at_dml_cidio.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Oil plug

Hi everyone:

Therre are drain plugs adapters from all the vendors.  I got one from Rob in the very beginning of my ownership of my DeLorean.  The problem for me was there is very little room
between the drain plug and the frame when using the adapter attached to a ratchet.

What I did was I got a 'cheap' 3/8" ratchet and and carefully ground it down to the required size as to fit the female drain plug.  Since it is a squared, it was very easy to grind the
ratchet symmetrically on a grinding wheel.  BTW, when you do grind the ratchet, do expect the ball bearing and the spring to fall out, beside you won't need that feature anymore.
Yes, you will destroy the ratchet, but the ability to remove and to tighten the drain plug in a such close quarter with this modified tool is a great luxury and I have used mine for two
to three times a year for oil changes for the last ten years.

Kayo Ong
#5508  (Ten years of ownership this month)
Lic 9D NY

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:08:48 -0700
From: "Ken Baker" <kenbaker1265_at_dml_msn.com>

It was a mistake, Donald was driving a Silver Mercedes SLR. It would have been great if he had a Delorean, but since JZD didn't pay his rental in Trump Plaza ontime, I cant imagine Trump would be endorsing his produce weather he is dead or alive.

Best Regards,

Ken Baker
Sales Executive
Rolls-Royce/Bentley Fort Lauderdale
561-866-1601
www.bentleyfortlauderdale.com<http://www.bentleyfortlauderdale.com/>
  I missed the episode but saw the following article online:

  http://www.ew.com/ew/aol/article/latest/0,11892,3113%7C113420,00.html<http://www.ew.com/ew/aol/article/latest/0,11892,3113|113420,00.html>

  Anyone see this?  I talked to someone else who saw an episode this
  week and they said they saw a silver Mercedes, but no DeLorean.

  Just curious if the Donald bought a DeLorean after he bought the
  Bedminster Estate.  My guess is they made a typo in the article.

  -Patrick C.

  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:03:34 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: seat belt tension

Your seat belt probably just has dirt in the mechanism. Try removing it and
unwind the belt then give it some WD40 inside and work it around. After I
did mine it worked like it should.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:13:58 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Read the Manual. All the way thru before you start.

I've done two of them, the only other suggestion is to be sure you
have sharp drill bits.

Also - use the wiring alternative that doesn't involve removing the t-
panel. That works fine.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:38:19 +0100
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Re: Wings a Loft - Advice on fitting

Thanks for the advice so far,

I intend to give the instructions a good read before starting.

One other thing Im just thinking is that I currently have a kill switch on
the car that I use when away for any length of time and overnight.

How difficult would it be to wire the system up so that it bypasses the kill
switch or will this require considerable re-wiring because Im integrating
the system into the existing Delorean electrics.

I apologise if this is covered in the instructions but Im hoping to start
the job tomorrow and didnít want to find out then that the question was not
covered and then have to wait on replies.

Thanks again for all the advice and a big thank you to Misty and Toby for
getting my order to Ireland ASAP.  It was really appreciated.

Have a nice Easter everyone.

Paul J
Belfast