From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:17 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3211

From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. RE: Re: Antique plates in Virginia
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Antique plates in Virginia
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. Re: Stereo Faceplate - Trade?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

11. RE: Re: Antique plates in Virginia
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Re: Re: Antique plates in Virginia
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

14. Re: Stereo Faceplate - Trade?
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Review of 1981 Delorean coming up for sale/virtually factory new
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

16. RE: Re: Antique plates in Virginia
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. Re: For Sale: 1981 (82??) Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual $19K OBO
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

18. 1978 Renault : ALPINE 310
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

19. Headlight switch update
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

20. Dash Light Rheostat
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Celebration Concours, 4/29/2006, 9:00 am
From: dmcnews

22. DCS Raffle Car Update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Re: Antique plates in [NC]
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: Review of 1981 Delorean coming up for sale/virtually factory new
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: Headlight switch update
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:14:31 -0700
From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Stereo Faceplate - Trade?

I'm looking to replace my original console faceplate (backplane) with one that is already cut out for a DIN, one-rectangular-hole stereo faceplate.  I know that some folks are looking to preserve the original mounting plane for the Craig radio but I'd like to put an updated stereo in my D.  I've never pulled the console out so I'm not sure if the faceplate can be removed separately or if the whole console will have to be exchanged, but I'm willing to entertain either eventuality.  Mine is grey and in very good condition.  Anybody have one they'd like to trade for my factory original?
Please contact me off list: gekko (at) flex.com  Thanx

DaDoc

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:26:06 -0700
From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Undercarriage rust/epoxy removal

I have not seen any discussion of glass bead blasting of the undercarriage to remove epoxy and rust.  Has this been used and is/was it a safe and effective method of cleaning up the undercarriage of these cars?  The glass is non-conductive, non-corrosive, non-dirt based so I would think that with proper pressure control and techinque, it would be faster, safer and more effective than sandblast, chemical or hand scraping.  Any experiences/ideas?

Thanx,

Craig

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:18:10 -0700
From: "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Dashboard dash pad

Does anyone know if there are any new, NOS or remanufactured dashboard tops (Dash pad part #110440) in grey, available anywhere?  I will need to replace mine at some point (sun cracked, as are many).  Appreciate any insights into where to look.

DaDoc

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:18:49 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Undercarriage rust/epoxy removal

It's been tried. The problem is that blasting won't cut the epoxy that isn's already loose from rust (at least not in a reasonable amount of time!). The epoxy is pretty amazing stuff requiring heat to let go, and just rubbery enough that the blast material sort of bounces off. Actually true sandblasting even has a hard time with the epoxy coating that's firmly bonded. That's what drives people to chemical or heat-based processes. If you are paying an hourly rate for such blasting and treatment, a replacement OEM frame (salvage) or even a stainless replacement frame gets pretty cost effective amazingly quickly.

I've seen blasting used sucessfully to clean up the rusty parts, but if you want a completely clean frame to start with its not effective.
There are also many boxed-in areas that you can't blast, and are also difficult any other way too.

Iknow from experience that even a terribly rusty frame will still have a very high percentage of the epoxy very well bonded.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Gekko West Coast Base" <gekko_at_dml_...>

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:22:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Stereo Faceplate - Trade?

Several vendors (at least DMCH) offer a pre-cut replacement steel panel so you can preserve the original. You have to remove the console for access, but you only have to change the black metal panel itself.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:20:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Craig fleishauer <flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just had the undercarriage blasted last month. The guy used a fine  media with 30 psi spray. It looks great. all of the loose epoxy &  rust is gone. Would highly recommend.

Gekko West Coast Base <gekko_at_dml_flex.com> wrote:  I have not seen any discussion of glass bead blasting of the undercarriage to remove epoxy and rust.  Has this been used and is/was it a safe and effective method of cleaning up the undercarriage of these cars?  The glass is non-conductive, non-corrosive, non-dirt based so I would think that with proper pressure control and techinque, it would be faster, safer and more effective than sandblast, chemical or hand scraping.  Any experiences/ideas?

Thanx,

Craig

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:57:29 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Antique plates in Virginia

Anybodies?  I got Historic Maryland plates on order.  Personalized to
say "BK2FUTR"

Matt
VIN: 2953

Which is huyuuuuge in Virginia.  Congratulations.  Would love to see a

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:14:26 -0500
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Antique plates in Virginia

I ordered antique Illinois plates now that my '81 is 25 years old.  I just
love the fact that my D is now emissions exempt.  They are still on order,
but they are supposed to read "MCFLY" when they arrive.

Corey
2423

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:08:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

In New Jersey a car has to be 25 years old to qualify for Historic
Plates. My 81 now has them. In NJ once you get historic plates it does
not have to be inspected (they only check insurance and mileage) and
it does not cost anything to renew. Only the initial registration fee.
You really have to check the rules in the State you live in. Every
State has it's own rules about this. In some States they allow the use
of an old plate. In some you can request a particular plate. Some
States have severe rules on when you can operate the car, hours,
mileage, etc. Most States now have websites where you can get a lot of
this type of information. You can always try calling (Ha Ha) and get
it too.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:20:15 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

I believe James posted a thread (last year?) about a possibility
of trading a new, pre-cut replacement steel panel for an OEM one
in good condition.  I'm not sure how many DMCH is interested in
swapping, but you could give James a call to find out.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:29:25 -0500
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yeah, the Illinois law says that antique plated vehicles are exempt from
inspection....  But the catch is that you are "technically" only allowed to
drive the car to and from car shows, special events, and maintinance.  But,
I doubt a cop is gonna pull me over and say "Hey!  I see you have antique
plates...  You better be on your way to a car show!"  Hee hee...

Corey
2423

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:01:10 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

The usual cause for cool fan cycling with a full charge is the 35A
circuit breaker that protects the fan circuit.  It will change value and
break during normal operation.  This often indicates the need for a
relay update with our kit, (part number K111168), or at least an upgrade
of the circuit breaker to a 40A unit, (part number 106086).
Warren at DMC

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:05:11 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

Just spoke to DMV in NY and they say that when a car
reaches it's 26th year it no longer needs to be tested for
emissions. A NY safety inspection ("normal" inspection is
safety & emissions) is $10.

I just got my car inspected so it is good for another year
0 next year I won't need to pass emissions :-)

$10/year is much nicer then $37/year...

No need to get historic plates in NY to avoid emissions
testing... besides you can't get personalized plates in NY
that are historic. So, I get to keep my STNLESS plate
either way.

regards,

Michael Paine
vin 6067

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:30:10 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

At present, we have sufficient quantities of originals that we're no
longer interested in trading DIN faceplates for factory ones. Either
style is available at $150 each.

James Espey
Visit http://www.dmchelp.com for tech advice from the pros who know!
Brought to you by DMC (Texas), PJ Grady, DeLorean Motor Center and DMC
(Florida)

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:19:26 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Review of 1981 Delorean coming up for sale/virtually factory new

I was fortunate enough today to have the time to head over and look
at the car that Byron is trying to sell.  Despite the fact that my
allergies were making my eyes water and itch, at my first blurred
sight I knew this was a very special car.

I didn't realize that I had seen this car at a tech session last
October.  After sitting for so long, the car didn't run very well at
the time, but Dave Bauerle and his crew have brought this car up to
speed by giving it a tuneup and by performing the various safety
recalls that the car never had performed in the 1980's.

The odometer reads 2927 miles, and the condition of the car makes
this look very accurate.  The black interior of this car is
immaculate, and the original weatherstripping is still soft and
supple to the touch.  This surprised me, as did the leather seats.
While I at first thought that the skins were replacements, careful
analysis told me no--these were the original seats, yet they were
soft and still had all of their ripples.  The fact that these seats
haven't even slightly shrunk in 25 years leads me to believe this car
has seldom seen daylight.

The headliners had been removed and were being replaced, so those I
cannot critique.  I did notice that the body panels were flawless, as
was the gasflap hood.  Despite a light layer of dust (since the car
hasn't been detailed yet), there were no dings that I was able to
find at any angle I looked from (not even from the window motors!).

The frame looked amazing, and the epoxy was completely intact with no
discoloration.  There wasn't a single sign of corrosion or rust on
any bolt on the undercarriage.  I did notice that the front swaybar
had some slight surface corrosion, but this can be easily fixed, and
my guess is this will be taken care of before a new owner takes
possession of the car.  This was honestly the only flaw I could find
on the undercarriage, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to things
like this.

I peeked into the electrical comparment behind the driver seat and
that bracket looked perfect.  No corrosion whatsoever.  I can only
assume the fuse compartment behind the passenger seat looks the same,
I forgot to check it.

This car still had the original hoses, which looked good to me.
Since this won't be heavily driven, I see nothing wrong with them.

All in all, this car will be a real concours competitor once it is
detailed and taken up the Pheasant Run.
-Patrick C.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:50:49 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Maybe not, but they just might notice it parked in a Wal-Mart parking lot,
or at a restaurant or any other place that is not a car show or service
facility.  You don't have to be moving to get a ticket...

-------------- Original message from "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:11:05 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: For Sale: 1981 (82??) Turbo Delorean <10K miles 5 spd manual $19K OBO

hi

i took a look at these pics and there seems to be plenty more
required.
such as mirror units, possble carpet, door seals, possible inner
door panels.
and i'm not sure that the doors will clean only. they really need
stripping down all trim, maybe a sand and regritt.
is it not worth claiming insurance, or having a full repair?
could be in excess of $5k when all included surely.

regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_...> wrote:

> For Sale 1981 (82??) Turbo Charged (BAE Single Turbocharger)
DeLorean
> $19K OBO. VIN 4546 <10K miles, gray interior, 5 speed manual
> transmission, Alpine Navigational System with Alpne 6 Disk CD
Changer,

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:33:08 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: 1978 Renault : ALPINE 310

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Renault-ALPINE-310-1978-RENAULT-ALPINE-
A-310-LOW-MILES-RARE-
EXCEPTIONAL_W0QQitemZ4630796485QQcategoryZ6385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ
cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Nice example of our PRV friend on E-Bay.
Very clean and nice, I would love to have it.

Byron

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:10:14 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Headlight switch update

Realizing that not everyone here reads the dmchelp.com forums, I wanted
to re-post here the recent update on the headlight switch reproduction
program.

------------

After reviewing samples from the supplier, and being unhappy with the
switch and the design, we have pulled the project from the supplier and
decided to modify the existing design to improve the functionality and
performance of the switch. A minimal amount of current will run through
the switch (enough to light the internal indicator bulb), and it will
feature an "auto-off" upgrade, currently set for a 30-second delay after
the ignition is turned off that it will shut off the headlights. It will
still be a "plug and play" switch and be identical in appearance to the
original. Retail price is still expected to be $50, and those who placed
pre-orders will be the first to receive the switches, as outlined
previously.

We've had the first "proof of concept" samples here in a company car for
the last week or so and so far it's working great. We're moving towards
getting this design finalized and into production.

I think everyone will be happy with this new development, and a much
improved product. After the last experience with talking about dates,
I'm hesitant to do so again. I would hope that within the next week or
two, however, I will feel confident enough to set a date. It is entirely
possible that the pre-orders will be filled prior to DCS.

------------

Please feel free to direct questions/comments to me at:
james(at)delorean.com

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:31:30 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Dash Light Rheostat

While working under the shifter panel that holds the dash light
rheostat, I decided it would be easier to move the panel around if the
wires connected to the rheostat were disconnected.

Unfortunately, trying to do this gently resulted in some of the guts
of the rheostat ending up in my hand with the wires still attached to
what I will call the rheostat "fingers". (sigh)

Inside the "case" is a post connected to the control knob.  A little
metal disc is mounted on the post. When I first saw the disk, it was
tilted a bit... now it flops around pretty loosely.

The piece with the wires attached has about five metal fingers that
presumably make contact with something inside the case. These are
either fixed contacts that interact with the case body, wipers that
touch the disk or both. I'm not sure!

I was able to reinsert the "back plate" and it snapped in and held,
but operation of the rheostat is pretty erratic.  It's mostly off
unless I hold it in one position.

This unit seems repairable, but I don't really know the theory of
rheostat operation and have some questions about the insides of the
rheostat:

1) The disk:

It's not clear to me where the disk is supposed to ride.  Is the disk
supposed to be loose or mounted to the top, bottom or middle of the
post? In a horizontal or an angled position?

2) The copper fingers:

One of the fingers is bent a little and I'd like to bend it back to
make contact with the proper spot, if I knew where that was!  What are
these fingers supposed to be touching?  Does the disk ride between the
top set and the bottom set, etc., etc.?

A final question:  I found an old DML post that suggests the rheostat
can be by-passed by connecting all three of the wires attached to it
together.  Before I actually attempt this, can someone confirm this is
a viable approach to dash lighting while I work on the rheostat or buy
a replacement?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: 22 Apr 2006 13:03:00 -0000
From: dmcnews
Subject: Celebration Concours, 4/29/2006, 9:00 am

 Reminder from the Calendar of dmcnews
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/cal

Celebration Concours
Saturday April 29, 2006
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
(This event does not repeat.)
Event Location: Celebration, FL (Disney Area)

Notes:
www.celebrationexoticcars.com

Set up birthday reminders!

Copyright 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 http://www.yahoo.com

Privacy Policy:
 http://privacy.yahoo.com/

Terms of Service:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

[This message contained attachments]

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:08:01 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Raffle Car Update

Well after spending too much time trying to get the door lock solenoids to
work properly I broke down and ordered Toby's door lock solenoid kit.
Other than I am color blind (no fault of Tobys kit) and it was not well lit
I managed to get it in about 45 minutes.  (The doors were already apart)
Biggest problem was a stubborn linkage again not any problems with the  kit.

The solenoids click the locks like they were meant to be and they work  fine.
everything plugged in no cutting, little taping and a few tie wraps and we
are good,

Should have been doing this right along.  I can't think of all the  hours I
have spent over the years trying to get those old solenoids working  right.

By the way the door is a bit lighter the struts work better

By the way I ordered these from Toby and he decided to donate them to the
raffle car.
So thank Toby an Misty.

Sales have been strong on the ticket sales so get your ticket while they
last.
We did a bit more cleaning up and the new stripe is great.

I will have a few new pics next week when I clean this thing up again my
fingerprints are all over it.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:18:41 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Antique plates in [NC]

Bummer - North Carolina will let you use any plate on the car from the
year of manufacture for an antique vehicle provided you keep the regular
plate in the car with you to present as requested. (would be cool to
have an 81 plate that reads DMC-12) Unfortionately, the car also has to
be at least 35 years old. :(  Will have to keep checking to see if there
are other vintage options.

Michael Babb

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:51:38 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

Patrick,
thank you very much for the post. This is tremendously appreciated
as you are well know in these forums and events and that I am not.
I truly appreciate it.

I cannot wait to clean that car up.

Byron

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:06:08 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Headlight switch update

James,

With the auto-off upgrade, would I be able to leave the parking lights on
all of the time and not worry about shutting them off? i.e. will they shut off
by themselves when the ignition is off, and then come back on when the
ignition  is on? Or does this only work with the headlights?

Andy

In a message dated 4/21/2006 9:06:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
james_at_dml_delorean.com writes:

After  reviewing samples from the supplier, and being unhappy with the
switch and  the design, we have pulled the project from the supplier and
decided to  modify the existing design to improve the functionality and
performance of  the switch. A minimal amount of current will run through
the switch  (enough to light the internal indicator bulb), and it will
feature an  "auto-off" upgrade, currently set for a 30-second delay after
the ignition  is turned off that it will shut off the headlights. It will
still be a  "plug and play" switch and be identical in appearance to the
original.  Retail price is still expected to be $50, and those who placed
pre-orders  will be the first to receive the switches, as outlined
previously.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596