From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:30 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3215

1. Re: Dash Light Rheostat
From: "Shipping Department" <shipping_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Re: Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Unlocking Steer Wheel
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

4. Re: Dash Light Rheostat
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. pics of new exhaust
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. RE: Northern California meet on the 30th of April - Now May 7th
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

7. Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

8. Re: pics of new exhaust
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

9. Re: Re: Door Locks
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

10. Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Re: Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: pics of new exhaust
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Headlight switch update
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. Re: Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Central FL DMC Gathering at Celebration Car Show, APR 29th.
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: pics of new exhaust
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. front main seal leak
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:39:22 -0700
From: "Shipping Department" <shipping_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Dash Light Rheostat

Take a look at delorean.com in the tech notes. There is a section about repairing your rheostat.
It should explain how to put it back together properly. However if you've broken the black plastic that holds the "little copper fingers" you'll probably still have improper operation. If you still need assistance feel free to contact me directly.

Benjamin Shrum
DeLorean Motor Company
(281)441-2537 ext 104

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:52:57 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

Paul and others,

I just spoke with Rob today about the proper A/C charge. He said he usually
goes with 2.2 lbs R12 to start with and that works for most cars.  He also
indicated that rest pressure should be about 60 PSI at room temperature.

Andy

In a message dated 4/24/2006 10:56:54 A.M. Central Standard Time,
paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com writes:

Thanks  for the replies to my cycling concern.

I have the Fan Fail Fix 2x2, and  upgraded breakers, so I should be
in good shape there.  I should  probably wait for hotter weather
before I complain about cycling, becuase  the outside temp was only
in the mid to high 60's when I encountered the  fast cycling.  I
suppose I should wait for an 80 degree day and see  what the cycle
time is then.

Paul

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:49:41 +0000
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Unlocking Steer Wheel

I went to move one of my D's from storage to my garage and I cannot find the keys!!  I have searched everywhere and cannot find it.  I was able to "hot wire" it by jumping the ignition wires but I cannot unlock the column.  I need to move it this week or else I will be paying for another months storage.  Anyone know how to unlock the column without breaking anything?  Also, James, please e-mail directly as I would like to know if you can make a key for me if I send you the ignition assembly?

Thanks!

Jason

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:04:35 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks, I'll look!  No parts appear broken... the plastic piece just
pulled out when I tugged on the wires to disconnect them.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Shipping Department" <shipping_at_dml_...>

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:53:17 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: pics of new exhaust

Hello,

I just updated my cardomain website with pics of my exhaust with a  Magnaflow
muffler. You can check it out here:

_http://www.cardomain.com/ride/307492/9_

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:31:05 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: Northern California meet on the 30th of April - Now May 7th

Due to scheduling issues with many of our members, our next meet has
been rescheduled to May 7th. The remainder of the details remain as
below. Make sure to check out our website:
http://www.ncdmc.org to see all of our events, past meets, and more
contact information.

Ken M

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:39:36 -0700
From: "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out

We have received unprecedented interested in the concours at the
upcoming DCS'06, and it's with mixed emotions that I'm writing
the group to report that we have maxed out the accommodations for
concours competitors at the upcoming show. We now have 7 competitors
for the show, and with the space provided at DCS'06 this puts us
over the top of the allocated area Kan gave us to accommodate a
maximum of 6 cars. Don't worry --  I'll work with Ken to ensure
we have accommodation to handle all 7 concours competitors, even
if it means the throwing distance to the dunking booth will have
to be shortened a bit to make room for the cars ;-)

I'm thrilled to see that the concours has drawn such interest with
a record-setting number of exceptional competitors, but I'm sorry
to report that since we have exhausted the space available to us,
we can no longer accept additional concours competitors for this
event. We will, of course, have another event at the next national
DeLorean gathering which promises to have a similarly strong lineup
(I would venture a guess that Ken will be making a return next year).

With the exceptionally strong showing, the upcoming concours at
DCS'06 will certainly be a competition to remember. I think
everyone at DCS'06 will be treated with a lineup of the finest
cars in the community, and millennium participants will have a
chance to go head to head with the best there is.

I look forwarding to seeing you all at DCS'06.

Knut

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:04:55 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: pics of new exhaust

Hi

Looks like a nice system you have there, can i just ask a couple of
questions , hope it doesnt sound too nitpicky!

1. The rear muffler looks awfully close to the 'front' of the engine
does this have /need any heatshielding? .
2. Is there any adjustment in the positioing of the rear muffler, one
tailpipe looks a little lower than the other?.
3. Any reason why you didnt use the main manifold gaskets that come
wth the kit?
4. Happy with the overall noise level of the system, particulary in
the cabin?

Looking to replace my own exhaust in the next couple of months.

Good work!

Kind Regards

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:14:01 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Re: Door Locks

NO it is not a bad contact of the solenoid. But maybe of the switch(es).

BOTH doors must be locked properly to allow the lock module to unlock both
doors. Same thing the other way around - both doors must be unlocked
properly to allow the to be locked by the solenoids.

Elvis & 6548

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:54:12 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed

Just a quick note to add to Kayo's points on the Stainless Exhaust
system. I've fitted several of them

http://www.delorean.co.uk/Resources/engineandbox.jpg

The manifolds can sometimes be a struggle to get over the studs but I've
only ever had one that outright wouldn't fit (way back on one of the
early systems). Sometimes the lambda sensor wire does indeed need to be
extended on our system too. The system is supplied with gaskets for the
link pipes, but not with the 12 nuts and bolts that hold it all
together, and not with the manifold-to-head studs or gaskets. I think
the bggest pain in the neck is threading the nut that holds the front
starter motor heatshield mount :-)

We have a car in at the moment that had one of the first systems and has
done some 20,000 miles since. The manifolds have turned brown (not rust)
but the rear box is still shiny.

Martin

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:56:18 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Millennium Concours at DCS'06 maxed out

In a message dated 4/25/2006 1:45:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com writes:

I'll  work with Ken to ensure
we have accommodation to handle all 7 concours  competitors
The concours is on of my favorite parts of the show so of course I will  give
you the rooms
Don't close registration because of space I will give you the space.

<<<<I would venture a guess that Ken will be making a return  next year>>>

That is a safe bet. If I could enter this one I would.

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:10:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Hey guy's, Check out the new headers I have on the site.
John Hervey

 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine.html

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:13:51 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Very nice looking.  My DMCH Exhaust is still in the box on my living
roof floor.  It should be on this coming Tuesday.  I will have pics
and videos.  Hopefully a drive-by video.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:51:29 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Headlight switch update

Andy,

The lights do not turn themselves on when the ignition is turned on.
Also, the lights will turn on normally with the ignition off. If the
ignition is on when the lights are on and the ignition is then turned
off (leaving the lights on), then the lights will turn themselves off
after a preset time, or you can shut them off yourself before the
timeout if you like. If for some reason you want the lights on after
the ignition is off, you can still turn them back on again if you like.

If you don't like or want this feature, it can be disabled simply by
not connecting the "auto-off" wire lead during installation or later.

James

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:10:29 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: New dash/binnacle and other parts update

Fourth set of samples for the dash in due in next week. The last sets
of dashes/binnacles had problems where they were not interchangeable
NEW to OEM - for example, an original dash and a new binnacle did not
fit well together and vice versa. This fourth set of samples should
have that corrected.

The vinyl material covering the binnacle has proven very difficult to
match, though we have recently located a supplier who can make it for
us - the problem is the minimum quantity for this special
material/color is 4500 linear meters, at $5 per meter, also about
3500-4000 meters more than we need for binnacles. We're negotiating
now to see what we can get them down to on the quantity.

LH Escutcheons and console covers are approved for production, just
waiting on these last two pieces to be approved so they can all be
molded at the same time.

James Espeu
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It's a Conspiracy!!  I KNEW IT!

Another reason to not like Concours.  :)

--- "Grimsrud, Knut S" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:03:43 -0000
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Central FL DMC Gathering at Celebration Car Show, APR 29th.

Good Day all...

With the days counting down to Celebration, Mike Cole and I were
brainstorming about what we could do as a group while everyone was in
town...

Friday is going to be a sort of tech day / detail day for anyone to
come out to my place and do any last minute tweaks or cleaning to
their ride to get it ready for the show. I have the day off from work,
so I'll be there all day. Anyone who can make it out is welcome.

Saturday we will have a DMC caravan to Celebration on the morning of
the show, and all local owners (or even some not-so-local owners)
are welcome to attend.  My house is right out the back side of Disney
property, and about 15 minutes max from Celebration.  Registration and
arrival starts at 9, so if we can all meet up at my place around 8 it
should give everyone ample opportunity to do any last minute detailing
and touch ups, and roll out around 8:30.

Sunday, we were thinking that since a bunch of you will have already
been out to my place already, why not just come back out for a
BBQ/cookout? That way, anyone who is on a budget (myself included)
will be able to come hang out and such without spending a mint at a
pricy restaurant. We can do burgers, hot dogs, sodas, etc.. relatively
cheap. We will handle getting all the food items, we'll just have
everyone contribute a small "cover charge" of $7. If beer is your
thing, you are welcome to bring some, but sodas will be provided. If
you have any collapsible chairs to bring, that would be great too...

That's what we came up with, anyone who would like to attend is
welcome. Please respond in this thread if you are interested in coming
out.

Brandon Shelton
VIN 4205
Orlando, FL.

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:21:40 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update

YEA
Please put me out of the dash and binnacle refurbishing business.

They are a pain to recover and we do this only because No one else is recovering them and it took a special fixture to punch the holes back in to match the original speaker cut out.

We have done about 20 in the last year and a half. With the number rising.

I'll take two when you are ready and will retire my recovering fixtures on the mantle above the fireplace.

The demand for recovered dashes has really increased and if anyone has any cores they are not going to use we can use a few to bridge over until DMCH is up and running

UPS likes to break them in two.  We lost 2 so far but insurance does not get us functional cores.

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:23:53 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: pics of new exhaust

Mike,

Great questions. Here are your answers:

1. Yes the Magnaflow muffler is quite close the front pulley.  A
heatshield such as the one supplied with the Flowmaster would probably
not work because there just isn't enough room for it.  The Magnaflow is
more rounded than the Flowmaster.  For this reason, I insisted on
getting the Magnaflow Jet-Hot coated just like the rest of the system.
The Jet-Hot coating not only looks good and is long lasting, but can
reduce temps off the exhaust by up to 55%.  So far, I have found the
system to run quite cool and you can touch the exhaust with bare hands
in less than 10 minutes after shut down.  I am going to try running
without a heatshield and see if there are any accelerated wear issues.
I will report as things come up, but I think things will be just fine
so far.

2. The muffler angle is non adjustable on the brackets and bushings and
is fully determined by the piping of the exhaust.  The muffler is not
defective and the Flowmaster was a little bit lower on one side during
test fitting as well.  I am bringing the car to a custom exhaust shop
next month to see if they have any ideas. Only the anal guys like you
and me seem to notice this though.

3. The supplied manifold gaskets were garbage.  I was unable to
separate them without damage to either the outer metal part or the
softer, crumbly inside part.  I tried using a razor blade, tin snips,
and a dremel.  Sorry, but after pulling my engine I couldn't bare to
use questionable gaskets on something that takes so much labor to re-do
if it leaks later. Another owner used these gaskets and the headers
leaked not long after.  He told me about the Volvo gaskets which are
far superior but more expensive.  I don't care about the cost, I just
want the best if I am going to do this!!

4. Overall noise level is louder and deeper than stock.  It sounds
GREAT and almost brought a tear to my eye as I floored it down my
street for the first time.  At low RPM's, say from 700 to maybe 1500,
the sound is deep and loud enough to be slightly fatiguing if ran for a
long time like that.  Once you get past 2250 RPM or so the sound
completely disappears and is no louder than stock.  On the interstate
today I noticed that at 75 mph there was absolutely no difference
between stock and new and I could listen to my stereo or use my cell
phone easily.  The sound difference (at least what gets into the cabin)
is completely resigned to the lower RPM's, which is the way I would
want it.  Who wants to be fatigued on the interstate?

I would be happy to provide any consultation anyone needs in this
subject.

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:30:14 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Of course it is a conspiracy
Knut and I stayed up all night thinking of things to accomodate the space and he beat me to it LOL.

Not to worry Marc we are going to have Knut throw the first ball at the dunking booth

On a more serious note

Who would you like to see in the booth
If we get some names  we will go and ask them
All names are open I play no favorites.

DCS is open to all and we can dunk anyone that will get in the booth.

So who is your favorite Dunkee

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:39:24 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: front main seal leak

Hey Group,

Part of my engine pulling project was to replace a leaking front main
seal. It would gradually seep and was just making a slow mess on my oil
pan.  While the engine was out, I pulled off the pulley and had it
sleeved with the appropriate timkin sleeve.  I also replaced the oil
seal with Grady's double-lip seal.  Now it is still leaking.  What
happens is that the leak is extremely slight while running, if it is
leaking at all, the pulley is whipping it into an extremely fine mist.
After 15 minutes of running you can barely see a thin misty stripe on
the ground under it about a foot wide.  There is very little oil on my
timing cover.  Then, when you shut the engine off after it reaches a
good and hot temp, about 4 or 5 drops will seep out of the seal and
drip from the pulley in quick succession and then it is done and won't
leak until I start the car again.  There is always a quarter-sized spot
under the pulley when I come back to the car and I have observed it by
running to the back of the car and watching it after shutdown.

What is happening here? I think the oil must be building up in between
the lips of the seal and it is then expelled when the engine stops.
I am willing to remove the muffler and pull the pulley off again but I
want to fix it for good this time.  I am even considering buying a new
timing cover, pulley and seal just so I know nothing is damaged.

What would you do?