From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:47 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3216

1. Re: front main seal leak
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>

2. Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

4. RE: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DMA Spring Event this Weekend
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

6. Re: front main seal leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

8. Ethanol in Gasoline
From: "Rick Heile" <rick.heile_at_dml_hp.com>

9. Re: front main seal leak
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Dunking Booth _at_dml_ DCS
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: front main seal leak
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Re: front main seal leak
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

14. Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

18. RE: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

20. Today's Motor Oil
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>

21. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

24. Re: Re: front main seal leak
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: front main seal leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:11:17 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>
Subject: Re: front main seal leak

Andy - Quite frankly, what I would do is have the shaft of the pulley reworked using flame-sprayed ceramic.  You can specify the exact outer diameter that you want, and the surface finish of the chromium oxide ceramic is as smooth as glass (literally - 8 microinch finish or better) when done.  I have had other shaft seal areas repaired in this fashion, with outstanding results.  The seals will last indefinitely with an ultra-smooth surface to run on.  This type of work is not exactly cheap, but it yields superior results.
The last item reworked in this fashion was a transmission main shaft.  The job cost $90, but was a perfect solution to saving a $500+ part.  I have a local specialty shop that does this - you may have a shop in your locality that performs similar work.  It is definitely worth checking out, if results are the main goal.

PS - Are you sure that you are not building up excessive pressure in the engine block due to poor ventilation?  Too much pressure will cause oil to be expelled through where ever it can find a pathway.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> What is happening here? I think the oil must be building up in
between the lips of the seal and it is then expelled when the engine stops. I am willing to remove the muffler and pull the pulley off again but I want to fix it for good this time.  I am even considering buying a new timing cover, pulley and seal just so I know nothing is damaged.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:15:39 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New dash/binnacle and other parts update

Console covers with the correct "grain" on the sides?

-Joe

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:04:31 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Mid-Atlantic Spring Social

Final reminder...deadline to pre-register for the spring social dinner is tomorrow (Wednesday).

Projected weather for Saturday is 65 and Sunny!   Perfect for a DMA event!
:)    If you plan to attend, we NEED you to let us know ASAP!

- Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

  _____

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:55:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed

Has anyone found a QUIET muffler yet?

I put the "OEM Quiet" stainless mufflers on to 6068 last night, and it is WAY too loud for me..  The car will probably run like this to DCS, but soon after I hope to find something that is quiet.

John;  I see a muffler in the photo on your site.
What is the pipe size?  is it stainless?  Is it QUIET?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine.html

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:45:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: DMA Spring Event this Weekend

For those planning to attend this year's DMA Spring Event and are
coming from the north, I will be in the Garden State Parkway rest stop
at mm 172 in between the food building and the gas station at 8:00 AM
Saturday morning. I will be there for 15 minutes and will have a
family band radio on channel 12. I know it is a bit early but I have
to get to the event before 10:00AM. Anyone wishing to join up can meet
me there and we can travel together. So far the weather looks to be
good for the weekend. If you do plan on being there and want my cell #
e-mail me off-list.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:52:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

How much blow-by do you have. If the crankcase is building up positive
pressure you will never fix all of the leaks. Pull the oil filler and
see if pressure is coming out. Make sure the metering nipple is not
clogged up on the cold start injector tube. The crankcase MUST be
under negative pressure so you don't leak oil. When was the last oil
change? if the oil is full of metal particles you will ruin any new
seals you put in. If it is the wrong viscosity it will also cause it
to leak.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:33:38 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Just Dashes will recover DeLorean binnacles, dash pads and glovebox
doors with correct colors and grain patterns.

-------------- Original message from kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:48:33 -0000
From: "Rick Heile" <rick.heile_at_dml_hp.com>
Subject: Ethanol in Gasoline

Hi,
Since I have been using my D I have only put the best quality gasoline
into her. Now in our area Mobil has started adding 10% ethanol to all
of their grades of gas. Does anyone have any infomation on how the POV
will accept this change on fuel. Do I need to use additives? I want to
make sure I don't cause any issues.

Thanks,

Rick

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:20:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Did you put some sealant under the sleeve, and did you oil the pulley
shaft before inserting the pulley onto the crank and into the seal?
Does that seal have a tension spring inside it? It's a slightly
tighter fit with the sleeve and if it's difficult to get in you can
knock the small spring (if that seal used one) off the sleeve.

Check the crankcase pressure by running the engine with the oil
filler cap removed, but if it still leaks my guess is that you either
nicked the seal during installation or dislodged the tension spring
in the seal. If that happened, when you remove the pulley again
you'll see the spring wrapped around the crank - you may need a
mirror to see it.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dunking Booth _at_dml_ DCS

That jerk Marc Levy.  He has got it comming to him!

When will he learn......  Oh, Wait.. Nevermind.  :)

[MODERATOR NOTE: Marc -- are you volunteering to be in the booth?]

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:49:01 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'll bet he has a hard time finding someone to do that in Fargo. . .

Dave

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:57:55 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What will cause too much crank case pressure? I have notices a draft
coming from around the oil fill cap/breather, would that indicate
too much crank pressure?
Nathan
2277

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:59:34 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Ethanol in Gasoline

The DeLorean runs fine on a 10% ethonal mix but I wouldn't recomend storing
the car for long periods with it in the tank. There is the possibility of
the alcohol and gas seperating over time and that could cause problems. I'd
suggest using a fuel stabilizer for even a few weeks of storage. In
Minnesota 10% ethonal is mandated but there is a provision for stations to
carry, at their discretion,  premium non-ethonal fuel for collector cars and
small engines. In driving around the country I've had to fill with ethonal
mixed gas many times with no ill effects with the exception of slightly
poorer gas milage. Ethonal is less efficient than gas and burns a bit slower
so in addition to lesser miles per gallon the octane level is also raised.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:18:41 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

I was referring to the center console armest covers - where the
ashtray and window/defrost/dummy switches are. This piece is being
reproduced as it is currently not available.

Our center console recover kit itself uses the same vinyl as the sides
of our new seat covers, though the sides of the console originally
used the same vinyl as the upper/lower door panels. This unique
"ripple" pattern is not likely to be reproduced at any time in the
foreseeable future for cost reasons.

Sorry for any confusion...

James

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:22:24 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Actually, they can do dashes in the correct grain, but not binnacles.
I spoke with them a few weeks ago, and a dash was about $700, and a
binnacle (in the incorrect grain) about $400.

Someone on the dmchelp.com forums asked me about the projected costs
for these reproduction pieces we are completing and I replied:

Escutcheons will be about the same - $20
Console covers also about the same - $90
Dashes are expected to be come in around $300-$400
Binnacles had been hoped to be in the $200-$250 range, but with the
new material cost possibly adding significantly to the cost, we're not
quoting anything on that anymore. I should know more on those in a
couple weeks.

James

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:52:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

We've been using that here in northern Illinois for over 20 years.
There's not much choice, it's now a legal requirement here. Other than
the rubber parts in the fuel tank not lasting as long, and the fuel
sometimes having a bit more water in it than I'd like, it's fine. Stick
with the major brands.

The best thing you can do is remember to empty the tank when you park
the car for the winter. And drive the car enough to go thru a couple of
tanks of gas per year. The shelf life on this stuff seems much shorter.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:43:05 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Alcohol is very rough on rubber components-it's a powerful solvent.
Modern cars have alcohol-proof or -compatible bits in them to allow the
use of fuels that contain up to 15% ethonol.  Older cars are not as
flexible.  I advise against the use of gasohol or E15 or any fuel that
uses a substantial mixture of alcohol.

Back in the early 90s, when gasohol came out, one of our customer's used
it because a discount filling station was near his home.  He brought his
car in for fuel related problems and complained that the pump boot we
sold him wasn't the right size.  He produced a boot that was about 20%
larger than stock.  We finally figured out that his fuel had caused it.
  We installed a new boot along with instructions to use standard fuel.
  The swollen boot stayed on the counter for a few weeks while we
watched it shrink.  It never did get back to the right size.

Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:42:46 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I haven't checked to see if they have an exact fit for this application, but
Dynomax typically has a beautiful sound that is in harmony with the
DeLorean, and they flow as well as, or better than, most other brands.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:23:44 -0400
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

Nice!  Price...?
- ed

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S
1990 Coupe Quattro 20V

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:14:26 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Today's Motor Oil

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: There are mountains of opinions about motor oil in the archives, and more of those opinioins will not be posted in response to this message. Only responses that directly address the question of changes in additives for newer oils and the impact of the lack of these additives for our engines will be posted.]

Group,

Now that my DeLorean is almost fully restored, I've turned my
attention to restoring a '68 Chevy. (Be patient, there is a DeLorean
connection!).

My mechanic just finished rebuilding the Chevy's engine and
reinstalling it in the car. After the engine is broken in, he
recommended I only use Pennzoil or Quaker State racing oil.

Why?

It appears the older blocks are not compatible with today's oils. In
1996, the API (American Petroleum Institute) mandated that motor
oils used in production automobiles have less amounts of zinc and
phosphorus to reduce pollutants. These are the main ingredients of
the anti-wear additive ZDDP, zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate.

The above mentioned racing oils still contain high levels of ZDDP.
Because they are marketed for "racing" engines, they do not have to
meet new car motor oil regulations.

The June issue of Hot Rod Magazine had an article about cam failures
of older engines using modern oils. One cam manufacturer stated that
cams made just 10 years ago would not pass today's quality
standards.

Apparently, older cams were made of softer material that heavily
relied on ZDDP for long life. The article states "The zinc reacts
with the cam lobe's surface. That creates a sacrificial chemical
coating strong enough to keep parts separated to reduce the wear."
This suggests today's synthetics without ZDDP will not protect as
well as older oil formulations with ZDDP.

A quick Google search on ZDDP seems to support what Hot Rod Magazine
is saying. But, we all are aware of how things can be exaggerated by
the press.

Just to be on the safe side, my rebuilt Chevy engine will be
lubricated with racing oil. For my DeLorean, I think I will switch
to Shell Rotella T 15W-40 at the next oil change. Rotella was listed
in the Hot Rod Magazine article as being a high ZDDP additive motor
oil. The DeLorean manual lists 15W-40 as a recommended viscosity.
Wal-Mart carries Rotella, so I should be set.

Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:46:54 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I've witnessed the same phenomenon when cleaning up a fuel tank baffle
assembly complete with original pickup hose by soaking it in acetone.
The hose was quite funny when it came out being about the size of a
small cucumber... (hadn't planned on re-using it anyway but I was just
being lazy :-)

Martin

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:45:48 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

To all..  New York State started a while back putting the ethanol in
Gasoline in certain sections of the State.  Mainly in Metro areas to cut  back on
polution.  What it did was to foul up a number of engines.   It worked as a
solvent and in older cars it would clean out the  gas tanks of any type of build up
and sent it into the carbs or injectors.   I remember that this occurred
mainly in the Metro NY area.  I still see  some signs on pumps up hear that show a
warning that this gas contains 10%  ethanol.  I've not yet had a problem with
it.  It may be that it  depends on the percentage that is allowed.
Roy
0893

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:44:39 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Borla is a quiet muffler but the one we need Borla wont sell as a
separate piece, you have to buy a whole kit for a car. Borla is quiet
at idle and when you are driving but sounds awesome when you really
open up the car.

Mark V

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:36:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: front main seal leak

cracked/worn rings.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:00:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Possible causes of excess pressure in the crankcase:
Cracked, stuck, worn, or missing piston rings
Exessively worn valve guides.
Improperly adjusted valves
Plugged up or not connected vacuum hoses to create the negative pressure.
Pull the oil filler. Take a small piece of stiff card stock like a 3x5
index card and place it over the fill on the motor as the motor is
idling. It should stay in place. If it does not, you have problems.