From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:37 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3217

1. Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: pics of new exhaust
From: darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net

3. RE: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

4. DMA Spring Social - Raffle Goodies!
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

5. Cooling Fan Otterstat Wires
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: front main seal leak
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Today's Motor Oil
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Special mailing for the DeLorean Owners Directory
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

9. Re: Special mailing for the DeLorean Owners Directory
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Solution to Ethanol in Gasoline
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Dunking Booth _at_dml_ DCS
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: front main seal leak
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Cooling Fan Otterstat Wires
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. DCS2006 Driving Tour Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. Re: Solution to Ethanol in Gasoline
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: front main seal leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Delorean sighting: "Ultimate Showdown"
From: "Scott McMullan" <smcmullan_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Re: Door Locks
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

21. Re: Lack of power at low RPMs
From: "vin5497" <DMC5497_at_dml_comcast.net>

22. Re: Dash Light Rheostat
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. DeLorean in the May 2006 Maxim magazine
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

24. DCS convoy from the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Cooling Fan Otterstat Wires
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed

Thanks..

I checked the Dynomax site, but they are using that Flash crap, and it is not working properly.  I do see they have some SS mufflers.  Maybe they are better quality than the standard stuff I have on my Taurus which I replace every 2 years.

Borla has a good reputation, but I read they are louder.

These loud mufflers may be OK for the track, or attracting attention (like, we need more in a
DeLorean) but considering I do a lot of long distance driving, I want it to be quiet as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:14:01 +0000
From: darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: pics of new exhaust

What's the part number on that magnaflow?

Darkstar
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:38:14 -0400
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: RE: Ethanol in Gasoline

Hi Rick
By saying 'best gasoline' I hope you don't mean the highest octane rating. The octane topic has been discussed many times before and the conclusion is that 87 (for the US users) is the best for the DeLorean.
About the ethanol... I would recommend to stay away from it. It makes the gasoline more corrosive and that will not be good for the old D fuel system. 'old' meaning not designed to use that blend of gasoline.

Tom Niemczewski (still on vacation)

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:32:58 -0400
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: DMA Spring Social - Raffle Goodies!

Every day its like Christmas here!   Prizes being donated for the DMA Spring
Social just keep coming in!

So far, thanks to P.J. Grady,  DMC Houston, and several individual
contributors, we have TONS of great stuff to give away in our Raffle!

Magazines
Shirts
Hats
Accessories
Stainless Kits
Engraved Crystal Beer Glasses
Posters

Today is the deadline to pre-register for the event at a discounted
price...so don't waste any time.  Weather is supposed to be sunny and 65
Degrees!
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/social06.htm

- Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling Fan Otterstat Wires

    Hi, does anyone know where the two wires  coming from the cooling fan otterstat switch plug in to?  The  previous owner has the cooling fans running all the time, but I want to  have them controlled by engine temperature. The otterstat is still in  the rear cooling pipe but all traces of the wiring are gone.

  I pulled the relay rack with the fan relay, and nothing looks  "jury-rigged" under the relay socket so I don't know how the fans run  all the time.  The cooling fan wiring diagram shows fuse #5 going  in to one side of the otterstat and a black-orange wire out the other  side going into the fan relay.  But how is that physically  wired?  Also, assuming the otterstat wiring goes to the relay area  behind the passenger seat, what route does the wire take to get  there?  Is there a hole or conduit for the wire to route into the  car interior?

  Any advice or experience would be appreciated!

  Thanks,
  Mike #5781

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:19:10 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: front main seal leak

Hello David,

I tried the 3X5 card technique. It vibrates up and down but stays in
place, it does not get blow off. I hope this indicates that my
engine is OK. There is a strong vacuum from the small hose that
connects to the breather and if I detach the larger hose from the
air filter I feel a vacuum there too. I also observed oil seeping
from the crank shaft pulley while the engine was idling, very small
amount. The engine runs very well since I sorted out the Lambda
issues, smooth idle and good power. An engine with worn rings, valve
guides, etc would show other symptoms correct? Like burning oil?

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:04:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Today's Motor Oil

I saw that article in Hot Rod. I don't think it will matter all that
much to most of us. The PRV does not have that radical a cam or that
high a spring pressure. Most Deloreans aren't driven enough that this
would matter, and many of these additives are most useful at the
beginning for break-in. Once the parts are worn together the additives
become less important. If it does become a problem the article did
offer some alternatives. You can go to diesel oils, you can get
additives, etc. For the most part this is not as big a problem as it
may seem. Alcohol in the fuel and the price of fuel is probably a
bigger concern. BTW, along with the increasing content of alcohol is
the increased moisture content. Alcohol will hold a higher percentage
of water, kind of like adding a whole lot of "dry gas". It will absorb
water from the air. A double whammy. The alcohol wrecks the rubber
parts, and the water content corrodes the metal parts. Another good
reason to empty the fuel tank when in storage. Besides, fuels with
alcohol don't have as long a shelf life. Just one of the many things
owners of old cars will have to figure out a way to live with along
with getting parts and service. Kind of like what happened when lead
was taken out of gasoline.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_...> wrote:

> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: There are mountains of opinions about motor oil
in the archives, and more of those opinioins will not be posted in
response to this message. Only responses that directly address the
question of changes in additives for newer oils and the impact of the
lack of these additives for our engines will be posted.]

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:17:13 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: Special mailing for the DeLorean Owners Directory

     In an effort to bring the DeLorean Owners Directory up to date, we
mailed out update notices to everyone in the DeLorean Owners Directory
who gave their postal address. This was made possible through a generous
donation by the DeLorean Motor Company.  We're trying to clean up the
Directory and remove inaccurate data. If you receive one of our
mailings, you can fill it out and return it through the mail or you can
update your information on the dmcnews website:

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

You can disregard the due date on the forms. It took a little longer to
get them in the mail than anticipated. I would like them in soon though
so I can get the next issue done before the big DeLorean Car Shows.

*IF* you did not receive one of the mail-in forms AND you did NOT submit
your data to the on-line form THIS YEAR, please go to the above link and
register (or re-register) yourself into the Owners Directory (I'm
assuming this year's entries are current). You only need to fill in the
main form. Your car data will automatically be included in the next
Production Chronology (http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_chron.htm).

I want to assure everyone that the data you submit to the DOD will not
be shared with any business or group and will only appear in the Owners
Directory, available through secure download to the owners themselves.

Lastly, please give me some time to catch up on all these entries and
reply to your requests for access. I'll reply to them as quickly as I
can.

Ken Montgomery
Ken Montgomery
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:owners_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:33:39 EDT
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

Thanks for your time and effort Ken and DMCH for their  generosity.

Chuck Darling
Vin#6125

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:46:06 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Solution to Ethanol in Gasoline

We experienced that from Arizona back in 2000 and the fuel boot we make is
resistant to the ethenol additive to the point it swells about 5% which was
less  than the original boot swells in regular gas.
We also went through a learning curve with the fuel hose.
The one that we were selling (fuel hose) was good in any liquid used for
fuel and showed 0% swelling plus the boot.

We are constantly upgrading the material on the boot to conform with the
changing gas.
We did stop making the high chemical resistant hose because people shopped
price not and for lack of a better word quality.  While the hoses being  used
around are a good grade of material they do move a bit.

I am again looking into making another batch and we can see if there is
interest in a truely chemical resistant hose that will never fail in gas or
ethenol.

So the current boots we make will do fine with todays gas and we are  looking
into the future (pun intended) for future batches so  you will  always have
the best available.

A number of vendors sell these parts and I will let them chime in whenever
they wish.

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:37:21 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Dunking Booth _at_dml_ DCS

I think it is well established that both me and Marc will be in the booth.
I am betting most of the money raised will be us dunking each other!
- Videobob

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:01:28 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Marc,

The Magnaflow muffler I am using is very quiet at interstate speeds.   It is
loud in 1st, 2nd gears, then gets quieter the faster you are going in the  top
gears.  Just today I observed that at cruising speed with the throttle
fairly closed, the sound is close to OEM, in fact wind noise is worse than  engine
noise.

Perhaps in Pheasant Run we can hook up and I'll take you for a spin?

Andy

In a message dated 4/26/2006 5:34:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

These loud mufflers may be OK for the track, or
attracting  attention (like, we need more in a
DeLorean) but considering I do a lot of  long distance
driving, I want it to be quiet as possible.

Thanks for  the suggestions.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:05:24 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: front main seal leak

I tried this too and didn't observe any blow-by.  My car does not burn  oil
either, or at least not excessive.  I've never actually gone 3000 miles  in a
decent amount of time to really gauge it.  I am thinking I will just  buy a new
timing cover and seal and get one of Grady's totally reconditioned and
sleeved pulleys.  It will be an afternoon job!

Andy

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:20:34 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan Otterstat Wires

Mike,

I believe the wires for the otterstat come though the fiberglass wall in  the
same hole as the impulse coil wiring does (that's the bigger yellow
connector on the left side under the ignition resistors).  My wiring has  been messed
with too, but I bet you might find a butt-end connector or a couple  of spades
together right around there, unless they pulled the wiring for it out  the
other side, inside the car.  Good thing you are fixing this wiring,  constant
fans are a bad idea for a number of reasons.

Andy

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:19:56 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DCS2006 Driving Tour Update

As Ken has mentioned, we've been organizing the driving tour at DeLorean Car Show 2006. One part of this will take a bit of advance planning on your part. One of the major stops on the tour is the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory just south of Pheasant Run (www.fnal.gov) ( http://www.fnal.gov/pub/visiting/map/site.html) This is a US government facility that hosts scientist from around the world studying particle physics. The driving tour will take you on to the lab property, to a couple of points of interest within the area, and then you will continue on the tour. There is a very limited opportunity for a group of people to take a more personally guided tour of an hour or more. This should be very interesting to people interested in science and engineering, but there is a broad spectrum of topics that they cover as much of the Fermi site is a nature preserve as well. We'll only be able to accomdate up to about 35 people on this tour.

So - I need two things. First - I'd like to gauge the interest in this part of the event. Please contact me at swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com if you would like to go on the tour. As noted this will add over an hour to the tour and may mean that you cut short visits at the other locations, which are equally interesting to see. (See the site at www.deloreancarshow.com for more info). I will only use this initial contact to determine the level of interest.

Second - I will be taking formal sign-ups for tours during registration and around dinner time on Thursday night of the event. NOT in advance. Look for Dave or Julee Swingle during registration to get on the list and get instructions on where to be at what time.

-----Dave and Julee Swingle - Driving Tour Hosts DCS2006

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:16:54 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Ken,

Do you have a list of all the upgraded and reproduction parts you have
available?  I keep hearing about boots, door seals, dashes, fascias, etc  but I
would like to know the whole catalog!!

Andy

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:35:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If the card stays in place then you probably have a good motor. A
compression test and a differential leak-down test can also be used to
confirm the condition of the motor. If you are not burning any oil
that is also a good sign but can not always be trusted because if you
have leaks that uses oil so you can't be sure how much leaks and how
much burns. Anyway if you don't have positive pressure at idle then
you just have a problem with that seal. Maybe the pulley is on and not
concentric. If it wobbles then it won't seal.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:59:54 -0400
From: "Scott McMullan" <smcmullan_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Delorean sighting: "Ultimate Showdown"

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: You have to sit through a lot for a half-second glimpse, but there is a glimpse in there.]

A coworker forwarded me this URL.  I watched it, it is a pretty weird flash
movie.  Some people have way too much time on their hands... This thing
includes an amazing cast of characters,  but somewhere in the middle, a
DeLorean makes a half-second appearance (shortly after the care bear...), so
I thought I'd pass it on.  Not sure why it runs down Santa, but there it is.

Apologies if this has been on the list before -- I searched my logs and
didn't see it, but not all the posts seem to make it through to me.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/ultimate+showdown/#start

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:26:44 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Door Locks

John,

The door locking system on our cars is terrible in it's stock form. In
my experience, these problems are only the beginning. Your problems
could be the lock solenoids, the lock module & relays, the mechanism
inside the doors, or - most likely - a combination of all three.

I highly suggest the "Door Lock Combo Kit" Toby Peterson recommended.
Remember, the equipment in your car is 25 years old, and on top of
that the door lock system was known to be problematic from the start.
Replace it all and you shouldn't have to touch it again for many years
to come.

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

I have used ethanol enriched gas for over 15 years without problems,
but decided to find out if this had any effect on the diaphrams in the
fuel distributor when I recently had the unit rebuilt by a
Bosch-authorized rebuilder. (The rebuild was a precaution because of
sugar in the gas tank.)  Their conclusion was that the distributor was
unaffected by the ethanol.

Then . . . I read Warren's post about the swelling of the fuel pump
boot and recalled a recent experience where the outer boot would not
fit over the fuel pump boot.  I now suspect that the pump boot swelled
as Warren suggested.

However, I also feel that the best alternative is to continue using
ethanol for the detergent, performance (higher octane) and
environmental benefits and replace my existing boot (as one person
suggested) with one that is reistant to ethanol/alcohol.

We sometimes forget the number (dozens) of additives that are added to
gas or diesel for that matter, and the reasons for going to
alternatives to MTBE in particular based on the detrimental effects of
MTBE on the groundwater.  Also, where I live, ethanol is 10 cents a
gallon less than the nonrenewable alternatives.

Woody

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:02:08 -0000
From: "vin5497" <DMC5497_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Lack of power at low RPMs

All is well.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I found a little water in
one of the plug wells.  One of the plug wires under the air filter
came off a little too easy, may have been loose.  But I think it may
have been a discharged battery, because it still ran poor but got
better as I drove it, until it completely went away.  I think I'll
replace the battery with an Optima Red 34/78.

Wyatt
05497

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I had the same thing. Pull the plug caps and check for water. Get
them dry and reseat the caps well.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:22:58 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dash Light Rheostat

Ben,

Pretty nice from guys who could have just said, "Buy a replacement
from us!"

After reviewing the directions, I removed the rheostat from the car,
superglued the disk in place on the post. The stops are still intact.

I superglued the black plastic "finger holder" back in place since
the end tabs had broken off when I originally tugged too hard on the
wires.

Reconnected the wires and tested.  Worked!

Everything is reinstalled and working great.

Thanks again to those who offered suggestions on and off list.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Shipping Department" <shipping_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Take a look at delorean.com in the tech notes. There is a section
about repairing your rheostat.
> It should explain how to put it back together properly. However if
you've broken the black plastic
> that holds the "little copper fingers" you'll probably still have
improper operation. If you still need assistance feel free to contact
me directly.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:33:35 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DeLorean in the May 2006 Maxim magazine

Ben from here at DMC brought this to my attention...

Australian author Matthew Reilly is featured with his DeLorean, Lotus
and Porsche. Not sure where he bought the car, but we've been
supplying his mechanic down under with parts to get it up to snuff.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:05:29 -0400
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: DCS convoy from the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic

It's that time again..  I know the DMA spring social is this weekend,
and unfortunately I can't attend (again).   But I need to plan my trip
to DCS-PR, and would like to know when/how/where the convoy from the
DMA is going to meet.

Are we going to make it from Cherry Hill to Chicago in one day, or
split it up into two?

What day would we depart?

It is only slightly shorter for me to drive straight from Boston to
Chicago, so for only 50 extra miles, I'd like to join the DMA convoy,
but I need to start making plans now.

Could you DMA guys please discuss a plan this weekend at the spring
social, and let us know as soon as possible what the consensus is?

thanks,
-Hank #1619

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It goes through the connectors next to the ignition
coil.

IIRC, they are both on the top left connector
(Yellow).

You may want to get yourself a wiring diagram.