From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:12 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3218

1. Re: DCS convoy from the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

2. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

3. FS: powdercoated OEM muffler brackets
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

5. Re: DCS convoy from the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Ethanol in Gasoline
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Speedo Cable Support
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Speedo Cable Support
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Speedo Cable Support
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Looking for Dark Grey Carpet Match
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. DMA SPRING SOCIAL LAST CALL!!!
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Motorized bonnet action
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:26:02 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: DCS convoy from the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic

I to am in the same situation... no spring social but plan to join the convoy...

The earliest I would be able to leave is the evening of the 14th.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:55:30 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Ethanol in Gasoline

I'm wondering if several responses to this question were from areas that are or were using M.T.B.E. instead of ethanol. This would attack rubber more than ethanol. I only have my own experiance to reflect on but I recently removed the fuel tank components which had almost 90,000 miles on them. They were all in very good condition and I've used ethanol in my car many many times. I acknowledge that I never let the car sit for long periods with it in the tank and the ethanol was always used on  road trips where the fuel moved through the system every day or two. I guess what I'm saying is there isn't any problem with a 10% ethanol mix if the car is being driven consistently, like on a road trip. Many times we have no choice when refueling on the road. The problem down the road is politicians are planning ( it's already on the books for 2012 in Minnesota ) to go to a 20% ethanol mix.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:51:06 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: FS: powdercoated OEM muffler brackets

Group,

I have for sale both lower OEM muffler brackets which have been powdercoated semi-gloss black.  The are clean, straight, and have just a couple of scratches or dings. They also have 2 year old hanger bushings installed with new hardware.  They were redone a couple of years ago and probably have 5K miles since.  I no longer need them and am taking offers until Monday when i will put them on ebay.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:55:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I predict you will see a lot of changes in what we call gasoline in the future. As it gets more and more expensive the manufacurers and the government will find all kinds of things to put in it. Already new cars must be able to accomodate things that were not even known about in 1981. Unfortunately it will be necessary to upgrade older cars to be able to use the new fuels. Aviation has had problems like this for some time. It will only get worse. The Delorean vendors will have to offer upgraded components for those of us in areas where these blended fuels ares sold and drivers have no choice but to put that cr-p in their cars. For the most part these blends will be less effiecint but less polluting (at least that is how they try to stick us with it).
What is really going on is the gas companies make even more money on additives and the farmers get big subsudies. That is why you see most of the ethanol in the mid-west now. Expect it to come to your area soon. As for me, I am looking seriously at the hybrids for my next daily driver.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I am sure things will come together for a DMA convoy to DCS.

If you are a DMA member, you can join our mailing list
at:

It is a good bet we will be discussing the plans on that list.

If you have not renewed your membership for 2006, now is the time!  We will be scrubbing the member list shortly after the spring social (THIS WEEKEND!)

http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/membership/membership.htm

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:46:50 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread seems to be wandering from discussion about the specific DeLorean impacts to discussion about other aspecs of the merits (or otherwise) of blended fuels. Future posts that don't have clear DeLorean-specific content will be dropped on this thread.]

Woody,

Actually the ethanol reduces performance.  It will decrease your gas
mileage because it doesn't burn as well as non-ethanol fuel.  Higher
octane means nothing for performance unless the engine is set up to
take advantage of higher octane.  The DMC engine is NOT.  In fact the
octane is added to retard the explosion under the higher pressures of a
high performance engine so that the fuel does not pre-ignite from that
pressure.  You will also notice that just because fuel has ethanol, it
does not mean it is higher octane.  You can get 87 octane E10 in the
ND/MN area.

As for environmental benefits, that's questionable as well. For
refiners that use crude oil to run their ethanol plants, they use more
crude oil per unit of E85 than the E85 is supposed to save, so it
really doesn't reduce emissions or foreign oil dependence.  Now if all
the refiners were using US-mined coal... that would be different.
Granted it DOES increase the economy of states that produce the corn,
and it also gets people THINKING about conserving fuel, but that's
really about it.  Besides the subsidies!

Not to say that ethanol is bad, but I just wanted to clarify.

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:28:28 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Speedo Cable Support

Looks like my lower speedo cable support has either broken or come
apart. I found the "coat hanger" dangling from the cable and clanking
a bit as I drove yesterday.  Does this piece snap in someplace or has
it sheared off?

Is the support really required?  I know it was added, presumably for
good reason.  I also suspect there are plenty of '81 cars doing just
fine without it.  My lower cable seems fairly long and droopy.

The outer sheath of the cable has pulled back a couple of inches from
the connection at the angle drive.  Seems to be working fine and the
cable itself does not appear to be exposed.  Any concerns here?

Thanks,

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:39:39 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo Cable Support

My car does not have the support (vin 2277) and the speedo has
never worked right. I expected to find that the angle drive was
toast but instead it only needed lubrication. I observed that the
sheath was pulled back a little from the cable allowing the cable
to droop. I reversed the cable so that the good end is connected
to the angle drive. So far the speedo has been working more
reliably but I do not expect  to fix it completely until I install the
support and the shorter cable.

Nathan
2277

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_...>

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:29:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Zip-tie it to or near the brake line to take the stress off the angle
drive. Replacing that metal bracket (if you had the one that looks
like coat-hangar wire) is a pain because you have to open the brake
line.

The pull-back on the sheath is pretty normal, just keep it well-
greased so it doesn't freeze up and eat the angle drive.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:24:25 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Looking for Dark Grey Carpet Match

All,

I am looking for a very close match for carpet for a Black interior
car.  I need to make a new backboard to install some speakers and I
don't want to cut up the orginal board to do it.

So if anyone can tell me where to find the right color carpet I would
be very gratefull.

Thank You,

Bernie
VIN 4045 and 6704

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:07:40 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMA SPRING SOCIAL LAST CALL!!!

This is the last call for the DMA’s Annual Spring Social. Friday night
dinner: Meet at Ramada in Flemington and we head over to the Country Griddle
in Flemington for a pleasant dinner.

Saturday: 10am at Car Tek on 202 north in Flemington, NJ. All members eat
free lunch! We have 24 feet of gourmet hoagies + side dishes!!! Doors will
be adjusted and cars will be looked at on the lift. Food, fun, music, and
elections. There will also be a raffle with some truly unique prizes this
year!!! We’ll wrap the activities up around 4:30-5-ish and head back to the
Hotel to chill out. Then we leave at 6:30 for the formal dinner at
Giovanni’s. You can pay at the door if you want, but there are a limited
amount of seats available. We’re not at capacity yet, but we’re close!

Sunday is Car Show day at Englishtown’s Raceway Park & swap meet. Show your
car and walk the aisles and shop for stuff.

Well, hope to see ya at the social!!!

---Dan
DMA Activities Director

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:09:24 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Motorized bonnet action

Many DeLorean owners have installed Toby Petersen's Trunk-a-loft Kit.
It's a great alternative to pulling the release lever under the dash,
and it's wise to have a backup just in case you break your trunk
release cable. But I wanted my bonnet to  do more than just unlatch. I
wanted to motorize its motion from a fully closed to fully open
position. To see a video of my remote control power-bonnet using a
linear actuator and microcontroller for motor control, click the link
below:

www.deloreanmacmini.com

It will take a while for the quicktime movie to load. It's about 5
minutes long. My best advice is: click the link, go grab a beer, and
when you come back it will be ready to play.

This car and the soon-to-be Mac Mini DeLorean integration will be at
Ken's Show in Chicago over Father's Day weekend. Hope to see you there!

-Ryan Brandys