From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 10:19 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3222

1. Re: Celebration Car Show Pictures
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. DMA Spring Social - Thanks!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: i fitted the wings b cool update kit (snip)
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>

5. Craig Stereo stuck
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

6. Re: Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. cleaning and polishing of D
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

8. Re: Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Celebration Car Show Pictures
From: "G R" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Need to borrow a coolant pressure tester
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Illinois Emission Testing
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. luggage rack
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: Keeping it Clean while adding power
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Re: Celebration Car Show Pictures
From: "Ken Baker" <kenbaker1265_at_dml_msn.com>

15. Where to route the stainless clutch line??
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. speedo cable lube
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: i fitted the wings b cool update kit desighned by harold mcelraft,and need help!
From: "blknight05" <blknight05_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

18. How to change the clutch engagement?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Re: speedo cable lube
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: DMA Spring Social - Thanks!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Re: How to change the clutch engagement?
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: cleaning and polishing of D
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Where to route the stainless clutch line??
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Need to borrow a coolant pressure tester
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:02:19 -0000
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Celebration Car Show Pictures

Those are some great pics Gary... In the pic with you and her in the car, I was standing in the background facing the other way... D'oh!!

-Brandon Shelton
VIN 4205
Orlando, FL.

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMA Spring Social - Thanks!

Great time.. Thanks to Dan, our new president, for another great event.  You pulled some strings with the weather too, Nice!

Also, Thanks Karen, Kevin, and Cheryl for all of their hard work to make things go smoothly.

AND...  Thanks to Ken Koncelik for driving out from Ohio to show off the raffle car, and perform tech inspections.

AND...  Thanks Dave T for doing the door adjustments.

Oh, and....  Thanks to Ken (again), DMCH, PJ Grady, David Heise, and Bob Branys for their contributions to the raffle.

I am sure I have forgotten some people..  Sorry!  The day outside with the tree pollen took it's toll on me, and I did not get much sleep last night.  :)

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:23:14 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.

Drove the car yesterday to and from an AZ-D tech event. No
transmission problems. Parked it in the garage as usual when I got
home. After shutting off the engine, I placed the car into 1st gear,
released the e-brake, got out and went on with my day.

This morning got up at the crack of dawn to wash the D. Went to place
the transmission in neutral to start it. I engaged the clutch, but the
gear shift would not come out of first. Tried several times, but no
luck. I started the car with the clutch engaged. The car did not lurch
forward, so the clutch is disengaging the tranny when the pedal is
depressed. I drove the car forward about a foot (as far as I could go
forward inside) to see it that would unstick the shifter. It did not.

What am I up against here? Any ideas?

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:41:58 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>
Subject: Re: i fitted the wings b cool update kit (snip)

Harold and List - The short circuit was found to be caused by a
defective relay that was included in our kit.  One of the relay pins
dislodged from its mounting during insertion into the relay socket,
and shorted across some internal components in the relay housing.  I
am assuming at this time that it was a random manufacturing defect in
this particular relay, rather than a design defect.  These relays have
performed very well in all applications that we have used them for.  I
will be contacting the manufacturer on Monday with information
regarding this failure, and will be asking for their service
experience with these relays.  Further, I will keep the List apprised
of the results of my investigation into this failure.  I have been
operating this installation in Winged1 for nearly 10 years with no
issues whatsoever, and our installation is based on the sound and
proven design of Mr. McElraft.  As he noted, Harold is in no way
connected with DeLorean Parts Northwest, but he is a highly valued
contributor to the entire DeLorean community.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_...>

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:24:52 +0100
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Craig Stereo stuck

Hi Guys,

Ive been using my craig stereo with an MP3 tape adaptor to play the iPod
through but after the last time it ejected it will not let me put a tape in.
The best way I can describe it is, its as if part of the player has ejected
and the other half is still set as if a tape is installed so it wont let the
tape carriage actually travel further into the unit to drop down and play
the tape.

I reckon its prob just one of the mechanisms has not unlocked but donít know
how to unlatch it.

Any ideas.

Ps: before anyone suggests it, I donít want to upgrade to a new stereo as I
have only just replaced my old Craig with this one to keep the originality
and with the MP3 adaptors and Modulators about its a lot easier now.

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:03:27 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Manual transmission is stuck in 1st.

Dan,

Did you jack the car up and get under it to check out the linkage going  into
the tranny? Maybe something is broken or came apart.  Also check the  pivot
bolt - It is in a hole in the frame about in the middle of the car that
connects two levers that run front to back.  This bolt is a notorious  source of
transmission problems.

I am a little confused though - do you mean the gear shifter will not budge
out of the 1st gear position, or can you move the shifter through all the
motions but it won't change any gears?

If you see nothing wrong with the linkage, then prepare to drop the
transmission.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:09:27 -0400
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: cleaning and polishing of D

Hi:

I'm a new owner of a D (6944) a little over a month.  Can anyone give me the best method of cleaning and polishing my new baby?  I know that they have stainless steel cleaner in spray cans (expensive) is there a better method?
Any ideas will be most appreciated.

ED
6944

rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:22:31 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> Did you jack the car up and get under it to check out the linkage
going  into
> the tranny? Maybe something is broken or came apart.  Also check the
 pivot
> bolt - It is in a hole in the frame about in the middle of the car
that
> connects two levers that run front to back.  This bolt is a
notorious  source of
> transmission problems.

I have not investigated anything yet. Was not sure where to begin.

> I am a little confused though - do you mean the gear shifter will
not budge
> out of the 1st gear position, or can you move the shifter through
all the
> motions but it won't change any gears?

The gear shifter will not budge out of the 1st gear position. There is
a little play in the shifter in it's current position, but when you
engage the clutch and attempt to move the shifter from the 1st
position down into neutral, it meets strong resistance.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:54:10 -0400
From: "G R" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Celebration Car Show Pictures

It was a fun day.  I wish I was able to stay longer, Sean was getting bored, not a lot for him to do.  We got there at 9:00, so he was a good sport to last until 2:00, given the 4 hours of travel time that day back and forth.  I would have liked to go to the BBQ, sorry I missed it.  Next time I'm going to come up by myself, so I'll be able to be more flexible on the plans.

  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com<mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>, "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_...> wrote:

  > For those at today's event, when the Makes & Model magazine girl posed
  > for some pictures at the show, it looked like a sea of paparazzi with
  > camera phones snapping pics of Brad and Angelina.  I of course, being
  > a good Delorean owner, was prepared with my regular camera of high
  > quality resolution, and have posted the pics in the
  > folder "Celebration 4/29/06".  My car is the first and last picture.
  > Of course, being the smooth guy that I am, after our picture was taken
  > in the car, I cooly exited the vehicle, caught my flip flop on the
  > door sill carpet, and almost ended up face first in the pavement.  I
  > can only hope it wasn't noticed :)

  moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com<mailto:moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

  For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com<http://www.dmcnews.com/>

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:27:43 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need to borrow a coolant pressure tester

Does anyone in Los Angeles have a pressure tester I could borrow?

Nathan

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:46:57 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Illinois Emission Testing

Marty,

I was very glad to hear about the new exemption, so now
I do not have to register all my DeLoreans as "antiques"
to get the exemption (in Illinois).  I just wish they had
made that decision last year, but at least it's been made.

Also glad to hear your turbo passed its last test, which
is better than (at least) one IL DeLorean did last year
with the DMCH kit.  He passed before he installed the kit
but could not pass afterward.  It's all a moot point now.

(snip)

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:16:25 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: luggage rack

Today I installed the luggage rack and I have to say that the
installation went smoothly. As advised on here to read the directions
twice; measure and drill only once.  Great advice.  I did run into a
problem though.. When I cut the bottom of the rubber that the louvers
sit on the hinges would not work.  Cutting it as instructed the layer
over the top was too thick to allow the hinge to open and lay flat so
the luggage rack can be mounted.  I just ended up cutting the rubber
around each lugage rack mounting hinge and it works fine.  What did I
do wrong?  Thanks,
Roy

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:52:04 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Keeping it Clean while adding power

James,

  No, I'm not running the stock/original cat. It won't fit with the single
turbo setup. But I am running a universal/aftermarket style cat, kind of like
what you have in your header kits, and a muffler in a custom exhaust system I
built for the car. You can't pass emissions without a cat in place.

  Marty

   From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Keeping it Clean while adding power (and Emission Testing)

Regarding your turbo setup and keeping it clean, are you running the
stock catalytic converter?

James

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:30:39 -0400
From: "Ken Baker" <kenbaker1265_at_dml_msn.com>

Where are these pictures? There is not link in the email to find them.

Best Regards,

Ken Baker
Sales Executive
Rolls-Royce/Bentley Fort Lauderdale
561-866-1601
www.bentleyfortlauderdale.com

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:15:07 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Where to route the stainless clutch line??

It will not fit into the crevice where the old one was. Did you guys
just let it run along the outside of the frame in between the
fiberglass and the frame or is there another way?

Nathan

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:02:19 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: speedo cable lube

Hey Group,

What's the general consensus these days on how to lube the speedo  cables?  I
have seen gear lube and white lithium grease as possible lubes,  but I want
to know what's best.  I have a feeling my car is going to eat  its 3rd lower
cable soon because it jumps a little at low speeds and I am  starting to hear a
clicking sometimes.  The cable is the newer shorter one  and it is routed
correctly with the metal brace installed.  My angle drive  is a Grady Hardcore
Series.  I think I just need to remove my cable and  Lambda Counter and lube them
up again for the year.

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 00:04:56 -0000
From: "blknight05" <blknight05_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: i fitted the wings b cool update kit desighned by harold mcelraft,and need help!

thanks alot for the diagram mate much aprieciated all my wires are
in the correct position,but once i got my aircon cuting in again im
going to do the same as you and use a seperate  15 amp circuit
breaker for each fan,this circuit youv desighned seems really good
and should solve the deloreans bad wiring for the fans etc

          im starting to think that my air con problem might be
coincidence to the bad relay{or i hope it is}but i need to fault
find,
now from the diagram i noticed the wire from the compreser trigers
the relays to come on,but what trigers the pump to come on,then i
supose i need to trace that back to the mode switch so i can
eliminate all possible causes,

any advice well welcomed

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:05:47 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: How to change the clutch engagement?

Group,

I am interested in adjusting where in my clutch pedal travel the clutch
engages/disengages. Right now I feel the engagement is too far 'up' on the  pedal,
like it grabs with only an inch or two before your foot is off the  pedal.
I'd rather have it engage closer to the floor.  I have a  centerforce clutch,
stainless line, and all new hydraulics.  I just had the  tranny out and the
clutch looked like brand-new.  Is there anything I can  do?

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:19:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The way I would start is to disconnect the linkage at the transmission
and see if the problem is the linkage or the transmission itself. It
will be obvious where to go from there.

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:26:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: speedo cable lube

To lube the cables you remove the inner cable and lay it out on some
newspaper. It should lay out in a smooth circle with no straight
sections or kinks. If it is OK reinsert lubricating it as you go with
the black graphite speedometer cable lubricant. Do not use white
grease or gear lube. When you go to the auto supply they will have it
there in a little bottle.
 For the angle drive you remove the cable and spin the angle drive to
expose the smalll screw in the side. It is easier if you remove the
front left tire. Then with a small hand grease gun you squirt in some
heavy oil or grease.
 The Lambda counter does not need to be lubricated.

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:45:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: DMA Spring Social - Thanks!

The DMA Spring Social was a great event this year. We had a lot of
cars, many of them new members. I did some door adjustments. What I am
finding mainly is that when an owner finally puts in the new struts
the torsion bars have to be unwound at least a spline, sometimes 2
because previous adjustments were done to compensate for weak struts.
It is VERY BAD for the doors to bounce when you open them. One owner
remarked "It would pull my wife right out of the car!"
 The other thing I always find is that owners, especially new owners
have no idea what the tire pressures are. Too many cars came with very
low pressures in the tires. A few had too much. Not as dangerous but
not good. Tire pressure is one of the simpler things even a novice
owner can do himself. All it takes is a good tire gauge and a trip to
the gas station. The wrong tire pressure is unsafe, wastes fuel,
prematurely wears tires, and ruins the ride quality. This goes for ANY
car, not just Deloreans. There is no excuse for anyone to be driving
on front tires with 11 lbs of air in them! Or rear tires with 40 lbs.
On one car I did the owner complained the doors would bang when he
went over bumps. After adjusting his tire pressures the car ran MUCH
better! As a general rule you can figure a tire loses 1 lb of air each
month so if you put the car away for the winter you can be as much as
6 lbs low in the Spring. Tires should be checked once a week but just
do it once a month and you will be OK. Most are NEVER checked. You
cannot judge a radial tire by how it looks until it is VERY low.
Before you take your Delorean out next time go check you tires! Don't
forget the spare. Tires should be checked cold in the morning BEFORE
you drive on them. If you find one tire is always low it probably has
a nail in it. Get it fixed before it gets worse.

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:48:52 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: How to change the clutch engagement?

Andy,

You could install the adjustable link rod hat John hervey sells on his site Or I should say,
clutch master cylinder linkage rod. You may be able to make the adjustments you need by
doing that. I happen to have one of Rob Gradys adjustable clevis links he used to sell but
are no longer avaliable. I also happen to have the Centerforce clutch in my car but mine
has the weights installed on the diapragm spring. Center force no longer does this
because of a design change made by Valeo several years ago. My clutch disengages at
about one third downward pedal travel. I have driven a car that had a severally worn out
clutch that would engage and disengage just of the the floor which ment the clutch was
barely disengaging in order too shift. yes, he had shifting problems. That all went away
with the new clutch we installed last year. Now his pedal engages about 1/3 travel  now.

Dennis

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 01:58:57 -0000
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: cleaning and polishing of D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "rdcejc_at_dml_..." <rdcejc_at_dml_...> wrote:
>five bucks is expensive??? The Stainless steel magic cleaner at like home
depot and such is five bucks a can and it lasts for months...Dave..

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 02:09:24 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Where to route the stainless clutch line??

That is correct.  You can usually put a few tie-wraps around it and the A/C line then with
them zipped loosely, slide them into position the best you can. Then sinch them up tight and
snipe the tail.  Also, the area that is tight where the gap between the frame and fiberglass is
smaller than the stainless lines is also doable by using a large flat screw driver or pry bar to
spread the gap just enough to get the line through it.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:29:24 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Need to borrow a coolant pressure tester

Any Auto Zone store loans them for free with deposit.  Be advised you
must plug your coolant overflow line to use their (any?) tester or it
may not hold pressure.

Tom