From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 9:54 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3224

1. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION STARTING OUT IN 2ND TILL IT WARMS UP???? HELP PLEASE
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: speedo cable lube
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

3. Anyone know of a good brake upgrade?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Motorized bonnet action
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

5. 2006 DCS Chicago Caravan from Mid-Atlantic area
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

6. Re: Re: Illinois Emission Testing
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

7. RE: Re: cleaning and polishing of D
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Re: cleaning and polishing of D
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Problem with new Master Clutch Cylinder
From: "brian10579" <bseefeldt_at_dml_ruekert-mielke.com>

10. Cleaning and polishing of D
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Lambo Gallardo owner gawks at Delorean..
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Problem with new Master Clutch Cylinder
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Re: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION STARTING OUT IN 2ND TILL IT WARMS UP???? HELP PLEASE
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: Problem with new Master Clutch Cylinder
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

15. Re: Lambo Gallardo owner gawks at Delorean..
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Motorized bonnet action
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

18. Re: Solution to Ethanol in Gasoline
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Window wiper stalk...what car?
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

21. RE: Cleaning and polishing of D
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

22. Re: Motorized bonnet action
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: speedo cable lube
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

24. Re: speedo cable lube
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>

25. re: lubing the angle drive.
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:30:32 -0000
From: "vin2450" <svw_coco_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION STARTING OUT IN 2ND TILL IT WARMS UP???? HELP PLEASE

Hi list, I'm looking for some much needed help with my automatic transmission situation.

I'll start from the beginning; about 4 years ago I got the car back on the road after being in storage for about 10years.  My 1st drive with the car indicated I had a transmission problem (shifted from 3rd to 2nd erratically with no apparent pattern) so with some help of the members on the list I was told it was probably the shift computer on the side of the transmission causing this to happen.  I followed the info on the technical page and replaced the capacitors and transistors as well as added microfarad caps to the boards; I re- installed the computer and had no issues for the 1st two years.
Last fall I started noticing that the transmission was intermittently (but eventually did this on every cold start) starting out in 2nd gear until the transmission warmed up (2-3miles) everything worked fine during the drive until the transmission cooled off again (it eventually caused the clutches to burn out in every gear which caused the transmission to slip and required a complete overhaul).  The transmission has now been rebuilt and put back in the car but it has the same symptoms, so of course it has not been driven.  I have heard of other people on the list with the same issue but have never seen the cause or correction.  Your help and info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stephane

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:38:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: speedo cable lube

There can be an honest difference of opinion on the type of lubrication for speedometer cables. I have seen all kinds of stuff used. I prefer to use "Speedometer Cable Lubricant" which is a fancy name for graphite mixed in a very thin oil. It will not cause a lot of drag when it is very cold and it will permeate the cable and work it's way all up and down the cable. It is messy to use but it always worked for me. If in doubt call a speedometer shop that services the old style (cable driven, not electronic) speedometers and ask for their advice. They would know, they fix them when they break! The 90W gear oil or grease is good for the angle drive. I prefer grease, it will not leak as fast out of the angle drive.

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Anyone know of a good brake upgrade?

I can go fast now, but after a few high-speed stops the brakes are useless.

http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/screammachine.zip

I know there was a front brake upgrade kit from Europe, does anyone have any experience with it?  I don't even know if it is still available.

There was also rumor that Don at DMC-GG had something, maybe I will give him a call...  but I'd rather get opinions from unbiased customers. :)

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:03:26 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Motorized bonnet action

Hey Kevin,

yes the bonnet takes about 10 seconds to open. this limit is set by the
motor speed within the autoloc linear actuator. the way these
mechanisms work, they are high torque motors with a gearing that makes
them strong yet slow. i tried running about 14 volts through it and it
doesn't speed it up, so it must have an internal regulator.

besides, the slower it opens, the cooler it looks.

that doesn't mean that a faster actuator doesn't exist out there, but
these actuators run about $200-400 depending on brand, and I've only
worked with the one i got.

In terms of space, the actuator when closed is about 18 inches long,
and has an eight inch actuator rod that extends it to about 26. the
motor controller and stamp processor fit in a space about the size of
your fist. As you will see below, those are optional.

Hey Allistair,

if i were to sell a kit to interface with Toby Peterson's wings-a-loft
remote, it would probably run about $600 for the custom-fabricated
brackets, mounting hardware, linear actuator, stamp board and software,
motor controller, wiring and installation instructions.

If you wanted a manual window switch in the cockpit, you'd have to hold
down the switch to move the door, just like a power window. but you
wouldn't need the motor controller or stamp. This kit would only
include the custom-fabricated brackets, mounting hardware, linear
actuator, wiring and installation instructions, and would probably run
about $350, depending upon the cost of fabricating the brackets. That's
the tricky and expensive part.

My final goal for this car is to have it be a video-podcast-mobile. By
mounting an iSight camera on the dashboard, I could interview my
passenger while we cruise around. The mac mini in the bonnet would
record the video on the fly.

If this DeLorean podcast thing really takes off, i'd be happy to take a
look at whatever A/V content you've got and possibly include it in any
future episodes.

I also have to give Allistair props for being another DeLorean owner
and Mac user! DeLoreans and Macs have a lot in common. They are both
iconoclastic, rebelling against the iron hands of General Motors and
Microsoft, respectively.

-Ryan Brandys

www.deloreanmacmini.com

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:48:53 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: 2006 DCS Chicago Caravan from Mid-Atlantic area

I spoke to many people about the caravan subject at this weekend's DMA
spring social, and it looks like we will be organizing 3 caravans for the
drive to Chicago:

1. People who want to drive out Wed
2. People who want to drive out Wed and stop overnight
3. People who want to drive out Thursday

I am going to suggest routes and meeting places for each, and ask for
volunteers to head each of the 3 caravans
It is TOO impossible to have everyone in one caravan due to driving
preferences, personal schedules, etc not to mention It will be too slow with
that many cars.
I will also try to make a checklist for members of the caravan to go over to
make sure that they/their car are ready for the trip  (suggestions
welcome....2 way radio, car inspected, full tank of gas at initial meeting
spot, spare alternator belt, etc...)

I will post more info and details in a couple of days on the DMA website
with more details.

- Kevin Abato
  DMA Activities Director

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:11:40 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Illinois Emission Testing

What is this new exemption in Illinois?

Bob

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:34:34 -0500
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: cleaning and polishing of D

Stainless Steel Magic works great!  I love that stuff...

Corey
2423

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:09:33 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have literally tried every Stainless steel cleaning product that I
have seen (and continue to see in stores) - anything that does not
please me on the DeLorean goes inside to use on the sink and other SS
stuff indoors.

My personal favorite is the Stainless Steel Magic aerosol product.
http://www.magicamerican.com/buy.shtml shows a list of the places that
you should be able to buy it.

Michael

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 17:33:10 -0000
From: "brian10579" <bseefeldt_at_dml_ruekert-mielke.com>
Subject: Problem with new Master Clutch Cylinder

I have done a complete clutch system replacement with all new parts.
All parts were installed correctly.  I add DOT4 fluid to the clutch
reservoir and depress the pedal a few times.  Most of the fluid
overflows out the top and goes to the floor.  After that the cylinder
will not accept any more fluid and the pedal doesn't push any fluid in
any direction.

I have read previous posts concerning a check valve in the clutch
master that prevents fluid from returning to the reservoir when the
clutch pedal was depressed.  Could this check valve be stuck?  Could
it be installed backwards?  Is there any way to repair this myself or
should I take this up with the vendor?  I do have a voicemail in to
the vendor and am awaiting a response there too.

I appreciate any insight anyone can give.

Thanks everyone.

Brian
Vin #10579

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cleaning and polishing of D

Hi,

  I bought a can of aerosol stainless steel cleaner from Home Depot some time ago and didn't like it very much.   It left a VERY oily residue on the car.  I think all the Home Depots stock this brand so if it is the same, I would suggest you spray a little on it and see if you like it.   IMHO it was way too greasy but perhaps we are looking at different products.

  Tom

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:15:35 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lambo Gallardo owner gawks at Delorean..

Erik,

You didn't ask him if he was interested in a trade?? ;-)

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:39:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with new Master Clutch Cylinder

I've seen this - a bad "new" master right out of the box. It means
that the internal check valve isn't check-valving. You may be able to
open it up and find what's stuck, but if it's new from a vendor you
ought to get it replaced. I don't believe that there's any way to install the check valve backwards. I'm hoping this isn't a trend with the current units......[maybe you got the one that my friend here returned as defective a couple months ago]

I'm assuming that you did open the slave bleeder to try and bleed the system, but even if you didn't the master should not be pressurizing back in to the reservoir. It was pretty messy.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 19:53:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Your shift computer is still malfunctioning. Since you say you
replaced the capacitors you probably have some bad solder joints.
Generally they will be the ones on the ribbon cables between the
boards and/or the ones going to the cables to the bulkhead connector.
You can choose to try repairing them or opt for another shift computer
(which will probably fail eventually anyway).

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:04:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I too, have seen "bad" new cylinders. Often this is because the
cylinder is not properly bench-bled and air is still in the master
cylinder. Pull the clutch mater cylinder off and put it in a vise.
Hook up a small tube from the outlet to the resovoir and pump the
cylinder till the air stops bubbling. If it IS defective you will know
immediatly and you don't have to guess if it is anything else. Once
you do get it working and bench-bled put it back on the car. To
properly bleed the clutch you have to move a lot of fluid through it.
Don't stop when you stop seeing air come out. Keep going and you will
get more air out and a stiffer, higher pedal. Same procedure for the
brakes. Try to use Castrol DOT 4 GTLMA.

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:09:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Oh, yeah.  I asked.  You can imagine what his response was.  Thats why I drove the Delorean home.

  Erik

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:29:09 -0500
From: "corey ooms" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Another Mac using DeLorean owner right here!

Corey

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 16:52:39 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"

As some of you may (or may not know) Marc Levy disassembled one of his
Deloreans several years ago to install a faster engine.  Several unforeseen
circumstances caused him to delay completion of the project, and ultimately
scrap his original concept altogether and start over with a new engine and
design.

Marc was able to finish his engine upgrade 1 1/2 days before the DMA spring
social.  He was kind enough to offer anyone who was brave enough to go for a
ride in his new 270hp Delorean.  Thanks to Jon Brodi, we have this video
clip of my "takeoff" with Marc.   Let me just say...this car is FAST!

The video clip can be downloaded here:
<http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/screammachine.zip>
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/screammachine.zip

Enjoy!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:10:15 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Solution to Ethanol in Gasoline

> Do you have a list of all the upgraded and reproduction parts you have
> available?  I keep hearing about boots, door seals, dashes, fascias, etc  but I
> would like to know the whole catalog!!

Yeah, me too!

I'd also be interested in an upgraded fuel hose. Having found my fuel
hose in several pieces in the bottom of the tank when I bought my car,
a new one that lasts "forever" would be a nice thing. Ken, put me on
your list and let me know if you do another run of them.

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 21:23:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"

Pictures man, we need pictures. With the engine cover open!

Looks great though, nice job Marc, well worth the 3 year (+) wait!
So - when does the kit come out?

Dave S

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 22:28:04 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Window wiper stalk...what car?

Hey guys
  Anyone know what car the window wiper stalk is out of? I checked on www.delorean.com and it looks as though the indicator/wiper stalk is all one piece...and its $104 :-(
  Anybody have any experience with this one?

  Thanks
  Thomas

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 17:32:52 -0400
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Cleaning and polishing of D

Thanks Tom,
I just put a little bit on in a inconspicuous spot and see if I like it.
Have you found anything better?
ED
6944

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:36:29 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Ryan,

Would you be willing to provide some close-up shots of the mounting
brackets so we can see how it's mounted?

Also, why the complicated basic stamp for control? Wouldn't some
relays and limit switches accomplish the job?

Lastly - what happens if the linear actuator dies? Would you still be
able to open the hood?

Cool setup, by the way. :)

-the other Ryan

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:04:29 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

The technique I've been using for the last twenty years is to pull the inner
cable out and immerse it into a gallon jug of 90W gear oil, pull it out and
immediately  re-insert it back into the cable sheathing. The cable is
totally covered with oil and enough oil is transferred back inside the
speedo to coat the insides also.

The angle drive requires the removal of the left front wheel and
disconnecting the speedo from it. Then rotate the angle drive so the little
screw is facing up. Remove  the screw and using a standard pump action oil
can squirt some oil in the screw hole. Replace the screw, rotate the angle
drive back into position, reattach the speedo and front wheel and your good
for another 3,000 miles.
Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:42:24 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>

Andy - From my perspective, the best solution is a stainless steel
braided, teflon lined speedo cable that doesn't require periodic
lubrication due to the liner.  You said that you wanted to know what's
the best solution ...

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:
> What's the general consensus these days on how to lube the speedo
cables?  I have seen gear lube and white lithium grease as possible
lubes,  but I want to know what's best.

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:46:51 -0700
From: "Alan Roberts" <twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: re: lubing the angle drive.

A humble suggestion.  Go to your local auto store and buy a variety pack of Metric lube nipples.  Remove the lube nipple on the angle drive and find a right angle one in the variety pack that has the same threads.  Put in angle drive.  Now you don't have to take the wheel off to lube the angle drive.

Al Roberts
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4639/#16049