From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:51 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3225

1. RE: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine" - Photos
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

2. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>

3. Re: Cleaning and polishing of D
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

4. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Anyone know of a good brake upgrade?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

6. An Interesting Delorean Link
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>

8. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: An Interesting Delorean Link
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: speedo cable lube
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. "Here's what I did." - Stainless Steel Regraining
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

14. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Mike <milesperhour79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Anyone know of a good brake upgrade?
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

17. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

19. Re: Martin's "Scream Machine"
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

20. Re: Jim Strickland's rotary "Scream Machine"
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

21. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Jim Strickland's rotary "Scream Machine"
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. 2006 DCS Chicago Caravan from Long Island-New York area
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Detail/Tech Day on May 13 in Houston Area
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 21:06:45 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine" - Photos

Some of you wanted pictures of Marc's engine swap project...here they are!
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/members/levy/levy.htm

The video clip can be downloaded here:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/screammachine.zip

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:36:32 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com>
Subject: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"

The burning question now becomes - who has the fastest DeLorean in the measured 1/4 mile?  Is it Marc L. or Ed G.?  Is there somebody else out there lurking with an incredibly fast DeLorean?  It seems like we need to have a drag race to find out.  What fun!

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_...> wrote:

> As some of you may (or may not know) Marc Levy disassembled one of his
> Deloreans several years ago to install a faster engine.  Several
unforeseen circumstances caused him to delay completion of the project, and ultimately scrap his original concept altogether and start over with a new engine and design.

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 00:15:53 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning and polishing of D

The Home Depot stuff leaves an oily residue, but gives it a very shiny finish.  If the residue is a problem though, Weimers at WalMart gives a good cleaning with little oily residue, but it's not as shiny.  So you have a tradeoff.  I like the shine, so I use the Home Depot stuff, works great on the Louvers too.  Where in the world did you see something for $19.95 (though I have my suspicion).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "rdcejc_at_dml_..." <rdcejc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Thanks Tom,
> I just put a little bit on in a inconspicuous spot and see if I
like it.
> Have you found anything better?
> ED
> 6944

Depot some

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 17:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Marc Levy's "Scream Machine"

Kit?  oy!!

Sorry, it was not as "bolt in" as I would have liked.
I'd be happy to offer advice to someone else looking to "copy" me.

Kevin took lots of photos, even some with the car on the lift.  I am sure he will have them posted to the DMA site soon.  Ken also mentioned something about a article in DCS Magazine.

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 01:04:33 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone know of a good brake upgrade?

Have you checked out specialT. He has some drilled rotors, steel
lines, performance pads, etc.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 20:32:56 -0400
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: An Interesting Delorean Link

While surfing the net I found an interesting link about the Delorean I had
not seen before.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EHistory/DeLorean.html

Steelwings,

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 02:37:03 -0000
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>

I took a ride in that and i must say, Marc did a great job with the
350z conversion. I have never been or seen a delorean as fast as
this. My head was glued to the seat! Great job Marc. Def worth the
wait. Good job Kevin on getting it up there so fast!

-Jon Brodi
10103

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_...> wrote:

> As some of you may (or may not know) Marc Levy disassembled one of
his
> Deloreans several years ago to install a faster engine.  Several
unforeseen
> circumstances caused him to delay completion of the project, and
ultimately
> scrap his original concept altogether and start over with a new
engine and
> design.
>
> Marc was able to finish his engine upgrade 1 1/2 days before the
DMA spring
> social.  He was kind enough to offer anyone who was brave enough
to go for a
> ride in his new 270hp Delorean.  Thanks to Jon Brodi, we have this
video
> clip of my "takeoff" with Marc.   Let me just say...this car is
FAST!

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 02:56:31 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'm trying to recall  - is that a real 350Z engine or an Altima 3.5?
How much of a challenge was fooling the engine (electronics) into
thinking there was still a Nissan around it?

Dave S

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 23:05:46 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

remember steve liggetts machine
it was sold to someone on the east coast but its fast as well

I really enjoyed the ride in Marcs car
if the D came with that power
it would have really taken off in more ways than one

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 03:16:15 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Fast is easy. Fast and reliable and servicable is a bigger challenge. I
notice that Marc went for a somewhat stouter transmission. I also
appreciate that it's a modern FI engine. Now if he could just find a
way to quiet it down a bit. ;-)

Dave S

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 03:28:44 -0000
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: An Interesting Delorean Link

It always seems like the Delorean is marked as the red headed step
child of sports cars. Perhaps they're jealous....

Nathan

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 04:53:17 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: speedo cable lube

I was able to lube the angle drive with the wheels on the ground by
turning the steering wheel hard right and going at it from the rear.
Seemed to disconnect, flip over, and reattach fine. Only took a
couple of minutes. Did I miss something?

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 04:09:17 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: "Here's what I did." - Stainless Steel Regraining

First, I would like to apologize for not posting this a few months
ago, after the de-paneling event at my house. I have been so busy
that I haven't done much of anything DeLorean wise. My write-up was
going to be much more eloquent, but time to write is rare. So here is
the stripped-down cliff notes version of what I had originally
planned to write. Please consider this my technical write-up for
those who may be interested.

"Here's what I did." - Stainless Steel Regraining, by Ben Ferguson
(Captain Hydrogen), Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org).

1.	Learned how to regrain stainless steel under the direct
guidance of Don Steger (www.deloreanmotorcenter.com) (about eight
hours spread across two sessions).

2.	Got further regraining tool and technique information from
Rob Grady (www.pjgrady.com), Stephen Wynne (www.delorean.com), and
Chris Nicholson
(www.deloreans.co.uk/gallery/memberspages/cnicholson/cnicholson.html
and www.pjgrady.co.uk). Found that other types of wheels including
the Sand-O-Flex, are "crap" when it comes to regraining the
DeLorean's stainless steel and also to use Aluminum Oxide abrasive to
prevent any corrosion from the abrasive material. Found that the
optimum range for regraining is 800 - 1000 RPM, any faster will
polish the stainless, any slower and you will grow old and die before
you finish regraining your car.

3.	Researched original air tool used for regraining (ARO Corp.
(an Ingersoll Rand division), Model Number: 8067-E1S, which is a
Model: 8067-E1 that has been regeared from 4500 to 1000 RPM) and
found that it is still available for about $950 and requires a high
capacity air compressor to run at a consistent 1000 rpm for long
periods of time.

4.	Spent about 30 - 45 minutes with a high-speed internet
connection and found Grinding & Polishing Machinery Co.
(www.gandpmachinery.com), the original manufacturer of the Vonnegut
Wheel and found that the product is now called "Wolf Head Wheel", but
still based on the original design patent (2,194,577 March 1940
Vonnegut).

5.	Telephoned Grinding & Polishing Machinery Co., 2801 Tobey
Dr., Indianapolis, Indiana, 46219, Phone: 317-898-0750 Fax: 317-899-
1627, and asked questions and placed order with Larry Hardin
(President).

6.	Ordered a 2" wide, 12 brush, Wolf Head Wheel with a 3/8"
mandrel (about $155). I know the one that the original ones that a
few lucky DeLorean owners and shops have use a 1/2" mandrel, but at
the time of my order, I wasn't sure if the air or electric tool that
I would end up using would have a 1/2" chuck or not, so I got a 3/8"
mandrel to be more versatile. I also ordered two sets of 2" wide 1/8"
cut Aluminum Oxide abrasive strip loads for the Wolf Head Wheel
(about $12 each) because right when you run out of the first load is
when you will need a second load. Total order was for the Vonnegut /
Wolf Head Wheel and two loads of abrasive strips, about $179 +
shipping.

7.	Decided to use an electric drill rather than an air tool,
mainly because I don't have an air compressor and for the fact that
electricity is much more widely available than compressed air if I
were to regrain in any location. Also, a corded electric drill
doesn't slow down if you run it for an hour at a time like a high CFM
air tool does. I bought a RIDGID R7100 1/2 Inch Drill ($125 at Home
Depot) (www.ridgid.com/Tools/R7100-Half-Inch-Drill). It has several
features that I like: such as two speed ranges High 0-3,000 RPM / Low
Speed 0-1,000 RPM (1,000 RPM is exactly what you want when regraining
your DeLorean), Lock-on Button for continuous drilling so your
fingers don't get tired pulling the trigger, the front handle that I
swivel to the opposite side of the drill when regraining is very nice
for support when regraining, and the 3,000 RPM setting is great with
the smaller 3" diameter x 1.5" wide 60 - 80 grit flap wheels for
getting rid of die grinder swirls from bad body filler repairs, deep
gouges, and paint/primer removal before regraining. Also, this
electric drill is noticeably lighter than the original air tool.

8.	Additional items to get: a small or large diameter flap wheel
(3" - 6" diameter x 1.5" wide 60 - 80 grit about $5 at Home Depot
example: www.abrasiveproducts.net/Kasco/flap1.htm), 3M Scotch-Brite
7446 Blending Hand Pad (Buyer's Part Number: 7446, 3M Id: 61-5001-
2322-1), 3M Scotch-Brite Microfiber Cloth, and Stainless Steel Polish
(your preference).

9.	The rest of stainless steel regraining is knowledge and
technique. Anyone can learn to do this, but there is only one Chris
Nicholson.

I hope the above information helps a lot of DeLorean owners.

When visiting Arizona, contact the AZ-D for an impromptu event.

Good Luck,
Ben Ferguson (Captain Hydrogen)
Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org), Car Cruise Director - VIN
10365, CAPT H2
American Hydrogen Association (www.clean-air.org) - Board of
Directors, 1996 - present

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:21:52 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

As the person charged with driving this car to Chicago, I'm getting a
grin reading all these messages :-) Still, I can't let Marc have all the fun

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2210.JPG

This is #2727's rebuilt engine, now in the car hooked up to a stock
manual transmission (2727 was an auto) constructed from donor parts, and
as of yesterday, all tranny linkages are now hooked up and working fine.

This is the 2458cc even fire turbo engine rebuilt into a DeLorean block
I posted about some months back. It's being hooked up to the Island Twin
turbo system the car came with and ar a bar of boost should be knocking
on 250hp. We are on target for Eurofest assuming the ECU arrives in
time....!

Fun times....

Martin

Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 01:25:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike <milesperhour79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Kyle Franklin might be able to compete.  However, I'm not sure on all the details of his D.  350 chevy engine is about all I can remember.  Plus, it's an awesome lookin' car!

  Mike

Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 00:10:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Woody <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

Two years ago I decided to experiment with drilling the standard front
rotors to see if I could reduce the heating and warping problems I had
experienced on my previous D.

***BEFORE READING FURTHER, PLEASE NOT THAT I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THAT
YOU TRY TO DUPLICATE THIS PROCESS ON YOUR BRAKE ROTORS.  MODIFICATION
OF BRAKING COMPONENTS MAY CAUSE AN UNPREDICTABLE AND CATASTROPHIC
FAILURE (As I learned with my Jeep Grande Cherokee and which ultimately
resulted in a recall for replacement of the original rotors).***

I pulled photos of various designs off of the internet, closely
examining the number, patterns size and other special design features.

The result was a design similar to those of several manufacturers but
with fewer holes than other drilled, unvented rotors (due to concerns
about the structural integrity of the rotor).  Though heat might do
more harm than too many holes, I decided to error on the sign of more
heat, less holes for my initial trial.

I used an almost new set of front rotors, had them lightly turned to
assure no warping/inbalance then had the design programmed for drilling
using the measurements from my CADD drawing.  After the machine
drilling, I rounded the straight-drilled holes to reduce wear on the
brake pads and reduce stress (and possibly reduce fatigue around the
holes.  after again turing to assure the rotors were still balanced
(they were!), I installed them on my car.  I opted for machine drilling
over hand drilling because the machine drilling was most economical and
assured good balancing.

After 12,000 miles and many, many hard braking episodes that would
likely have resulted in the replacement of 2 or 3 sets of stock rotors,
these "home-drilled" rotors are still functioning better than a
500-mile stock set (at least the way I drive - read than "hard" w/ 1
foot on the throttle and 2 on the brake :) !)

I'm sure my design is not optimum, but after the real world and
admittedly subjective testing and results, I feel very confident in
saying that this simple drilling was a significant improvement over
stock solid rotors with no noticable warping like one would expect with
the solid rotors.  Further, "visual" inspection shows no signs of
cracks or fatigue (I emphasize "visual" because this form of inspection
is not the final word).

As mentioned previously, I am not recommending or even suggesting that
my experiment be repeated on another persons's car.  I am merely
sharing my results and observations from one sample which lacks the
benefits of repeated trials under controlled conditions

If you have any questions, please feel free to do so.

Woody

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:39:33 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hi all,

Wasn't there a Rotary engined D around a while back which was rumoured
to be pretty swift?

James

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:17:39 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hi Marc.

Congratulations on your beautiful conversion.  I can't wait to see it
in person.  Now you have two really cool Deloreans.

Wanna race?  :)

Rick Gendreau

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:21:39 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Martin's "Scream Machine"

Hi Martin.

Another "I can't wait to see" car.  This DCS is gonna rock.

Rick Gendreau

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:26:45 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Jim Strickland's rotary "Scream Machine"

Hello.

It's no rumor.  I've been in it.  It was built by Jim Strickland, who
I believe lives in Florida now.  He put a Mazda twin sequentially
turbocharged three rotor B20 engine into his Delorean.  It was very
fast.  At the time I rode in it, I didn't properly appreciate just
how fast it was compared to a stock Delorean.  It sounded great too.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 05:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Who is Ed G?  I don't think I know about that car.

There are some other fast DeLoreans that may beat
6068..  A few that come to mind:

Rick's twin engine
Rich's 3.8L Buick turbo
??? Northstar
Daryl's supercharged chevy
Duke's chevy vortech
3 rotor Mazda (sold on Ebay a while back)
Kyle's small block chevy
Robert's Turbo Lotus
Bob's "time machine" with the 318 Buick

... There are probably more.

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 12:44:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Does anyone know where that car ever ended up? It seems to have
disappeared after he sold it.

Dave Sw

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "twinenginedmc12"

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 08:54:00 -0400
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 2006 DCS Chicago Caravan from Long Island-New York area

Since it is about 850 miles from Long Island and some people may want a more leisurely drive, I will be leaving on Tuesday, and stopping overnight to get there Wednesday evening so I can relax, (recover?) frm the drive and be rested for the first day on Thursday afternoon.

Anyone wishing to join me, just email...

D≤ & 6530
Dave Delman

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:48:53 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: 2006 DCS Chicago Caravan from Mid-Atlantic area

I spoke to many people about the caravan subject at this weekend's DMA
spring social, and it looks like we will be organizing 3 caravans for the
drive to Chicago:

1. People who want to drive out Wed
2. People who want to drive out Wed and stop overnight
3. People who want to drive out Thursday

Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 06:03:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yes, it is WAY too loud for my taste..  Will be
working on that after DCS06.   No time now.  :(

I still have lots of work to do on it before DCS.  As
you can see from the photos, there is a small oil
leak.  I think it is from the trans, so I have to pull
the whole thing out again to replace the input shaft
seal.  :(

Also need to get the custom AC hoses made..  It will
be a long sweaty drive to Chicago without it!

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:46:11 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Detail/Tech Day on May 13 in Houston Area

We are having a detail/tech day on May 13th in Humble (Houston suburb)
at a detail shop. We'll probably start around 4:00 pm. Please contact
me for more information and directions.

Shannon