From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:31 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3231

1. Radio Bracket DIN replacement
From: "Kevin Abato" delorean_at_dml_abato.net

2. Special-T's Rear Cargo Sound Insulating Kit
From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com

3. Car Show in Sydney
From: "Andrew Prentis" aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com

4. Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

5. Re: Headliner "Christmas Tree" fasteners
From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com

6. Cedar Point --- Re: Pre/Post DCS events.
From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

7. Door Struts, Ball Studs and Torsion Bars!
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

8. Re: Radio Bracket DIN replacement
From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

Message 1
From: "Kevin Abato" delorean_at_dml_abato.net
Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:57am(PDT)
Subject: Radio Bracket DIN replacement

I posted two links last week to my radio replacement project for pictures and the write-up.  A common question asked to me privately was "did I use the DMCH bracket, and if so, how did I achieve the proper texture and color?"

Yes, I used the DMCH bracket as to NOT have to cut my original.   When I
bought the bracket, it was a new item on the market and was being sold as a complete swap out, with no painting required.  That was not completely true.
The bare silver metal showed through on the console and If you don't mind bare metal showing, then you are set.  I didn't want that because it looked like crap in the car (IMHO).  I wanted it to be black and textured as was the original (minimal amount actually shows, but hey..I wanted it to look
good)

The solution is that I bought "textured" spray paint.   You spray on 3-4
HEAVY coats of paint in about 30 minutes and let dry.  End result is a nice
texture that emulates that of the original console.   I highly recommend you
do some test runs first to get the right consistency of spray to avoid drips but get the proper texture (I sanded my original attempt off, and got it right on round 2)

Kevin Abato
-Vin # 16680

Message 2
    From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:41pm(PDT)
Subject: Special-T's Rear Cargo Sound Insulating Kit

here is a quick report about installing and the performance of SpecialTAuto's (John Hervey's) Rear Cargo Sound Insulating Kit

access to the foam is pretty easy, remove the rear shelf carpet (velcro), and the rear vertical trim board (4 screws)

I was lucky, the foam pieces in the car were pretty much still intact (not mouse-eaten, etc.)

but, the original 25 year-old foam pieces covering the transmission and engine compartment areas were in pretty sad shape, the top black layer portion had numerous large cracks and was hard and brittle, and the "carpet padding" lower layer had seen better days - pretty obvious why it seemed to be "loud" in the passenger compartment, at least by today's standards!

removal of these 2 large pieces was easy with a wide putty knife and a shop vac

the new foam pieces are made from what appears to be high-quality real "sound deadening foam", rather than the original "carpet pad" foam

the portion that covers the horizontal transmission area is in two layers like the original, the lower layer had to be cut to accommodate the throttle cable, then the upper layer was just placed on top of the lower

the foam piece for the rear vertical (engine) wall had all the cutouts for the brackets and cables, only had to make a couple slits to the holes to place the cables

I attached these pieces with 3-M 90 Hi-Strength spray adhesive from Home Depot

there are a number of additional pre-cut pieces for the right and left sides in the fender-well areas - the existing foam was still in pretty decent shape, so I just added (crammed into place) the additional pieces as an additional layer

all in all, a pretty quick project (well, really quick as I already had the seats out for another reason), the one-page sheet of instructions is helpful and complete

the good news: a HUGE difference in noise level - certainly worth the $130 considering everything is pre-cut, and given the quality of the new sound deadening foam - probably quieter than when the car was new

Cliff

Message 3
    From: "Andrew Prentis" aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:41pm(PDT)
Subject: Car Show in Sydney

Hi,
Just wanted to let any Sydney DeLorean enthusiasts know that I will be taking my DeLorean to the Good Guys Charity Car Show at Penrith tomorrow (sunday).The show is going to be HUGE,possibly the biggest in the country.It is being held at the Penrith Panthers Leagues.
Hope to see some of you there.
Cheers,
Andrew
VIN 2883
Australia

Message 4
    From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:42pm(PDT)
Subject: Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts

I haven't found a lot of information on replacing motor and transmission
mounts - Can the engine be slightly lifted with a jack or hoist to
replace these without actually pulling the engine?  Can someone point me
to an article or posting?

Tom

Message 5
    From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:42pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Headliner "Christmas Tree" fasteners

I'm tying up loose ends just before the weekend, and I can't let this
one past.
We carry these "fir tree" fasteners.  They're shown on page 8-7-1 of the
Parts Manual.  Part number SP10671, $1.46 ea.  Here's a pic.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2884&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren at DMC

Steve Stankiewicz wrote:
> I'm getting ready to recover the headliners in 02650
> and I'm looking to pick up replacements for the
> original "Christmas Tree" fasteners that hold the
> headliners in to the doors.  I tried searching some of
> the vendor sites, but came up with zip.  I have to
> assume someone on here, vendor or not, has a line on
> these little buggers.  I'd like to get some asap so I
> can do the

Message 6
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:42pm(PDT)
Subject: Cedar Point --- Re: Pre/Post DCS events.

I have always wanted to visit this park, I love roller coasters.
Don't know if the body can take it any more.  But what the heck, is
anyone planning on going to the park on Monday?

I need a vacation, and amusement parks are one of the things I really
like.

Are there any reasonable accomodations around there?

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_...> wrote:

> We have 3 great Sandusky DeLorean owners in the DeLorean Club of
Ohio who I'm
> sure would be willing to help anyone out if tools & space is
required or you need
> local information (Tom Wilke, Chuck Darling & Rick Myosky). Be sure
to take your
> DeLorean Owners Directory with you.
>
> As somewhat of a local I can say that if your a coaster fanatic it's
hard to beat
> Cedar Point with 13 coasters, the most at any one location.
>
> http://www.cedarpoint.com/
>

> Shannon Y
> 16506
> http://www.ohiodeloreans.com
>
> -------------------------
> Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 16:18:27 -0400
>    From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_...>
> Subject: Re: Pre/Post DCS events.
>
> Not exactly a "Delorean" event, but my travel partner and I will be
> stopping at Ceder Point Amusement park on Monday for the day on the
> way back to Boston.  If anyone else wants to join us, let me know.
>
> -Hank

Message 7
    From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:42pm(PDT)
Subject: Door Struts, Ball Studs and Torsion Bars!

Last year I found out that my lower door strut ball stud mounting points (there must be a shorter name) were bent.  I figured it was 25 years of constant pressure, but I now have a feeling that the PO replaced the struts at some point with longer variants and expedited the process.  So I'm getting ready to install PJ Grady's super duper heavy duty brackets to prevent any further damage but have a few questions.  Does anybody have any experience with these brackets, mainly installing them?  I've talked with Rob about them and they do sound quite involved to install, but I do have both rear quarter panels, the weather stripping, and the headliners removed, so now is probably the best time to do this.  My other question is if my torsion bars are too lax and need to be tightened.  Last summer I loosened the drivers side down one notch because after replacement of the struts it hopped open pretty quick.  They both seem fine now, but when I use the trick of letting the doors just !
 hang with no struts, the doors will touch the striker posts and close.  This leads me to believe that I am relying on the struts too much to open the doors and I might be putting too much stress on the ball stud and not enough on the torsion bar.  This seems rather surprising since I've installed John Hervey's struts which are apparently made to the original specification.  I'm just trying to make sure that all is set up correctly before I do some real damage to the underbody.  For anyone who is interested in what a bent ball stud looks like I've uploaded a picture:

http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732/ball-stud.JPG

You may also notice that there are a few minor fiberglass fractures, this is what really got me concerned about the problem and hopefully Rob's brackets can fix the problem before it gets worse.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Message 8
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 5:42pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Radio Bracket DIN replacement

I'm about to do the same thing, what paint did you use?  Project
starts tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Bernie
VIN 4045 and 6704