From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:12 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3232

1. Re: Special-T's Rear Cargo Sound Insulating Kit
From: "lordshill_at_dml_aol.com" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

2. Jet Hot is great!
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts
From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com

4. Re: Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Used Window Motors Anywhere?
From: "tuxr" tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com

6. Maintenance update/observations
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com

7. Re: Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts
From: "Kermit Poling" KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net

8. Please help with my spec
From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk

Message 1
From: "lordshill_at_dml_aol.com" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:47pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Special-T's Rear Cargo Sound Insulating Kit

Cliff.. I have to agree with you. It still is not the quietest of cars, but it does make a hugh difference.
Roy
0893

In a message dated 5/5/2006 8:42:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com writes:

the good  news: a HUGE difference in noise level - certainly worth the
$130  considering everything is pre-cut, and given the quality of the
new sound  deadening foam - probably quieter than when the car was  new

Message 2
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:47pm(PDT)
Subject: Jet Hot is great!

Hey List,

As some of you know already, I have replaced my stock exhaust system with
DMCH's headers and cats and a customized Magnaflow muffler.  I had the
Magnaflow muffler coated by Jet Hot before I put it in, so it would be coated  just
like the other parts.  They say it is able to reduce exhaust  temperatures -
well it sure does!  I drove around town today for half an  hour and had my car up
to operating temp for quite a while with fans cycling on  and off.  As soon I
got home, I shut the car off, got under the car, and  touched the muffler
just to see how it was.  It was hot but not hot enough  to burn you!  This is
great news because with this muffler, there is no  room for a heatshield.  Since
things are running so cool, and the muffler  doesn't even get really hot, I am
thinking a heat shield will be  unnecessary.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 3
    From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:48pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Replacing Motor & Manual Tranny Mounts

Tom - It is very easy to jack the engine up to change the motor
mounts.  You place a 2 X 4 under the oil pan at the forward edge, long
enough to go from from one side to the other, and use a floor jack to
raise it up.  You can actually raise the engine up nearly three inches
before you start running into things like the exhaust crossover pipe
to the underbody.  For a mount change, you won't need to go nearly
that far.  Remember to remove the long bolts before you start raising
the engine, and keep track of the ground strap.  The bolts are
actually more like threaded rods, with nuts on each end.  For
transmission mount changes, you simply have to support the weight of
the transmission.  The mounts disengage, and the halves can be removed
from the transmission and the frame with the transmission supported in
position.  Feel free to email me if you have any additional questions.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I haven't found a lot of information on replacing motor and
transmission mounts - Can the engine be slightly lifted with a jack or
hoist to replace these without actually pulling the engine?  Can
someone point me to an article or posting?

Message 4
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:49pm(PDT)

There are only four mounts on the car.  Both tranny mounts (manual
anyway...) can be removed one at a time for replacement with no jacks, hoists,  etc...
The engine mounts would require a hoist to lift the engine up a  little but
in order to do that, you would have to remove the transmission mounts  to get
the play you need.  Plus (this is really iffy) to lift the engine  that high,
you would probably have to disconnect some wiring, a fuel line or  two, and
almost definitely the two main coolant hoses.  And then, once you  get the engine
out of the mounts (which is an adventure too!), what will you do  if one of
the bolts that goes into the frame breaks off?  Do they really  need to be
replaced?

Andy

In a message dated 5/5/2006 7:42:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com writes:

I  haven't found a lot of information on replacing motor and  transmission
mounts - Can the engine be slightly lifted with a jack or  hoist to
replace these without actually pulling the engine?  Can  someone point me
to an article or  posting?

Tom
10902

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 5
    From: "tuxr" tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com
    Date: Fri May 5, 2006 9:49pm(PDT)
Subject: Used Window Motors Anywhere?

Anyone know where I can get used window motors.  I know they probably
won't last, I should spend the money on new improved ones.  But low on
the priority list right now, want something that would be useful for
the occassional roll down.  If they last, great, if not, oh well.

Message 6
    From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sat May 6, 2006 4:45am(PDT)
Subject: Maintenance update/observations

Hello everyone,

I have replaced my clutch hydraulics, my accumulator/hoses, and
cleaned out the valley and replaced the related hoses. I decided not
to replace the water pump yet as I am out of money, or more
precisely I have run out of money that I am allowed to spend! (Other
married people will understand)

I flushed the clutch system first with Pennzoil dot4 and then with
Castrol GTLMA after reading several posts about clutch fluid. My
clutch is now WAY stiffer than before; it does not feel as soft. Is
this an indication that I have bled the system correctly or did I
screw something up? I have read conflicting reports about how hard
the clutch is supposed to be.  I really did not think anything of it
until my wife tried depressing the clutch and said it was really
hard to do.

The accumulator was a total pain in the ass, glad that's over…

Nathan

Message 7
    From: "Kermit Poling" KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net
    Date: Sat May 6, 2006 4:46am(PDT)

Are you sure that the transmission mounts have to be removed first?  DMCH
charges more to replace the transmission mounts than to replace the engine
mounts (I had my engine mounts replaced recently, and put off the additional
work of replacing the transmission mounts because it was so much more
expensive.)  Surely there must be a simpler way...either that or DMCH has
their costs backwards.

Kermit P.

    From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk
    Date: Sat May 6, 2006 4:48am(PDT)
Subject: Please help with my spec

Hi there,

I have just used http://www.tinyurl.com (thanks
Dave Swingle) to shrink the hyper links.

I am finalising the specification for my DeLorean (has a small cockpit).  I
am after clarify rather than volume.

I am squeezing 4” components under the dash aiming up to the windscreen
(3.5” is the standard fitting).

I am also installing 4” components into the rear in place of the old 4”x10”.

I have the following:-

Alpine D310R head unit

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/mpghk

Alpine NVE-N099P sat nav system

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/jgff9

The head unit will run the 4x speakers.

A separate amp for the subwooker.

Kicker 8" Subwoofer - SOLOBARIC L7 Dual 2/4 2006 Range

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/grur6

I have heard great things about DLS.  Can you clarify that DLS would be
better than Alpine as I am torn between the below:-

ALPINE SPX-107R 4"

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/ekwkk

or

DLS PS4A 4”

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/z5n4o

Amp could be?

dls-reference-ra10

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/jvytq

or

Alpine MRD M605

HYPERLINK http://tinyurl.com/fh5gl

I am thinking of having a pair of the Alpines in front, DLS in the rear with and the DLS amp for the woofer.

Is Dynamat the best for sound deadening?

Thanks for your help

Chris Hawes