From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 8:57 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3234

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "M. P. Olans" mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com

8. Exhaust Pipe Cleaner
From: "tuxr" tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com

9. Re: Radio Bracket DIN replacement
From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

10. steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Exhaust Pipe Cleaner
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com

13. I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

16. Re: Exhaust Pipe Cleaner
From: "Matt Carpenter" mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com

17. Re: I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Scot Stern" Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

21. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Outer door seal adhesive?
From: "Chris Almy" chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net

23. Re: I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

24. Is Chris Nicholson on this list?
From: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

25. Re: steering wheel shakes when braking
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

Message 1
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Maintenance update/observations

After five years in the quick-lube industry, I would say the DeLorean  clutch
is one of the stiffest, on par with big old dump trucks and such...   So I
would say you are right on track!

Andy

In a message dated 5/6/2006 6:46:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I  flushed the clutch system first with Pennzoil dot4 and then with Castrol  GTLMA after reading several posts about clutch fluid. My clutch is now WAY  stiffer than before; it does not feel as soft. Is this an indication that  I have bled the system correctly or did I screw something up? I have read  conflicting reports about how hard the clutch is supposed to be.  I  really did not think anything of it until my wife tried depressing the  clutch and said it was really hard to do.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 2
    From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Raffle Car

Well we finished the last few repairs I wanted to make on the raffle car  and its ready for its new owner.
We turned the rotors on the front and that took out the shimmy it had so  all is well in the handling it also took out the squeak in the brakes.
I don't see much more being done on it at this point.
The interior other than the Binnacle is original and the seats are new leather so they are soft and comfortable.
The stereo sounded kinda off but I found a wire connected wrong and that took care of that.  IT works fine.  The stereo is a Sony and it is a  Cassette.

IF WE DO SELL 600 TICKETS I WILL ALLOW A  $100 Credit for a stereo  upgrade at any stereo store since many of you now like CD's

So now I am going to enjoy the next month driving MY car until the raffle.
After which it will belong to one of you.
Ticket sales are still strong we sold 6 today alone.  Its possible we  could reach the limit if we keep up this pace.

Well Have fun buying the tickets and I will have fun driving YOUR car for the next few weeks.

Message 3
    From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Outer door seal adhesive?

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what adhesive to use for the outer door seals? I've had experience with 3M weatherstrip adhesive and was not satisfied. Thanks all.

-Dan

Message 4
    From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Cleaning inside of Idle Speed Motor

Is there a way to clean out the idle speed motor?

  Erik

Message 5
    From: "deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Extraneous Plug, Help!

Hey guys and gals, long time no see. I have a question. I was in my copious amounts of free time replacing some fouled up wiring (long story) and in haste,  un plugged the plugs that connect the main harness to the rear harness. Now  here's my question, my automatic tranny stopped switiching gears, remaining in  third. So, suspecting my electrical abilities were at fault, I took a look at  the plugs I just mentioned. I have two red plugs and apparently one of those is  for the transmission computer wiring. Ok, so I figured that out. Now I have one  extraneous red plug. It has three wires running into it (although it is the same  size as the other plugs, 9 pins). one wire is a jumper white wire that connects  the bottom right two pins, the other wires are green/white going into the second  to the bottom left pin and green going into the top right pin. Does anyone know  what this plug does? The wires that run to it go into a loom that bundles up  with the ignition coil wires. Any help would be appreciated before I try to  start this thing and fry some wires.

John Weaver
RED DMC #10527

Message 6
    From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:22pm(PDT)
Subject: Used seat wanted

Hello all,

I am looking for a used seat, either left or right side. My brother has a marine upholstery business and we would like to reskin a seat in full grade A leather, tantamount to the seats of Rolls Royce, Bentley etc... We currently have a source with Bridge of Weir who was the original producer. The condition of the seat leather/vinyl is not important; we however have to be able to pull the pattern, so no missing leather/vinyl. It is also a plus if the foam is in good condition. If anyone is willing to sell please contact me off the list.

Regards
-Dan

Message 7
    From: "M. P. Olans" mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 1:22pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Delorean Wheel Bolt Pattern Size

To be sure, do the measurements as Dave (I think) specified).  If you
use someone else's measurements and they turn out to be incorrect,
you've just made a very costly error.

Matt Olans
VIN 16816
The Arizona DeLorean Club

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I found this from "captain _hydrogen" on the offsets. Comments? It
looks like what I need to go to a wheel store.

http://www.dmcnews.com/listarchive/2005_Files/%5BDML%5D%20Digest%20Number%202714.html#1.

>   Chris
>   06301
>
> RON STAFFORD MBCA-AZ board of directors <staffordautoclub_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> The bolt pattern is 4 X 100 mm. I have been looking to upgrade my
> wheels, and have not had much luck. I may go with adapters to
convert to a 5
> bolt pattern. Let me know what wheels you cone up with.
>
> RON STAFFORD

Message 8
    From: "tuxr" tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 2:30pm(PDT)
Subject: Exhaust Pipe Cleaner

Anyone know a good cleaner for the exhaust pipes, mine are dull and I
haven't been able to find anything to really get them looking great.
Thanks.

Message 9
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 3:32pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Radio Bracket DIN replacement

Thanks, I'll pick some up this week and paint the new bracket.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I used the crinkle paint to match the original finish. Any auto
store has
> it. Just remember to apply it in heavy coats, usually three
according to the
> directions. Then watch it wrinkle up as it dries, pretty cool.
>
> Dave Sontos

Behalf Of
> Bernie

Message 10
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 3:33pm(PDT)
Subject: steering wheel shakes when braking

Hey Group,

Not sure where to start with this one.  After storage this winter, I  have
noticed that my steering while shakes back and forth under some  straight-ahead
braking conditions.  I have verified proper tire pressure  (they didn't lose
even 1PSI all winter!!),  and there is no pulling to  either side or brake
pedal pulsations.  The tie rod ends are new and the  steering rack is a rebuild
from Grady, steering linkage is Darryl Tinnerstet's  ball-bearing linkage, no
play anywhere in the system.  Just shakes a little  while braking.

Any ideas?  I had the DS wheel off so I could lube my lower speedo  cable and
didn't notice anything funny.  The car drives pretty smooth  otherwise.  I
would kinda like to know what's wrong before I depart for  Chicago next month.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 11
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 3:34pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Exhaust Pipe Cleaner

Do you have the chrome tips?  When I had mine, I used a chrome polish,  it
was somewhat thick and a little abrasive.  You wiped it on until the rag  turned
black, then you turn the rag over and wipe it until it is clean.   Worked
great!  If you don't have the chrome tips, I'm not sure if there is  anything you
can really do. It would just get discolored again right away.

Andy

In a message dated 5/7/2006 4:31:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com writes:

Anyone  know a good cleaner for the exhaust pipes, mine are dull and I
haven't  been able to find anything to really get them looking great.
Thanks.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 12
    From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 3:35pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: steering wheel shakes when braking

Have you ever replaced the steering column bushing?

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> Hey Group,
>
> Not sure where to start with this one.  After storage this winter, I
have
> noticed that my steering while shakes back and forth under some
straight-ahead
> braking conditions.  I have verified proper tire pressure  (

Message 13
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 3:35pm(PDT)
Subject: I too have an extraneous plug!

If anyone can help me out here, that would be great too!

After reinstalling my engine there was one connector I couldn't figure out
what to do with.   It's a white connector just like the unused one on  the
firewall, about in the middle.  This white connector is located behind  the
engine, pretty much in the middle of it.  There is two prongs on it,  one prong is a
black wire, the other is I think two black wires with blue  stripes on them
going to one connector.  It is in the same wiring  bundle that goes to the
ignition advance solenoid.  Is this one extra,  and if not, where does it go?   I
have noticed NO adverse effects with  it not plugged in, so I bet it is extra.
 I didn't remember anything about  when taking the motor out.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 14
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 4:54pm(PDT)

Yes about four years ago. Maybe I should be more specific.  The wheel  turns
back and forth a few degrees, as if you were holding the wheel and turn it
left, then right, then back really fast.  It doesn't vibrate or shake like  a
bad bushing (been there before).

Andy

In a message dated 5/7/2006 5:35:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,
swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com writes:

Have you  ever replaced the steering column bushing?

Dave

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 15
    From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 4:54pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: I too have an extraneous plug!

I had the same problems when I started refurbishing my D's I found
that my manual didn'thave these wires but my auto did, They went to
nothing,I traced & traced for 1 week till I ran ito another D owner
with an auto trans & it went no where.
Lawrence

In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> If anyone can help me out here, that would be great too!
>
> After reinstalling my engine there was one connector I couldn't
figure out
> what to do with.   It's a white connector just like the unused one
on  the
> firewall, about in the middle.  This white connector is located
behind  the
> engine, pretty much in the middle of it.  There is two prongs on
it,  one prong is a
> black wire, the other is I think two black wires with blue
stripes on them
> going to one connector.  It is in the same wiring  bundle that
goes to the
> ignition advance solenoid.  Is this one extra,  and if not, where
does it go?   I
> have noticed NO adverse effects with  it not plugged in, so I bet
it is extra.
>  I didn't remember anything about  when taking the motor out.
>
> Andy
>
> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 16
    From: "Matt Carpenter" mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 4:54pm(PDT)

I've used 'Maguiar's NXL All Metal Polysh' and have really liked the results
on the exhaust pipes.

http://tinyurl.com/k5pdr

Matt Carpenter
5586
AZ-D.ORG

>From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Exhaust Pipe Cleaner
>Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 20:58:56 -0000
>
>Anyone know a good cleaner for the exhaust pipes, mine are dull and I
>haven't been able to find anything to really get them looking great.
>Thanks.

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Message 17
    From: "deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 4:57pm(PDT)

Andy, I also have that plug, and I've never had my engine out. Mine also goes
nowhere, so I think you are ok, although I am not sure what it does. I am
beginning to think that my extra red plug is for a manual trans car. I am
guessing that the plug is supposed to drive the rear reverse lights in lieu of the
wires that come out of the auto trans. Can anybody confirm this?

John Weaver
RED DMC # 10527

Message 18
    From: "Scot Stern" Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 4:57pm(PDT)

I had the exact same situation with my car and it turned out to be
warped brake rotors on the front brakes.  I had them turned and then
drilled by a California vendor and the problem stopped happening.

In retrospect, I would recommend that you simply replace the rotors as
it is cheaper and the drilling makes them noisy in comparison to the
stock rotors.  Supposedly, the drilling was supposed to be good for
heat dissipation but I am not sure that the noise is worth it.  Hope
this helps.

Scot Stern

Message 19
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 5:04pm(PDT)

Lawrence,

Actually my car is a manual as well!  Any other ideas?

Andy

In a message dated 5/7/2006 6:55:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net writes:

I had  the same problems when I started refurbishing my D's I found
that my  manual didn'thave these wires but my auto did, They went to
nothing,I  traced & traced for 1 week till I ran ito another D owner
with an auto  trans & it went no where.
Lawrence

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 20
    From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 5:04pm(PDT)

Andy:

Sounds like warped rotors.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

> Not sure where to start with this one.  After storage this winter, I  have
> noticed that my steering while shakes back and forth under some
> straight-ahead
> braking conditions.  I have verified proper tire pressure  (they didn't
> lose
> even 1PSI all winter!!),  and there is no pulling to  either side or brake
> pedal pulsations.  The tie rod ends are new and the  steering rack is a
> rebuild
> from Grady, steering linkage is Darryl Tinnerstet's  ball-bearing linkage,
> no
> play anywhere in the system.  Just shakes a little  while braking.
>
> Any ideas?  I had the DS wheel off so I could lube my lower speedo  cable
> and
> didn't notice anything funny.  The car drives pretty smooth  otherwise.  I
> would kinda like to know what's wrong before I depart for  Chicago next
> month.
>
> Andy
>
> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 21
    From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 7, 2006 6:03pm(PDT)

If it wasn't doing it before it was stored (a long time?), you
probably have some brake pad stuck to the rotor. There is much
research out there that will tell you rotors rarely warp. Developing
run-out or thick and thin issues and contamination from the brake
pads is the most common. That's why turning them seems to help. You
can take off the rotors and clean them with a rotor dress-up brush
or have the machine shop do a dress up run on the rotors.

The cause can be from a caliper not working properly. A piston
sticking or stuck and not releasing the pad the slight amount needed
from the rotor can cause the problem by forcing the pad to stay in
firm contact with the rotor - air in the caliper can cause that too.
Sometimes stopping (not moving at all) immediately after the rotors
have gotten very hot (like smelling them) may cause a pad to
transfer some compound to the rotor.

In any event, you will need to remove the rotors to clean them
that will be a good time to check everything for proper function and
be sure the fluid is fresh, etc.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> Hey Group,
>
> Not sure where to start with this one.  After storage this winter,
I  have
> noticed that my steering while shakes back and forth under some
straight-ahead
> braking conditions.  I have verified proper tire pressure  (they
didn't lose
> even 1PSI all winter!!),  and there is no pulling to  either side
or brake
> pedal pulsations.  The tie rod ends are new and the  steering rack
is a rebuild
> from Grady, steering linkage is Darryl Tinnerstet's  ball-bearing
linkage, no
> play anywhere in the system.  Just shakes a little  while braking.
>
> Any ideas?  I had the DS wheel off so I could lube my lower
speedo  cable and
> didn't notice anything funny.  The car drives pretty smooth
otherwise.  I
> would kinda like to know what's wrong before I depart for  Chicago
next month.

> Andy
>
> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 22
    From: "Chris Almy" chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 6:55am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Outer door seal adhesive?

Which one from the 3M line did you use? I've had good luck with 3M Super
Weather Strip Adhesive (black). If you follow the directions and make sure
the surfaces are nice and clean, it holds up well to the pressure the doors
exert on the strips. Just make sure to avoid the more common yellow and
non-super adhesive.

At 07:10 AM 5/7/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what adhesive to
>use for the outer door seals? I've had experience with 3M weatherstrip
>adhesive and was not satisfied. Thanks all.
>
>-Dan

Message 23
    From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 6:56am(PDT)

Maybe someone did a wireing harness swap & used the wrong
harness.Ilooked on electrical diagram & couldn't find these wires.
Lawrence>

> Lawrence,
>
> Actually my car is a manual as well!  Any other ideas?
>
> Andy
>

> In a message dated 5/7/2006 6:55:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> lawrencesr_at_dml_... writes:
>
> I had  the same problems when I started refurbishing my D's I
found
> that my  manual didn'thave these wires but my auto did, They went
> nothing,I  traced & traced for 1 week till I ran ito another D
owner
> with an auto  trans & it went no where.
> Lawrence
>

> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 24
    From: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 6:57am(PDT)
Subject: Is Chris Nicholson on this list?

Just wondering if Chris Nicholson,is on this list to email me
privately,or if someone knows his email address,so as to
correct,misleading/distorted facts and history,and accounts,and other
important facts and info,about the car you are having restored.
regards
cbl

Message 25
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 6:57am(PDT)

When you say back-and-forth kind of vibration I am assuming you are
feeling it in the steering wheel and not the brake pedal. If this is
the case then the rotors are probably not the problem. I am going to
guess that you have some play in the steering wheel and you feel the
brakes fighting you and motion is being felt in the steering. You MUST
find and remove the source of the lost motion. It is usually one or
both tie rod ends and/or the steering rack. You really have to check
EVERYTHING in the front suspension, from the sway bar bushings to the
frame to the ball joints. Get the steering tight and the brake problem
will go away. In a Delorean the steering should have virtually no play
or "lost motion". On one car I worked on one of the u-joints in the
steering column was loose (the bolt was actually). After tightening it
up all the play went away and the vibration too.