From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:47 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3236

1. Re: Problem With Eibach Lowering Springs
From: "spaceboy_2912" seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net

2. Re: Flushing Cooling System Questions?
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

3. Re: Used seat wanted
From: "plutonimicx" plutonimicx_at_dml_yahoo.com

4. How Long Should Interior Lamps Stay On For???
From: "Alistair McCann" pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

5. MI Spring Meet I
From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

6. AW: [DML] Outer door seal adhesive?
From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

7. For Sale: Craig Radio and Console Clock
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Problem With Eibach Lowering Springs
From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com

9. Twin Turbo Progress
From: "Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd" martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk

10. Cooling Fans
From: "edward j cohen" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

11. Re: Flushing Cooling System Questions?
From: "Mike Walsh" mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net

12. Re: Flushing Cooling System Questions?
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

13. Re: For Sale: Craig Radio and Console Clock
From: "Thomas Mc Auley" dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk

14. Re: Cooling Fans
From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com

15. Re: How Long Should Interior Lamps Stay On For???
From: "thomasttait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

16. Finally...
From: "coreysmoo" coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com

17. Re: Cooling Fans
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

18. Re: I too have an extraneous plug!
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

19. Re: Flushing Cooling System Questions?
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

20. Re: For Sale: Craig Radio and Console Clock
From: "Jim Cope" lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com

21. Delorean spotting in RI
From: "illyana delorean" illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com

22. Re: How Long Should Interior Lamps Stay On For???
From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

Message 1
From: "spaceboy_2912" seanmm_at_dml_alltel.net
Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:53pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Problem With Eibach Lowering Springs

Jeremy,
Are you certain you reinstalled the rubber pad that goes between the spring and frame when you installed the front springs? If so, are you certain that they seated properly and one is not crooked? The rears are adjustable so you should be able to adjust the side that you want up or down. Make little changes and drive for a bit before making more changes.

seanM

Message 2
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:55pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Flushing Cooling System Questions?

Unless the motor is full of junk and the coolant comes out brown with rust you can flush it without removing the plugs. You may want to remove the thermostat to do a thourgh job. If you want to do a good job you might consider removing the hoses on the pipes under the car.
That way you can flush the motor independantly of the radiator and do the radiator separately. You should also flush the heater core. Flush until the water runs clear. After flushing, drain as much of the water as you can. Reconnect the hoses and fill with 50/50 water and anti-freeze into the expansion bottle. Pressurize with a coolant tester and bleed through the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing and the small bleeder hose on the top right side of the radiator.
Don't allow the tank to empty or you will have to start over. When you finish up the tank should be between 1/3 to 1/2 full. Before doing all of this you should replace all the hoses and fix any leaks. Look at the radiator through the shroud and fans. If you see any green then the radiator should be replaced.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike p <cambpd_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi, can anyone tell me if the Delorean cooling system can be
properly flushed without removing the engine drain plugs?  Has anyone
done it and is it different than with the drain plugs removed?    My
drain plugs are hopelessly frozen/rusted into the engine block, and  I d

Message 3
    From: "plutonimicx" plutonimicx_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:55pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Used seat wanted

I haven't been on the DML in a long time. Not sure if you got any seats yet but I have a pair of seats perfect for recovery. Frames are in excellent shape but the leather needs to be recovered badly.
Email me if you're still interested. Foward2thepast_at_dml_aol.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a used seat, either left or right side. My brother
> has a marine upholstery business and we would like to reskin a
seat in
> full grade A leather, tantamount to the seats of Rolls Royce,
Bentley
> etc... We currently have a source with Bridge of Weir who was the
> original producer. The condition of the seat leather/vinyl is not
> important; we however have to be able to pull the pattern, so no
> missing leather/vinyl. It is also a plus if the foam is in good
> condition. If anyone is willing to sell please contact me off the
list.

> Regards
> -Dan

Message 4
    From: "Alistair McCann" pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:58pm(PDT)
Subject: How Long Should Interior Lamps Stay On For???

Hi all

I was checking my interior lamps today as I never use them and found that in delay mode as I
call it (lights come on when doors open) the lights will light up fine with the doors open and
then dim when the doors are closed.  The only problem is the lights stay on and do not
switch off, they stay dimmed the whole time untill I open the door again and they go bright
again.

I have checked the archive and it sort of suggests that the delay relay is messed up.  Is this
the case or do I have some faulty wiring issues.

Alistair.
Vin: Pilot25
Belfast.

Message 5
    From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:58pm(PDT)
Subject: MI Spring Meet I

Pictures of this event have been posted to the DCO site:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-MISpring1-06.htm

I want to publically thank:

- Byron Cancelmo for hosting a great event this past weekend, opening up your
home to all of us & researching former JZD residencies to make the cruise that
much more enjoyable/interesting. Byron is one of the "Michigan Militia" members
of the DeLorean Club of Ohio who is also working on making this years 25th
DeLorean anniversary a memorable one at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

- Dave Bauerle of Bauerle Automotive for all his technical help & advice
throughout the day. Also for rescuing/fixing Rick M's car during the cruise. (
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle.htm ) No DeLorean Left Behind!

- Munk's Motors for inviting all of us over to the shop to use the facilities.
http:www.munks.com

- Lawrence Lormand & Byron Cancelmo for getting John R. on his way again the next
morning with a new set of bearings.

If you missed this event there are two more in the upcoming weekends...
5/13/06 - PA Spring Tech Session - Alquippa, PA
5/20/06 - MI Spring Meet II - Dearborn Heights, MI.

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm

Shannon Y

Message 6
    From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 3:58pm(PDT)
Subject: AW: [DML] Outer door seal adhesive?

Don't you guys have that stuff called PATTEX ?

They have it in yellow and without color.

I use the colorless one as it doesn't look
that ugly when you didn't work 100% perfect.

I bet even if it has a different name you guys
should have the same stuff overthere. This kind
of glue needs a bit of pressure to stick correctly.

Elvis & 6548 ... ready for its way back to its cradle...

Daniel wrote:

>Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what adhesive to
>use for the outer door seals? I've had experience with 3M weatherstrip
adhesive and was not satisfied. Thanks all.

>-Dan

Message 7
    From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:00pm(PDT)
Subject: For Sale: Craig Radio and Console Clock

I'm replacing my radio in the next few weeks and will be selling the
fully functional original Craig Radio.  The tape display works and
the unit sounds good for a 25 year old radio.  It is in very good
condition and the faceplate was replaced a year ago with a NOS DMCH
plate due to slight smearing of the white text on the original one.
This is the version of the Craig without the built in clock.

The console clock illuminates but tends to loose a few minutes a
month (typical from what I hear other DeLorean owners gripe about).
It has no deep scratches and looks very good.  As I understand the
vendors don't carry these anymore, and this is a must for a concourse
car.  It might even be good to buy one as a spare.

Both are in my 20,000 mile D currently and will be removed sometime
this week or next during the installation of my new stereo.

If anyone wants either of these items, feel free to make an offer.
PRC1216(at)aol.com

Thanks,
Patrick C.

Message 8
    From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:01pm(PDT)

Jeremy,

I assume your adjustable rear shocks are adjusted identically :-)

there have been previous reports of suspensions having to "settle in"
after lowering kits were installed - this never made a lot to sense to
me, as springs really to not "settle"

what I discovered is that if the suspension parts and control arm
bushings are tightened with the suspension in the fully extended
position (like when the wheels are off and car is on a lift or jack
stands), the components are pre-loaded in the wrong position, and when
the car set on the wheels, the "twisted" (pre-loaded) bushings are
suspending part of the cars weight

this is more evident with new or good condition control arm bushings,
but as they eventually distort (twist), the car "settles"

one solution is to leave all of suspension bolts loose until the car
is placed on its wheels, then torque everything in place with all of
the suspension bushings in the "correct" position

no "settling" required, can even lift the car back off the wheels,
bushings are still centered in "driving" position

the trick is getting under the car with the torque wrench when it is
on the ground at correct height to tighten the suspension bolts

I have 4 36" high stands that are rated for 1000 pounds each that I
carefully lower the car's wheels onto using the car lift, it is a
little scary, I keep the lift pads just an inch or so away just in
case, but it makes it easy to get all of the suspension components
torqued in place

car starts out at the "proper" height, doesn't seem to change over
time

good luck, Cliff

On Mon, 08 May 2006 09:24:41 -0000, you wrote:

>Hey all. Just got the Eibach lowering springs installed on the D. Car
>seems to handle quite a bit better now and it feels much more stable
>on the road. My one concern is that the car appears to be nearly an
>inch lower in the front on one side. There is also a slight difference
>in the rear height. The springs have been on for over a month of
>driving so I don't think it's a matter of them settling in. Is there
>an adjustment I can make so the car sits more evenly all around?
>
>-Jeremy Delaney

Message 9
    From: "Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd" martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:02pm(PDT)
Subject: Twin Turbo Progress

Hi All

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the progress on #2727's twin
turbo. A quick recap: 2727 came to the UK as an auto with partially
disassembled twin turbo kit on the engine. Although we got it going like
a bat out of hell, it was cooling itself with fuel and Rich (the owner)
got about 13mpg. On disassembly, we didn't find a drop of fuel in the oil.

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2211.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2219.JPG

This project has been about rebuilding the engine using bits from a
2458cc even fire EFI turbo engine. The block, crank case, sump, water
pump, timing and rocker covers are original, as is the turbo setup,
after a bit of work on the turbos themselves. Everything else is either
new or donated. The new 5 speed gearbox is a one-off built from parts of
three donor boxes, including an ECU trigger-capable bellhousing, EFI
flywheel etc etc. The engine will be running twin intercoolers across
the back (where the exhaust box would be if it had one), and the ECU is
a custom job from Australia. The Walker mufflers have gone in the bin
and as suitable replacements have as yet been difficult to get hold of,
the pipework will be a simple strait-through job ending in muffled Aston
Martin tips. Expect it to still be a bit on the loud side...!!!!

The ECU is due to arrive any day and apart from the exhaust pipework and
intercoolers, I'm tempting fate to say we're on target for Eurofest!

Message 10
    From: "edward j  cohen" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:03pm(PDT)
Subject: Cooling Fans

David,
Question for you.  My cooling fans are drawing a lot of amps.  So much so
that the wires get hot and the system shuts down.  Any ideas as to what's
causing this.
Ed

Message 11
    From: "Mike Walsh" mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:08pm(PDT)

I had wondered the same thing the first year I had my car. Those plugs just
would not come out.

I don't know if anyone else does it this way but what I do is to remove the
hose I have going from the bleed screw to the overflow tank and direct that
to a large bucket (I have one of Toby's bleed systems). Then I start the
engine allowing the waterpump to do the work while I add distilled water to
the overflow tank. Once the coolant runs clear (after the thermostat opens)
I add coolant so that it mixes with the distilled water already in the
system. Once I add enough so the ratio is right I put the hose back, let it
run for a few min and check the ratio.

This way does create more "coolant water" that has to be disposed of but is
very easy and limits the amount of air entering the system.

Mike Walsh
$17084
    From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:09pm(PDT)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike p <cambpd_at_dml_...> wrote:

Mike,
I filled mine by taking the hose off of the water pump going to the
top of the radiator (driver side of car).  I filled it with a 50/50
antifreeze/water solution until the coolant bottle was full.  Get a
self bleeder kit for the air valve on the water pump.  Saves some
hassle.  But fire up the car and disconnect the little hose on the
top of the radiator on the passenger side.  You will probably hear
air.  Once coolant starts pumping out, hook the hose back up.  Andbe
careful.  The coolant can burn you if it's hot enough.

As for draining everything out of the block.  I just did a VOD job
last winter on my car.  The two holes for the internal y-pipe, I
sucked the coolant out that way.  Not even bothering with the plugs
on the side of the engine.

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Message 13
    From: "Thomas Mc Auley" dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 8, 2006 4:21pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: For Sale: Craig Radio and Console Clock

 Hi Patrick

  My Craig recently gave up on me, and I am considering upgrading to a modern stereo unless I can get a Craig for the right price. How is $100 for the radio?

  Thomas
  Belfast
  Vin #4087

Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
[...]

Message 14
    From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:28am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Cooling Fans

Ed - While there might be a wiring issue involved, the most likely
reason for this condition is that the fan motors are 25 years old, and
the overall deterioration from long-term use is causing them to require
higher current flow for normal function.  Also, the original circuit
breaker is of a marginal capacity for the current draw from the fans,
especially during fan start-up.  The bottom line is that you may want
to consider either rebuilding the fan motors with new bearings and
brushes, or replace them with modern equipment that is now available.
The new fans that can replace the originals draw half the current, and
move quite a bit more air.  You can review our offering on our website
using the following link http://tinyurl.com/jcl8u .

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "edward j  cohen" <rdcejc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> David,
> Question for you.  My cooling fans are drawing a lot of amps.  So
much so that the wires get hot and the system shuts down.  Any ideas as
to what's causing this.
> Ed

Message 15
    From: "thomasttait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:28am(PDT)
Subject: Re: How Long Should Interior Lamps Stay On For???

I have a similar problem, but it's worth noting that it is only with
the dome light over the mirror, not the lights in the doors.  I have a
bad ground wire somewhere, but have not found it yet, sounds like you
do too. Depending on what you find you can look at the wiring diagram,
the layout of the diodes, and narrow it down a bit. It may help for
you to note if your door lights on one or either side react the same
way as the  interior lighting.

Tom
10902
With a cool LED in my dome light, and the dome light just turned off

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi all

 the lights will light up fine with the doors open and
> then dim when the doors are closed.  The only problem is the lights
stay on and do not
> switch off, they stay dimmed the whole time untill I open the door
again and they go bright
> again.

Message 16
    From: "coreysmoo" coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:30am(PDT)
Subject: Finally...

2423 got back on the road today after being pulled apart for cosmetic
work since October.  Man, did it feel good to get in and just cruise
for the first time of the year.  I'm going to post some pics in my
blog tomorrow.  Can't do it tonight.  It's dark out. :)  I will post a
link to the pics tomorrow.  I'm just so happy she is back on the road,
I just had to post about it...

Back in the saddle,

Corey

Message 17
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:30am(PDT)

Check all of the connectors in the fan circuit. You will find some
loose/overheated ones causing a voltage drop. As the voltage gets
lower the amperage increases so the motors can still pull the same
amount of power. That is what causes the wires to overheat. As the
wires get hotter they can carry less current so they get hotter and
hotter, a vicous cycle. Check that you have the uprated circuit
breaker for the cooling fans AND the heater fan. Check the bypass
jumper if you have it for overheating. Finally, you could also have a
bad motor drawing to much current. Measure the voltage and current at
the motor. The wrong otterstadt switch can also cause the fans to run
too long and not cycle off enough. Same for the A/C. It is not
supposed to run the fans continusly, again the A/C must cycle so the
cooling fans can cycle off. The time spent in the off part of the
cycle allows things to cool a little. The fan circuit was not made to
run continuosly for long periods of time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "edward j  cohen" <rdcejc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> David,
> Question for you.  My cooling fans are drawing a lot of amps.  So
much so
> that the wires get hot and the system shuts down.  Any ideas as to
what's
> causing this.
> Ed

Message 18
    From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:31am(PDT)
Subject: Re: I too have an extraneous plug!

Andy, I found on my Auto today black/blue,Balck all hook into the
red black wire under the wire bar on fire wall. But not on my manual.
Lawrence

In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanss_at_dml_... wrote:

> Andy, I also have that plug, and I've never had my engine out.
Mine also goes
> nowhere, so I think you are ok, although I am not sure what it
does. I am
> beginning to think that my extra red plug is for a manual trans
car. I am
> guessing that the plug is supposed to drive the rear reverse
lights in lieu of the
> wires that come out of the auto trans. Can anybody confirm this?
>
> John Weaver
> RED DMC # 10527

Message 19
    From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:32am(PDT)

What tool did you use to try and remove those plugs?  When I did this mine
were on there pretty good too, but I wound up buying a cheap 3/8" socket
extension and using a bench grinder to make it fit the square plug hole
(5/16").  Just put a long breaker bar on it and give it a few good raps,
came right off for me.  Some people said this might not be a great solution
because modern tools have hardening coatings that would be removed, but hey,
it's a $2 part and has lasted for me through several uses.  It might be
worth a shot.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Message 20
    From: "Jim Cope" lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:36am(PDT)

Hi I would like to make an offer for the clock....mines packed up

  Jim Cope
  South Africa

Patrick Conlon
wrote:

The console clock illuminates but tends to loose a few minutes a
month

Message 21
    From: "illyana delorean" illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:37am(PDT)
Subject: Delorean spotting in RI

Just wondering if the owner of a Delorean i spotted in Providence, RI
today is on the list. So, if you were driving down Angell Street
around 6pm today, I was the crazy girl jumping up and down and
clapping when I saw you (and I know you saw me!) - just wanted to
say, thanks for making my day! Your Delorean was the first one I've
seen since moving to Providence in September.

illyana

Message 22
    From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
    Date: Tue May 9, 2006 7:42am(PDT)

Hi Alistair,

yes the delay relay/module is one of the glory inventions
of a drunken or at least crazy guy in the early 1980s.
Did you set both interior lights to the on position ?
I had the same effect as you described, but only when
one light was on instead of both.

I have the schematic if you're interested...I can't believe
one released something like that for series production
in THE car of the 80s...

Elvis