From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:13 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3242

1. Re: Dead fuel pump?
From: "delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com" delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com

2. Re: Dead fuel pump?
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

3. Re: Dead fuel pump?
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com

4. Need HELP!!! Odd Idle question...traveling and possibly stuck?!?
From: "Michael Cole" stainless_delorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

5. Re: Dead fuel pump?
From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com

6. Re: R134a retrofit
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Delorean spotting in RI
From: "Joe Angell" jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com

8. Re: New Poll Question - Your Delorean Driveable?
From: "rodney rael" rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com

9. Re: Importing a De Lorean? How do I!?
From: "blackaddertoo" blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk

10. 2006 Northeast Exotic Car Show Saturday Aug.26
From: "corkeroni" jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net

11. seat belts
From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk

12. IRISH FAIR IN IRVINE, CA.
From: "danielbotkin" danielb649_at_dml_aol.com

Message 1
From: "delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com" delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com
Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:43am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Dead fuel pump?

If , after repairing the inertia switch and connector, the fuel pump still doesn't run check for continuity between the pump and the inertia switch.
I've seen a couple of cars that had a break somewhere in the wiring loom between the inertia switch and the fuel pump. If you discover there is no continuity on a wire it may be simpler to just run a new wire between the switch and the pump rather than trying to dissect the loom.

Bruce Benson

> Well I tested my fuel pump after removing it, it works perfect so than
> I moved onto jumping the RPM relay as instucted. After jumping the RPM
> relay still nothing happend. So than I cleaned the connectors between
> the fuel pump and the harness, the negative energy connector is still
> black where the positive is gold colored bright than the day it was
> brand new, still nothing happend. Im a little worried about the status
> of the connector since one of the two pins is nearly uncleanable (the
> negative). I than checked the Inertia switch to see if it was tripped,
> it wasnt. but following the advice from Don at DMC garden groove I
> removed the inertia box to see if it was melted or not. There I found
> the box to be partially melted where the connectors are on the box and
> slight damage to the harness connectors to the box from the very same
> heat.
>
> aside form all this I found my #13 fuse to be bad, and to be honest im
> not sure what #13 does on a manual tranny DMC.
>
> So if theres any further tests I can do please advise me, id be much
> appreciated. Id like for a way just to proove that 100% of the problem
> was due to the inertia switch box.
>
> ~ Josh Tidwell (Bakersfield, CA)
> 04463 VIN - Out of order.   :(

Message 2
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:44am(PDT)

It is time to get out the wiring diaghram and a voltmeter. You really have to to see what is going on. You cannot easily fix electrical systems by just "shotgunning" them. I would start at teh plug for the fuel pump. Check if you get 12 volts and if the other wire is still going to a good ground. Then you will know which side (maybe both) of the circuit to work on.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Well I tested my fuel pump after removing it, it works perfect so than
> I moved onto jumping the RPM relay as instucted. After jumping the RPM
> relay still nothing happend. So than I cleaned the connectors between
> the fuel pump and the harness, the negative

Message 3
    From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:45am(PDT)

If I remember correctly the inertia switch grounds the fuel pump so
you can bypass it by grounding the fuel pump yourself.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Well I tested my fuel pump after removing it, it works perfect
>
> ~ Josh Tidwell (Bakersfield, CA)
> 04463 VIN - Out of order.   :(

Message 4
    From: "Michael Cole" stainless_delorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:46am(PDT)
Subject: Need HELP!!!  Odd Idle question...traveling and possibly stuck?!?

Here's what the car is doing:

Started her up this morning, idle was normal.  Went to get gas, idle
is normal, car is at operating temperature.  After driving for about
40 minutes on the highway, the car's idle was higher, now at 2000rpms.
 As i hit a couple of traffic lights, the idle went back down to
normal.  While waiting at the same light, with my foot on the brake,
the car's idle surged to 3,000 rpms and held, just as if i was
pressing down the accelerator.

When i got home, i did a check for vacuum leaks with WD40 everywhere,
no difference.  I unplugged the idle speed motor after letting the car
cool down, and the idle was pretty high, back in the 1900rpm range.  I
shut the car down, plugged the motor back in, started the car, and the
idle went back down to 900rpms, so i started driving.

Once again, sitting perfectly still at a stop light, no foot on the
accelerator, the car reved itself up on its own.  I had to drive back
to the house at 3k rpms.  When i got off the highway, the idle was
back down to 2krpms... after driving to the NEXT traffic light and
stopping, the idle was back at 3krpms!!!  Its driving me nuts.

Is this a bad idle speed motor?  Anything else i should be looking at?
 I already looked for vacuum leaks at all the connections, but this
has become almost dangerous to drive.  HELP!

Mike Hackey

Message 5
    From: "Toby Peterson" Toby_at_dml_delorean-parts.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:46am(PDT)

Josh - We have seen a number of melted or partially melted inertia
switches recently.  One car had the same symptoms as yours, and the
owner had gone through the same steps.  A new inertia switch solved
his issues.  To test the switch, you can bypass it by adding a heavy
gage jumper between the black and the black/purple wires in the
connector.  If the fuel pump works in that condition, then the
inertia switch is faulty.  If the pump doesn't work with the
temporary bypass jumper, you are still looking for the problem.  We
have new inertia switches in stock.

There are excellent electrical terminal cleaners at Radio Shack, or
most other electronics supply stores for that blackened pin on the
pump connector.  All connectors should be clean to reduce resistance
in the circuit.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_...> wrote:
I removed the inertia box to see if it was melted or not. There I
found the box to be partially melted where the connectors are on the
box and slight damage to the harness connectors to the box from the
very same heat.

> So if theres any further tests I can do please advise me, id be
much appreciated. Id like for a way just to proove that 100% of the
> problem was due to the inertia switch box.

Message 6
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:47am(PDT)
Subject: Re: R134a retrofit

Nathan,

I have done a cheap-o conversion to R134A with mixed results.   Basically I
just had the system sucked down for about an hour, then ports  changed and
reinstalling with 134A and compatible oil.  Didn't take the  compressor apart or
replace any O-rings or anything.  It blows nice and  cold when it is fully
charged, but I need to get it recharged every year or two  because apparently too
much leaks out over time.  I have had dye in the  system but no one can ever
tell me where it leaks because I keep my car so clean  that the dye gets washed
off (or that's what I have been told because no one is  able to tell me where
it leaks).

I have heard stories about R134A leaking faster than R12 through the big
main hoses but other A/C shop guys have said that's not necessarily true.

So, in my experience, just do a suck down and refill, enjoy the cold air,
and expect to recharge it every year just so you don't get stuck with bad A/C on
 a long trip.

The ultimate is to go ahead and replace everything with R134A compatible
parts, and I think Hervey sells a lot of that kind of stuff.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 7
    From: "Joe Angell" jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:47am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Delorean spotting in RI

> Just wondering if the owner of a Delorean i spotted in Providence, RI
> today is on the list. So, if you were driving down Angell Street
> around 6pm today, I was the crazy girl jumping up and down and
> clapping when I saw you (and I know you saw me!) - just wanted to
> say, thanks for making my day! Your Delorean was the first one I've
> seen since moving to Providence in September.
>
> illyana

I was wondering who that was. :)  I was thinking about stopping and
letting you take a look, but I was in a hurry to get to CT.  I'll
driving back through on June 5th, though (CT->RI->VT; I drive through
RI just so I can get Spike's, which I got hooked on that at RISD).

Half the fun of diving the DeLorean around is seeing other people get
a kick out of it.  Glad it worked!

-- Joe

Message 8
    From: "rodney rael" rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:49am(PDT)
Subject: Re: New Poll Question - Your Delorean Driveable?

3300 when I purchased 2/05, I drove it from Phoenix to Rio Rancho, NM approx
900 miles with no problems, I have done many many upgrades and now it will
reliably take me on 200 - 300 mile trips very frequently throughout the
state.    10544 is awaiting a 3 rotor engine, already purchased, it will get
a porche transmission and hopefully be on the road sometime next year...

Rod

> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was curious as to how many D's are driveable today (ie: can it
> > be started today and driven 500 miles without major worries),

Message 9
    From: "blackaddertoo" blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:50am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Importing a De Lorean? How do I!?

hi

you can do this fairly easily, have a look at the links on the UK
website, Simon Prince has a guide.
Yuo need a strong stomach as you will be wiring plenty of dollars to
a US account.

just be careful if you buy a car that it is not a scam.
there have been quite a few on ebay.

You could also talk to Martin at delorean.co.uk, who i believe has a
way round the vat or duty? (i paid 10% duty and 17.5% vat) and
really could do it all for you i beleive.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Jedrzejewski" <Nick_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Hi there, how would one go about importing a De Lorean from the
USA? I'm in the UK.

> Who would I contact to get this done, the DVLA or some such?
>
> Any advice would be very much Welcome guys!
>
> De Lorean Lover!
> ~Nick~ DOC UK http://www.deloreans.co.uk/

Message 10
    From: "corkeroni" jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:51am(PDT)
Subject: 2006 Northeast Exotic Car Show Saturday Aug.26

This years Northeast Exotic Car Show is Saturday August 26/rain date
Sunday August 27th.
To benefit the NH Make-a-Wish Foundation
Link www.northeastexotic.com

Last years photos are here
http://neviperclub.viperclub.org/gal...ry.php?cat=564

I would like to help organize/coordinate a special section for
DeLorean Parking, and Trophies for this years show. Please contact me
directly e-mail  jefftorrey_at_dml_comcast.net or home phone 603-382-3795,
and we can get this sorted out.

Very Much appreciated...

Thanks for your support.

Message 11
    From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:51am(PDT)
Subject: seat belts

I have received two new seatbelts from a vendor and find that they are
locking up like you would experience under hard braking.  I cannot pull them
down to extend the belt.  I have held them the correct way up and gently
pulled down but it just locks.

Help!

Thanks
Chris H.

Vin 5255 now with Clifford and new 21st sound system (well, the speakers
still need to be fitted but it is nearly there:-))

Message 12
    From: "danielbotkin" danielb649_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Sun May 14, 2006 9:52am(PDT)
Subject: IRISH FAIR IN IRVINE, CA.

Hello All..

  Delorean Motor Center would like to invite all Delorean owners to
join us at The Big Irish Fair in Irvine Califorina on June 24 and 25.
Thay have ask us to have as many Deloreans as we can at the event. You
can bring your Delorean either day or even both days. You can go to:
WWW.irishfair.org for more info or call Danny Botkin at Delorean Motor
Center for more info. (714) 554-6794. We will be setting up our cars
between 8:30AM and 9:00AM. Each Day.  Just drive up to the front gate
and let them know you are with the Delorean group and someone will
direct you where to go.

                            Thanks
                                  Danny Botkin