From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:28 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3247

1. *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***
From: "vze2my3w" pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net

2. AW: [DML] Re: Need HELP!!! Odd Idle question...traveling and possib
From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

3. Re: Doors....again
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

4. Cardboard DeLorean - UPDATE
From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

5. Re: AC compressor oil where does it go?
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

6. delorean owner in Suffok, Virginia
From: "Todd Connors" T.C.Connors_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

7. *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***
From: "vze2my3w" pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net

8. Re: Cardboard DeLorean - UPDATE
From: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com

9. Re: delorean owner in Suffok, Virginia
From: "mkbell1954_at_dml_aol.com" mkbell1954_at_dml_aol.com

10. TiVo / DVR alert!
From: "James Espey" james_at_dml_delorean.com

11. Re: DeLorean Mac Mini Podcast - Volume 2
From: "Stephen Card" stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com

12. Re: DMCNE Caravan to DCS - ideas
From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net

13. Re: *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***
From: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com

14. Re: Doors....again
From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com

15. Re: *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***
From: "L. Sandel" ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu

16. DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Michigan Spring Meet II 5/20/06 9 am till?, 5/18/2006, 9:00 am
From: "dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com" dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

18. Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "delorean_3" delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com

19. Re: DeLorean Mac Mini Podcast - Volume 2
From: "Joe Angell" jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com

20. Re: Doors....again
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

21. Fan Fix
From: "funkstuf" funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com

22. Re: *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***
From: "Mike Substelny" drivestainless_at_dml_yahoo.com

23. Alternator upgrade troubles
From: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com

24. Re: TiVo / DVR alert!
From: "Kevin Abato" delorean_at_dml_abato.net

25. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Message 1
From: "vze2my3w" pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net
Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:45pm(PDT)
Subject: *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***

Hello List,
I fear that my lower engine cover is ready to crack at the "houl open"
support.
Is there a fix?
Thanks,
Pat

Message 2
    From: "Elvis Nocita" elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:45pm(PDT)
Subject: AW: [DML] Re: Need HELP!!!  Odd Idle question...traveling and possib

Are you talking about the Lambda ECU ????

The idle ECU ist the black one with the two small white
connectors facing towards the engine !

pulling the connectors may help but doesn't need to !
the idle motor stays more or less in the same position
where it was when you pull the connectors !!!!

A high idle could be the result of a bad temp sensor
or loose wire.

Elvis & 6548...soon back home...

Bad ECU or stuck idle motor

Check the big plug on the top of the ECU behind the drivers seat, unplug it
and reseat. Switch your ECU with a working one.

Stuck idle motor- pull the black connector off the idle motor when the
engine is racing, if the idle drops down or dies, thats the problem.

Dave Sontos

Message 3
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:45pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Doors....again

One spline has a large effect. Place old towels around so you don't
scratch up the S/S. Be careful not to cut yourself on the sharp edges
of the Tee roof when you remove the rear valence. Be very careful
removing the valence as they are no longer available. If the allen
adaptor is loose in the head of the torsion bar or it is very
difficult to remove the anchor put it back together and inspect the
end of the torsion bar where the allen wrench fits in for a crack. If
cracked DO NOT try to adjust it. Use a helper and use a pipe on the
breaker bar.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi guys, a while ago I mentined that I assumed my gas struts were
> out of sync due to the fact that the drivers doors needs a little
> help to get to the full open whilst the passengers door nearly takes
> your head off as it goes up. On our Lamborghini's (no torsion arms
> here) the gas strut opens and holds the door open/up.

Message 4
    From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:46pm(PDT)
Subject: Cardboard DeLorean - UPDATE

Hey all,
By a weird turn of events I ran across a girl who worked on the Cardboard
DeLorean found at OSU by Josh Haldeman's sister last year. I have uploaded more
infomation about the project on the DCO site.

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-CardboardDMC.htm

Does anyone over in the UK know the magazine in which the article was written? I
would like to find a copy or scans of the article so Tamir can post it on his
online archive of DeLorean articles.

Shannon Y

Message 5
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:51pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: AC compressor oil where does it go?

One hour with the right pump is all you need. If you want to be really
though you vacuum it down, sweep charge, test, vacuum again, and then
fill.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski" <valleyrat12_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> I do have a vacuum pump. Once I get the system back together I will
> vacuum it down for a day or so, then recharge it. The best way to
> learn is to do, that's how I operate anyway. What's the worst that can

Message 6
    From: "Todd Connors" T.C.Connors_at_dml_sbcglobal.net
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 3:54pm(PDT)
Subject: delorean owner in Suffok, Virginia

I am in need of a Delorean owner located in or around Suffolk, Virginia to help me with a project.

  Please contact me off-list for details.

  Thanks,
  Todd Connors

Message 7
    From: "vze2my3w" pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:09pm(PDT)

Hello List,
I fear that my lower engine cover is ready to crack at the
   "HOLD OPEN"
     support.
Is there a fix?
Thanks,
Pat

Message 8
    From: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Cardboard DeLorean - UPDATE

That explains why the two halves do not match.  I had thought that it was based after the protoype which is split like that.

  Chuck

Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hey all,
By a weird turn of events I ran across a girl who worked on the Cardboard
DeLorean found at OSU by Josh Haldeman's sister last year. I have uploaded more
infomation about the project on the DCO site.

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-CardboardDMC.htm

Does anyone over in the UK know the magazine in which the article was written? I
would like to find a copy or scans of the article so Tamir can post it on his
online archive of DeLorean articles.

Shannon Y

Message 9
    From: "mkbell1954_at_dml_aol.com" mkbell1954_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: delorean owner in Suffok, Virginia

Hi-
  I am in Carrollton if you need any assistance.

Mike Bell

Message 10
    From: "James Espey" james_at_dml_delorean.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: TiVo / DVR alert!

Set your TiVo's and DVR's for next weeks episode of "Modern Marvels: 80s
Tech" on the History Channel. I have it on good authority that our
favorite car will be making an appearance!

80s Tech will be premiering during the History Channel's "Great
Inventions Week" (May 24-27), to coincide with the "Invent Now Challenge".

The show is currently scheduled to premiere on The History Channel on

May 24, 2006
10:00 p.m. ET/PT
May 25, 2006
2:00 a.m.  ET/PT

We recommend that you check your local listings to confirm the airtime
in your area / time zone.  Please note that some satellite service
airtimes may differ.

You can also check out www.historychannel.com/modernmarvels/ for
upcoming episodes, air dates and show descriptions.
Or go to the network's main page www.historychannel.com/ and click "TV
SCHEDULE" at the top left for all History Channel programming
info by date & time zone.

More information about this event can be found at
http://www.historychannel.com/invent/.
Please note that there is a chance that this particular airing of 80s
Tech might be slightly shorter to accommodate "Great Inventions Week"
host wraps.
The complete 80s Tech program will be shown for all subsequent broadcasts.

Message 11
    From: "Stephen Card" stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: DeLorean Mac Mini Podcast - Volume 2

> www.deloreanmacmini.com
>

> -Ryan Brandys
Very well done. Looking forward to your future projects and reports.
Stephen

Message 12
    From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: DMCNE Caravan to DCS - ideas

Hank and others,

Having made three trips to and from NY from the Chicago area
in the last four months (with at least one more planned soon)
I will be posting detailed construction zone related info on
the DeLorean Midwest Connection website prior to DCS 2006.

Although I do not have the mile marker information right now,
there is a long stretch of I-80 through PA that is down to
one lane, about 10ft wide, with portable concrete walls on
both sides.  It seems smaller when towing a trailer through.

I also have a few more shorter trips planned south and west
of Chicago as well, so I will be reporting on construction
zones (to avoid or plan for) from these directions as well.
The best time to pass through most of them will be at night.

Our DMC club webmaster Wayne Wagner will most likely be
posting updates here as the info is posted to the website.

www.deloreanmidwest.com

Drive safely everyone. (especially Josh, LOL)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Hank <heskin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving the Boston area on Tuesday, 6/13
for a
> nice day's drive to NJ to meet up with the DMA [or perhaps they'll
met
> up with us..;) ]... The last two caravans for the DCS shows
(Memphis
> and Pigeon Forge) we met in Cherry Hill, NJ,  but since we're going
> north this time, perhaps it would make more sense to meet near
Route
> 80 in Northern NJ - say Saddle Brook (intersection of Rt 80 and the
> Garden State Parkway).
>
> snip <

Message 13
    From: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 6:16pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: ***    Lower engine cover Cracking   ***

Only thing i know is to replace the cover.

Mark V

On May 16, 2006, at 5:49 PM, vze2my3w wrote:

> Hello List,
> I fear that my lower engine cover is ready to crack at the
>    "HOLD OPEN"
>      support.
> Is there a fix?
> Thanks,
> Pat

Message 14
    From: "Cliff Schmucker" cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 7:11pm(PDT)

Good advice concerning torsion bar adjustment - I had one that was
over torqued, had delaminated and bent the metal piece that the
torsion plates attach to, twisted the splines on the bars, etc. -
actually had to fabricate a puller in order to remove the plates while
holding with the breaker bar...

anyway, DMC Houston has a very nice replacement for the "valance":
Part # 105721  -  UPR SCREEN RR FINISHER - REPRODUCTION

got one last year to replace one that was beyond hope - $150, looks
and fits perfect

Cliff

On Tue, 16 May 2006 22:33:46 -0000, David wrote:

<snip>
Be very careful removing the valence as they are no longer available.
<snip>

Message 15
    From: "L. Sandel" ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 8:06pm(PDT)

Not sure if this helps, but my engine cover was cracked at the bottom
center.  Someone probably tried to force it closed without undoing the stay
& it basically started to crack and fold in half at the bottom.

The cover has that 1 1/4 (or so) by few feet area between the hinge mounting
flats with only a tiny center riblet to offer support.  I beefed mine up big
time, and now the engine cover & mount actually work properly.  The engine
cover stands tall and proud.

Anyway, I just fixed mine using this process:

1. Remove engine cover, place bottom-side up on table, bench, milk crate w/
protective floormat, etc.
2. Chisel/sand the 1 1/4 (or so) long center rib flush with rest of engine
cover.  Not all of it, just that 1 1/4 (or so) area at the bottom between
the horizontal supports.
3. Obtain a piece of 1/8" thick by 1 1/4 (or so) aluminum bar stock from
favorite aluminum bar stock store (I got mine from Home Depot).
4. Cut bar stock to same length as area between hinge mounting flats.
5. Rough sand & clean engine cover in area soon-to-recieve-aluminum bar.
6. Rough up one side of aluminum bar with some gritty sandpaper.
7. Mix up your preferred brand of epoxy.  Remember, a little goes a long way
when it's pressed between 2 flat surfaces.
8. Spread epoxy on engine cover & press bar into place.  Apply clamps
appropriately.
8.5 Maybe you want to put some filler or body glaze in the gaps & shape it
so it blends it in better.  Either way, nobody will notice except you.
9. When epoxy has set, mask rest of cover & spray on some primer (something
that works with aluminum)
10. Paint it black.
11. Reinstall engine cover.
12. Enjoy.
13. Stop enjoying.  People are beginning to stare.

*I think it's 1 1/4 wide but it might be longer.  Measure just to be sure.
Home Depot has a piece of bar stock that fits like a glove.

Now, if it's the spot the cover support block mounts too, some vendors offer
replacement staying blocks with extra screw holes, like this for example:

http://delorean-parts.com/  (look for the Engine Cover Support Slide Block)

-Luke & 10270

Message 16
    From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Tue May 16, 2006 8:07pm(PDT)
Subject: DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)

Hi
I have a car we want to get to the car show and its in Conneticut
is there anyone out there that has a spare trailer that can bring it out and
back.
We will pay the gas so if you want a free trip out and back all you have to
do is haul one (special) car.

please contact me offline

ken

Message 17
    From: "dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com" dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 5:57am(PDT)
Subject: Michigan Spring Meet II 5/20/06 9 am till?, 5/18/2006, 9:00 am

 Reminder from the Calendar of dmcnews
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/cal

Michigan Spring Meet II 5/20/06 9 am till?
Thursday May 18, 2006
9:00 am - 9:00 pm
(This event repeats  on the third Thursday of every month, until Sunday May 21, 2006.)
Event Location: 5637 Roosevelt Blvd. Dearborn Heights,Mi. 48125

Set up birthday reminders!

Copyright 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 http://www.yahoo.com

Privacy Policy:
 http://privacy.yahoo.com/

Terms of Service:

Message 18
    From: "delorean_3" delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:36am(PDT)
Subject: Ripples or No Ripples?

All,

Forgive me if this has been asked on the list before, but I searched
the archives with almost every combination I could think of and
couldn't find a thing...but are our seats supposed to have rippled
leather going up the middle of the seat or not?  I have heard from one
person that yes, the seats are supposed to have ripples in the
leather, while from an almost equal amount I have heard that it is
not.  My seats right now do NOT have any ripples, and I am pretty sure
it is the original leather (from the looks anyways, I am positive it's
25+ yrs old).  I only ask because I am about to have my seats
reupholstered by a upholstery shop and want to make sure I give them
accurate descriptions of what the seats are supposed to look like as
they have little experience w/ Deloreans.

Thanks,

Jack
VIN2728

Message 19
    From: "Joe Angell" jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:36am(PDT)

Ok, that's freakin' sweet.  I plan on installing a Mac mini in my car
for various custom interfaces, but I hadn't ever considered using the
inside of the trunk lid as a screen for a video project when I'm not
driving.

-- Joe

> Hey All,
>
> this installment of the DeLorean Mac Mini podcast shows my carputer
> video system in action. click the link below to watch the movie.
>
> www.deloreanmacmini.com
>
> -Ryan Brandys

Message 20
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37am(PDT)

I was not aware that DMCH had a replacement for the rear valence. That
is good news. The price is also not too bad considering. Anyway it
still pays to be careful or you will have to spend $150.
 On the torsion bar, if it is f-cked up a simple adjustment can turn
into a nightmare very quickly. You MUST always be prepared to put it
back together if you get in over your head. I had one car where the
bolts were stripped. This was at a club event and I did not have the
equipment to fix it properly so I had to get it back together the best
I could. On another the allen wrench fit too loosely. On close
examination the end had split. If I had managed to remove the anchor
plate the head could have opened enough to allow the torsion bar to
unwind quickly! Work slowly and carefully.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Good advice concerning torsion bar adjustment - I had one that was
> over torqued, had delaminated and bent the metal piece that the
> torsion plates attach to, twisted the splines on the bars, etc. -
> actually had to fabricate a puller in order to remove the plates while
> holding with the breaker bar...
>
> anyway, DMC Houston has a very nice replacement for the "valance":
> Part # 105721  -  UPR SCREEN RR FINISHER - REPRODUCTION

Message 21
    From: "funkstuf" funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37am(PDT)
Subject: Fan Fix

Regarding my Fan Fix problem.
Initially I had a Fan Fix from SpecialT.  It did fail, and I knew
this because only one fan was kicking on and no fuses were blown.
It had not been on the car very long.
At that time, I did receive a replacement without charge.
When I got the new fix, the fans would occassionally stick on and I
would unplug them.  As I mentioned, in the latest problem the fans
did stay on, and the fuse housing on the fan fix melted but did not
blow the fuse.  I do not at this point actually know if the fan fix
is the reason they stuck on though it appears to be.  My goal at
this point is to actually find out what happened rather than just
get money or new product.
Currently, I've replaced the fan fix with the Delorean Motor Co.
jumper that has 2 fuses along with adding back the cooling fan relay.
Now I'll drive it for awhile this summer and find out if the fans
run alright.  I'm happy to announce that they cycled very nicely
today, and kept the car cool even when I let it sit and idle in 90
degree weather.  Fingers Crossed.

Dale Funk
4984 (the driver with the fan problem)
941 (the turbo rehab project nearing completion Did I say nearing
completion?)

Message 22
    From: "Mike Substelny" drivestainless_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37am(PDT)

The following reminded me of a warning I've been
meaning to post, especially to new owners.

Luke said:

> Not sure if this helps, but my engine cover was
> cracked at the bottom center. Someone probably
> tried to force it closed without undoing the
> stay & it basically started to crack and fold
> in half at the bottom.

About ten years ago, my engine compartment cover
suffered the same damage due to weak louver struts.  I
did no forcing, but I watched it happen.  It was a
horrible sight to see.  Here is what happened:

One day while I had both engine compartment and louver
fully open, a gust of wind came from the direction of
my DeLorean's front bumper.  Even though the struts
held the louver in the fully open position, that
little gust was all it took to bring the louver unit
crashing down.  When the louver hit my engine
compartment lid, the lid cracked like dry spaghetti.

I had not even realized that the struts were weak since
they held the louver in the fully upright position.

Be warned, this can happen to anyone.  It doesn't take
a careless mistake or a misplaced tool or a clutzy
PO, all it takes is a weak pair of struts and a gust
of wind.  The louver struts give little warning; when
they are nearly worn out they just lift the louver a
little more slowly.  They seldom sag, one day they
hold up the louvers the next day they don't.

A new engine compartment lid costs over $250.  Sure,
if yours breaks you can epoxy on a piece of aluminum,
but that's not the point.  If your DeLorean has a good
lid, why would you wait around for a $250 part to
break?  You can replace the struts for a tiny fraction
of that price.  It's a no-brainer . . . if you
love your DeLorean, replace those louver struts
regularly!

- Mike Substelny
  VIN 01280, which just turned 25 years old

Message 23
    From: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:38am(PDT)
Subject: Alternator upgrade troubles

Folks,

I bought & installed a new 4-wire 180amp alternator tonight. It's
mounted up great and the belt is turning it just fine but I'm getting
NO power from it! I could really use some advice...

I had an original motorola alternator. There were only two connections
to it: The main power feed (8 cables going into 2 ring connectors
hooked up to the primary "batt" terminal on the alternator) and a
brown wire that goes hot with the ignition on, which I assume is the
sense for the regulator.

There were NO other wires connected to my Motorola. I was instructed
to hook up a yellow wire for the lamp light to the "L" terminal on the
new 4-wire plug. I looked all over the place but couldn't find a
yellow wire, nor any loose wires whatsoever.

So, I mounted the alternator, connected the main power wires to the
primary power terminal and connected the red "S" wire on the new
4-wire plug to the brown wire. I left the other three wires in the new
4-wire plug disconnected.

I get nothing. Zero voltage output. :(

Any ideas?? If it's just the lack of connecting the "L" wire, can
someone tell me where in the world I should start looking for that
wire? Where does it go or route from? Which wire loom does it come out
of? As I said I looked all over the place, it's not to be found
anywhere...

Thanks for any help,

Message 24
    From: "Kevin Abato" delorean_at_dml_abato.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:41am(PDT)
Subject: Re: TiVo / DVR alert!

Thanks James!
I have my Tivo set, and can extract the video segment after it airs.  ;)

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

    From: "Jake Kamphoefner" jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 10:27am(PDT)