From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:48 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3249

1. Re: DMC Ski Rack
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

3. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "James Espey" james_at_dml_delorean.com

4. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com

5. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com

6. mailing & telephone list
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

7. Ripples
From: "Scott Mueller" scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com

8. DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)
From: "Steve Stankiewicz" protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

9. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "Jace & Jenn" judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net

10. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "Michael Paine" mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com

11. Re: DMC Ski Rack
From: "Jason McKee" tymchsr_at_dml_yahoo.com

12. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com" doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: [DMCForum] Alternator upgrade troubles >>
From: "doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com" doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

16. Re: DMC Ski Rack
From: "lordshill_at_dml_aol.com" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com" andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

18. What's My '81 Delorean Worth?
From: "davvet2" davvet2_at_dml_yahoo.com

19. Fishy Ebay Delorean
From: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

20. Michigan Spring Meet II 5/20/06 9am till ?
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

21. Re: DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Jack Singer" jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net

23. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Joe OBrien" joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com

24. Attn: Matt Spittle
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

25. Re: Ripples or No Ripples?
From: "Joe OBrien" joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com

Message 1
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Date: Wed May 17, 2006 11:36am(PDT)
Subject: Re: DMC Ski Rack

I saw one on eBay last night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-UNUSED-SKI-RACK-FOR-DELOREAN-
CAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46093QQitemZ4640644752QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZ
WDVW

This is not my auction, nor do I know the seller.

-Patrick C.
1880

On May 17, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Dave Phelps wrote:

> Hello,
> I am looking for the original DeLorean ski rack adapter for the
> DeLorean.  I can easily fit an aftermarket one to it but would like
> the old school looking original one if possible.  Let me know if
> anyone out there has one for sale.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Message 2
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:20pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Ripples or No Ripples?

Well that's a suprise to me.  Everything I have read about the orginal seat covers it that they had a ripple efftect in them, as in thats the way they were made.  I could be wrong but both of my cars seats are or were rippled in the center section of the seats.  The were ones have been recovered.

Bernie
VIN 4045 and 6704
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I have fixed up and owned a number of Deloreans since 1983 and not one
> of them has had rippled seats.  Every one including those stored in
> doors its entire life has had tight leather with no ripples.
>
> In fact that is the easiest way to spot a recover is to look for the
> ripples.  Every time I see one, I ask if it was recovered and the
> answer is yes.
>
> Jack
> 10002, 20069

Message 3
    From: "James Espey" james_at_dml_delorean.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:21pm(PDT)

Absolutely no doubt, the seats should have ripples, and did come with ripples when the car was new. I beg to differ with Jack here, as I can't imagine a car that has been stored indoors its entire life NOT having ripples. Here's a photo of a NOS seat bottom I just pulled from the warehouse and dusted off:

http://www.delorean.com/seatbottom.jpg

I wouldn't hazard to guess what makes the leather shrink like the ones in most DeLoreans today - UV, heat, cold, age? But the remaining NOS ones here in the warehouse would suffer only from age - and they aren't shrunk. Anyone who was at the KAPAC warehouse knows that it was not temperature controlled, though everything was protected from sublight. Same way here in Houston...

The photo on page 103 of SSI shows an interior - and it's partially rippled, which incidentally is how the new seat covers look after they've been in service for some time. A few pages earlier, on 101, shows the grey seats with ripples, too.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I have fixed up and owned a number of Deloreans since 1983 and not one
> of them has had rippled seats.  Every one including those stored in
> doors its entire life has had tight leather with no ripples.
>
> In fact that is the easiest way to spot a recover is to look for the
> ripples.  Every time I see one, I ask if it was recovered and the
> answer is yes.
>
> Jack
> 10002, 20069

(SNIP)

Message 4
    From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:22pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Don't take the strip off!  The binnacle and instrument cluster come off together.  There are six 4mm studs that secure the binnacle to the dash.
  You will have to lie down in the driver's foot well to get to them.
Four of them come thru the dash itself and two are on either side of the steering column, tangled up with the leather gaiter.  Use an 7mm deep socket to remove the nyloc nuts.  Watch for falling washers as the nuts come off.  With all of the nuts removed, you can lift the binnacle away from the dash, reach between the the dash and binnacle in the rear, and disconnect the speedo cable, [just press down on the tab], then unplug the two electrical connectors, [squeeze the ends and pull].  This is easier to say than do.  With the binnacle in hand you can replace the bulbs directly from the back of the cluster.

If you want to go farther, four screws hold the cluster into the binnacle, then remove the six screws that hold the lens to the cluster.
  Be careful re-installing the lens. The little ears that the screws go thru are easy to break.  So is the trip reset shaft.

Warren at DMC

edward j cohen wrote:
> HELP
> I need to replace two bulbs in the instrument cluster.  How do I
> remove it?  There's a plastic strip that runs around the glass but I
> not sure if I take it off will I be able to put it back (it looks like
> its glued on) Ed

Message 5
    From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:23pm(PDT)

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/binnacle.htm

Take that off, they are in the back.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "edward j  cohen" <rdcejc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> HELP
> I need to replace two bulbs in the instrument cluster.  How do I
remove it?  There's a plastic strip that runs around the glass but I not sure if I take it off will I be able to put it back (it looks like its glued on)
> Ed

Message 6
    From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25pm(PDT)
Subject: mailing & telephone list

How do I get a copy of the membership list?  I would like to contact fellow D owners in my area as well as getting tech help and parts.
Ed
6944

rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

[MODERATOR NOTE: The answer to this question is to go to the DMC News home page http://www.dmcnews.com/ and click the link for the Owner's Directory at the bottom.  Directions for listing yourself and getting a copy are provided there.  This message approved in case others have the same question this week.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week.]

Message 7
    From: "Scott Mueller" scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25pm(PDT)
Subject: Ripples

Take a look at the Millinium Concours 2006 Judges Handbook for the answer to your seat ripples question.

The handbook is located at

http://www.dmcnews.com/millenniumconcours.html

Scott
002981
August 1981
Original Ripples

Message 8
    From: "Steve Stankiewicz" protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25pm(PDT)
Subject: DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)

OK.  I'm curious.  What's the "special" car?  :  )

Any more from Curtis or is he still "out"?

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Message 9
    From: "Jace & Jenn" judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25pm(PDT)

You have to remove the entire binnacle, unless your hands are small enough
to reach up behind and remove the lights.  The black plastic strip in the
front is not removable.

Jace

> I need to replace two bulbs in the instrument cluster.  How do I remove
> it?  There's a plastic strip that runs around the glass but I not sure if
> I take it off will I be able to put it back (it looks like its glued on)
> Ed

Message 10
    From: "Michael Paine" mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25pm(PDT)

under the dash there is maybe 6 nuts that hold it down...
there are metal studs attached to the cluster/binnacle and
it all comes off together.  The cluser is removed from the
binnacle out the back/bottom, the glass stays in place.
you can change the bulbs without removing the cluster, but
you do have to unbolt the binnacle to get to the back of
it.

regards,

Michael
vin 6067

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:19:27 -0400
  "edward j  cohen" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:
>HELP
>I need to replace two bulbs in the instrument cluster.
> How do I remove it?  There's a plastic strip that runs
>around the glass but I not sure if I take it off will I
>be able to put it back (it looks like its glued on)
>Ed
>6944

>To address comments privately to the moderating team,
>please address:
>moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
>For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale
>see www.dmcnews.com

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Message 11
    From: "Jason McKee" tymchsr_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:26pm(PDT)

Hi Dave,
  There is a DeLorean ski rack on ebay item# 4640644752, I don't know who they are but, its somthing I notice while I was searching for other DeLorean stuff. Hope that helps!

  Jason
  4839

Dave Phelps <dphelps17_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello,
I am looking for the original DeLorean ski rack adapter for the DeLorean. I
can easily fit an aftermarket one to it but would like the old school
looking original one if possible. Let me know if anyone out there has one
for sale.

Message 12
    From: "doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com" doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:26pm(PDT)

Ed,

As far as I am aware you have to replace the bulbs from the rear.  That means
you have to remove the binnacle first.  There are instructions for that on
the net...

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman
    From: "edward j  cohen" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 11:34am(PDT)
Subject: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Message 13
    From: "doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com" doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:27pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Alternator upgrade troubles >>

Marc are you sure that info is correct?

I thought one of those wires goes to the ignition switch and the other goes
to the dash BATT bulb.  The other end of the BATT bulb goes to the ignition
switch.  If the alternator Lamp lead is connected direclty to the ignition,  what
happens when the lamp lead is grouned by the regulator as when the alternator
is not putting out?  The in your case it would seem to cause a short.

I must admit that I am not familiar with a 4 wire alternator.  Can you
clarify this.

Thanks

Dave Delman

<<     From: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 10:39am(PDT)

Message 14
    From: "Daniel" dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:28pm(PDT)

If you check out the MAY 1981 issue of car and driver, they show
interior shots and the seats definitely have ripples in them.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I have fixed up and owned a number of Deloreans since 1983 and not one
> of them has had rippled seats.  Every one including those stored in
> doors its entire life has had tight leather with no ripples.
>
> In fact that is the easiest way to spot a recover is to look for the
> ripples.  Every time I see one, I ask if it was recovered and the answer
> is yes.
>
> Jack
> 10002, 20069

Message 15
    From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:34pm(PDT)

You will need to unbolt the console from the underside and lift the complete
unit of.  After that you need to unplug the three connections (speedo, and
two electrical plugs)

It's not difficult but is awkward to get at all of the nuts (I think they
are a size 7 but not sure)

Careful when you refit the electrical connections in case you crease the
connection on the binnacle itself.

Also consider upgrading to LED's when you have it off,  ive got the blue
leds installed and it really makes a difference but note if you do change,
the dimmer switch will be useless cos the led's are either on or off.

Paul J
Belfast

    From: "lordshill_at_dml_aol.com" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:43pm(PDT)

Hello.. I just checked the ski rack and the bidding is up to $205 right  now.
 Pricey for a ski rack.  Has anyone come up with an aftermarket  one?
Roy 0893

In a message dated 5/17/2006 9:26:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tymchsr_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Hi  Dave,
There is a DeLorean ski rack on ebay item# 4640644752, I don't  know who they
are but, its somthing I notice while I was searching for other  DeLorean
stuff. Hope that helps!

Jason

Message 17
    From: "andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com" andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 6:43pm(PDT)

I have owned my car (03513) since Jan of '82, it had ripples  in it when it
was new, for some reason as it aged the ripples went away. They  were there
when the car was new, of this there is no doubt.

Andy B

Message 18
    From: "davvet2" davvet2_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 17, 2006 7:33pm(PDT)
Subject: What's My '81 Delorean Worth?

I have an '81 DMC-12 with the gas flap in the hood that's in good
shape; it has the automatic transmission and 10K original miles.
I believe the mileage to be correct from the oil change and Oklahoma
inspection stickers that were on the car. It had 8900 miles when I
got it. The speedometer has always worked.

No dents or scratches, interior is in excellent shape, no rips,
cracks or tears.

I've owned it since 1995.

The car has only been driven exercise miles monthly in the last few
years.

It's original except for the tires, has the DMC floormats, car cover,
owners manual and parts and service manuals. No updates or recalls
have been done since I've owned it.

I have finally decided to sell the car; I looked at a lot of
Deloreans before buying this one, it was the best of the bunch.

The A/C needs recharging as it won't cool enough, and there's a
vibration in the front end at 45 mph which may or may not be the
belts in the tires from sitting.

I've had an offer for the car, and before I get serious about selling
thought I get some insight from other board members.

The car is located in Central Texas, 100 miles S. of Dallas.

Thanks,

Jim

Message 19
    From: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:46am(PDT)
Subject: Fishy Ebay Delorean

Just a caution on the Delorean for sale on eBay Item number:
4641133398,it has the usual "fishy" red lights, A mint Delorean going
for cheap,the Private auction thing,the "0" feedback,new eBay member,No
Location,the willing to sell at $5000.00,the "Contact me" at a Yahoo
web address(yahoo addresses are like the hotmail address,they can
disappear in a flash!)  Then trying to make a deal off eBay,so that you
have no protection.Also fishy it has anti-lock brakes,power seats,and
cruise control,he also states "Nothing is broken"...Now we know it
truly is fishy,since all Deloreans have at least one thing broken,or
that doesn't work as it should!That kinda looks like JDZ's former
estate in the background too!

CBL

Message 20
    From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:46am(PDT)
Subject: Michigan Spring Meet II 5/20/06 9am till ?

Hello All,

I'm emailing just as a reminder that the Michigan Spring Meet II is
Saturday May 20th And starts at 9 am till when ever, I have only had
6 RSVP so far with 5 owners that actually said they have projects to
get done, If you have a project that you'll need help with let me
know so I can make some sort of a schedule, If you need hoist use I
have one available at my home so we need to see what jobs are
hardest to easiest. Don't for get I need to know how many will be
here for Food & drinks also. we'll do a little work, eat some food,
take a little cruise & stop back to the Crazy Leprechaun for some
more food & spirits. If you do a Mapquest search for directions make
sure to use every part of my street name or you'll end up 5 miles to
far.  Had to cancel hart plaza as this weekend is the HOE DOWN at
Hart Plaza (Huge Country partttttty.)you know your a redneck when
your favorite beer comes from the grain you farm or the cow you
milked this mornin.

my address is:

5637 Roosevelt Blvd.

Dearborn Heights, MI. 48125     Cell# 313-506-3786 (Just in case)

Thanks & hope to see you all there.

Lawrence 00538m,00915a,1024m,4873a,++

Message 21
    From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:46am(PDT)
Subject: Re: DCS show needs help to transport a car (CT to IL)

This one I am keeping under cover if I pull it off all of you will really
enjoy it.

Message 22
    From: "Jack Singer" jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:47am(PDT)

Okay, I pulled out my sets of OEM leather in storage and they are
rippled.  I looked at the original brochures and yes they are rippled.

The problem is that I can't remember seeing an original set on a car
that was not tight.  I even have a car that was never registered with
400 miles on it that has tight seats.

Even when I go to car shows, every car has tight seats with no ripples.
Those with ripples have been replaced....

So, James I am wrong, but even my car that I purchased in 1983 had tight
seats...

Jack.

Absolutely no doubt, the seats should have ripples, and did come with
ripples when the car was new. I beg to differ with Jack here, as I
can't imagine a car that has been stored indoors its entire life NOT
having ripples. Here's a photo of a NOS seat bottom I just pulled from
the warehouse and dusted off:

http://www.delorean.com/seatbottom.jpg

I wouldn't hazard to guess what makes the leather shrink like the ones
in most DeLoreans today - UV, heat, cold, age? But the remaining NOS
ones here in the warehouse would suffer only from age - and they
aren't shrunk. Anyone who was at the KAPAC warehouse knows that it was
not temperature controlled, though everything was protected from
sublight. Same way here in Houston...

The photo on page 103 of SSI shows an interior - and it's partially
rippled, which incidentally is how the new seat covers look after
they've been in service for some time. A few pages earlier, on 101,
shows the grey seats with ripples, too.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I have fixed up and owned a number of Deloreans since 1983 and not one
> of them has had rippled seats.  Every one including those stored in
> doors its entire life has had tight leather with no ripples.
>
> In fact that is the easiest way to spot a recover is to look for the
> ripples.  Every time I see one, I ask if it was recovered and the
answer
> is yes.
>
> Jack
> 10002, 20069

(SNIP)

Message 23
    From: "Joe OBrien" joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:47am(PDT)

Why not just buy new leather seat covers made for your car, they
will come with the ripples, and will look the best in your car.

Especially if the shop has so little experience with Deloreans they
need descriptions to TRY to make them. You'll probably spend the
same amount or more with the shop.

It is just as affordable to buy the covers, and just have the shop
install them for you.

Just my experienced $0.02

-Joe

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_...> wrote:

> All,
>
> Forgive me if this has been asked on the list before, but I
searched
> the archives with almost every combination I could think of and
> couldn't find a thing...but are our seats supposed to have rippled
> leather going up the middle of the seat or not?  I have heard from
one
> person that yes, the seats are supposed to have ripples in the
> leather, while from an almost equal amount I have heard that it is
> not.  My seats right now do NOT have any ripples, and I am pretty
sure
> it is the original leather (from the looks anyways, I am positive
it's
> 25+ yrs old).  I only ask because I am about to have my seats
> reupholstered by a upholstery shop and want to make sure I give
them
> accurate descriptions of what the seats are supposed to look like
as
> they have little experience w/ Deloreans.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
> VIN2728

Message 24
    From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:47am(PDT)
Subject: Attn:  Matt Spittle

Matt:

This is Todd Nelson, you contacted me off-list today but I am for some reason unable to reply to your PSU email address.  My server says the address doesn't exist.  Could you contact me with another email address?

Sorry to use the DML for this.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Message 25
    From: "Joe OBrien" joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Thu May 18, 2006 7:48am(PDT)

All three of my cars with the original seats have ripples in the
middle.

-Joe