From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 7:14 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3255

1. Re: Stuck Screw Holding Washer Reservoir Basket
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

2. Re: blue anti-freeze??
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Rough running Cold
From: "drumminscorp" drumminscorp_at_dml_yahoo.com

4. Re: Water on Driver Side Floor
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

5. Re: Raffle Car Update (multi-car owners)
From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net

6. Re: Starting Problem...help
From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com

7. MI Spring Meet II - Engine ID Sticker
From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

8. Re: blue anti-freeze??
From: "mike wolterbeek" drsafety101_at_dml_yahoo.com

9. Re: Starting Problem...help
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

10. Re: MI Spring Meet II - Engine ID Sticker
From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com

11. Starting problem and coolant loss - Tip
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

12. Re: Raffle Car Update
From: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com

13. Re: blue anti-freeze??
From: "davvet2" davvet2_at_dml_yahoo.com

14. 180A Altenator.
From: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. Re: Need HELP!!! Odd Idle question...traveling and possibly stuck?!
From: "Michael Cole" stainless_delorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

16. New Delorean Website
From: "jordan rubin" nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com

17. adjustment nut on tranny......
From: "David Hudgins" painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com

18. Twin Turbo Progress
From: "Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd" martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk

Message 1
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:31am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Stuck Screw Holding Washer Reservoir Basket

It's always a pain when the rivnut turns in the fiberglass because the screw is corroded into it. If you can hold the rivnut with a plier what usually happens is you either strip the head of the screw or you break it off. About the best outcome is just to grind the head off and after you get the cover out drill out and replace the rivnut. Consider yourself lucky, only one is giving you trouble!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I'm trying to get to the windshield washer reservoir by the front left
> wheel. There are about 10 bolts to remove from the plastic basket that
> holds the reservoir. I can't get one of the bolts out as it will not
> screw out. It simply turns. How does one get it out? I've tried prying
> a screwdriver between the lip of the basket and the underbody to the
> point that I'm afraid of breaking the basket. Anybody had this problem
> and what do I do to get the screw out?
>
> Shannon

Message 2
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:31am(PDT)
Subject: Re: blue anti-freeze??

Joe,

Green is the OEM color.  Blue antifreeze is usually found in BMW's, as  Dave Swingle will chime in.  Its chemical composition is very similar to  the current G-05 coolant on the market today, such as the orange DCX coolant in  newer vehicles and the yellow stuff that is in newer Fords.  I've had a lot  of people tell me that the G-05 coolant would be acceptable to use in the  DeLorean, and it will last longer too.  Myself, I just refilled with green  last month.

Andy

In a message dated 5/22/2006 9:49:29 A.M. Central Standard Time,
joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I saw a  seller advertise a Delorean saying it had the original blue
antifreeze in  it?

Is it true the Delorean had blue antifreeze from the factory, or  is
this guy just another moron?

I never heard of blue antifreeze  being original in Deloreans before.

-Joe

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 3
    From: "drumminscorp" drumminscorp_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:31am(PDT)
Subject: Rough running Cold

I have read just about every post I could find on this subject but not
able to solve the problem. Car starts well. Idles fine when cold. Step
on the accellerator it coughs and tries to stall. About the time that
the vacuum cuts out from the warm up regulator the car runs fine (I
monitored it with a vacuum guage). I checked for vacuum leaks in that
area and do not have any. Car pulls almost 20" vacuum. I have replaced
the Idle speed computer and the cold start regulator. Any suggestions?

Message 4
    From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:32am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Water on Driver Side Floor

Sandor,
 when was the last time you washed your car? I have found that water
enters the car threw the windshield post trim & some cars the vent
duct (under dash on pass side} gets cracks & lets water in, But if
you want call me we can lift it up & check out all possibilities.
Lawrence

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Sandor Piszar" <piszar_at_dml_...> wrote:

> The cause is probably the same thing that was soaking the
passenger
> side.  Even if you have blown the drain tube out previously there
may
> still have been some leftover debris that blocked it again.  Or
> sometimes the hose gets kinked, or is not lined up correctly in
the
> hole.  You should buy and install a new drain tube and see if that
> corrects your issue.
>

> Sandor
> # 3002

[moderator snip]

Message 5
    From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:33am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Raffle Car Update (multi-car owners)

DCS 2006 will be the best show for multi-DeLorean owners.

I guess if Ken K. is just counting "regular" DeLoreans, yes,
my number is still at 4 (running) "regular" stock and mild
custom DeLoreans, not counting the radical custom DeLoreans
and works-in-progress, which put me into double digit range.
I plan to have 7 or 8 of my DeLoreans at the Saturday show,
but there may be a project car or two that may not make it.

Running a close second in vehicle quantity, but first in the
catagory of "regular" DeLoreans to be attending the show by
one owner will be Tony Swann, with at least 4 of his 6 cars
on the list to attend the Saturday show (maybe 5 of 6), of
which 5 are early cars and 3 of the 5 are in the 500 series.
I wish there was a little more time to get them all done.

If you are still "on the fence" about attending DCS 2006,
keep in mind this may be one of your only chances to see
many of my projects all together at once and to see so many
500 series cars all in one place, with DCS 2006 near Chicago.

If you have not registered yet, please visit the DCS website
and register online or download the registration form, fill
it out and send it to Ken (with a check), to make sure you
do not miss any of the special events planned for DCS 2006.

And just ignore that statement on the DCS 2006 website about
"you don't have to bring your DeLorean", since we really do
want you to bring your DeLorean, if possible, any condition.
We want a new, long standing record for number of DeLoreans.

See you all in a few weeks.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_... wrote:

> snip <
>
> Anyway I am now down to 4 DeLoreans and after June 17th it will be 3.
> So I think the honor of most DeLoreans goes back to Rich.
>
> Ken

Message 6
    From: "Warren Wallingford" warren_at_dml_usadmc.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:34am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Starting Problem...help

Check the inertia switch down by your feet.
Warren at DMC

jedimasterglenn wrote:
> My car has been starting and running fine.  Today though, after
> making a stop, I couldn't get it started.  Engine turned, but
> wouldn't fire.  I tried starting it 3 times every 10 mins for an
> hour (to see if it might be a warm start or cold start problem).
> Each time it would sputter on the first key turn (as though it
> wanted to start), then the engine would just turn the other 2
> times.  So I gave up and had it towed home.  After the tow truck
> left, I tried it again for kicks and...presto, it starts.  What the
> heck?!?
>
> When I went to start it the first time, my foot wasn't all the way
> down on the clutch and the car lurched forward a tiny bit (as it was
> in gear).  I can't think why this would cause a starting issue...but
> what do I know.  Sound like the symptoms of anything?  2 months ago
> I had extensive work done to the fuel system (replaced the pump,
> filter, warm up regulator, cold start valve, thermal time switch,
> plugs and wires, and basically had the remainder of the fuel system
> professionally cleaned up by a specialty car shop).  It's been fine
> till now.  I also put in a new starter and altenator.  Battery is
> fine.
>
> And for the record, banging your head on the steering wheel to start
> a D like Marty does in BTTF doesn't always work.  I tried...
>
> -Glenn

Message 7
    From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 10:35am(PDT)
Subject: MI Spring Meet II - Engine ID Sticker

Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Lormand for opening up their home/garage/grill for all of us
who attended.
Pictures posted here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-MISpring2-06.htm

On one of the cars we ran across an engine sticker we weren't familiar with. I'm
sure someone else out there has seen one of these before. Can you give us any
history as to what this was for? Was this done at KAPAC, a local dealer, or...?
Image here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/images/gallery_images_MISpring2-06/MISpringII-06-11b.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/g79eo

Shannon Y

Message 8

    From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:31pm(PDT)

I did a great job cleaning out my gas tank the first time, I thought.
Eventually the filter at the fuel pickup line would get clogged with
grit and the fuel pump would stop. It was obvious when I turned the key
on and the pump did not make any noise.  Eventually the suction pressure
that is holding some of the debris against the filter screen drops once
the car sits for a while (this is aided immeasureably by hoisting the
car onto a flatbed and taking it home, that seems to help) and a hour or
two later the car starts and runs.

Warren at DMCH told me that is what was happening to my car and I didn't
believe him the first time as I knew I got the tank spotless - but after
the second time it happened I opened it up and he was right.

Similar conditions can exist if your fuel inlet line in the tank
collapses.  There are fixes you can do with a spring, or you can look at
the hoseless pickup and baffle that SpecialTauto sells.

The best thing you can do is to find out what is going on while the car
still won't start.  Is your fuel pump running?  Do you have spark?  Do
you have vacuum?  Is your cold start valve firing?

One thing you can count on with intermittent problems is that they will
happen again.  Put a multimeter, a spark tester, a couple metric
wrenches and if you have one a vacuum gauge in the boot, pony up a few
extra dollars for AAA plus service with 100 mile towing, and keep your
cell phone charged.

Good luck.

Tom

    From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:32pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: MI Spring Meet II - Engine ID Sticker

I don't know, but my car has one of these too.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_...> wrote:

> On one of the cars we ran across an engine sticker we weren't
familiar with. I'm
> sure someone else out there has seen one of these before. Can you
give us any
> history as to what this was for? Was this done at KAPAC, a local
dealer, or...?

> Shannon Y

Message 11
    From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:33pm(PDT)
Subject: Starting problem and coolant loss - Tip

Glenn's experience reminded me I wanted to share something for all to
keep in mind.

I had been relying on the stock clip to keep my otterstat sensor in my
coolant pipe, and the clip let go on the 405 Freeway dumping all my
coolant in about a minute.  I fortunately got off the freeway in seconds
and pulled into a 7-11 right there before anything got too hot.  The
otterstat was still hanging from its wires so refitting it was easy, I
also added a cable tie to keep it in place.

I filled the car again with antifreeze and water and bled the radiator
(thanks Toby for the radiator bleeder!) and was ready to go again in a
matter of minutes - but the car would not start.

After a minute or two of frustration I realized that the engine was
still nice and hot, but the coolant, especially at the thermotime
switch, was relatively cold.  All I had to do was unplug the cold start
valve wire and it started right up.

Message 12
    From: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:34pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Raffle Car Update

Back to Rich??  Not if I win the raffle car!!  :)

--- kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Anyway I am now down to 4 DeLoreans and after June
> 17th it will be 3.
> So I think the honor of most DeLoreans goes back to
> Rich.

Message 13
    From: "davvet2" davvet2_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:34pm(PDT)

I saw that too.

Wonder if he knows that antifreeze turns acidic after it gets old and
eats aluminum and head gaskets! Best way to tell if there's
antifreeze in the oil on a PRV is to drain the oil and look. Kwik
Lube would never see it!

Jim

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> I saw a seller advertise a Delorean saying it had the original blue
> antifreeze in it?
>
> Is it true the Delorean had blue antifreeze from the factory, or is
> this guy just another moron?
>
> I never heard of blue antifreeze being original in Deloreans before.
>
> -Joe

Message 14
    From: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:46pm(PDT)
Subject: 180A Altenator.

FWIW, 01860 has been running with the 180A alternator
for over a year no with no problems.

In comparison of the "idle voltage" of the 180A unit
versus the stock 90A, I'll take the 180A any day.

I'd be interested in seeing real specs on the 90A vs
110A vs 180A units to see how significant the change
is.

Here are the specs on my 180A unit:
(RPM is RPM at the alternator, NOT THE ENGINE)

1600 RPM: 73.1A
1800 RPM: 94.5A
3000 RPM: 155.9A
6000 RPM: 179.1A
8000 RPM: 183.3A

The crank shaft pulley is approx 6" diameter, while
the alternator is approx 2.5".

So, the alternator is spinning 2.4X faster than the
engine.

DMC should idle at 775RMP, so that would be 1860 RPM
(Wow!  My VIN, what a coincidence!) on the alternator.
 SO, at IDLE the 180A alternator is putting out more
power than the MAXIMUM of the stock alternator.   How
could that be bad?

I do agree with Dave, that to get the full benefit of
a high-power alternator, some of the other electrical
systems should be upgraded.  Most noted, the
electrical connection from the alternator to the
firewall.

The mistake most people make is thinking a high-power
alternator will fix all of their electrical problems.

--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net> wrote:

> There are several reasons why it doesn't make sense

Message 15
    From: "Michael Cole" stainless_delorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Need HELP!!!  Odd Idle question...traveling and possibly stuck?!

Problem update:

David, Elvis, and others:

This weekend, Mike took his car over to help a couple of D owners pull
an intake and restore a valley of death, and during down time, they
had time to spend on the freak idle issue.

As a precaution, they went ahead and switched Idle Speed Motors just
to check, and they noticed that when the main harness was moved, the
engine was reving up.  Derek took off the coil cover and sure enough,
one of the harnesses was connected but apparently not making good
contact.  After that the car's idle issue seemed to be solved...
however on the ride home, he threw an alternator belt...again.  The
first one was because the guy who did the exhaust manifolds over
tightened it, but this time hes gonna sand down the pulleys because it
now seems that the belt isnt gripping and seems to just be burning
off.  Small potatoes, but thank you all for your help with the idle issue.

Mike C.

> Bad ECU or stuck idle motor
>
> Check the big plug on the top of the ECU behind the drivers seat,
unplug it
> and reseat. Switch your ECU with a working one.
>
> Stuck idle motor- pull the black connector off the idle motor when the
> engine is racing, if the idle drops down or dies, thats the problem.
>
> Dave Sontos

Message 16
    From: "jordan rubin" nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:49pm(PDT)
Subject: New Delorean Website

Hey everyone,

Its taken quite a bit of time but i'm happy to say
that my new site will be going up within the month.
This new server is a complete departure from my old
manual posting of howto information.  Now Im opening
it up to the community.

The APACHE/PHP sever now generated HOWTO's on the fly
from the SQL database, Has its own HOWTO creation
program, automatically generates PDF files of Howto's
on demand, and provides all sorts of wonderfull
statistics.

When I get back from Eurofest, I will be opening up
the site to a few selected beta testers to provide
some input on improvments.

in the mean time, I do have a few things for everyone,
while not finished will give you an idea of whats
going on.

http://www.mydelorean.net/mainpage.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/howtopage.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/howtopage2.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/howtopage4.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/howtopage6.jpg

Jordan

Message 17
    From: "David Hudgins" painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 3:55pm(PDT)
Subject: adjustment nut on tranny......

I am wondering if any one has taken the adj nut off the tranny to replace the
oring on the side .. you know the one on the left side outside of the lip seal.. I
have already replaced both lip seals and I can see the oring is wet and
leaking slightly.. Rob Grady said to post here to see how people take it off
cause I dont have the tool to do it.. I know u have to count the turns and mark it
but that shouldnt be a problem.. I just want to get this drip fixed.. its
annoying..Dave....vin.. 15275

Message 18
    From: "Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd" martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 22, 2006 4:01pm(PDT)
Subject: Twin Turbo Progress

Hi All

This afternoon, #2727 moved under its own steam for the first time in
months. Only to be reversed out of the shop but considering it drove in
with a completely different engine and an automatic transmission, it was
a proud moment notching it into gear and lifting the clutch. It only has
to do an 800 mile round trip to Belfast within the week....The engine is
smooth with a capital smoo, I'm really starting to like this EFI
business... :-D

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2233.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2234.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2235.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2236.JPG
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DSCN2237.JPG

Yes, the intercoolers are slightly on the bonk, but this is what happens
when you rush things at the last minute because your radiator guy is
going on holiday.
Yes it did have an oil leak, that was sorted before the photos were taken
Yes, the air filters have now been oiled
No, there are no original Walker mufflers, but the Aston Martin exhaust
tips have wadding in them and really do make a difference
Yes the rear impact absorber has seen better days.
Yes the wiring has now been tidied up
The hoses are blue because we needed them in a hurry and that was the
only colour on the shelf
The intake pipwork has been re-worked and moved about to fit inside the
rear closing plate. It's very tight.

Off to a rolling road tomorrow for full mapping (I just got it idling
and warming up) and then Ireland on Wedneaday - see you at Eurofest!!!

Martin
DMCL