From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:52 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3257

1. Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

2. seatbelt issue
From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk

3. Re: How many DeLoreans do you own?
From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com

4. Re: Rough running Cold
From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com

5. Carfax account
From: "abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com" abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

6. For those who have to stay at home and cannot join the Eurofest 2006
From: "frenkieboy" dmc_at_dml_frenkieboy.demon.nl

7. Re: adjustment nut on tranny......
From: "ksgrimsr" knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

8. Re: Rough Idle on Cold Start
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

9. Radio fuses
From: "Dave Phelps" dphelps17_at_dml_gmail.com

10. Re: Rough Idle on Cold Start
From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: How many DeLoreans do you own?
From: "byrondelorean" celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com

12. Re: Alternator upgrade troubles
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

13. Re: Starting Problem...help
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

14. Eurofest 2006 website
From: "frenkieboy" dmc_at_dml_frenkieboy.demon.nl

15. Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!
From: "Tell you if you ask." racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com

16. Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!
From: "Rod Dillman" rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com

17. Re: A/C Trouble
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

18. 1981 DeLorean E-Bay
From: "byrondelorean" celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com

19. "Automobiles" on History Channel
From: "Travis Graham" tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com

20. Re: A/C Trouble
From: "Videobob Moseley" videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com

21. Re: Radio fuses
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

22. Re: Cracked Windshield in Western Maryland!
From: "rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com" rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com

23. Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

24. Re: A/C Trouble
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

25. Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!
From: "edward j cohen" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net

Message 1
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com
Date: Wed May 24, 2006 4:47am(PDT)
Subject: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!

A couple weeks ago, my windshield started to crack.  I contacted my insurance company and they said to call the glass company of my choice.  I know only DMCH or the UK has the windshields prettyt much, just need someone to put it in.  The place that replaced the windshield in my Jeep a year ago backed out.  They didn't want to replace a DeLorean windshield because of the car's "value" (insert laughing face here).  My insurance agent said she has just used all of her resources finding someone local to install a windshield.  Everyone backed away.  In her thirty years of car insurance, she has never encountered this before.  She asked if I know any owners in PA because I may have luck with a shop up there.  Dan Plakosh, Dave Stragand and Jeff Porter, do you know anyone with DeLorean windshield experience?
Anyone in eastern Maryland?  I don't really have time/money for a road trip cross country for a window installation.  Someone has to know someone.

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Message 2
    From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 6:57am(PDT)
Subject: seatbelt issue

My DeLorean has a red/pink plastic part on the drivers side seat belt assembly and the passenger side has a blue plastic part.  I ordered a replacement for each from a vendor (parts 100701 & 100702).  I received a red/pink seat belt which is nice and straight forward but instead of blue the replacement has arrived with it in white instead.

Anyone know if whether or not it matters that I now have a white instead of blue?

Message 3
    From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 6:57am(PDT)
Subject: Re: How many DeLoreans do you own?

Do VIN plates count, or do you need to have more than just parts of the car?  If those count.....i've got about 5 Deloreans.

  Erik
  4512....my only drivable car.

Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
  Got me beat...

1860 (Automatic, Black, Legend Engine)
6049 (5 speed, gray, stock engine.. Needs resto work)
6068 (5 speed, gray, Nissan VQ35 engine)

--- Lawrence Lormand wrote:

> Whats the most cars any one has any way? I have 5
> cars, I
> disassembled 2. now I have 3 driving cars & just put
> a bid in on
> another For the DEA. they were all running when I
> got them, I just
> like to dis-member them & check them out all the
> way,
>
> Lawrence
> vin's/00538m,00915a,1024m,4873a,10497a & hopefully
> 10003m

Message 4
    From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 6:58am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Rough running Cold

I had these symptoms until I replaced my air filter for one that
wasn't badly clogged.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "drumminscorp" <drumminscorp_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> I have read just about every post I could find on this subject but
not
> able to solve the problem. Car starts well. Idles fine when cold.
Step
> on the accellerator it coughs and tries to stall. About the time
that
> the vacuum cuts out from the warm up regulator the car runs fine
(I
> monitored it with a vacuum guage). I checked for vacuum leaks in
that
> area and do not have any. Car pulls almost 20" vacuum. I have
replaced
> the Idle speed computer and the cold start regulator. Any
suggestions?

Message 5
    From: "abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com" abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 6:59am(PDT)
Subject: Carfax account

Fellow DMCers,
If anyone has an open carfax account please contact me at
_ABatt10347_at_dml_aol.com_ (mailto:ABatt10347_at_dml_aol.com) .
Thank you,
Bruce Battles

Message 6
    From: "frenkieboy" dmc_at_dml_frenkieboy.demon.nl
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:00am(PDT)
Subject: For those who have to stay at home and cannot join the Eurofest 2006

Hi everybody,

Tomorrow we start the trip from the Netherlands to Belfast. Of course, not everybody can join
this unique event, but especially for those who stay at home curious about what is happening
in Ireland, I will make a website, and try to update it regularly with stories and pictures. You
can visit :

http://www.delorean.tk/Eurofest2006/Welcome.html

I give no guarantee that everything will work smooth, but as soon as we get to Belfast, I will
try to upload some more pics from the ride over there. Have fun, or see you in Belfast !!!!!

Have fun !!!!!

Frenkieboy
www.frenkie.nl
www.delorean.tk

Message 7
    From: "ksgrimsr" knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:00am(PDT)
Subject: Re: adjustment nut on tranny......

The diagrams make it appear that you have to take the adjustment nut
off to replace the seals, but this is not actually the case. I
replaced my tranny seals and sleeved the flanges a little while back
(to keep my shop floor clean), and Dave Swingle provided the
valuable advice that the seals can be replaced without messing with
the adjustment nut.

It comes apart just fine with ability to replace the
seals without needing to mess with the nut. I presume you're talking
about the weeping around the flange and not some other seal
(hopefully I didn't misunderstand). If you replace the seals you
might as well also sleeve the flange since you have the flange out
anyway.

  Knut

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_>
wrote:

> > I am wondering if any one has taken the adj nut off the tranny to
> replace the
> > oring on the side .. you know the one on the left side outside of
> the lip seal.. I
> > have already replaced both lip seals and I can see the oring is
wet and
> > leaking slightly.. Rob Grady said to post here to see how people
> take it off
> > cause I dont have the tool to do it.. I know u have to count the
> turns and mark it
> > but that shouldnt be a problem.. I just want to get this drip
> fixed.. its
> > annoying..Dave....vin.. 15275

Message 8
    From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:00am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Rough Idle on Cold Start

Stefan
Check the injectors.

    From: "Dave Phelps" dphelps17_at_dml_gmail.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:02am(PDT)
Subject: Radio fuses

My radio quit working today so I checked the inline fuses and one of them
fell down & I can't find it.  I believe there is a green and a purple wire
if I remember correctly.  Thanks

Dave,

Message 10
    From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:02am(PDT)

Check the throttle plate adjustment. The stop screw may be adjusted
such that the plates are not completely closed or the throttle cable
may be holding them open slightly.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> So this is what I did, I just replaced my idle speed motor with a
> brand new one which works perfect, however on a cold start the
engine
> idle fluctuates from about 600 rpm to 1500rpm very violently, but I
> adjusted the fuel mixture and the car idles perfect when warm its
just
> on cold start that it idles bad. I dont have any vaccuum leaks that
> know of, plus I had a mechanic check for vaccum leaks with some
macine
> a few months ago. So im not sure what to check. Any ideas?

Message 11
    From: "byrondelorean" celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:03am(PDT)

Got three, well Sort of.
#3947 my baby originally purchased by my father brand new, sat from
85, fully reconditioned 04.
running great 11,000 true miles to date.
Vin # 2734 for sale on e-bay as we speak, with an honest mileage,
Vin# 10382, sitting in my barn in Massachusetts since 1991,my father
originally purchased this brand new also, 34,00 original miles.
Once I sell the car on e-bay, the 82 Gray Automatic will get what it
deserves. Mint it out to 100%. This one may require Houston's
Assistance with power Stage III? if it comes out in time.

Speaking of which, I am not into loud pipes at all. Is it possible
to have serious HP and balls, without making a ton of noise?
I like suttle evil zzzzzzzoooooom catch me if you can instead of
GRRRRRROWLLLLL FROOM can't hear myself think, or the ambulance
trailing behind me.

  originaly purchased --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Marc Levy
<malevy_nj_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Got me beat...
>
> 1860 (Automatic, Black, Legend Engine)
> 6049 (5 speed, gray, stock engine..  Needs resto work)
> 6068 (5 speed, gray, Nissan VQ35 engine)
>

> --- Lawrence Lormand <lawrencesr_at_dml_...> wrote:
>
> > Whats the most cars any one has any way? I have 5
> > cars, I
> > disassembled 2. now I have 3 driving cars & just put
> > a bid in on
> > another For the DEA. they were all running when I
> > got them, I just
> > like to dis-member them & check them out all the
> > way,
> >
> > Lawrence
> > vin's/00538m,00915a,1024m,4873a,10497a & hopefully
> > 10003m

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Message 12
    From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:04am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Alternator upgrade troubles

Ryan, I know this response is late, but the lower the amperage output of the
alternator the faster the turn on speed, that's why the 110 is doing so
well. The only draw back is that you only have 110 amps total.
The higher the amperage output the higher the turn on speed.

    From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:06am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Starting Problem...help

Glenn, Have you replaced the accumulator.

    From: "frenkieboy" dmc_at_dml_frenkieboy.demon.nl
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:06am(PDT)
Subject: Eurofest 2006 website

Hi everone at home,

check my new website for daily updates and pics of the eurofest 2006 :

http://www.delorean.tk/Eurofest2006/Welcome.html

Have fun !!!!

Frank

Message 15
    From: "Tell you if you ask." racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:07am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Cracked Winshield in Western Maryland!

I have helped replace a windshield on Brian Pollard's car.

In truth it's not that bad and I intend to replace mine this summer.
It's been cracked since I bought it 4 years ago.

The process is simple:

1. Remove all black metal trim around the windshield.
2. Remove all rubber seals around the windshield.
3. Using a lagging knife from Home Depot, heat with a propane torch
and plunge it into the rubber adhesive between the glass & fiberglass
body, cutting as far as you can until the blade cools. Repeat until
you've cut the entire perimeter of the glass. Kick the windshield out
from the inside.
4. Use thinner and a scraper to get the fiberglass frame perfectly
clean.
5. Use 3M windshield adhesive and lay a new bead around the
windshield frame perimeter.
6. With a helper, lay the new glass in place. Gently seat it. Let
cure for at least 12 hours. 24 would be better.
7. Install new seals around the windshield.
8. Replace the metal trim.
9. Drive.

Alignment is simple. If you look, you can see that the glass rests on
two metal clips at the bottom. That's it. It's simpler than most
vehicles. Don't try to reuse the rubber seals that you'll be
removing. Buy new ones. I've seen seals from a variety of vendors. PJ
Grady's seem to fit and seal best.

A "lagging knife" is a thin, flat blade that looks like a pirate's
hook squashed flat. If you remember, I live in MD so I may be able to
assist you. In fact, it might be beneficial as an educational seminar
for all MD owners.

Oh, you must order a new rearview mirror with adhesive TAPE. Do NOT
glue the mirror to the glass using a "button". The glass will crack.
It happens every time. Someone even just posted a picture. DMCH has
what you need.

I hope this helps.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> A couple weeks ago, my windshield started to crack.  I contacted my
> insurance company and they said to call the glass company of my
> choice.  I know only DMCH or the UK has the windshields prettyt
much,
> just need someone to put it in.  The place that replaced the
> windshield in my Jeep a year ago backed out.  They didn't want to
> replace a DeLorean windshield because of the car's "value" (insert
> laughing face here).  My insurance agent said she has just used all
of
> her resources finding someone local to install a windshield.
Everyone
> backed away.  In her thirty years of car insurance, she has never
> encountered this before.  She asked if I know any owners in PA
because
> I may have luck with a shop up there.  Dan Plakosh, Dave Stragand
and
> Jeff Porter, do you know anyone with DeLorean windshield
experience?
> Anyone in eastern Maryland?  I don't really have time/money for a
road
> trip cross country for a window installation.  Someone has to know
> someone.
>
> Matt
> VIN: 2953
> Frostburg, MD

Message 16
    From: "Rod Dillman" rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:07am(PDT)

Matt,  Safelite Auto Glass has the glass and will replace the windshield. Call 1-800-835-2257 to locate the shop nearest  you. They have one warehouse in Greensboro NC with over 3.5 million pices of auto glass.  Good Luck.  Rod

conundrum1984 <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:  A couple weeks ago, my windshield started to crack. I contacted my
[...]

Message 17
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:12am(PDT)
Subject: Re: A/C Trouble

Your A/C symptoms can be caused by one of the following:
Overcharge and the high limit is shutting you down
Undercharge and the low limit is shutting you down
Moisture in the system and it freezes shutting you down

The cure is pretty much the same for all 3. Have a shop remove the
refrigerent, vacuum out the system, and measure a fill back in. If
very contaminated you should replace the accumulator.
    That wire you are reffering to is probably the wire going down the
side of the motor to the low oil pressure sensor. If you ground it (or
the sensor does) it should light the low oil pressure light. The
sensor is located on the left rear of the motor. You can see it from
under the car.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi guys, long time no see....
> My car has been down for about 6 months or more with a bad water pump

Message 18
    From: "byrondelorean" celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:12am(PDT)
Subject: 1981 DeLorean E-Bay

ViewItem&item=4642342045
  SCEDT26TXBD002734
Hello all,
I have this DeLorean listed on e-bay, I am a member of DeLorean Owners
association, Midwest DeLorean Club and OhioDeloreans club. I would
appreciate your support in the sale of this car. I will never sell it
less than what I am asking. E-Bay seems to be a good place to list;
but word of mouth may help as well. Any one that passes on a leed from
DML that results in the sale of this beautiful example will get $100
for promoting it.
I appreciate your your support. This car, as you all will see in the
pictures is no joke.
Byron

Message 19
    From: "Travis Graham" tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 10:54am(PDT)
Subject: "Automobiles" on History Channel

My TiVo has been diligently grabbing episodes of "Automobiles" on the
History Channel and I've been going through them.  It's amazing how
often references to John DeLorean are made.  Rarely an episode goes
by without at least mentioning his name and the Firebird episode put
him in the spotlight for a while.  He was even referenced in the
Datsun Z car episode!

The series was made about 10 years ago, but it's still interesting
nonetheless.

Travis Graham

Message 20
    From: "Videobob Moseley" videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 10:56am(PDT)

Update....
Yesterday while talking to Warren on the phone I fired up the car with the
A/C on MAX.
I let it idle for about 1/2 hour and the car ran cool as a cucumber and the
air was ice cold.
So I decided to run down to the post office, everything was fine.
When I re-started the car....no cold air?
...as I got home the fuse for the AC blew.
The wire to the AC was hot as fire and it melted the block.

I re-wired the fuse with an external inline fuse link and tried it again.
I cranked up the car again and had a look....
the clutch was trying to move, a little.
I used a pole to tap it and give it a shove and it locked and started
spinning and working.
On close inspection I could see metal shavings around the inside
of the clutch.
So it seems the problem is the clutch, or the electronic mechanism
that activates the clutch.

Any ideas?

- VB

>From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: A/C Trouble
>Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:00:13 -0000
>
>Your A/C symptoms can be caused by one of the following:
>Overcharge and the high limit is shutting you down
>Undercharge and the low limit is shutting you down
>Moisture in the system and it freezes shutting you down

[moderator snip]

Message 21
    From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 11:02am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Radio fuses

Dave, Try 3 amps.

    From: "rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com" rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 11:04am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Cracked Windshield in Western Maryland!

Matt,

We also carry DeLorean NOS windshields and have been installing them since
1981. If you don't mind making the (four hours plus) trip we can handle the
insurance company negotiations (they often try to box you in with a NEBS
price on inferior glass) as well as the installation for you. You would have
to let the car sit overnight to fully cure before traveling back home.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

    From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:50pm(PDT)

Rod,
Thought DMCH was the only place?

Matt

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Matt,  Safelite Auto Glass has the glass and will replace the
windshield. Call 1-800-835-2257 to locate the shop nearest  you. They
have one warehouse in Greensboro NC with over 3.5 million pices of
auto glass.  Good Luck.  Rod

Message 24
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:51pm(PDT)

If the gap between the clutch and the pulley is too large the clutch
cannot pull everything together to fully engage. You will need a
special wrench to hold the clutch to disassemble it. Inside there are
washers that you can add or remove to set the gap properly. You have
to remove the belt and the compressor to do this but you don't have to
disconnect the hoses, you can just swing the compressor over enough to
get access to the clutch. If the clutch or pulley is badly worn from
slipping you may need to replace the worn parts. It also sounds like
your system is not cycling like it should. The compressor should not
run constantly. If it does you will overheat the wiring to the clutch
and the cooling fan circuit. You could also freeze the evaporator coil.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Update....
> Yesterday while talking to Warren on the phone I fired up the car
with the
> A/C on MAX.

Message 25
    From: "edward j  cohen" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net
    Date: Wed May 24, 2006 7:52pm(PDT)

I called Safelight...  They do not have the windshield even though they show
it on their website.  I live in Florida and the only place I have found so
far is the DMC in Bonita Springs,Fl.  3 1/2 hours from Orlando
ED
> Matt,  Safelite Auto Glass has the glass and will replace the windshield.
> Call 1-800-835-2257 to locate the shop nearest  you. They have one
> warehouse in Greensboro NC with over 3.5 million pices of auto glass.
> Good Luck.  Rod

[moderator snip]