From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 8:49 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3263

From: "timnagin" timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com

From: "Parts Pit Mike" thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com

From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Alistair McCann" pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

From: "Steve" p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Parts Pit Mike" thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Alan Roberts" twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net

From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk

From: "dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net" dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

From: "Michael Babb" mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com

From: "Chris Shepherd" chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "therealdmcvegas" dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com

From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net

From: "lordshill1" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com

From: "PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

From: "timnagin" timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com
Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:11am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Letting people use our cars

Tell her to visit DCS. :)

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com [mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of coreysmoo
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:45 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Letting people use our cars

I got a note on my windsheild wiper today while my D was parked at a movie theater.  The note is from a musician who would like to use my car for the cover of a CD.  Has anyone ever lent their car for anything like this?  What would be customary/reasonable to ask for in return?  I would probably drive the car there and all they want to do is take pictures of and with the car, so no one else will probably need to drive it.  I just have not done anything like this and don't quite know how to go about it.

The note reads as...

"Hi!  My name is Melissa and I'm a musician based in Chicago.  I'm looking for a unique vehicle to include in the cover photography for my album.  Your car wound be PERFECT!  Please e-mail me as soon as possible if you are interested."

Corey

Message 2
    From: "Parts Pit Mike" thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:12am(PDT)
Subject: Fuel Spill Problem

Hi list,

  Potential trouble with 17076 surfaced last night after her first show & shine debut.

  This is only the second time I have filled her up with gas and on this occassion a crowd of about 8 to 10 had gathered to watch. Suddenly one of the onloookers on the passenger side shouted.. "Hey, you're leaking gas!"

  The pump had not automatically shut off as they are supposed to do when the tank nears the top, but no fuel at all was in the gas intake and none -- not a single drop -- had overflowed into the trunk or even the tiny "overspill containment area" around the intake.

  Either 2 things have happened.. Either I have a hole in the top of my gas tank or the Delorean has some sort of overflow protection in the gas pipe leading up to the trunk intake.

  It was a substantial spill and fortunately some onlookers helped push the car forward. When I started the car (seat belt off and door open) the fuel gauge read above the 4/4 mark. Drove around to burn off fuel and get below the 4/4 and parked the car. Not a drop on the pavement.

  Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

  Parts Pit Mike

Message 3
    From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:12am(PDT)
Subject: Re: regulator problem?

Peter,

First of all I would make sure tha your battery is good and that it is fully charged.  Alternators are made to maintain the battery charge.  I had the 90A motorola alternator in my car when I got it and my voltage dipped below 13, especially when the engine was hot.  I bought a 130 amp DeLorean alternator several months later and the difference is phenomenal.  My car runs so much better now because it has the power it needs.

-Chris

"Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov> wrote: My car (vin 3579) has been running fine (with expert attention from Rob Grady every now and then) since it came into my possession almost two years ago, has been a reliable daily driver, and I'm very happy with it. But...

Couple days ago I noticed that voltage was dropping when I would turn on lights, fans,...,

Message 4
    From: "Alistair McCann" pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13am(PDT)
Subject: FAN FAIL Options

Hi all

All through Eurofest I was told by a number of people to replace the Fan Fail setup I have.

It is from one of the reputable dealers in the states and has always worked for me but recently has started doing funny things when my fans are on.

Is there another option that I can go for? The way things are going I might even return to the stock relays!

Any help in this matter would be most helpfull.

Alistair McCann
Vin: Pilot 25
Belfast.

Message 5
    From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13am(PDT)

Make sure the belt is not slipping. Have the battery tested. Have the alternator tested. You may have some loose/dirty electrical connections. It can be any of these or a combination. If you have been jumping the car you may have blown some of the diodes in the alternator and now it is not putting out it's full rated output. If the battery is chronically undercharged you may not be driving the car enough to fully charge the battery.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_...> wrote:

> My car (vin 3579) has been running fine (with expert attention from
Rob Grady every now and then) since it came into my possession almost two years ago, has been a reliable daily driver, and I'm very happy with it. But...

> Couple days ago I noticed that voltage was dropping when I would turn
> on

Message 6
    From: "Steve" p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13am(PDT)
Subject: Transmission Computer, Again

Group,

Does any one have a schematic or any type of electrical drawing on the automatic transmission computer?  Even a partial drawing on a napkin will help.  I am trying to figure out a broken computer.  According to the archives, doctorDHD or Mark Hershey have some pretty good ideas on how the thing works.

Also, anyone thought about just replacing the computer with press buttons and mount them on the steering wheel?  A couple buttons on the steering wheel (like the Audi sports
shifting) are certainly more rugged than the darn computer in the transmission.

Thanks.

Steve
VIN#04421

Message 7
    From: "Parts Pit Mike" thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:14am(PDT)

Spoke to a "Picture Car" company up here in Toronto, Canada.

  He would charge $1,100.00 per shoot day for a Delorean.

  Still photos are another matter and would obviously depend upon whether this was an independent band or one from a label. My guess is an independent if "Melissa" left the note on your car.

  Who knows.. maybe it wasn't the car Melissa was interested in.  :>)

  Parts Pit Mike

Message 8
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:14am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Clock - Faded and Ugly

I'd rather replace the clock, but if you want small letters, use the ones that go in the wheel center caps.  Those are about the right size for what  you want.

Andy

In a message dated 5/28/2006 8:29:59 P.M. Central Standard Time, tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com writes:

My clock  is faded/frosted, really takes away from an otherwise beautiful  interior.  Anybody have any suggestions on how to make it look  better, a short term fix until I figure out the best long term solution.  How about painting it black, just to blend it in.  If  so, what paint matches the best. Would be nice to paint it black, then put on the DMC logo similar to the pieces used on the door sill, anyone know where to get small ones like that.  Any  suggestions?

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 9
    From: "Alan  Roberts" twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:14am(PDT)
Subject: Re: regulator problem vin 3579.

Two things go check.  First measure the voltage at the output of the alternator...if it is correct (above 13 volts) then start looking for bad grounds and + 12 volt connections.

Checking the alternator output (from its output terminal to the case of the alternator)  will show the condition of the alternator.  After that bad grounds or + 12 connections will show as voltage loss.  My favorite suggestion is, after the alternator is eliminated as a problem, measure the voltage between the case of the alternator and a ground point in the car...if you see anything above one or two tenths of a volt, then start looking for bad grounds.  This is best looked for with a system load...lights on or lights and a/c on with the motor running.  All will be revealed.

Al
Al Roberts
twodelo2_at_dml_earthlink.net
#4639/#16049

Message 10
    From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:14am(PDT)
Subject: Ireland Show 25th anniversary

My thanks to Rob Lamrock for a job well done.

I am not sure of the total cars there but I have a shot of 70 vehicle plates so there were at least that many.  Great turnout and we made a lot of new friends and reaquainted with some old ones.

This time we took the group bus and it was a great.
The factory tour was again emotional and put everything in perspective.  To see 70 plus cars drive through the gates after 25 years for some was very emotional.

Rob did a great job in getting people from the factory to come and talk to us.  I believe there were at least 6 people there.

George Crane again led the effort of former Employees and added to the history of the plant.

Attendance was way up over last show and is a tribute to the work Rob has done to bring the European community together for such an event.

Job well done can't wait for the next time.  We willbe back.

Message 11
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:15am(PDT)
Subject: trans seal leak... still!!

Hey Group,

My driver's side axle seal on my manual transmission is leaking.  I  have replaced the seal, the o-ring, and got a reconditioned and sleeved yoke  from Grady.  Still leaks!  I think there is a groove caused by a  seal-pulling tool in
the transmission casing between the seal and casing.   I am thinking I might
be able to fix this by putting some kind of silicone on  the seal where it touches the casing.

Any idea on what type to use?  If this doesn't work, I am out of  ideas.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 12
    From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:15am(PDT)
Subject: (no subject)

http://deloreancarshow.com/delorean-raffle-car-gallery.html

The above link is a bunch of Pictures taken last week of the raffle car.
No one can say its not a chick magnet from a few of the photos we have.

The car is ready to roll for the new owner.

So if you want to purchase a ticket please go to www.DeLoreancarshow.com and click on the raffle car link.

Tickets over this weekend have been moving fast

Remember to event register those that have rooms

Great show in Ireland

Message 13
    From: "Chris Hawes" chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:15am(PDT)
Subject: EUROFEST!

Arrived home a few hours ago and just got up after a bit of a sleep.  Came back with 3 other cars, but the sat nav took me off route from them minutes after leaving the ferry.

Eurofest was outstanding, it was great to catch up with familiar faces and also meet new ones.

The time trials were my favourite part of the whole event and being part of a convoy where the car blended in for once.  Judging the interiors was also hugely rewarding.  I also operated the 'perfect' gullwing door on one of the concourse cars.  This was the gentle, smooth and small amount of action required to lift the handle, the quick smooth rise and the little resistance to close with a virtually missable 'click' rather than a louder clunk as it is closed with your little finger.

On the way home I took a detour to find a suitable 'surface' to push the barrier on my cars top speed.  I reached a never before 128mph (170mph
speedo) before running out of space.  The GPS at lower speeds confirmed the speedo to be accurate to within +/- 2mph.  I don't think there could have been much capacity to go quicker, but I was impressed.  I didn't know that it could go that quick.  It has a similar setup up to a 'Stage 1' with a not so free-flow non standard partially stainless exhaust system running with the original manifolds.

Lets hope there is another event in 2011 and from my point of view I would like more performance driving brought into the schedule as the time trials was immense fun.

Giants Causeway will always be memorable as it is where I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes!

Looking forward to Lotus

Regards

Chris Hawes
Vin 5255 aka UIJ 197

Message 14
    From: "dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net" dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:15am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Turbo to non-turbo conversion

There should be no runnability issues that can not be overcome.
You will need to recurve your distributor back to the stock setting so it fully advances. that is probably the most hidden change.

Of course you will also need to buy stock manifolds and muffler. Plug the oil drains into the pan.
 If you are going to put it back totally to stock you would need to relocate the alternator and replace the stock water pipe that was modified for the conversion. The alternator and piping can be left modified with no issues.

Feel free to contact me privately if you have any questions as I have done the Island conversion and can lead you backwards if desired.

Cecil Longwisch
Twin water cooled turbo #10663

Message 15
    From: "Michael Babb" mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:17am(PDT)

I had the same problem with the clock in my car, and since I had a clock
in the aftermarket radio I installed, here is what I did:

http://www.babbtechnology.com/pics/3472images/inside/controls.jpg
(http://tinyurl.com/m84aa)

Michael
VIN 3472

tuxr wrote:
> My clock is faded/frosted, really takes away from an otherwise
> beautiful interior.  Anybody have any suggestions on how to make it
> look better, a short term fix until I figure out the best long term
> solution.  How about painting it black, just to blend it in.  If so,
> what paint matches the best. Would be nice to paint it black, then put
> on the DMC logo similar to the pieces used on the door sill, anyone
> know where to get small ones like that.  Any suggestions?

Message 16
    From: "Chris Shepherd" chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 10:12am(PDT)

If you really want to go back to stock I think I have everything you need. If you would like to work a trade contact me off list. I'd like some pictures of the rust and a good description of the parts.

Dirt Ronin <resdog_at_dml_westol.com> wrote:
  I have an 81 Delorean with an Island twin turbo kit. There is a lot
of rust in the exhausts from sitting and instead of replacing the
Island exhaust - I was thikning about installing a regular
muffler/ehaust and removing the turbo kit completel

Message 17
    From: "therealdmcvegas" dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 10:15am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Top Gear

Wow! That's a pretty big increase in price! Last year or so they had
the prices on their website, and they said that for the U.S. market,
they were only going to be around $35K or so. Still, for the
performance, they're definetly a great buy.

For anyone who curious about the Ariel Atom, or the show "Top Gear",
here's a video link that'll give you an insight into both.

http://tinyurl.com/nkvby

In the past, it's been discussed about what kind of cars DeLorean
owners "graduate" to. Which people have usually expressed as either a
Dodge Viper, or a Chevy Corvette. I've never really been a fan of
either car. I have a long list of reasons why I don't like the
Corvette (including a door malfuction in a C6 where I got trapped
inside the car), and the interior of the Viper just looks cheap and
uninspired. I'm also a big guy who needs a comfortable seat, and lots
of leg room, so that rules out a Pantera. So if I ever got another
sports car, I figure that I'd want something totally different than my
DeLorean. Otherwise, I'm probably just going to drop a more powerful
engine into my car. I just love it that much!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I want an Arieal Atom too, what an awesome car.  I priced one out, but
> 79K is a bit much for a toy. Did you see the video on Google, I bet
> all of them are available on Google.
>
> Bernie

Message 18
    From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:54pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Fuel Spill Problem

Ill bet the fuel pump boot is not sealing. I had a similar problem
and that is what it turned out to be.

Nathan
2277
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Hi list,
>
>   Potential trouble with 17076 surfaced last night after her first
show & shine debut.

>   This is only the second time I have filled her up with gas and
on this occassion a crowd of about 8 to 10 had gathered to watch.
Suddenly one of the onloookers on the passenger side shouted.. "Hey,
you're leaking gas!"

>   The pump had not automatically shut off as they are supposed to
do when the tank nears the top, but no fuel at all was in the gas
intake and none -- not a single drop -- had overflowed into the
trunk or even the tiny "overspill containment area" around the
intake.

>   Either 2 things have happened.. Either I have a hole in the top
of my gas tank or the Delorean has some sort of overflow protection
in the gas pipe leading up to the trunk intake.

>   It was a substantial spill and fortunately some onlookers helped
push the car forward. When I started the car (seat belt off and door
open) the fuel gauge read above the 4/4 mark. Drove around to burn
off fuel and get below the 4/4 and parked the car. Not a drop on the
pavement.

>   Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?
>
>   Parts Pit Mike

Message 19
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:54pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Ubder the dash

It's not the clock connector, its right next to the steering wheel
shaft. Rectanguar in shape.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...> wrote:

> If it is a round looking white connector it is probably the connector
> for the clock on the early vin's. It can be an excellant point to pick
> up power and ground if you add electrical accessories. Don't draw too
> heavy on it.

Message 20
    From: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:54pm(PDT)

You may have popped the fuel pump off the top of the tank.  If you can
move it it's popped off.  Loosen the clamp and reseat it.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
>   Potential trouble with 17076 surfaced last night after her first
show & shine debut.

>   This is only the second time I have filled her up with gas and on
this occassion a crowd of about 8 to 10 had gathered to watch.
Suddenly one of the onloookers on the passenger side shouted.. "Hey,
you're leaking gas!"

>   The pump had not automatically shut off as they are supposed to do
when the tank nears the top, but no fuel at all was in the gas intake
and none -- not a single drop -- had overflowed into the trunk or even
the tiny "overspill containment area" around the intake.

>   Either 2 things have happened.. Either I have a hole in the top of
my gas tank or the Delorean has some sort of overflow protection in
the gas pipe leading up to the trunk intake.

>   It was a substantial spill and fortunately some onlookers helped
push the car forward. When I started the car (seat belt off and door
open) the fuel gauge read above the 4/4 mark. Drove around to burn off
fuel and get below the 4/4 and parked the car. Not a drop on the pavement.

>   Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?
>
>   Parts Pit Mike

Message 21
    From: "lordshill1" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:55pm(PDT)
Subject: E-Bay # 4645008633

Hello.. I was checking out the Delorean listings (Parts and cars) and I
ran accross a new listing of an 81 Delorean in KY.  It's vin
is:scedt26t9bd007102.  The posting was different in that the individual
writes of new Deloreans being manufactured at a new plant in California
starting in 2008- 2010 time frame and costing over 75K.  Anyone else
hear of this?  The guy also has cruise controll as an option on the
car. Thanks,
Roy

Message 22
    From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:55pm(PDT)

Be sure the blades on fuse #5 are clean. Also check the connections on
the alternator and the alternator belt tension. Since it has "jumped"
to proper volts a couple of times - I would suspect some connections.
Have you checked the grounds? Especially the ground connected to the
frame from the battery.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_...> wrote:

> My car (vin 3579) has been running fine (with expert attention from
Rob Grady every now and then) since it came into my possession almost
two years ago, has been a reliable daily driver, and I'm very happy
with it. But...

> Couple days ago I noticed that voltage was dropping when I would
turn on lights, fans,..., revving engine did not bring it back up.
Normally voltage is just above the 13V mark on the voltmeter in the
instrument cluster. It was dropping close to the orange mark midway
between the 8V and 13V lines. Not good, I was thinking. Parked it for
the nite.

Message 23
    From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:55pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Interior light issue

Michael,

Check the diodes about where you right knee is while driving behind the
stereo on the side. They should be in plain view.  They are plastic and I  think
there are three - one is white, one is red, one is blue, maybe a black  one.
Anyway, check to make sure everything is plugged in and clean with  those.  I
had weird light problems until I found that one of the wires was  disconnected
down there.

Andy

In a message dated 5/28/2006 8:27:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com writes:

Here is  the situation - open the passenger door, and the door lights and
the  interior lights come on as they should - close the door, you have
the  delay as the lights turn them selves off . . .all is good.

Get to the  drivers side, and when you open the door, the door lights
come on, but no  interior lights. :(  any idea of where to check to
ensure that the  wires that go from the door switch to the lights has not
been  disconnected? (or any other suggestions??)

Michael

VIN  3472

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 24
    From: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 5:56pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: trans seal leak... still!!

You have the o-ring installed properly on the inner shaft that the
yoke slides on to and/or it is not damaged? You might spray it clean
with some brake cleaner and watch closely where the leak develops.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> Hey Group,
>
> My driver's side axle seal on my manual transmission is leaking.
I  have
> replaced the seal, the o-ring, and got a reconditioned and sleeved
yoke  from
> Grady.  Still leaks!  I think there is a groove caused by a  seal-
pulling tool in
> the transmission casing between the seal and casing.   I am
thinking I might
> be able to fix this by putting some kind of silicone on  the seal
where it
> touches the casing.
>
> Any idea on what type to use?  If this doesn't work, I am out of
ideas.

> Andy
>
> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Message 25
    From: "PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
    Date: Mon May 29, 2006 6:49pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: E-Bay # 4645008633

"New DeLoreans are coming out in 2008 or 2009, depending on tooling at the
new plant in California, which Mr. Bodkin will be running.  The approximate cost
of a new one will be 70 - 75,000.  If you are looking for a perfect original
1981 that needs absolutely no work, this is it!  Good luck, and thank you for
checking out my auction!"   Once again, from item #4645008633.

Maybe Dan Bodkins or Don Steiger can fill us in?   Sounds like one huge
misunderstanding to me.   It does sound interesting though.

-Patrick C.