From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:11 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3266

From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

From: "sweetp01569" paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com

From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "alex morgan" mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com

From: "Andy Verbrugghe" andy_verbrugghe_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "bttfbrian" bttfbrian_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk

From: "corey ooms" coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com

From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Tom Watkins" outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: ebay BTTF car
From: "Jon Heese" dmcnews_at_dml_jonheese.com

16. Re: AC Rubber tubing
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com

17. Re: AC Rubber tubing
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

18. Re: AC Rubber tubing
From: "Jim Reeve" dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com

19. Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Doors.
From: "therealdmcvegas" dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com

20. Fwd: Free trolley
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Clutch master cylinder reservoir cap
From: "ksgrimsr" knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

22. Who's driving out on the 14th or 15th
From: "Michael Paine" mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com

23. Re: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Do
From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com

24. eBay Delorean 4645093937
From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com

25. Re: Eurofest 2006
From: "Daniel Shane" daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:10 am (PDT)
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
Subject: Re: Letting people use our cars

As important as money is, there is a more important requirement. You MUST ask for AND RECEIVE a "Certificate of Insurance" naming you as insured with at least the value of the car under property and 1 millon dollars liability. If they are a legitimite company they will be able to provide this easily. If it is a high school play probably not.
Static shots (not moving) are not as valuable as moving shots. They should provide transportation and if moving the car, a driver. You can ask for (and maybe get) to go along and as a courtesy, food for the day. Alblums, copies of shots, videotapes, etc, are all negotiable.
Just be fully aware that your ordinary car insurance DOES NOT COVER any uses "for hire" which means if your car gets damaged during the shoot (or going to or from) don't expect your insurance to cover it AT ALL!

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 am (PDT)
From: "sweetp01569" paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com
Subject: AC Rubber tubing

I had my R134A recharged last summer, and the AC felt nice and cold at that time  This year, I really don't feel any cold air coming through and the compressor just turns on and off for about a second every 5 seconds or so.  I suspect my charge is gone.  I read that older R-12 rubber tubing (I suspect those that run under my car are original) will actually let the R134A pass through the molecules of rubber, resulting in a slow leak over the winter.  Is this true?  If so, is it worth investing in Special T's spliced tubing (I don't have time or patience to lift the car body to replace with whole sections) and replacing the long runs under the car?  Can I just replace them easily myself, or do I need an AC shop to evacuate any remaining R134A for safety/environmental reasons - or is there not enought to worry about if I open and replace the tubing before I bring to an AC shop to recharge?  Any advice on this subject is appreciated.

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:11 am (PDT)
From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Where did it go? Who's was it?

Corey,

  I know the owner personally... he live 15 minutes from me (near San Diego, California).  I suppose I could email him and ask him.  His car is the only BTTF part 1 replica DeLorean that I know of.. Very well done, I was impressed.  The only difference from the movie I could tell was the black interior and the auto tranny.  The owner was at San Diego British Car day last year with the car.  I took lots of pics :)

  -Chris
  DMC 6453

corey ooms <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
  I know the owner of this car threw the internet. He had said he was going to eBay the car. I'm gonna shoot him a message and see what's up. I'll let you know.

Corey
2423

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:12 am (PDT)
From: "alex morgan" mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Some positive Delorean media!!!

I just got the new Maxim magazine at my barber shop last week.  I was
thumbing through it and found this.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/679308/Resizeofmaximscan.jpg

The Delorean is in good company.  I also like the price tag.  Plus, no
cocaine or BTTF jokes. :)
-Alex

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 am (PDT)
From: "Andy Verbrugghe" andy_verbrugghe_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Eurofest 2006

Hello everybody

I just wanted to thank everybody for a great weekend at Eurofest 2006.
Especially Robert Lamrock and all the people who helped organising
this big event. I've met a lot of interesting people from all over the
world (I can't remember all the names - sorry ...) and it really
surprised me that the former DeLoreanworkers are still that
enthousiast about the factory, the car and the man himself, even after
25 years !

It's been great and you can count me in for the next edition !!

Regards from the Belgium DeLorean Club

Verbrugghe Andy
VIN#04610
www.deloreanservice.be

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 am (PDT)
From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk
Subject: Eurofest - DOI

Hope everyone enjoyed Eurofest (I know I did).

For those that would like to be kept informed of other event and happenings
in Ireland the owners Club has a website at www.deloreans.ie.

John Dore is currently updating it so keep checking in for Eurofest updates.

We also have a DOI forum for anyone who wants to join and the link is on the
website.

Great meeting everyone over the weekend.

Heres looking forward to the next show.

Paul J
Belfast

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 am (PDT)
From: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

Sorry,

Finger slipped  web address should be www.delorean.ie   (no s at the end)

Paul J
Belfast

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 am (PDT)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Driving tests

interesting poll on the internet
the worst states for drivers

here is the bottom of the list

I have a lot of friends in New Jersey
guess I need to watch out on the road LOL

here is the url for the rest of it
_http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/beware-of-dumb-drivers/20060530105
009990001_
(http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/beware-of-dumb-drivers/20060530105009990001)

wonder how many DeLoreans have bit the dust in these states.

42. Pennsylvania 82.1

43. New Mexico 81.5

44. Connecticut 80.9

45. Hawaii 80.

46. Maryland 79.5

47. New York 79.4

48. New Jersey 78.6 (Tie)

48. Massachusetts 78.6 (Tie)

50. Washington, D.C. 76.5

51. Rhode Island 75.1

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:16 am (PDT)
From: "bttfbrian" bttfbrian_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk

I would like to thank all the guys who helped to get my car going
after it stopped on the factory test track. Thanks people, the car
behaved perfectly after and never missed a beat from then on. Brian
O'Neill

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:18 am (PDT)
From: "corey ooms" coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com

I shot him a message asking what happened and he said that eBay pulled the
auction because he had mentioned in the ad that he would be willing to trade
for another DeLorean.  I guess this is against their policy, so they pulled
it without any warning.  He's kinda pissed about it.  I asked if he would
list it again, but have not yet gotten a reply.  He said he may post about
it to the DML soon so that no one on the list that was watching/bidding on
it thinks it is a scam.

Corey
2423

>From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Where did it go?  Who's was it?
>Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:09:44 -0500
>
>There was a BTTF DeLorean on ebay yesterday.  The auction  has 3 days
>left.  Bidding was up to $50,000 with reserve not met.
>
>Today, the BTTF DeLorean was withdrawn from ebay.   The car was from
>Escondito, CA.
>
>Anyone know anything about this car?  It was a very nice repro using
>many of the off the shelf components that are available today.
>
>Bob

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 3:19 am (PDT)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Raffle Car Tickets (mailing)

Unless I mess something up in printing the raffle car ticket (souvenir
tickets) will go out in the mail Friday

If you are going to the show I may choose to give them to  your  there

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 am (PDT)
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: AC Rubber tubing

Paul,

I just helped another DML'er replace his hoses with Hervey's lines.   The
replacement was pretty straightforward. The only snag is you have to make  sure
you can actually get the lines apart (can be difficult if the fittings are
really tight) and it can be tough to run the hoses though the frame by the gas
tank.  We just used a pry bar to pry the plate down a little as we fed the
hose through.

As far as removing the remaining freon, I have heard that R134a poses no
environmental threat and while it may not be exactly legal or responsible, you
can press the low pressure side needle in the fitting with a screwdriver to let
 the rest out.  Might want to wear gloves in case the oil sprays out  too.

Andy

In a message dated 5/31/2006 5:12:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com writes:

Can I  just replace them easily
myself, or do I need an AC shop to evacuate any  remaining R134A for
safety/environmental reasons - or is there not enought  to worry about
if I open and replace the tubing before I bring to an AC  shop to
recharge?  Any advice on this subject is  appreciated.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 am (PDT)
From: "Tom Watkins" outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: ebay BTTF car

The car was pulled from auction because Scott mentioned a possible cash "trade" for another Delorean.   ebay saw this as a violation of rules since they couldn't get a "cut" of the trade.

  I think Scott is going to re-list it.  It's a VERY cool car with original sourced parts that are identical to the film cars.  This is a very accurate conversion except for the black interior.   If I had the $ I'd buy it!

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 5:40 am (PDT)
From: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Some positive Delorean media!!!

Nice read!  While not exactly full of DeLorean content, at least the
hundreds of thousands of young males who read this magazine will see the  DeLorean as
a top-pick aspirational vehicle.  Now if only Cosmo could do  the same
article for females!

Andy

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 am (PDT)
From: "Jon Heese" dmcnews_at_dml_jonheese.com
Subject: Re: ebay BTTF car

Except for the black interior, and the auto transmission and the '83
hood... =)

Regards,
Jon Heese

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:01 am (PDT)
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com

It's still illegal to intentionally vent R134 into the atmosphere. It
should be collected and stored.

Dave S

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 am (PDT)
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

Your problem is probably the origional leak that let the charge go
last year. The hoses don't leak all that much more with -134 than -12.
No matter what the leak it is best to find and fix it. It is probably
good insurance to just replace the hoses anyway just because of their
age. The service valve cores, the oil fill and the accumulator should
also be changed out. I would try to stay with -12 or a drop-in
substitute. -134 runs a higher head pressure and will provide slightly
less cooling capacity. IMHO A/C work is one job best left to a
professional with the right equipment and experience. If you find a
shop you can work with they might let you do most of the mechanical
work, removing and replacing parts while they do the evacuation, leak
testing, and charging. The A/C in a Delorean is not so different that
any good shop should be able to work on it. Talk them into letting you
get the parts, tell them they are Delorean specific, especially the hoses.

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 8:20 am (PDT)
From: "Jim Reeve" dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com

The spliced lines are quite nice for ease of install.  Andy is right
that the hardest part is getting the low pressure line through the
frame by the gas tank (which really wasn't that hard).  It helped
having Andy assist me, in that I could bend down the frame slightly
(not a permenent bend, just a flex) and guide the end over the tank
plate nuts while Andy actually pushed it through.  It can also be
difficult to separate the nuts and the lines.  You need to spend $75
on a 32mm, 27mm, and 22mm wrench.  19mm is also necessary but I
already had one of those.  There is not much room to work the wrenches
but it is possible (hey, they got them on there didn't they?). On the
first car I did a few years ago, I could not separate the high
pressure line from the evaporator.  I got the nuts apart, but the
lines would not disconnect.  With more time they probably could have
come apart, but I didn't have any then.  My car which I'm in progress
with was no problem.  If your doing all this, replace the accumulator
and orifice tube as well (unless you did that with your original
conversion).

Other misc. notes....

Be sure to keep the main high pressure line away from the steering
shaft.  Many owners have had sudden AC failure when this hose was warn
through by the shaft.

Also, John Hervey has not been as responsive as he has been in the
past.  When I made my original order almost everything came as it
should.  I emailed him many general questions about the parts and two
that were missing, no responce.  I called him a few times then
eventually got through to him to get one of the parts that didn't
arrive, but I still dont have the other one yet.

When I arrive in Chicago, every component in my A/C system will be
brand new except for the evaporator, which I removed and throughly
cleaned.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 9:40 am (PDT)
From: "therealdmcvegas" dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com
Subject: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Doors.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On 5/29/06, therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas_at_dml_...> wrote:
> > I have a long list of reasons why I don't like the
> > Corvette (including a door malfuction in a C6 where I got trapped
> > inside the car)
>
> Yet you drive a DeLorean?!!?? ;-)
>
> -Ryan

It sounds funny, I know. But I've never been trapped inside of my
DeLorean, nor anyone elses. And the only time I've ever seen a
DeLorean door get jammed, was either because of the outer door
handle getting pre-tensioned, or a forigen object getting caught in
the door. And to release stuck doors isn't a problem. You just press
down on the interior handle, and then you can unlock the doors.
Simple as pie. And if you've got an early car with no guide blocks,
you just have to push a bit harder. They don't pose a threat in the
least.

Now, let met explain my nightmare with the C6 Corvette.

First, you've got to know how the doors work (this is boring, but
vital to my story). Your regular car and truck door has a Striker
Pin, or Loop mounted to the door frame. You then have the latch
assembly that is mounted inside the door. To open the door, you
simply pull on either the internal, or external door handles. These
are physically connected to the door latch by various cables, and
connecting rods, and the latch will release the Striker Pin. Same
with the locking mechanisim. The lock is actually contained within
that latch on the door, and to lock/unlock the latch, is the same
process. Power door locks are simply solenoids, or actuators that
pull and push on the rods connected to the door latch.

The DeLorean is not unique from any other car on the road. It just
happens to have a 2nd latch in the front section of the door, and
has extra rods to make it function as well.

Now, let's talk about the Death Trap called the C6 Corvette.

The C6 Corvette has a backwards configuration on it's doors. The
striker pins are mounted on the doors, and the latches are hidden
INSIDE THE BODY! So, to open the doors, you don't pull a handle. You
instead press a button, that in turn activates a solenoid, and pulls
the latch for you, to open the doors. This applies to both inside
the car, as well as outside. The way that the C6 locks it's doors to
prevent theft is that IT DISABLES THE OPEN DOOR BUTTONS!

Now that sounds like an innovative idea on the surface, doesn't it?
Hide the door locks inside of the car body, so theives can't jimmy
the locks. Plan B incase your batter dies, is that you can open the
rear hatch glass with your key, and tug on an emergency cable to
physically open the drivers door. It's all the way in the back of
the *luxurious* felt-lined trunk, next to the fuel release.

Yeah, that's nice and all, but what happens if I'm in a severe
accident, where the wiring harness to the doors is severed, and I
get trapped inside a burning car where I die in an inferno? What if
I get trapped in rising flood water, or drive into a flooded ditch
or river, and water FUBARS my entire electrical system, and I drown
because I can't get out? What if I'm in the car, and the fickin'
alarm goes off, and I get trapped inside?!?! Which is exactly what
happened to me!

Now, I'm a big guy, admittedly. But I'm also limber. I've never had
a problem sliding over the center console between seats in my
DeLorean. However, in the Corvette, I was totally trapped. My first
instinct being a DeLorean guy trapped in a car is to raise up, and
kick the glass out. However, the Corvette had me so trapped, I
couldn't get my knee past the steering wheel. Not even the power,
telescopic steering colum worked any longer. Everything was
disabled, including those damn door-open buttons! And the cockpit
inside the Vette was so tight, I couldn't even raise my legs up. So
there was no way I could reach that emergency release that was all
the way in the trunk. After the alarm blared, and I started punching
and slamming the car door, the GM guy finally took notice, and
disabled the alarm, so that I could get out. Now incase you're
wondering, yes, the Corvette locks it's doors with the factory
alarm. I couldn't get out from the inside, and my buddy on the
outside couldn't do it either. This was at one of those GM test
track events, BTW. Not a car dealership.

I've seen Gullwing doors on the DeLorean get wedged shut. They just
take a bit more "oomphf" to open. And when the locks do jamm,
they're also easy to open. But no matter what, they're not as great
a risk to my safety, as the Corvette C6 is. Hell, even the Bricklin
SV-1 had emergency cotterpins above your head that you could pull
out, to get the doors open, incase the hydraulic system failed!

I won't ride in a C6, nor the Cadillac XLR it was badge-engineered
from for an honest fear of my life. I don't trust that crap door
lock design in the least bit if something happened. And knowing GM's
penchant for defective designs, and numerous recalls, I doubt I'd
have to even be in a serious accident for something to go wrong. But
that's just my opinion.

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 10:25 am (PDT)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fwd: Free trolley

Here is some trolly information from Patty at the St Charles Visitors  center
her e-mail is copied so if you have any questions just ask her
They have been real helpful so feel free to use their services

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 am (PDT)
From: "ksgrimsr" knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com
Subject: Clutch master cylinder reservoir cap

Hi guys,

Over the weekend, I replaced all the brake fluids in my car using my
new nifty Branick pressure bleeder setup. It is a really slick
little tool consisting of a tank with a diaphram in the middle of
it. You fill the brake fluid above the diaphram and hook up the
fittings to the reservoir, and you pressurize the lower portion of
the tank with compressed air. The setup then pushes brake fluid into
the the reservoir and all you have to do is open the petcocks on
your calipers to have the new fluid pushed through the system.

For use with my brakes, I just bought a spare brake reservoir cap
and modified it with the proper fitting.

I'd like to flush my clutch hydraulics on my cars next.
Unfortunately, the cluch reservoir cap seems to be a relatively rare
item, and I don't want to destroy a rare item as part of making a
pressure bleeder fitting out of it.

I only need some sort of cap that will screw securely on the clutch
reservoir to adapt. Does anyone know of some cap that might be
suitable to this use that will screw securely onto the clutch
reservoir with a good seal? It does not have to be original (but it
does have to create a good seal).

   Knut

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 10:44 am (PDT)
From: "Michael Paine" mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com
Subject: Who's driving out on the 14th or 15th

Who else is driving to chicago leaving on Wed evening the
14th or Thursday morning the 15th?

regards,

Michael
vin6067

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 10:44 am (PDT)
From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Do

ouch...my sides hurt from laughing so hard....I'm sorry for your bad experience in a C6.....but that story made my day!!!!   A guy I work with at the fire department has a C6.  Nice looking car.  I never took notice of the doors though.  I'll have to check it out.

Great story! thanks for sharing.
  erik

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 1:10 pm (PDT)
From: "Erik Geerdink" dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: eBay Delorean 4645093937

Hello,
  there is a Delorean for sale about 45 minutes from where I live.  From the eBay auction it looks to be a pretty nice one.  If anyone is interested in it, please let me know.  I can go take a look at it for you.

Erik

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 1:10 pm (PDT)
From: "Daniel Shane" daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Eurofest 2006

Guess by the name that yours was the BTTF car.

I'll let you know the names of the people that helped.

It was Keith McCracken who towed you off, Alistair McCann who helped push it
and stoped the others from going into the back of you by getting them off
the track.  Paul O'Malley got to and cleaned the RPM Relay under all the
BTTF stuff, A Job in itself as you have fitted it all very well. Ed Uding
checked the relay. Mark Bourne and Myself checked your fuel pump, Coil and
resister connections.

In the end you had wet connections on your coil, resister and fuel pump and
you really do need to change that RPM relay as Ed and Paul said.

Just glad to help and it's good to know you got home ok.

Dan
DMCL