From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:13 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3267

1. Greenwich Concours This Weekend
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

2. Re: AC Rubber tubing
From: "sweetp01569" paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com

3. Re: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Do
From: "Nelson, Allan" abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com

4. Windshield washer motor removal
From: "Hank" heskin_at_dml_gmail.com

5. DCS Caravans - for those East of Chicago*
From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

6. Re: Who's driving out on the 14th or 15th
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

7. Re: More Free Advertising of DCS 2006 in several Great Lakes states
From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net

8. Delorean Caravan from Michigan & East Coast
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net

9. Overheating question
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 1:10 pm (PDT)
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
Subject: Greenwich Concours This Weekend

A reminder about the show some call the "East Coast Pebble Beach" I am invited to display my car Sunday. More details can be found at www.greenwichconcours.com David Teitelbaum vin 10757

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 1:16 pm (PDT)
From: "sweetp01569" paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com
Subject: Re: AC Rubber tubing

Thanks for the great replies.  I didn't do the conversion.  It was done by the previous owner in March of 2004 (about a year before I bough the car).  The record shows he bought a $34 R134A conversion kit.  This doesn't sound like he replaced any major parts, does it?
How extensive is a "kit"? I think I should probably change the tubes and major components that I am able to, then bring it to the shop for final tweaking and refilling.  Is that reasonable, or are there other items to be aware of when replacing components?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_...> wrote:

> The spliced lines are quite nice for ease of install.  Andy is
right
> that the hardest part is getting the low pressure line through the
> frame by the gas tank (which really wasn't that hard).  It helped
> having Andy assist me, in that I could bend down the frame slightly
> (not a permenent bend, just a flex) and guide the end over the tank
> plate nuts while Andy actually pushed it through.  It can also be
> difficult to separate the nuts and the lines.  You need to spend
$75
> on a 32mm, 27mm, and 22mm wrench.  19mm is also necessary but I
> already had one of those.  There is not much room to work the
wrenches
> but it is possible (hey, they got them on there didn't they?). On
the
> first car I did a few years ago, I could not separate the high
> pressure line from the evaporator.  I got the nuts apart, but the
> lines would not disconnect.  With more time they probably could
have
> come apart, but I didn't have any then.  My car which I'm in
progress
> with was no problem.  If your doing all this, replace the
accumulator
> and orifice tube as well (unless you did that with your original
> conversion).
>
> Other misc. notes....
>
> Be sure to keep the main high pressure line away from the steering
> shaft.  Many owners have had sudden AC failure when this hose was
warn
> through by the shaft.
>
> Also, John Hervey has not been as responsive as he has been in the
> past.  When I made my original order almost everything came as it
> should.  I emailed him many general questions about the parts and
two
> that were missing, no responce.  I called him a few times then
> eventually got through to him to get one of the parts that didn't
> arrive, but I still dont have the other one yet.
>
> When I arrive in Chicago, every component in my A/C system will be
> brand new except for the evaporator, which I removed and throughly
> cleaned.
>
> Jim Reeve
> MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
> DMC6960
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_> wrote:
> >
> > I had my R134A recharged last summer, and the AC felt nice and
cold at
> > that time  This year, I really don't feel any cold air coming
through
> > and the compressor just turns on and off for about a second
every 5
> > seconds or so.  I suspect my charge is gone.  I read that older
R-12
> > rubber tubing (I suspect those that run under my car are
original)
> > will actually let the R134A pass through the molecules of
rubber,
> > resulting in a slow leak over the winter.  Is this true?  If so,
is it
> > worth investing in Special T's spliced tubing (I don't have time
or
> > patience to lift the car body to replace with whole sections)
and

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 1:18 pm (PDT)
From: "Nelson, Allan" abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com
Subject: Re: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors vs. Dangerous, Deadly Corvette Do

*** Moderator's note *** A good story with a point & counterpoint. Now back to our regularly scheduled DeLorean programming...

The C6 does have manual releases for the doors in case of electrical failure.  They are located on the floor between the seat and door (for use if you're in the vehicle) and just inside the rear hatch/trunk (which can be opened manually with the key) if you're outside the car.  FYI...

Al

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:10 pm (PDT)
From: "Hank" heskin_at_dml_gmail.com
Subject: Windshield washer motor removal

My washer motor seems to have quit.  I'd like to get it replaced
before the trip to PR, but today, I go out to r/r the motor, and the
screws holding the plastic housing encasing the motor and reservoir
are rusted AND stripped.  I can't remove them.  What are the next
steps to get them off - there are ALOT of them, and not all accessible
with a vice-grip or other last-resort tools (or even a drill).

Also, is it safe to leave the car jacked up (I have a jack stand
supporting the left front of the car, on the frame, directly behind
the wheel and next to the (but not on) the towing loop welded to the
frame.  Or should I lower the car onto the tires and re-jack when
needed?

thanks,
-Hank #1619

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:11 pm (PDT)
From: "Shannon Yocom" ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: DCS Caravans - for those East of Chicago*

FYI,
As info comes in I've begun to post DCS Caravan meeting places/routes on the Ohio
site:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm

Is there anyone in the DMA organizing groups that can give me info so I can post
for others who may want to meet up with you all along the way?

ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com

Shannon Y

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:11 pm (PDT)
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
Subject: Re: Who's driving out on the 14th or 15th

From where? I'll be leaving Detroit,Michigan on the 14th if all goes
well if not the 15th early.
Lawrence 00538

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:12 pm (PDT)
From: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net
Subject: Re: More Free Advertising of DCS 2006 in several Great Lakes states

The FREE ads for DCS 2006 should be hitting the news stands
on Thursday, June 1 in all the states I previously listed,
with Kentucky now added to the list as well.  The ads list
DCS car show date (June 17) and Lake Shore Cruise (June 18).

For those of you not in the Great Lakes Region or if you do
not have the free Auto-RV magazine in your area, feel free
to check out the listing(s) on the website, although only
the ad with DCS car show date is currently listed, with the
link to the DeLorean Midwest Connection website, which was
intended for the Chicago Lake Shore Drive Cruise details.

Oh well, its free advertising and website viewers should be
able to find what they need to know with other DCS links.

The Auto-RV magazine website is: www.autorv.com

Check the EVENTS link on the left side, then scroll down to
the June 17 list of car shows and select St. Charles, IL.

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm (PDT)
From: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net
Subject: Delorean Caravan from Michigan & East Coast

How many Deloreans can we get together to caravan to Chicago?
Give me an email if we can do this on 15th Early.
Lawrence

Date: Wed May 31, 2006 7:15 pm (PDT)
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
Subject: Overheating question

I recently had my otterstat shoot out and lost all my coolant and now
have one of two problems.

Either I need to do a better job bleeding the radiator or I may have
warped a head.  The car runs nicely for at least 30 minutes, then it
starts to heat up, finally spewing coolant out of the overflow which I
then replace and try to bleed again.

Each time it seems like all is well, then I go on a longer drive on a
hot day and it blows again.  How can I tell the difference between
trapped air and exhaust gas getting into the cooling system?

No loss of power, no obvious water contamination in the oil at the
dipstick, no oil in the coolant that I can tell.

I've had two friends with other cars blow head gaskets this month - so
I'm nervous - suggestions?

Tom