From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 12:33 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3270

1. My Goodyear NCT Tires will be available for sale at DCS
From: "Matt Carpenter" mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com

2. Re: BTTF screening Plan B (during DCS) is in the works
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com

3. How many LBS
From: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com

4. Re: Overheating question
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

5. Re: Overheating question - part 2
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com

6. Large Holes In Fiberglass
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

7. New Air Cleaner
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu

8. Re: Deloreans mentioned twice on www.rocketboom.com
From: "Emory Lehman" elehman3_at_dml_earthlink.net

9. Re: Stainless panel repair
From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com

10. upside down escape- was: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors...
From: "deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: How many LBS
From: "Tom Niemczewski" tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl

12. Re: New Air Cleaner
From: "Michael Babb" mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com

13. Steering alignment
From: "willinot" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

14. Re: Large Holes In Fiberglass
From: "twinenginedmc12" twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com

15. Re: Large Holes In Fiberglass
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Stainless panel repair
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com

17. Re: Steering alignment
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

18. Re: Steering alignment
From: "willinot" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

19. Re: Stainless panel repair
From: "Travis Graham" tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com

20. Re: How many LBS
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

21. What is this part?
From: "Ed B." mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net

22. Re: New Air Cleaner
From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com

23. Re: DCS- display space
From: "cupsdmc" cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com

24. Re: DCS- display space
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: What is this part?
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

26. Re: DCS- display space
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:27 am (PDT)
From: "Matt Carpenter" mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: My Goodyear NCT Tires will be available for sale at DCS

Anyone interested in these tires they're from my DMC-12 when I bought it with 7,400 orig. miles.  They're excellent for show (no noticable cracks, int./ext damage, etc.) but as for daily drivers, I wouldn't recommend them because of age.

E-mail me in advance of the show if you'd like to make an offer    -
mattdcarpenter (at) msn.com

I'll have them at DCS ready to go.

Regards,

Matt Carpenter
5586
AZ-D.ORG

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:27 am (PDT)
From: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com
Subject: Re: BTTF screening Plan B (during DCS) is in the works

This would actually be a conflict with the driving tour that same morning. I'd suggest maybe a midnight showing would be better idea . . .

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:27 am (PDT)
From: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com
Subject: How many LBS

How many LBS of R-12 does the Delorean take. I am getting it charged again after a new hose installed.

Nope i am not converting it either to R-134A.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:28 am (PDT)
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
Subject: Re: Overheating question

Tom, Do you have the right pressure cap on the coolant bottle. If not I would replace it with a new one, not a NOS one. 15 lb cap.
If problem still exist, then there may be some other problems.
You can call me on the toll free # which is 1-888-278-1629.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:28 am (PDT)
From: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com
Subject: Re: Overheating question - part 2

Tom, If you have my Fan's then you don't really need any Fan Fix. The Fan
Fix whether mine or some one else's is needed to carry and distribute the
stock or old fan load. So if you don't have the old fans you can run the
stock system.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:28 am (PDT)
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
Subject: Large Holes In Fiberglass

I have an early car and it looks like I also have the large circular holes in the fiberglass body right behind the rear speakers.  I have both of the rear quarter panels off, so now is a great time to fix this problem.  Any tips on how to go about filling these holes?  They're about 3 inches in diameter.

Also, anyone have any idea what these holes were for, or was there high demand for fiberglass coasters in the 80's?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:29 am (PDT)
From: "Todd Nelson" tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
Subject: New Air Cleaner

Anyone ever replace the stock plastic air cleaner with something smaller?  I just finished painting and detailing the engine, so it looks great, but I hate to cover half of it with that ugly black box.  Maybe a small circular type like on older carbureted cars.

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:29 am (PDT)
From: "Emory Lehman" elehman3_at_dml_earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Deloreans mentioned twice on www.rocketboom.com

That computer she is beating on is an old TI-99/4A.

Emory Lehman

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:29 am (PDT)
From: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Stainless panel repair

Nathan

A friend of mine 6 years ago got a good sized ding in his DeLorean door (VIN 3724 black int. auto).  He took his DeLorean to DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove.  The stainless repair was EXCELLENT, you couldn't even tell there was a ding there in the first place.  Maybe you could take your DeLorean to  DeLorean Motor Center to get an estimate on SS repair costs. Then you could decide whether or not to repair or replace your panels.  I know that DMC garden Grove sells good used stainless panels at 30% off price of new so you could go that route also.  Let me know how things turn out.

Chris
DMC 6453 (in San Diego)

Nathan Sobieralski <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote: Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to relay your
experience in having stainless panels repaired including cost and
severity of damage vs. final outcome after repairs. I'm trying to
gauge weather I should have some of mine repaired (small but
noticeable imperfections) or replaced with good/used panels. BTW the
ones in question are the right front fender and left rear quarter; in
case someone has one of these lying around they would be willing to
part with (near Los Angeles)....

Thanks!

Nathan

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:29 am (PDT)
From: "deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: upside down escape- was: Safe, Practical Gullwing Doors...

In a message dated 6/1/2006 8:52:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com writes:

I'd  imagine flipping a DeLorean upside dodwn, while
difficult to do, would not  make getting out very pleasant.>>

This was discussed a few years ago on the DML. As I recall, the door would
open far enough, (if unobstructed,)  for you to crawl out. Plus your weight  on
the door would tend to lever the car up a bit, opening the door wider. But
few, if anyone, has ever had to find out. DMC flips are essentially
non-existent.

Wayne
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 4:17 am (PDT)
From: "Tom Niemczewski" tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
Subject: Re: How many LBS

2.2 LBS of R-12

Interesting note: I have found that when converting to R-134a the best
results are achieved with..... 2.2LBS of R-134a. It might be due to the size
of the system and the original design calling for 2.5LBS of R-12..

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 4:18 am (PDT)
From: "Michael Babb" mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com
Subject: Re: New Air Cleaner

if you are looking for a replacement that looks cool:
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Airintake-casey-box.jpg
(http://tinyurl.com/s7o7c) is my favorite (http://tinyurl.com/pom43 to
actually purchase).

Michael
VIN 3472

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 5:34 am (PDT)
From: "willinot" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk
Subject: Steering alignment

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that the steering wheel alignment of my car seems "off"  I
have lined it up a couple of times by ensuring the wheels are running
straight and then stopping and taking the steering wheel off to get it
level.

Problem is that it seems to variate slightly left and right.  The other day
it was fine and then after turning the steering wheel when on an incline and
parked (on the original test track getting a photo-so a good cause - lol)
the steering wheel alignment seems of again.  There is no play in the
steering and the car is not pulling.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul J
Belfast

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 5:35 am (PDT)
From: "twinenginedmc12" twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com
Subject: Re: Large Holes In Fiberglass

I've heard it said that the vents in the stainless behind the door edge
were intended to be functional.  The holes are for that.  It's a
feature!

Rick.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 6:31 am (PDT)
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

I had these too and they contributed to a LARGE water leak in the
rain and when washing the car.  It took me well over a year to find
the cause of the leaks.  Go buy a fiberglass repair kit and just
fiberglass right over the top of the holes, and they spraypaint the
area black.

You'll be amazed how quieter the interior will be when driving
without those open holes.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 7:01 am (PDT)
From: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com

I have heard that their stainless guy is really good. I wish that I
only had dings :( I think a PO must have hit trash cans or something
because there is a weird crease in the stainless above the wheel
well from an incompetent repair job. Danny said that if they had not
tried to repair it it would probably have been possible to get the
dent out perfect but alas...

The other on is on the top of the Q panel above the glass, another
hacked repair job. Someone actually drilled a hole in the stainless
on the side of the Qpanel that is covered by the louver to gain
access to that "tunnel" section. I had not noticed that one yet the
last time I was down in Garden Grove. I didn't know they gave %30
used panels, that's pretty cool. I wonder if they would give a
further discount for trading my slightly damaged ones....

Nathan

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 7:01 am (PDT)
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
Subject: Re: Steering alignment

Check the air pressure in your tires. The road surface has a lot to do
with how the steering "feels". If you still have "wander" go to an
alignment shop with the specs and have them check it out. It can be
bad tires, worn parts, bent parts, or just a minor toe adjustment. You
should not be pulling the steering wheel off to center the wheel. It
is more properly done with the tie rod ends so you actually ARE
centered and have the same turning radius left to right.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have noticed that the steering wheel alignment of my car seems
"off"  I
> have lined it up a couple of times by ensuring the wheels are running
> straight and then stopping and taking the steering wheel off to get it
> level.
>
> Problem is that it seems to variate slightly left and right.  The
other day
> it was fine and then after turning the steering wheel when on an
incline and
> parked (on the original test track getting a photo-so a good cause -
lol)
> the steering wheel alignment seems of again.  There is no play in the
> steering and the car is not pulling.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul J
> Belfast
>
> --
01/06/2006

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:20 am (PDT)
From: "willinot" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk

The problem is not the tyre alignment.  I had it all set up correctly so
that to drive straight I had the steering wheel level and if I let go of the
wheel there was no pull left or right.

My problem is that to drive straight now I have to have the steering wheel
slightly off level (to the right) and when I let go of the wheel there is
still no pulling left or right.

Its as if someone has removed the steering wheel and moved it round a couple
of spleens.

My only reason for removing it in the first place was cos the previous owner
had taken it off and put it back on so far off that you could not read the
speedo.

Belfast

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:23 am (PDT)
From: "Travis Graham" tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com

Nathan,

I had some panel work done six years ago by DMCH and the results were
great.  I was able to email photos of the damage and get an estimate
for the repair from those, which was both reasonable and accurate.  I
can't remember how much it was, but I know that I returned some wheel
cores at the same time and made money on the deal ;)

Here are a couple of before and after photos:
http://tinyurl.com/mxrhc

Consider yourself lucky that you're so close to a couple of DeLorean
shops!  My options are "far" and "further."  Run the damage by one of
the experts and they'll tell you right away whether you'd be better
off repairing or replacing.

Travis Graham

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:24 am (PDT)
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com

Between 2 and 2.2 pounds.  If your shop is going to charge you and arm
and a leg for the gas you might save a little b y getting your IMACA
certification online ($15 and about 45 minutes of your time)  and buy
the gas yourself from Ebay or other.   Make sure it holds a good vacuum
for a couple of hours at least - not only is R12 expensive but its evil
stuff when it does leak out.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:25 am (PDT)
From: "Ed B." mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net
Subject: What is this part?

This part - a u-shaped washer/spacer-  "fell off" my car from somewhere,
while we removing the stock exhaust; we figure the vibrations involved
during the removal caused it to come off somewhere.  Anybody know what
this is and where it should go?

pic here:
http://home.ca.inter.net/~mr.pants/pix/car%20suff/DMC%20Mystery%20Part.jpg

Thanks,
- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:25 am (PDT)
From: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com

Daniel Fox put a dolphin-shaped Volvo air intake on his engine and
stuffed a K&N filter in the pontoon when he converted to EFI.

The part was made for our engine so it bolted into existing holes. It
exposes a lot more of the top of the engine to the world.  Everyone is
different, of course, but I like the look.

I'll send you a photo off-list as soon as I find out where I put it...

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 9:26 am (PDT)
From: "cupsdmc" cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: DCS- display space

I did not know that there was a 10,000 SF tent outside.  That is why
I asked!!  The DCS website says an 8k sq of tent if it rains.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_... wrote:

> Why would you set up a  tent under a tent. We have 10,000 SQ ft of
tent to park under outside for those that register  for the car
show.If you did not pay the $15 registration fee you will be out
from under the tent.

> Just to Clarify the show is inside and outside but outside is
under two 40  x 120 foot plus tents. Dunking booth is outside as is
the engine rebuild and regraining

> Ken
> ---------
> In a message dated 6/1/2006 3:34:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> cupsdmc_at_dml_... writes:
> I'm  planning on attending the DCS in a few weeks. Does anyone
know if
> there is  enough room to set up at 10'x10' easy up tent next to my
Car

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 10:10 am (PDT)
From: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/2/2006 12:27:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I did  not know that there was a 10,000 SF tent outside.  That is why
I  asked!!  The DCS website says an 8k sq of tent if it  rains.

LOL
so I was off by 2K sq ft
and it always rains on that weekend (hopefully not)

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 10:32 am (PDT)
From: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com
Subject: Re: What is this part?

It looks like a shim washer used to fit the rear fascia properly and
make it align to the rear quarter panel.  You likely found it on the
right or left rear of the car, start by looking on that side and you
will likely find the fascia is not as well aligned as it once was, and
is indented a bit compared to the quarter panel.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 10:32 am (PDT)
From: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_... wrote:

> LOL
> so I was off by 2K sq ft
> and it always rains on that weekend (hopefully not)
>
> Ken

Got an extended forcast for us yet?