From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 5:15 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3272

1. Re: Mysterious Fuse
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Overheating question
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net

3. Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.
From: "Chris Almy" chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net

Message: 1
Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 7:45 pm (PDT)
From: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Mysterious Fuse

That is a fuse holder for the brakelights that is used on many of the early cars.  Mine actually melted on me and smoked, so I spliced in a blade fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse and haven't had any problems since.

My guess is since you have working brakelights and that fuse holder is just dangling, it must have been bypassed somewhere else.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 7:46 pm (PDT)
From: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net
Subject: Re: Overheating question

I DO crank it up to the full 15 psi. The way I handle the hose is to
just loosen it at the radiator, not take it off. Sometimes you have to
wiggle or twist it a little to "break it loose" so the air can come
out. By going up to 15 psi you compress the air so there is not as
much to get out and it comes out faster. You will know when all the
air is out and the coolant starts flowing. You will hear the hiss stop
and then see the coolant. Just use a shop rag or a paper towel to
catch the coolant. You do not have to get every ounce of air out. The
radiator does self-bleed a little. That is why there is the venturi
effect in the pipe going from the radiator to the coolant bottle. The
thermostat housing is a different story. Air will accumulate there. It
can accumulate to such a point as to prevent the water pump from
circulating the coolant. That is why it is so important to have a
"tight" cooling system. A leaky system will draw air in as it cools.
This will eventualy cause the system to be "air bound". The
self-bleeder kits only deal with the symptom, not the actual cause. If
you find that installing a self-bleeder "fixes" an overheat problem
you should really fix the leaks which in many cases will be the seals
and gaskets under the intake manifold or the 25 year old radiator.

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 7:47 pm (PDT)
From: "Chris Almy" chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.

I have an unusual store regarding being locked in. Just after I purchased
my D, I was having issues with the doors not locking and unlocking
properly. So I decided to disconnect the lock module. The next time I tried
to get out, my door wouldn't open! I ended up having to crawl out of the
passenger side. Turned out the locks were not aligned and it was the
solenoid that gave it "the extra push" to unlock it. By disconnecting the
module, it would only unlock using the key! Fixing the alignment took care
of the issue.

Another another D I've worked on, I noticed that the unlock part of both
solenoids were fried. While it is common to have the stock lock module
freeze with the doors locked, it's also just as common to have them freeze
being unlocked! Of course most people don't typically notice their doors
being stuck unlocked while driving down the road or getting out.

I think it's a safe bet that anybody with the stock module and solenoids
either have a nonfunctional locking system or are on borrowed time. I would
highly recommend doing one of the following:

Disconnect the large white connector on the stock module and forgo central
locking/unlocking.
Rebuild the stock module using the guide in the tech section.
Replace the lock module with the new digital controller.
Upgrade the solenoids to actuators.

Or best of all, both of the last two!