From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:15 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3284

1a. Re: DeLorean parts for sale at DCS 2006
From: rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com

1b. Re: DeLorean parts for sale at DCS 2006
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: DCS Fun Facts
From: Jere Arnold

3. Re: Fuel issues - Replaced nearly everything
From: rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com

4a. Guru Needed.
From: funkstuf

4b. Re: Guru Needed.
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5a. air conditioning.
From: funkstuf

5b. Re: air conditioning.
From: DMCVIN6683

5c. Re: air conditioning.
From: Chris Murley

6a. Turbo Affair.
From: funkstuf

6b. Re: Turbo Affair.
From: Chris Murley

7. Delorean Product Oversight
From: Tom Watkins

8. squeeking noise
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Another new Delorean product available
From: oholler

Messages

1a. Re: DeLorean parts for sale at DCS 2006
Posted by: "rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com" rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com pjgrady2000
Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:53 am (PDT)

P.J.Grady Inc. will also be bringing parts to the show and invite any special requests DML’ers may have. We are transporting two cars via enclosed trailer and therefore have a larger than usual capacity for any bulky items (sheet metal etc.) you may need. It would be a good opportunity to save freight costs particularly if you want to exchange damaged panels for refurbished ones. Just ask Ken where the “Body Damage Repair Seminar” is being held :). Ordering and paying for parts before the show will save both parties time as any “show veterans” can easily understand. Things can, and do, get hectic at Kens “DeLorean Car Show” extravaganzas. See you there!

Thank you,

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

_____

    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:03 pm (PDT)

In a message dated 6/11/2006 1:53:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com writes:

Things  can, and
do, get hectic at Kens “DeLorean Car Show� extravaganzas. See you  there!

If you only knew what really goes on. Tonight is one of those hectic  nights

Messages in this topic (4)

2. Re: DCS Fun Facts
    Posted by: "Jere Arnold" jere-arnold_at_dml_verizon.net arnold_jere
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:19 pm (PDT)

 Is anyone planning to attend the Cubs - Astro game Thursday the 15th at
1:20 Wrigley Field?

Jere Arnold vin1480

jere-arnold_at_dml_verizon.net
We Made Changes

Your Yahoo! Groups email is all new.

Learn
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJsMGI2Z2ltBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3
JwSWQDMTE1NDMyMARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTUEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNpbmZvBHN0aW
1lAzExNDk3MjE4NzY-;_ylg=1/SIG=11gd5l5o4/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/loca
l/newemail.html> More

Share
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtbThscDdlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3
JwSWQDMTE1NDMyMARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTUEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNmZGJjawRzdG
ltZQMxMTQ5NzIxODc2;_ylg=1/SIG=11im36rmb/**http%3a//surveylink.yahoo.com/
wix/p1412899.aspx> Feedback

Recent Activity

*

	 6
	New
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJmMDFkZ2JzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
ExNTQzMjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjE1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExND
k3MjE4NzY-;_ylg=1/SIG=11ilioi3j/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnew
s/members> Members
*

	 15
	New
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJmdHRoMDQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
ExNTQzMjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjE1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZwaG90BHN0aW1lAzExND
k3MjE4NzY-;_ylg=1/SIG=11gplliuu/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnew
s/spnew> Photos
*

	 6
	New
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJncGt2YXBqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
ExNTQzMjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjE1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMT
Q5NzIxODc2;_ylg=1/SIG=11gf329cb/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnew
s/files> Files

Visit
<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJlMm50OWMwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
ExNTQzMjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjE1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTE0OT
cyMTg3Ng--;_ylg=1/SIG=11am96m02/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnew
s> Your Group
.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=1154320&grpspId=1600126215&m
sgId=63972&stime=1149721876>

Messages in this topic (3)

    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:20 pm (PDT)

Sean,

Definitely….you need to have the emissions set up using a gas analyzer
and/or an analog dwell meter. The procedure is in the Workshop Manual
(Section D:04:01). Since it’s running you can try adjusting the 3mm Allen
screw by “ear” to stabilize the idle until you can get it properly set up.

Thanks again,

Rob Grady

   _____

    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:11 pm (PDT)

I think I need a real guru for this one.. I am not one.
I have been working on trying to get my car to idle at 775 rpms for
a long time (when I have spare time which is rare).  It idles at
about 1000-1100 rpm.
This is what I have done.
1.) checked for vacumn leaks.
2.) paid someone else to check for vacumn leaks.
3.) changed the thermo-sensor for the cold idle circuit.
4.) checked that idle micro-switch is not stuck and is adjusted
properly and workds.
5.) swapped out ECU with my other delorean which idles properly.
6.) swapped out idle speed regulator(the can thing) with my other
delorean.
7.) Unhooked ECU on low idle micro-switch side (for cold engine
control). (this made no difference)
8.) Unhooked ECU on idle control side. (this made it idle even
higher, (about 1500).
9.) Unhooked idle regulator, (the can)
OK, none of this helped me as far as I can tell but then I decided
to look at the Diode.
It all looks like the original circuit but the diode appears to be
facing the wrong direction.. (though it coincides with the
connectors which won't allow it to fit the opposite direction)
The diode is facing to allow current to go towards the ECU but all
the circuits say it should allow current to go to the micro-switch.

I'm not to smart but I am an electrical engineer and I can read the
schematics though I've not worked a lot on these Deloreans to know
how they really should operate.. It looks to me like my Diode is
hooked up backwards.. But... it looks like factory wiring.. Ok, my
troubleshooting mind is thinking while I write this letter.  I'm
going to look at the Diode on my other Delorean (the turbo)  I'm
back... The other (941) Delorean has a diode pointed the other
direction (the correct direction)  They both appear to be factory
wired and exactly in the same place.  I'm now thinking that #4984
was wired wrong at the factory.  Has anybody encountered such a
problem?  Perhaps we should include this solution with all the
people who complain that their Delorean idles a little high but they
can't find anything wrong. (like.. make sure the diode is pointed
the right direction)   Not sure really but I am sure that it's wired
backwards.  Unfortunately I believe most of our Delorean community
are not Electrical Engineers or Electronics technicians and they are
not apt to understand the wiring diagrams other than perhaps to
locate the parts.  Anyway.. Now I have wire it the other way.

Messages in this topic (2)

4b. Re: Guru Needed.
    Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:58 pm (PDT)

Hi Dale,

Interesting information about your diode.  Did you use a multimeter to
verify that it definitely is wired in backwards?

Another thing to check is to be sure the ignition advance solenoid canister
thing is hooked up properly and is working as it should.  With the key on,
engine off, you should be able to hear it clicking when you move the throttle
away from the microswitch.

Let us know what you find.  If you come to DCS, I can help you check  things
out.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (2)

5a. air conditioning.
    Posted by: "funkstuf" funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com funkstuf
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:12 pm (PDT)

Ok, this is it.
I'm spending a weekend with my Deloreans having fun and even driving
them.  I've had my air conditioner swapped to R-134..
I even have a charging kit.  It seems to be working ok in that it
cools and the guages say it's fully charged.  Here's my problem.  I
don't like this damn thing.. I'm too used to newer air conditioners
with fans that blow hard, cold, and let me cool down fast.
I think we need a whole new fan/air conditioner unit.
Anybody know of one or a method to get this thing to cool down fast in
a hot climate.
Thanks
Dale Funk

Messages in this topic (3)

5b. Re: air conditioning.
    Posted by: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com snextime
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:57 pm (PDT)

I modified my side vents because of this problem. If you ever remove
your lower door panels you will see how much air goes into the door and
not in the vents.

What i did was use spray foam to seal all around the door vents, you
know the foam in a can.

Now all the air blows out my door vents hard, this will make the A/C
seem colder because it is now blowing harder on you.

Mark V

On Jun 11, 2006, at 7:48 PM, funkstuf wrote:

> Ok, this is it.
> I'm spending a weekend with my Deloreans having fun and even driving
> them.  I've had my air conditioner swapped to R-134..
> I even have a charging kit.  It seems to be working ok in that it
> cools and the guages say it's fully charged.  Here's my problem.  I
> don't like this damn thing.. I'm too used to newer air conditioners
> with fans that blow hard, cold, and let me cool down fast.
> I think we need a whole new fan/air conditioner unit.
> Anybody know of one or a method to get this thing to cool down fast in
> a hot climate.
> Thanks
> Dale Funk

Messages in this topic (3)

5c. Re: air conditioning.
    Posted by: "Chris Murley" qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com qumefox76
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:58 pm (PDT)

funkstuf wrote:
> Ok, this is it.
> I'm spending a weekend with my Deloreans having fun and even driving
> them.  I've had my air conditioner swapped to R-134..
> I even have a charging kit.  It seems to be working ok in that it
> cools and the guages say it's fully charged.  Here's my problem.  I
> don't like this damn thing.. I'm too used to newer air conditioners
> with fans that blow hard, cold, and let me cool down fast.
> I think we need a whole new fan/air conditioner unit.
> Anybody know of one or a method to get this thing to cool down fast in
> a hot climate.
> Thanks
> Dale Funk

Unless you want to redesign the entire AC system, which would likely be
an expensive and very difficult proposition, about all you can do,
providing your fan and vent doors, etc, are actually working correctly,
is switch back to R12. R12 will have a good 10degree colder vent temp
compared to r134 in the same system. Well, in a system designed for R12
to begin with anyway.

VIN# 3209

Messages in this topic (3)

6a. Turbo Affair.
    Posted by: "funkstuf" funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com funkstuf
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:12 pm (PDT)

I need a turbo expert now.  I'm having an affair with a Delorean and
my latest fling is a Turbo.
941 is a Turbo.  I just got her back from having some fascias painting
etc.  She is my project Delorean and I am hoping to have her on the
road this summer..
Are there any turbo experts that I could possibly correspond with
privately?  Or if you have a phone I will be happy to pay for the call
because I need to talk about this crazy thing a little.  I can't tell
if my Turbo is working properly and need to understand some things.
It's not an Island.. It is a WATER COOLED Turbo that the original
owner put on.  I spoke with him but he can't remember much about it.
Please email me with contact info.
Thanks
Dale Funk

Messages in this topic (2)

6b. Re: Turbo Affair.
    Posted by: "Chris Murley" qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com qumefox76
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm (PDT)

funkstuf wrote:
> I need a turbo expert now.  I'm having an affair with a Delorean and
> my latest fling is a Turbo.
> 941 is a Turbo.  I just got her back from having some fascias painting
> etc.  She is my project Delorean and I am hoping to have her on the
> road this summer..
> Are there any turbo experts that I could possibly correspond with
> privately?  Or if you have a phone I will be happy to pay for the call
> because I need to talk about this crazy thing a little.  I can't tell
> if my Turbo is working properly and need to understand some things.
> It's not an Island.. It is a WATER COOLED Turbo that the original
> owner put on.  I spoke with him but he can't remember much about it.
> Please email me with contact info.
> Thanks
> Dale Funk

I'm no expert, but I know enough about it to actually be attempting to
turbo my own delorean, and be serious enough about it to have actually
bought turbos already. :P
I'd suggest, and actually this is for EVERYBODY who has any interest in
turbocharging anything, unless you really do know absolutely everything
there is to know on the subject, that you pick up a copy of a book
called 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell. It is by far one of the best books
on turbochargers and turbocharging i've ever read. And if you poke
around many forums involving turbos, it's hard to not see this book come
up regularly as recommend reading material.

The easiest way to tell if your turbo is working properly is to look at
your boost gage and see if it's making boost. If you don't have one then
shame on you. It's pretty much a requirement to know what the turbo is
doing and if your wastegate is working properly. I'm not sure i'd drive
any turbo'd vehicle that didn't have some form of boost gage. Even the
uncalibrated ones a lot of stock turbocharged vehicles have is much
better than nothing, as you can tell what's normal or not with them.
Another thing to remember, is if it's not intercooled, about 7psi boost
is the absolute max you can run. You might squeeze another psi or two
out of it by intercooling, but i'm not sure how much the stock piston
rings can handle without suffering blowby, and pressurizing the
crankcase with boost isn't something you really want to happen. I think
this information is somewhere in the DML archive, you'll just have to
search for it. I do remember how much boost a stock b28f can take being
discussed before.

Another thing to keep in mind is turbos don't make boost all the time,
which I kinda think is why your not sure if your turbo is working. Below
the boost threshold, the turbo isn't doing anything.. There simply isn't
enough exhaust gasses passing through the turbine to spin the compressor
fast enough to do any good below that point. This is actually a good
thing. On a street vehicle you really don't want any boost at the normal
cruising rpm's. The reason being when your under boost, you have no
manifold vacuum, which means none of your vacuum accessories will work..
like the power brakes, AC vent controls, etc. If your boost threshold is
set say, so you hit maximum boost at 50% redline, then you can generally
get away with only having to add a small vacuum reservoir to the system,
with a one way valve so it won't get pressurized with boost, to maintain
the system vacuum when you've got your foot in it. The lower your boost
threshold is, the sooner you'll be making power, but then you have to
find some other way to power the vacuum accessories, which makes things
more complicated.

VIN# 3209

Messages in this topic (2)

7. Delorean Product Oversight
    Posted by: "Tom Watkins" outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com outatime81
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:16 pm (PDT)

Thanks to all who responded both publicy and in private.  Let me say again that this idea was not directed at any major vendors....I have no doubt they know this. I'm also sure most of you know as this as well but some of the reply posts indicated comments about our major source suppliers and full service people.

  Since all the responses to this were 100% against, I'd say that the group has spoken.

  I would say however, we all need to be wary of new stuff that pops up for sale and not be so quick to buy it unless it has been proven to work 100%.......As I've said before.....If there is something new out there and DMCH, Grady, DMC Cente or Dave B don't like to install in the cars they service I sure would be cautious......

  If you do install something and it doesn't work, by all means post it here loud and clear for all to read.....we need to protect each other.

  Thanks for your thoughts my friends......

Messages in this topic (1)

8. squeeking noise
    Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:57 pm (PDT)

Hey guys,

Just got my car back on the road and doing some final shake-down runs  before
DCS.  After a good 45 min drive, as I was pulling into my garage I  could
hear some weird noises coming from what I think was the rear end.  It  was like
two materials rubbing on each other with a slight squeek sound to  it.  It only
did it while the car was moving, it is not coming from the  engine so it is
clearly brakes or suspension.  It was similar to the sound  you hear when the
fuel pump is starting to suck air (had half tank  though).  I know it's not my
TABS and I know it's not my T/A dust shields  scraping the axles... any other
ideas?  Wheel bearings?

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (1)

9. Re: Another new Delorean product available
    Posted by: "oholler" thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net oholler
    Date: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:44 pm (PDT)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Hank <heskin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> "WingDoors"
>
> See link:  http://makeashorterlink.com/?W5F414E3D
>
> Who wants to be the first to installi it???  ;)
>
> -Hank

D's have wings.  Everything else is just a scissor door.
It might be applicable on Rich's Convertable D though. . .
Oliver
10694

Messages in this topic (2)