From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:57 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3286

1. Re: DCS Caravan changes
From: d_rex_2002

2. Re: Pre-DCS 2006 screening of BTTF is a "No Go"
From: d_rex_2002

3. Re: Which wire for power antenna?
From: Ryan Wright

4a. Re: squeeking noise
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4b. Re: squeeking noise
From: Harold McElraft

4c. Re: squeeking noise
From: Lawrence Lormand

5a. Re: air conditioning.
From: Marv Hein

5b. Re: air conditioning.
From: DMCVIN6683

5c. Re: air conditioning.
From: David Teitelbaum

6a. calling Dave Price or "No Start"
From: buickhawk

6b. Re: calling Dave Price or "No Start"
From: John Hervey

7. after market shocks
From: R... V.W.

8. DCS Daily Updates
From: IN2TIME

9. Sudden jerk and steering
From: Paul

10. The latest version of the DeLorean Owners Directory is now available
From: Montgomery, Ken

11. LAST CHANCE for Online DCS Registrations and Raffle Tickets
From: IN2TIME

12. Re: Fuel issues - Replaced nearly everything
From: rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com

13. Delorean Pantoon parts Still available delivery to DCS
From: Lawrence Lormand

14. Need ride from O'har to Pheasant Run
From: Christopher Mack

15. Re: New free 'cell phone' parking lots at Chicago airports
From: Justin Lambright

Messages

1. Re: DCS Caravan changes
Posted by: "d_rex_2002" rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net d_rex_2002
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:25 am (PDT)

Kevin and others driving from the East Coast,

I have some good news to report about construction delays on I-80, from the East Coast to Illinois.

Most of the long term construction zones just West of the Scranton, NJ area have been picked up (mostly clear sailing).

I should have some additional I-80 info to report tomorrow or on Wednesday, as a local club member will be driving back one of his DeLoreans Chicago from the Long Island, NY area.
I asked him to record the mile marker info for construction zones, so I will try to post the latest info when I get it.

Drive safe everyone.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_...> wrote:

> FYI: I (personally) am 90% leaving tomorrow night (Tuesday) from
my house
> around 5:30ish (exit 27 on Rt 80 in NJ) I plan to drive approx 5 hours
> and stop overnight at a hotel in
PA/Ohio.

> Wed. morning I plan to meet up with Tiffany O. and Dave Strangand
in PA area
> and arriving in Chicago mid-day to attend the BTTF BBQ at the Bob
B's house.

> If anyone wants to tag along, please contact me directly
> delorean(at)abato.net
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin Abato
> Vin#16680

Messages in this topic (2)

Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:25 am (PDT)

Well, I received the last of three lame excuses for not being able to screen BTTF this week at three different theatres in the St. Charles area, so that idea is a bust.
Too tired to list the third lame excuse.

See you all in a few days.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_...> wrote:

> No final news on the possible BTTF screening on June 15 at 9am at
> Randall Theatre yet, but its not looking good.
> I should have a final word by Monday, but given the time to get the
> film, it looks like the answer will be NO.
>
> Later,
> Rich W

Messages in this topic (18)

3. Re: Which wire for power antenna?
Posted by: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com ryanpwright
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:26 am (PDT)

A cleaner, albet more expensive, option is to buy a new radio. My Eclipse only raises the antenna in AM/FM mode. Turn on the CD player or AUX inputs (for the iPod) and it lowers it automatically.

The stereo in my Montero is obnoxious - if you turn on just the CD player, the antenna stays down. But if you turn on the radio, then switch to the CD player, it leaves it up. I can't stand driving down the road with objects needless deployed from my vehicle, so I always turn it off, wait for the antenna to lower, then push the "CD" button to go directly to playing a CD.

-Ryan

Messages in this topic (3)

4a. Re: squeeking noise
Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:26 am (PDT)

That was a great idea - in fact I even pulled the wheels off, adjusted the parking brakes, and while I was in there I pulled out the rear brake pad pins, cleaned them, and greased them. Then I took it for a drive - unfortunately that wasn't the problem because there is still something making a little noise.

The noise I hear is very similar to rubbing glass with a wet towel, or the sound the fuel pump makes when it is cavitating (definitely not the problem).
It is not rhythmic and doesn't seem to be influenced by suspension travel.
It seems to be only doing this when the car is good and hot. I didn't notice it at all during warm up. It only squeeks when the car is moving, and it is not related to the brakes i.e. it doesn't go away or start when applying the brakes. It is not dependent on turning the car a certain direction, and I can only hear it at low speeds with my foot off the gas. I tried pulling the parking brake while I was rolling and that was a much higher-pitched squeek.
After I got home, I jacked the car up and turned the wheels by hand - no noises other than the typical pads rubbing the rotors. So, I guess I am convinced it has to be in the suspension but I don't know where. Maybe I will try spraying all of the bushings with silicone spray and see that has any effect.
I was also thinking it might be a cooling hose or fuel line rubbing on the frame or something.

Any other ideas?

Andy

In a message dated 6/12/2006 2:40:29 P.M. Central Standard Time, cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net writes:

Check your emergency brake(or as they call it now) your parking brake it might be slightly engaged.

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (6)

4b. Re: squeeking noise
Posted by: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com hmcelraft
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm (PDT)

I believe you have a sticking caliper piston. It is probably not
backing away from the rotor adequately and, when things get warmer,
the piston probably releases even less after you apply the brakes.
Was one brake pad worn more than the other? That is a sign.

I get a squeaking sound (rhythmic) from my driver side rear every
now and then, even with PJGrady's release springs, because of too
much rotor run out. But I don't get any pulsing, etc. so I'll just
live with it until I need some new rotors.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> That was a great idea - in fact I even pulled the wheels off,
adjusted the
> parking brakes, and while I was in there I pulled out the rear
brake pad pins,
> cleaned them, and greased them. Then I took it for a drive -
unfortunately
> that wasn't the problem because there is still something making a
little
> noise.
>
> The noise I hear is very similar to rubbing glass with a wet
towel, or the
> sound the fuel pump makes when it is cavitating (definitely not
the problem).
> It is not rhythmic and doesn't seem to be influenced by
suspension travel.
> It seems to be only doing this when the car is good and hot. I
didn't notice
> it at all during warm up. It only squeeks when the car is
moving, and it is
> not related to the brakes i.e. it doesn't go away or start when
applying the
> brakes. It is not dependent on turning the car a certain
direction, and I
> can only hear it at low speeds with my foot off the gas. I tried
pulling the
> parking brake while I was rolling and that was a much higher-
pitched squeek.
> After I got home, I jacked the car up and turned the wheels by
hand - no
> noises other than the typical pads rubbing the rotors. So, I
guess I am
> convinced it has to be in the suspension but I don't know where.
Maybe I will try
> spraying all of the bushings with silicone spray and see that has
any effect.
> I was also thinking it might be a cooling hose or fuel line
rubbing on the
> frame or something.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Andy
>

> In a message dated 6/12/2006 2:40:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> cbl302_at_dml_... writes:
>
> Check your emergency brake(or as they call it now) your parking
> brake it might be slightly engaged.
>

> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (6)

4c. Re: squeeking noise
Posted by: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net vin00538
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm (PDT)

Have you changed you accumilator lately? or maybe the rubber pieces
fell out that will hum with out insulation around it, or the lines
coming from the accumilator insulation broke off & is touching the
frame vibrating the fuel pump noise.
Lawrence

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> That was a great idea - in fact I even pulled the wheels off,
adjusted the
> parking brakes, and while I was in there I pulled out the rear
brake pad pins,
> cleaned them, and greased them. Then I took it for a drive -
unfortunately
> that wasn't the problem because there is still something making a
little
> noise.
>
> The noise I hear is very similar to rubbing glass with a wet
towel, or the
> sound the fuel pump makes when it is cavitating (definitely not
the problem).
> It is not rhythmic and doesn't seem to be influenced by
suspension travel.
> It seems to be only doing this when the car is good and hot. I
didn't notice
> it at all during warm up. It only squeeks when the car is
moving, and it is
> not related to the brakes i.e. it doesn't go away or start when
applying the
> brakes. It is not dependent on turning the car a certain
direction, and I
> can only hear it at low speeds with my foot off the gas. I tried
pulling the
> parking brake while I was rolling and that was a much higher-
pitched squeek.
> After I got home, I jacked the car up and turned the wheels by
hand - no
> noises other than the typical pads rubbing the rotors. So, I
guess I am
> convinced it has to be in the suspension but I don't know where.
Maybe I will try
> spraying all of the bushings with silicone spray and see that has
any effect.
> I was also thinking it might be a cooling hose or fuel line
rubbing on the
> frame or something.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Andy
>

> In a message dated 6/12/2006 2:40:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> cbl302_at_dml_... writes:
>
> Check your emergency brake(or as they call it now) your parking
> brake it might be slightly engaged.
>

> Fargo, ND
> 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (6)

5a. Re: air conditioning.
Posted by: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com marvhein
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 am (PDT)

Assuming there's really nothing wrong with your system, you might want
to make sure both of your radiator fans are working properly. Up
until a couple of weeks ago, I would have said exactly what you're
saying. My air worked, but it was marginal. It turns out I had been
running on one stock fan since taking delivery of the car from the PO
over a year ago!

New dual fans now and I'm really cool! The A/C seems consistent with
that of my newer cars, even here in Vegas. (It's been 110 already.)
If you have stock fans, you might want to replace them with newer high-
flow fans. I suppose it would be possible to put in a stronger and
quieter blower motor too... but my stock motor seems fine.

On other fronts, you might make sure no one has closed any vents with
the little thumb wheel. I couldn't figure out why only one of my
center vents moved air. :)

If you think you're losing too much cool air to leaky door vents or
just prefer really strong flow out of your center vents, an easy way
to experiment would be to stick a couple of rags in the door vent
hoses to plug them up.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Ok, this is it.
> I'm spending a weekend with my Deloreans having fun and even driving
> them. I've had my air conditioner swapped to R-134..
> I even have a charging kit. It seems to be working ok in that it
> cools and the guages say it's fully charged. Here's my problem. I
> don't like this damn thing.. I'm too used to newer air conditioners
> with fans that blow hard, cold, and let me cool down fast.
> I think we need a whole new fan/air conditioner unit.
> Anybody know of one or a method to get this thing to cool down fast
in
> a hot climate.
> Thanks
> Dale Funk

Messages in this topic (10)

5b. Re: air conditioning.
Posted by: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com snextime
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 am (PDT)

Take your lower door panels off and use some "Great Stuff" slow
expanding foam and spray it completely around the vent where it comes
in from the door and all along the top of the black plastic housing. My
side vents will actually blow so hard they blow my hair around now.

Anybody Email me direct and i will forward pictures of what i am
talking about.

This modification makes your door vents supercharged.

Mark V

On Jun 12, 2006, at 7:21 AM, kjc wrote:
> On the subject of the door vents-- I hate them. They don't seal well
> and I
> don't think they can be pointed right to hit me in the face. I have to
> give
> the engineers a C on these guys. I have better luck with the front
> vents.

Messages in this topic (10)

5c. Re: air conditioning.
Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net jtrealtywebspannet
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:37 pm (PDT)

You're right you can fix it that way. I prefer to use methods that are
more reversable. That expanding foam is very difficult to remove and
can damage things. If you squirt it into a small space it can exert
great force as it expands, bending things. It is very bad to get it on
your skin and it gets very hot as it cures. If you take your time you
can make the parts fit better and you can use foam weatherstripping
and duct tape to seal the duct up. You CAN lose a lot of cool air in
the doors if the parts are not fit together well and a lot of the
power of the blower motor. BTW the vents in the doors do not aim well,
I can't get them to point over enough so you can feel the air except
with your hand. If you feel you have to use the foam you can wrap the
duct loosely with tape and inject the foam between the tape and the
duct. You still would have to be careful not to get the foam inside
the duct.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Take your lower door panels off and use some "Great Stuff" slow
> expanding foam and spray it completely around the vent where it comes
> in from the door and all along the top of the black plastic housing. My
> side vents will actually blow so hard they blow my hair around now.
>
> Anybody Email me direct and i will forward pictures of what i am
> talking about.
>
> This modification makes your door vents supercharged.
>
> Mark V
>

> On Jun 12, 2006, at 7:21 AM, kjc wrote:
> > On the subject of the door vents-- I hate them. They don't seal well
> > and I
> > don't think they can be pointed right to hit me in the face. I
have to
> > give
> > the engineers a C on these guys. I have better luck with the front
> > vents.

Messages in this topic (10)

6a. calling Dave Price or "No Start"
Posted by: "buickhawk" buickhawk_at_dml_hotmail.com buickhawk
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 am (PDT)

I see that Dave Price had this problem back in 1997 on the DML, but I
could not find a solution. If anyone has an idea, please give it to me
or Chicago may be bust.
My Delorean starts no problem when it is cold. It starts well and
quickly. When it has warmed up, it won't start at all. No crank, no
sound from the engine compartment, nothing. I do hear clicking of the
fuel system pumping up and such but the starter doesn't crank (solenoid
doesn't click either).
I replaced the starter and there was no change in the situation.
What can it be?
Dave if you are out there, what was the solution to your engine
warm/no crank problem?

Messages in this topic (2)

6b. Re: calling Dave Price or "No Start"
Posted by: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com johnatspecialt
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm (PDT)

Early vin cars before 2547 had to have a modification done to the start
inhibit relay. That my be your problem. I have the fix on the web site.

  I see that Dave Price had this problem back in 1997 on the DML, but I
could not find a solution.  If anyone has an idea, please give it to me
or Chicago may be bust.
  My Delorean starts no problem when it is cold.  It starts well and
quickly.  When it has warmed up, it won't start at all.  No crank, no
sound from the engine compartment, nothing.  I do hear clicking of the
fuel system pumping up and such but the starter doesn't crank (solenoid
doesn't click either).
  I replaced the starter and there was no change in the situation.
What can it be?
  Dave if you are out there, what was the solution to your engine
warm/no crank problem?

Messages in this topic (2)

7. after market shocks
    Posted by: "R... V.W." phaedradolly_at_dml_yahoo.com phaedradolly
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:28 am (PDT)

Hey All,

  Does anyone know who used to sell the modified shocks for the De Lorean? He
  sold them for about $285 ish . I moved and must have lost the directions and I   not
  sure if I have all the parts.

  Thanks,

  J & R

Messages in this topic (1)

8. DCS Daily Updates
    Posted by: "IN2TIME" Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com xynext
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:29 am (PDT)

For those of you who are not able to attend, I will be posting pictures on
the DCS Website once or twice per day during the show.

There will also be a vendor's page similar to the one at:

http://www.deloreancarshow.com/dcs-2004/vendors.html

Vendors - If you have specific new items that you think our website visitors
will want to see, or if I need to update your contact info, etc., please let
me know.

Gary

IN2TIME

Messages in this topic (4)

9. Sudden jerk and steering
    Posted by: "Paul" willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk willinot
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:34 am (PDT)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not updating sooner.

Thanks for all the advice regarding both issues (the steering wheel
alignment and the jerk in first and second gear)

Firstly the steering wheel alignment.  I have not had a change to get it
professionally checked out but am intending to as soon as possible.  Thanks
for the advice David.

Regarding the jerking in first and second gear, you were spot on, the fuel
hose had split at the base of the pump causing it to suck air when half
full.  I have cut the end off and re-connected it but intend to replace it
properly cos realise this will probably slit again.

Thanks again for the advice.

Paul J

Belfast

Messages in this topic (6)

10. The latest version of the DeLorean Owners Directory is now available
    Posted by: "Montgomery, Ken" kenm_at_dml_csus.edu montkw95608
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:35 am (PDT)

    Hi everyone,

A new edition of the DeLorean Owners Directory is now available on the
dmcnews website.

You can access, or request access to a copy of the DOD at:
http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

The directory resides in a password-protected area for members to
download. If you have already received a login, your current login and
password will continue to be valid.

Only owners who have listed their cars in the Directory can obtain a
copy of the Directory. This is to help protect the owners' privacy.

I really wanted to have it out 2 weeks ago but the updates kept coming
in from the mailing we did a month plus ago, and a few other items came
in way late too. I just had to cut things off and get the issue out
before the DCS in Chicago.

 I've been able to make a huge update to the data from a printed mailing
that was sent out to everyone we had postal addresses for. This was made
possible through a generous donation from the DeLorean Motor Company.
The mailing was handled by an independent mailing house so your personal
data was not shared or comprised. The DeLorean Owners Directory does not
share your information with any company under any circumstances.

For everyone we mailed, if we did not receive a reply or the mail
'bounced' and we had not received an on-line update recently, the entry
for that person was removed. If you find your entry has been deleted,
please see the instructions on the dmcnews website to resubmit you and
your car to the Directory.

All submissions to the Owners Directory after June 4, 2006 will be in
the next issue.

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME' & VIN 05794
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Messages in this topic (1)

    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:36 am (PDT)

As pointed out by Ken in a previous post, shortly after midnight tonight
(June 12th) you will no longer be able to use the DCS Store to buy Raffle
Tickets or Register for the DeLorean Car Show.

Show Registration and Raffle Tickets will still be available for purchase at
the show.

On-Site Registration/Check-In will begin Thursday between 3:00 and 4:00 and
continue to about 6:00.

There will be another official Registration/Check-In period between 4:00 and
6:00 Friday.

Registration/Check-In may be arranged at other times, subject to show
personnel availability.

At Check-in you will receive a badge indicating the events that you have
registered for.

NO BADGE - NO SHOW.

Anyone trying to attend an event without registering will be punished to the
full extent of the Internet.

Now it's time to have some FUN!

See you at Pheasant Run!

Gary

IN2TIME

Messages in this topic (4)

12. Re: Fuel issues - Replaced nearly everything
    Posted by: "rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com" rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com pjgrady2000
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:43 am (PDT)

Sean,

It’s the little raised plug between the fuel distributor and the air sensor
housing (under the air filter assembly). If it’s never been adjusted there
will be a plug to drill out (Oh joy!). Right to richen …left to lean… play
with it till it gets better…there is no standard “how much”. Eventually have
a shop set it up the right way as per the manual.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

   _____

    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm (PDT)

I stll have From about 10" from firewall to both rear pantoons
everthing but the whole front section, all or just parts in great
condition!!! must get rid of, if not sold I'll be forced to cut up &
throw out, as I need the room for my 6 Deloreans, let me know now what
you need so I can cut the pieces & load them up pay me _at_dml_ DCS.I leave
for DCS Thursday 7am see you there.
Lawrence 313-506-3786 cell 9am-11pm (E.S.T).

Messages in this topic (1)

14. Need ride from O'har to Pheasant Run
    Posted by: "Christopher Mack" christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com christopher_mack
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm (PDT)

Hello,

I found out that I can take a shuttle from Midway to O'hare.  Is there anyone getting into ohare in the afternoon who can give me a ride to Pheasant Run?  I estimate that I will arrive at O'hare by 2 p.m. June 15.  Please email me asap and let me know.

thanks

-Chris

Messages in this topic (1)

15. Re: New free 'cell phone' parking lots at Chicago airports
    Posted by: "Justin Lambright" jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com jlambri4400
    Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:50 pm (PDT)

on a normal day, probably about 45 min.
  in your case, i'd say add an hour to it, lol

Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com> wrote:
          what is the driving time estimate from O-Hara about 4:30PM Friday? - I
have to pick someone up around them :-(

probably couldn't be a worse time...

tnx, Cliff

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:04:30 -0000, you wrote:

>Flying into Chicago for DCS 2006?
>
>Some info for people flying in for the events next week,
>especially if they are being picked up at the airport by
>someone who is already in the Chicago area.
>
>Drivers picking up passengers at Chicago's airports can
>avoid some of the runaround by using new free cell phone
>parking lots that have been opened on June 1, 2006.
>
>The lots, located within a five-minute drive of terminals
>at O'Hare International and Midway Airports, are now open
>and provide places for motorists to wait for arriving
>passengers without having to pay to park, waste precious
>gas or risk ticketing and towing.
>
>After receiving a phone call, drivers can proceed to the
>terminal to pick up passengers waiting at curbside.
>
>The cell phone lot at O'Hare has 150 spaces designated
>in economy parking lot F, off Bessie Coleman Drive.
>Signs directing drivers to the cell lot are posted on
>Mannheim and Zemke Roads and on I-190, the access
>highway from the Kennedy Expressway.
>
>The 90-space cell phone lot at Midway is at 61st Street
>and Cicero Avenue, south of the main airport entrance.
>Signs are installed on Cicero and along the lower-level
>roadway outside the terminal.
>
>Drivers waiting in the cell phone lots must be inside
>their vehicles at all times, and parking is limited to
>one hour. Violators will be ticketed and towed.
>
>Hope everyone has a safe trip here next week.
>
>Later,
>Rich W.

Messages in this topic (9)