From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:19 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3295

1. Re: West Coast DCS? -Was: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
From: Montgomery, Ken

2a. Re: News coverage of DCS
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

2b. Re: News coverage of DCS
From: Patrick Conlon

3. Re: DCS06 BTTF BBQ Photos
From: Bob Brandys

4a. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
From: Nathan Sobieralski

4b. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
From: Kevin Heller

4c. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
From: Dave Swingle

5a. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA
From: Marc Levy

5b. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. DCS and the overseas guests
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. My great Delorean experience (future owners read)
From: Nathan Sobieralski

8a. Re: DCS judging of cars
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8b. Re: DCS judging of cars
From: Jeremy Popp

9. Awards
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10a. Idea for DCS 2008
From: Adam Lee

10b. Re: Idea for DCS 2008
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. DCS Website
From: IN2TIME

12. Re: after market shocks
From: Mike Atkinson

13. DCS Glass
From: John F. Poland

14. Memorial To John
From: Byrne Heninger

15a. Clutch Line Bleeding
From: sweetp01569

15b. Re: Clutch Line Bleeding
From: David Teitelbaum

16. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: DCS has come and gone
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

18. Gettysburg questions recieved
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Messages

1. Re: West Coast DCS? -Was: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
Posted by: "Montgomery, Ken" kenm_at_dml_csus.edu montkw95608
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 am (PDT)

Since I got mentioned a few times reguarding West Coast events, I thought I'd speak up.

Ken K was a big help to me when I put on a West Coast show in 2001. We had 100 people, about 27 DeLoreans, 17 Bricklins and 7 Mercedes 300SL Gullwings. That was a great turnout considering the event was only 2 weeks after 911!

I don't want to give any dates or details at this time, but, right now the Western local clubs are working together to put on a proper event next year. We were rather surprised at the DOA announcement, but after several long talks I expect they will also be included in what we're planning. We've not said anything because we want to get the venue signed -on paper- to lock the location and dates. It does no good to announce that you're 'intending' on putting on a car show and then have things get pulled out from under you. That's why I was unable to assemble an event in 2003. Once we're locked in (and that will be soon!), the DML members will be the first to know.

To see images from the 2001 show, see:
http://www.ncdmc.org/carshow/2001wrapup.htm

If you have ideas or questions, contact me or Randal Brown of the AZ club.

Ken (M)'West Coast Ken'

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME' & VIN 05794 http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club http://www.ncdmc.org Keeper of the International DeLorean Owners Directory http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com ========================================================

Messages in this topic (1)

2a. Re: News coverage of DCS
Posted by: "lordshill_at_dml_aol.com" lordshill_at_dml_aol.com lordshill1
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:26 am (PDT)

To all: Ya just gotta love the media. Since I'm quoted I need to clear up a few quotes. When asked how much my D was worth I told him I would not take less than $50 K for it. I never said that vanity plates were silly, but I did say that if I could think up something original and funny I'd go for it.
I did say that I get a chuckle out of them and it was a personal choice. My son had personalized plates on his car in college..PUNTER 19 as he was in college on a football scholarship.

Roy

Messages in this topic (5)

2b. Re: News coverage of DCS
Posted by: "Patrick Conlon" PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com p12c16
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:26 am (PDT)

FWIW, the printed version of this article was a little different,
mainly with a large picture of my DeLorean on the front page.

Of the 2000+ Corvettes and 157 DeLoreans in attendance, I am blown
away that they chose my car to grace the front page of the paper.

Thanks to everyone at the show who came running up to me saying I
made the front page. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

I think the show was a tremendous success, and I hope to see you all
at Gettysburg in 2008!

-Patrick C.
1880

On Jun 19, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Dave Swingle wrote:

> Keeps coming in. I'll post more as I find it locally.
>
> Here's a story about vanity plates showing Ken's from DCS and
> giving an
> interview with Kevin Abato.
>
> http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=200159
>
> We're expecting a large story in the Chicago Tribune within the next
> few days.
>
> Here are a couple more:
> http://tinyurl.com/npt3h Chris K
> http://tinyurl.com/mvhde Matt Parker, Ron Wester, Rich W
>

> Dave S

> To search the archives or view files, log in at http://
> groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Messages in this topic (5)

3. Re: DCS06 BTTF BBQ Photos
Posted by: "Bob Brandys" BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com bob6351
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:26 am (PDT)

Kevin,

You reallllly got some great photos!!! I wish we were retired and
rich so we could go to all the DMA events.

Bob

Messages in this topic (2)

4a. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
Posted by: "Nathan Sobieralski" valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com valleyrat12
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:27 am (PDT)

Found it!!

A loose bolt on the cross over pipe heat shield was the culprit. I
tried tightening it down but it broke off :( Oh well. The sound is
now gone. If anyone is having the same noise problem Ill bet it is
the crossover pipe.

Nathan
2277 (now much quieter)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski"
<valleyrat12_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Kevin- Even more interesting given your vin number. Mine is 2277,
> perhaps this is a clue. Was anything done differently on the
exhaust
> in the early vins?
>
> Nathan
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Kevin Heller <howdyhoho_at_dml_> wrote:
> >
> > My DeLorean has the same sound. Always when
> > accelerating. It sounds almost like a chain rattling
> > across a gear (like when you neglect to lubricate your
> > bike chain for over a month... not that I know what
> > that's like.. =) or maybe a slightly worn bearing. I
> > don't have a metal heatshield in place, it's still the
> > original (and in need of replacement) so it's not
> > that. I've been under the car tightening things down
> > and found some hoses whose tie lines had snapped. I
> > relaced those and tightened the lines down, but the
> > sound still persists.
> >
> > Kind of comforting knowing I'm not the only one with
> > this mystery sound, but also kind of worrisome that I
> > can't figure out what it is.
> >
> > -Kevin
> > VIN 2234

> > http://mail.yahoo.com

Messages in this topic (7)

4b. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
Posted by: "Kevin Heller" howdyhoho_at_dml_yahoo.com howdyhoho
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:47 am (PDT)

A thought has just occured to me.

On many DeLoreans I notice the engine cover sits
firmly in place and makes no contact with any of the
engine components. On mine, the engine cover makes
contact with the Coolant bottle (still the original)
cap because it seems to sit higher up in the
compartment. It also makes contact on some lines on
the left hand side just back of the AC compressor.
Because of this, there are dents and bends in the
metal screen of the cover.

Because of the slight play that exists in the metal
cover while it is latched down, is it possible the
rattle sound is coming from the Engine cover making
contact with the coolant bottle cap and that an
acceleration is needed to rattle the cage enough?
Should it be that there is no play at all in the cover
when latched down?

I'll check on it later in the week by insulating the
areas on the cage and see if the sound dissapears.

Thoughts?

-Kevin

Messages in this topic (7)

4c. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
Posted by: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com daveswingle2
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:18 am (PDT)

Sometimes a couple of well-placed high-quality stainless hose clamps
around the pipe and shield will work wonders too.

Dave S

wrote:

> Found it!!
>
> A loose bolt on the cross over pipe heat shield was the culprit. I
> tried tightening it down but it broke off :( Oh well. The sound is
> now gone. If anyone is having the same noise problem Ill bet it is
> the crossover pipe.
>
> Nathan
> 2277 (now much quieter)

Messages in this topic (7)

5a. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com malevy_nj
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 am (PDT)

How can any of those claims be backed up?

--- Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com> wrote:

> For DCS-08
>
> Ken needs to ad awards for
>
> 1. Most miles on the original engine.
> 2. Most miles on the original automatic transmission
> without rebuilding.
> 3. Most miles on the unrestored chassis.
>
> We need to document how long these cars can last.
>
> Bob

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

> dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

Messages in this topic (21)

5b. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 am (PDT)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just made my reservations for DCS08
and it only took about 3 minutes. It's very easy so even if you are on the
fence, just make the call and get a room set up!!! What do you have to lose?
I made the mistake of putting it off forever even though I knew I was coming
- and I didn't get a tower room like I wanted! So I have learned my
lesson.... Can we beat 157 cars in 2008?

Pheasant Run was definitely an awesome show and I am already looking forward
to Gettysburg! Great Job Ken, your efforts are appreciated!! It was fun
dunking you too, by the way!

Andy Lien

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (21)

6. DCS and the overseas guests
Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 am (PDT)

Wtih all that happened at the show the other day I made one oops that I
truely regret today.

The DCS is looking for more involvement from the participants from Europe and
other countries and I had Olliver from Germany going to talk to us at the
show for a few minutes.
He does not normally make speaches and he did ask me and I said ok. He is
also not someone to keep bugging me and in this case that would have helped with
me being so busy. But he never got to give his speach and it was my oversite.

Also I wanted to take some time to thank our guests from arcoss either pond
for coming and in my brilliant moment of DUH did not do so. So to you Olliver
I apologize and in the next show I hope to correct one other problem in that
there were no awards for anyone that came over to the show even though you
could not bring your cars. I will fix that for the next show.

So again I apologize to Olliver for my oversight and will work to better
unite us all under one show.

Messages in this topic (1)

Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 am (PDT)

In response the recent inquiry about good Delorean experiences...

I have wanted a Delorean since I was 5 years old and first saw BTTF
in the theatres. I got my wish last November with the support of my
wife after doing extensive research on the car. We drove vin 2277
1300 miles from Denver to Los Angeles without a single problem. I
did, however, find many problems once I got the car home. None of
these problems proved insurmountable and as new challenges
presented, I would rise to them. I slowly updated my precious 25
year old car, not because it was not drivable, but because I wanted
to head off problems in the future (This is very important for ANY
classic car owner) All in all I have spent more money keeping my
1994 Geo Metro on the road than the Delorean.

Since doing the required updates (at the behest of fellow DMLers)
the car has been completely reliable. I have driven it from Los
Angeles to Fresno (roughly 250 miles each way) three times. Once I
drove from Los Angeles to Fresno, then the next day drove to Pismo
and then back to Los Angeles (roughly 600 miles). No problems. I
trust my Delorean as much as my 2002 Grand Vitara (The delorean gets
better gas mileage).

The Delorean is NOT the most difficult car I have worked on. On the
contrary I have found it quite easy in comparison to the Triumph
Spitfire and BMW E12 (530) I used to own. If you know what you are
getting into before you start a project you will be fine. That
includes having information form the shop manual and more
importantly from others who have actually completed the procedure!
If you do this and you know which way to turn bolts to loosen
them/tighten them you will get on fine.

My Delorean is 100% functional and I am very proud of it. Thank you
DML, SpecialTauto, and DMC Garden Grove.

Nathan
2277

Messages in this topic (1)

8a. Re: DCS judging of cars
Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:29 am (PDT)

I usually don't give out the sheets since its more of an informal judging and
it is time consuming but if you call me maybe I can help.
i do not have the sheets back yet so give me at least a week

also Bernie if you are out there can you answer this as you were a judge
ken

Messages in this topic (3)

8b. Re: DCS judging of cars
Posted by: "Jeremy Popp" trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com trentjus
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 am (PDT)

I won for the "newest owner" as I bought my car sept '05. I am very
certain though that there was a newer owner there, because I met
him. I belive he has owned for only 3 weeks. Oh well, what can you
do. I would also be interested to know if the judging sheets are
available. I was in the 20-30k class and I thought my car was pretty
dang clean!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I had entered my car in the standard judging class (0-10,000 mi) at
DCS
> and was wondering if anyone knew how I could get the judging sheets
for
> my car. This is the first show that I have ever been a participant
in
> and I don't know what the judges look for. It would be a great
help to
> me, if I new what I was graded on.
>
> Also, does any one know how long the winner of the "Newest Delorean
> Owner" award has owned his Car?
>
> Terry
> 11572
> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2257846

Messages in this topic (3)

9. Awards
Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:29 am (PDT)

Its kinda funny
Last time I got feedback that I gave out too many awards so I did cut back a
bit and today I am getting comments I should add more.
Interesting

Messages in this topic (1)

10a. Idea for DCS 2008
Posted by: "Adam Lee" delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com delorean852003
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:29 am (PDT)

I do not know if this one would be possible but I heard some good
feedback at the show when I asked a few Delorean owners. In addition
to the raffle car, what about selling raffle tickets to win a refurb
of your own car from the vendor of your choice? (or whatever vendor
might sponsor) I would have loved to win the raffle car car but would
really enjoyed and purchased more tickets if I were getting my own car
refurbished. Of course a minimum ticket buy in. If enough tickets were
not purchased how about a prize or prizes that might equal around what
is in the ticket pot? (DMCH Exhaust, modified engine etc) Is this
possible? Anyone like this idea?

Thanks,

Adam Lee
VIN #1913

Messages in this topic (2)

10b. Re: Idea for DCS 2008
Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:51 am (PDT)

Never thought of that angle let me give it some consideration and e-mail me
back in a few months to keep me reminded

ken

Messages in this topic (2)

11. DCS Website
Posted by: "IN2TIME" Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com xynext
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 am (PDT)

I have more work to do on the DCS Site, but it's very late (early).

A lot of Saturday pictures have been posted, and most of the award info is
posted. If your name is spelled wrong, please email me off-line with the
corrected info - Specialty(at)IN2TIME.com

Gary

IN2TIME

Messages in this topic (5)

12. Re: after market shocks
Posted by: "Mike Atkinson" mikeatk_at_dml_cox.net
Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 am (PDT)

Byrne,

About your web site. Can you please give us a hint on what your "Research" is going to be. Headers, Engine, Cams all the above?

Thanks

Mike Atkinson

    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:31 am (PDT)

Marv,

I was planning on attending the show, but neck/spine surgery has sidelined
me.  I actually got to go sit in the car for the first time in two weeks
yesterday.  Driving will probably another week or two - until I can get
around without the collar.

I bought my DeLorean not long after the Pigeon Forge show and was really
looking forward to making it to Chicago.  I spent a lot of time getting the
car ready to make it only to have my body decide that there would be no
traveling.

I would love to have something from the show - let me know what you decide.

John Poland

Messages in this topic (1)

14. Memorial To John
    Posted by: "Byrne Heninger" heningerandassoc_at_dml_earthlink.net churchishis
    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:32 am (PDT)

See illustrated memorial to John on our home page. www.Heningerandassociates.com

Byrne Heninger
heningerandassoc_at_dml_earthlink.net

Messages in this topic (1)

15a. Clutch Line Bleeding
    Posted by: "sweetp01569" paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com sweetp01569
    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:35 am (PDT)

Last week, I noticed that my clutch seemed to be engaging gears closer
to the floor as I released my pedal.  I checked my clutch fluid
reservoir to find out that it was empty.  I filled it, then noticed a
puddle forming under the car.  I discovered a split in the hose just
where it connects to the bottom of the fluid reservior.  After I
corrected it, I refilled the reservoir to full.  I haven't driven the
car yet, but wanted to ask if I should re-bleed the line.  Could air
have been introduced into the line?  Would this problem have caused
the clutch to engage close to the floor instead of the pedal being
higher before engaging?  Thanks,

Messages in this topic (2)

15b. Re: Clutch Line Bleeding
    Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net jtrealtywebspannet
    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:48 am (PDT)

The best thing to do would be to flush and bleed the clutch system.
The system should be flushed every 2 years anyway so you might as well
do it. Especially if the fluid was dark and thick. You should also
consider doing the brakes as well. A problem with the clutch cylinders
would cause the pedal to not have as much effect so you probably got
air in there. Clean up any spilled brake fluid aka paint remover. It
will soften the epoxy paint and cause it to detach from the metal
frame. Try to only use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 brake fluid. It seems to be
the most compatable fluid with the internal rubber components in
British cars. It is "not a good thing" to drive on a faulty clutch.
You take a big chance of doing internal damage to the transmission.
Before you flush and bleed the clutch it would be a good time to put
the steel braided clutch line in if it is not there.

    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 am (PDT)

withyour doors open did not necessarily mean you would be judged
they had a list of vin numbers to judge and if you were on the list and your
doors were open then you got judged.

Neither the waterspots or the road dust were deducted for per my instructions

Messages in this topic (21)

17. Re: DCS has come and gone
    Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 am (PDT)

In a message dated 6/19/06 2:33:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jlambri4400_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> how about a trivia game w/special guests playing. It would be like
> Jeopardy! w/Delorean &BTTF categories

Kevin Abato was going to do that and it just got swallowed up in the show

Messages in this topic (2)

    Date: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 am (PDT)

I have had a lot of people e-mail me on how ridiculous it is to make a
reservation out two years for a show and why I do this when other shows do not.

Well I try to get you the best rates.  If you compared what you paid at PR
for hotel rooms vs what the corvette people paid for the same rooms I think it
will become obvious.

 I negotiate things differently with bonuses, freebies and concessions based
on room booking requirements.  This allows the hotel to make sure they have
maximum booking which in return benifits you in that I get better rates and
better service.

PR I thought did absolutely great especially when compared to the other
hotels we have had.  Not to say the others were bad but I thought PR was definately
a step ahead.

So here is the real scoop.
I have 250 rooms avail at this point. (5 less than we had at PR)
one tower is 150 rooms.
If we sell out the one tower by a specific date and that is not too far off,
we get an additional 50 rooms that will sell out the entire place.
Considering that most of the Chicago people did not get rooms we would have
sold out 300 plus at Chicago if the locals had stayed.

If I sell out the one tower soon I get the second tower for us as well.

Now this means that the staff does not have to concern themselves in say the
resturaunts, shops etc with Normal visitors so that frees up staff for us.

Also they do not have people trying to use the amusement part of the facility
or pool since we have it all.  I can possibly do a Steel drum band by the
pool in the evening that I could not normally do and the Go cart, put put, boats
etc that are now  on an individual pay as you go format where if we are the
only ones there I can get a much better deal for you and maybe get a group rate.

Most people doing these types of events take what is offered.  I try to make
the most of what is avail but if you do not have an entire complex there is
not much you can negotiate when it is a public area and they have non delorean
people there as well.

So if you register now  you start to give me an idea of how many are coming
and I can try to get us more for the money as the numbers grow

This past show probably cost me $4K in that (and this is a record)  62% of
you waited until after May 1st to register.
I am just running numbers now

We had from what I can tell 526 people that paid for stuff and I had 38 gate
crashers on Friday which caused me to empty the place Saturday.

So since they were there I gues they get counted too so that is 564 people.
And Kevin who did an excellent job counted 157 cars so this by far is the
largest show ever.

We also turned away about 20 people on Sat because of the problem on Friday
which is reflected in the loss mentioned aboveand could have gotten us over
580.

By the way we had about a dozen other activities we could have done but
things lasted longer so we cut some out like a Jepardy trivia game. a Deal or No
deal game and a few other things.

We will do them at Gettysburg.

Gettysburg we will do another musuem but not as large.  It took Four vehicles
to bring the stuff not including the 6 cars needed for the rest of the stuff.

Gettysburg will be a totally different show.  This show being the 25th we
concentrated on the history and a lot of lectures and such.
Gettysburg will be more of a people type of show.

For example we will do the cruise in early and have a BBQ dinner with the
food cooked on the huge grills Thursday followed by a buch of video at night
where you can bring a blanket and relax in the grass with the cars around us.

If we have the entire place we will have access to a bunch more stuff as
well.

The convention center is more than twice as large as this one.  We would have
done this one inside except I added the museum and I needed space but the
tents seemed to work out ok except for Dave OOPS

Predicting the numbers is my biggest challenge.  We pay for what we don't use
so I cut things close and if everyone does their part it works out fine.

My bottom line plea is Please register for at least a room asap If you book
it now it will only help us all in the long run.  And yes I do things different
its why your ticket price was $50 instead of $75 at PR so help me help you

Gettysburg reservation number 717-334-8018

This show was by far the most compex to set up and I want to thank all that
made it possible.  Despite the appearance of me running around all over which I
did, the set up went off great and the show was not that bad on me. I
actually ate all three nights and had some time to meet with some of you and actually
sit down a bit.

Here is a thought
I would like to see club competitions and I have a ton of ideas for that
non club owners would be grouped together so they can participate.

Its your show
help me help you

Messages in this topic (1)