From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:18 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3297

From: lakelanier20

From: Dave Swingle

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: Josh Haldeman

From: Chuck McKnight

From: Marv Hein

From: Chuck McKnight

From: Chuck McKnight

From: Chuck McKnight

From: Marc Levy

4b. Re: Polyurethane bushings.
From: DMCVIN6683

5. Re: Clunk, clunk, clunk
From: David Teitelbaum

6. Re: DCS judging of cars
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. Bumper bar
From: Nick

8. Free copies of CHICAGO video from Videobob?
From: Robert Moseley

9. DCS 2006
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

10. Concours-ready DeLorean for sale
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Idea for DCS 2008
From: Craig fleishauer

12. VIN plates at DCS
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13a. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
From: d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com

13b. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
From: Mike Atkinson

14. Re: Vixen Motor Homes
From: Dave Stragand

15. Re: DCS judging of cars PS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

16. Disassembling the rear hub
From: Matt Spittle

17. DCS 2006 Podcast!
From: IN2TIME

Messages

1a. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
Posted by: "lakelanier20" derek4567_at_dml_hotmail.com lakelanier20
Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:06 am (PDT)

Are the bolts on that heat shield something relatively easy to get
to? Or does the car need to be lifted or things taken apart...

On the DVD of the DMCH Open House from last year (or if you were there in person) I remember one part where James is giving the warehouse tour and he mentions what I recall to be the exact same problem. His car was making a noise and it was that same heat shield rattling.

Needless to say, my car makes such a noise, but not under "normal"
driving, only if I go above 3000 rpm. (typically I don't, since I have an automatic). I haven't searched the engine compartment yet for the culprit, but it looks like I'll start with this heat shield.

Thanks,
-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Sobieralski"
<valleyrat12_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Found it!!
>
> A loose bolt on the cross over pipe heat shield was the culprit. I
> tried tightening it down but it broke off :( Oh well. The sound is now
> gone. If anyone is having the same noise problem Ill bet it
is
> the crossover pipe.
>
> Nathan
> 2277 (now much quieter)

Messages in this topic (9)

1b. Re: Annoying rattling sound, help!
Posted by: "Dave Swingle" swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com daveswingle2
Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:16 am (PDT)

The bolts are on top of the crossover pipe (reach with a wrench) and almost invariably rusted into place, at least on northern cars.
Normally if you tighen them, they just break off. That's why I recommended a hose clamp unless you have the pipe out of the car anyway.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lakelanier20" <derek4567_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Are the bolts on that heat shield something relatively easy to get
> to? Or does the car need to be lifted or things taken apart...
>
> On the DVD of the DMCH Open House from last year (or if you were there
> in person) I remember one part where James is giving the warehouse
> tour and he mentions what I recall to be the exact same problem. His
> car was making a noise and it was that same heat shield rattling.

Messages in this topic (9)

2a. Cold FART problem
Posted by: "deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com waernstnj
Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:07 am (PDT)

No, it's not a typo. My D starts fine, even cold. Then a few minutes later, it farts, stumbles and backfires, with a hollow muffler sound and an extreme loss of power. In about a minute, it's all over, and I can roar off. Not a problem when it was just driven a short time before. Any thoughts on this infernal flatulence?

Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Messages in this topic (2)

2b. Re: Cold FART problem
Posted by: "Josh Haldeman" jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net delorun
Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:18 am (PDT)

Ditto...I've got the same problem...thinking warm-up reglator? Anyone know for sure before we both plop down a considerable chunk of change for a new/rebuilt one?

-Josh

  No, it's not a typo. My D starts fine, even cold. Then a few minutes later,
  it farts, stumbles and backfires, with a hollow muffler sound and an extreme
  loss of power. In about a minute, it's all over, and I can roar off. Not a
  problem when it was just driven a short time before. Any thoughts on this
  infernal flatulence?

  Wayne A. Ernst
  vin 11174
  Bridgeton, NJ

Messages in this topic (2)

3a. Re: Gettysburg questions recieved
    Posted by: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com gullwingdoors
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:08 am (PDT)

You never know, maybe I'll have remedied that problem by then.  (I can always dream anyway :)

Bernie <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net> wrote:                               And this coming from a non-owner.

Messages in this topic (12)

3b. Re: Gettysburg questions recieved
    Posted by: "Marv Hein" marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com marvhein
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:09 am (PDT)

Gettysburg seems a fitting place for a "war between the state's clubs."  Maybe non-club owners could ask to be affiliated with the club of their choice for the purposes of the competition.  Then again, maybe that would give AZ-D an unfair advantage. :)

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Be careful here,  you still have to contend with the AZ-D !!!
>
> Randal
>
> ---

Messages in this topic (12)

3c. Re: Gettysburg questions recieved
    Posted by: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com gullwingdoors
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:15 am (PDT)

You bet!

kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:
   So the competition is on !!!  Right ???

Messages in this topic (12)

3d. Re: Gettysburg questions recieved
    Posted by: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com gullwingdoors
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 am (PDT)

Nah, we can take on the AZD any day!

Randal <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
 Be careful here,  you still have to contend with the AZ-D !!!

 Randal

Messages in this topic (12)

3e. Re: Gettysburg questions recieved
    Posted by: "Chuck McKnight" gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com gullwingdoors
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am (PDT)

It would just be friendly competition.  (We'll still beat everyone)  But we'll do it, err, friendishly.  (Is that a word?????)

Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net> wrote:                               I don't think we should be pitting clubs against each other.  Let the
 community come together and be friendly.

 Kevin Abato
 VIn# 16680

 _____

 From:Chuck McKnight
 Subject: Re: [DML] Gettysburg questions recieved
 Ken, I love the idea for club competitions! But you do realize of course that DMCMD is going to crush all the other opponents. ;)

 kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.  com wrote:
 Here is a thought I would like to see club competitions and I have a ton of ideas for that non club owners would be grouped together so they can participate.

Messages in this topic (12)

4a. Polyurethane bushings.
    Posted by: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com malevy_nj
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:12 am (PDT)

I see DMCEurope is selling Polyurethane bushings.

Do any of the vendors over here in NA sell these
items?

Messages in this topic (2)

4b. Re: Polyurethane bushings.
    Posted by: "DMCVIN6683" dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com snextime
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am (PDT)

Toby Sells them.

http://tinyurl.com/gryfm

Mark V

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Marc Levy wrote:

> I see DMCEurope is selling Polyurethane bushings.
>
> Do any of the vendors over here in NA sell these
> items?

Messages in this topic (2)

5. Re: Clunk, clunk, clunk
    Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net jtrealtywebspannet
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:14 am (PDT)

This is not the kind of adjustment you can do properly by trial and
error. You will damage the ring and pinion and possibly the bearings.
The clunk-clunk is a sign that it is too loose. You can just as easily
overtighten it. The only way to get it right is to do it as per the
procedure in the Workshop Manual. To do it you have to pull and
disassemble the transmission. Don't drive on it until you can have the
adjustment done correctly, you will damage some expensive parts.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hi yall, been awhile since I've posted on here.  Just been
reading...  Now I have a question that I hope/know somebody will have
a good answer for.

> I have a five speed manual tranny. vin #2034

Messages in this topic (2)

6. Re: DCS judging of cars
    Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 am (PDT)

Is there someone out there that would do a manual for the daily drivers
I don't Expect Bernie to do it but I think he would be a good consultant or
final critique for it.

this has to be a 5 min per car shot or it cannot work

My forms are similar to the ones used in other car shows and I have no manual
that goes with it.

I can tell you right now I have no time to do this beyond what we are doing
and I agree with Bernie it works pretty well as there was only one complaint in
the judging of the daily drivers.

Next time I will get involved again with the specialty awards as that was
passed on and did not work well.

So if you (owners) want something different
go do it and pass it on to me

Messages in this topic (9)

7. Bumper bar
    Posted by: "Nick" nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com nicholden
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am (PDT)

Hi,

Has any got pictures of a front bumper bar that has been completely
painted including the lower skirt?

I'm about to have mine painted and was tossing up the idea.

Cheers, Nick

Messages in this topic (1)

8. Free copies of CHICAGO video from Videobob?
    Posted by: "Robert Moseley" videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com videobob11
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:20 am (PDT)

As most of you know I am making another great video about the car show
this year as I did in the past with the PIGEON FORGE show,
and more recently the DMC OPEN HOUSE in Houston.

This was a busy show and I couldn't be every where at once,
but I got a lot of great video!
However, I need more!

If you think you got some great video that should be added
to the video for the sake of history, please let me know.
I am looking for video shot on MiniDV, MiniDVD or other
digital formats.
I can however take 8mm, Hi8, Digital8, SVHS, etc.

I am looking for video of any of the runs and drives,
lines of cars, or even personal video of your own trip
to and from the show.

Those who donate footage to the video will get a full
credit on the video, and will get free copies of the
DVD's and return of your original tapes, as well
as a special goodie bag that I will put together for you.
Those of you who have helped in the past know I am very
generous with the goodies ;>

Please contact me off list if you want to contribute.

For those of you who pre-ordered, I hope to have the video
ready to go within a few weeks.

- Videobob

Messages in this topic (1)

9. DCS 2006
    Posted by: "doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com" doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com drdhdmd
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:23 am (PDT)

Well Ken pulled off another great show.  The material in the museum  was
amazing and I understand was only about a third of all the stuff he  had.  I
had a
great time.

I would like to thank the entire  Brandy Family for their most excellent
hospitality.  Not only did they  feed and entertain (?sp) a bunch of us prior
to the
show but they also drove  us to a parts store and help several of us fix our
cars.  Mine went  through two alt belts...   and I ended up needing to use
their
bench grinder for the repair.

Dave S, Toby  and Oliver also were  invaluable.

Did I mention I had a great time?

Keep up the good  work Ken.

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman

Messages in this topic (2)

10. Concours-ready DeLorean for sale
    Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:27 am (PDT)

Hey Group,

For years I have heard about a DeLorean owner an hour away from me in
Mayville, ND.  Rumor had it that a bank manager or owner from there is  an original
owner and still had the car.  I had never actually seen  this D though.  Until
today!

At Pheasant Run I got a phone call from a good friend back home in  Fargo who
told me a DeLorean was for sale in the showroom of a classic car  dealer
downtown.  He didn't know anything about DeLoreans really so he  couldn't say much
about it except that it was clean.

Today I went over to check it out, and it turns out that is the Mayville
DeLorean.  The current owner has it on consignment and he lives out of  state.
Here's the scoop:

Jan 1982 build, VIN 11017
Asking $25.900
Purchased in Two Harbors, MN
7100 Miles!
Gray interior, light gray carpet, light gray headliners, gray dealer
floormats in great shape.
Manual Trans
NCT's
Has a new stainless coolant bottle and door and louver struts from  Grady.
All other parts that I could see appear to be OEM.
DMCA parts and shop manual in binder, large dealer brochure.
Owners manual, Valet, dealer list, warranty pamphlet, and one other  brochure
Muffler is very clean, barely discolored and very shiny, so I believe the
miles.
OEM fan fail module and lock module still installed
Fascias are good, perhaps 95% perfect with a couple of small faded areas,
very straight and excellent fit and finish. No eyebrows.  Lower air grill  has a
dent in it.
Door seals and roof seals are excellent, minimal wear. one small tear on
inner door seal.
New battery
Has a transmission leak, appears to be weep seals but I didn't take a good
look.
Gray frame, no black undercoating, some surface rust but it's not bad.
Antenna won't go all the way down
Driver's side door doesn't seem to be aligned properly but it closes  OK.
The front edge of the door sticks up a little compared to the LF  fender.
Small ding on DS rear quarter by the bumper. Rest of body is perfect, good
fit and finish, nice grain pattern. Wheels look awesome!
Interior is CHERRY - very minimal wear, seats have ripples, very
comfortable.  Leather is not tight or stretched.   Slight rear  headliner sag but not
bad.  DS window needs a new motor.
Engine is extremely clean, only the slightest bits of corrosion and no
visible oil leaks. All hoses and parts except for the header bottle appear to be
original. NAPA oil filter.

I was unable to drive the car because it is in the lobby.

As an owner who has taken his car almost completely apart and back  together,
and been involved in concours judging at PF, I can tell you with  authority
that this is a very very nice car and with minimal effort would make a  great
concours vehicle.  I have no idea how it drives or runs but so far.  so good.

I took several pics, so if anyone is interested let me know.  I live  just 20
blocks away so I can check it out anytime.  If anyone is really  serious I
can get them to let me drive it.  The guys working there were  glad to talk to
me because they don't know anything about DeLoreans.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (1)

11. Re: Idea for DCS 2008
    Posted by: "Craig fleishauer" flyswater0_at_dml_yahoo.com flyswater0
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:34 am (PDT)

Hello All,
 This was my first car show. I was very impressed with  the cars that attended. The only suggestion that I wold make was that  the raffle tickets wouldn't take up so much time at the end of the  show. One of the people at my table suggested that tickets could be  pulled all at once and have a table for people to come up to claim  their prize. Then we could have more time with the vendors and check  out the cars.

James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:                                            That's something we've discussed for the DMC Reunion Show in Houston
  next summer.

  James Espey
  DMC (Texas)
  http://www.delorean.com

  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_...> wrote:

  > I do not know if this one would be possible but I heard some good
  > feedback at the show when I asked a few Delorean owners. In addition
  > to the raffle car, what about selling raffle tickets to win a refurb
  > of your own car from the vendor of your choice?

Messages in this topic (6)

12. VIN plates at DCS
    Posted by: "Soma576_at_dml_aol.com" Soma576_at_dml_aol.com soma576
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am (PDT)

I thought the VIN plates were an extremely good idea - even if we didn't  get
to do the VIN line-up.  If nothing else, it made for a great collector  plate
and I have it hanging in my garage - something that will remind me of  DCS06
many years from now.  Shirts get faded, brochures get thrown away,  pins get
misplaced.  But a metal license plate in a garage is  great!

Ken, please make this a regular part of DCS!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Messages in this topic (1)

13a. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
    Posted by: "d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com" d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am (PDT)

I'm from Long Island but I would go to a DeLorean east coast
(NY/CT/MA/RI/NJ) show anytime and I don't even own a Delorean (just 06 Civic
Si and a RX-7)!!!!

    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am (PDT)

To be fair how about breaking it into three regions nation wide.  Rotate so there is one show per region.  East, Midwest and west.  Just a thought.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232

  East coast has NEVER had a show, so that's slightly longer then your 6-8
  year span.

Messages in this topic (24)

14. Re: Vixen Motor Homes
    Posted by: "Dave Stragand" dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net phaedrys
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 am (PDT)

(Corrected links below)

The Vixen motorhome is really a fantastic vehicle.  We happened to

stumble across one at Hershey in 2004:

http://www.forwardlook.net/events/Hershey2004/IM005412.JPG

http://www.forwardlook.net/events/Hershey2004/IM005413.JPG

http://www.forwardlook.net/events/Hershey2004/IM005414.JPG

http://www.forwardlook.net/events/Hershey2004/IM005415.JPG

http://www.forwardlook.net/events/Hershey2004/IM005416.JPG

Like the DeLorean, it was very unique.  It was designed to be able to

fit into the average garage.

-Dave

Messages in this topic (2)

15. Re: DCS judging of cars PS
    Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 am (PDT)

By the way I just want to take time out to Say Thank you Bernie for Judging
I could not have had a better guy to do it so thank you very much.

ken

Messages in this topic (1)

16. Disassembling the rear hub
    Posted by: "Matt Spittle" matthew.spittle_at_dml_gmail.com supermattthehero
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 am (PDT)

Does anyone have some instructions on disassembling the rear hub?  In
particular, removing the driveshaft and wheel bearing from the rear
hub carrier?  I've removed the wheel-bearing-snap-ring, but I don't
want to start pounding on it aimlessly with a hammer.

thanks,

Messages in this topic (1)

17. DCS 2006 Podcast!
    Posted by: "IN2TIME" Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com xynext
    Date: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:18 am (PDT)

The DCS 2006 Podcast created by Shari Deutsch (www.princessaudio.com
<http://www.princessaudio.com/> ) has some great interviews from the show.

I just uploaded it to the DCS site (www.deloreancarshow.com
<http://www.deloreancarshow.com/> ). It is linked from the top of the home
page and also from the top of the Events/Pictures Pages
(www.deloreancarshow.com/dcs-2006/)

You can listen to it as you view the pictures :-)

Gary

IN2TIME

Messages in this topic (9)