From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:36 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3305

From: John Hervey

From: John Hervey

From: schab932000

From: Ryan Wright

From: Ryan Wright

From: Mike Cohee

From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

From: Ryan Wright

3d. Re: Optima Batteries?
From: Bernie

4a. Coil spring question
From: Tell you if you ask.

4b. Re: Coil spring question
From: Mike Bosworth

5. Re: Cross Section of a DeLorean door
From: Bob Brandys

6a. Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.
From: David Teitelbaum

6b. Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd

7. EBay auction # 280000557367
From: toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com

8. Re: Vacuum actuator cross ref? (was Question about a/c and hot water
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd

9a. Re: DeLorean on Wikipedia
From: Bob Brandys

9b. Re: DeLorean on Wikipedia
From: cbl1739

10a. Back on the road
From: Dave Sontos

10b. Re: Back on the road
From: Bernie

10c. Re: Back on the road
From: conundrum1984

11. 6/24/06 Downriver Cruise Photos
From: Lawrence Lormand

12. DCS06 - Friday Pictures
From: Kevin Abato

13. Re: Replacing door weatherstripping
From: conundrum1984

14. Re: Digest Number 3291
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

Messages

1. Re: Brake Pads - Compatble
Posted by: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com johnatspecialt
Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:03 am (PDT)

Mitch, I have the correct pads with hardware at a savings on the web site.

From:Mitchell Tyner
Subject: [DML] Brake Pads - Compatble

Anyone know of compatible brake pads for the front and rear brakes?
None of our local parts stores have the Delorean pads, but there are bound to be some others that will fit.

Messages in this topic (3)

2a. Re: A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com johnatspecialt
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:04 am (PDT)

Ryan, have you replaced the cycling switch or adjusted it.

From: Ryan Wright
Subject: [DML] A/C cutting out

My A/C simply cuts out sometimes when driving. The air will blow nice and cold, then at random will slowly get warm. It eventually kicks back in and cools down again, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes after 5 minutes. Driving doesn't affect it - I can be at idle or at speed the entire time.

Messages in this topic (5)

2b. Re: A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "schab932000" schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com schab932000
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:06 am (PDT)

Does your a/c turn off when running it at either the third of forth click on the fan blower speed? If it does, you may need an upgraded relay. If I remember right, these blower relays are more narrow that the regular relays and are silver in color. The original relay's amps where too low, which made them click off to cool down. When they'd cooled, the blower would kick back in. Try switching your fan speed to one or two klicks.. those are on a different relay.

Pat

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_...> wrote:

> My A/C simply cuts out sometimes when driving. The air will blow nice
> and cold, then at random will slowly get warm. It eventually kicks
> back in and cools down again, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes
> after 5 minutes. Driving doesn't affect it - I can be at idle or at
> speed the entire time.
>
> I suspect one of the pressure switches is kicking the compressor off
> when it shouldn't; all fans (interior blower & cooling fans) are
> working fine. I'm running R12 and the system is full per DMC specs.
> A/C shop looked at it but the problem is intermittant and they're
> having trouble diagnosing it, as every time I bring it in the darn
> thing works fine.
>
> Any advice on how I might troubleshoot this?
>
> -Ryan

Messages in this topic (5)

2c. Re: A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com ryanpwright
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 pm (PDT)

I haven't -- What is this, where can I find it, and how do I adjust it?

When I bought the car the A/C didn't work at all. A local shop replaced the low (?) pressure switch and that fixed it.

I should add, this seems to be heat related. The hotter it is outside, the less time my compressor will cycle before something shuts it down.

-Ryan

On 6/24/06, John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:

> Ryan, have you replaced the cycling switch or adjusted it.
>  John Hervey
>  www.specialtauto.com

Messages in this topic (5)

2d. Re: A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com ryanpwright
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:59 pm (PDT)

Pat,

Thank you for the reply. The fan blower is not the problem - it's working just fine. Rather, the A/C compressor is shutting down at random times so I quit getting cold air.

-Ryan

On 6/24/06, schab932000 <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Does your a/c turn off when running it at either the third of forth
> click on the fan blower speed? If it does, you may need an upgraded
> relay.

Messages in this topic (5)

3a. Re: Optima Batteries?
    Posted by: "Mike Cohee" billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net dmcmike2002
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:04 am (PDT)

Dave,

Mine just failed after 1 ˝ years so I echo what Rob says. I also had to recharge it a few times and that seemed to work until it finally dies a few weeks ago. The good news is that they just shipped me a new one since mine failed in the 3 year free replacement period. Save your receipt :-)

Mike Cohee

Messages in this topic (10)

3b. Re: Optima Batteries?
    Posted by: "dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net" dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net cooperbrowdy
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:09 am (PDT)

I  had a similar problem with my first Optima lasting only a year. The free replacement Optima battery in my car has been in it for 4 years and still going. I  have been driving my car infrequently and have had my doors open and stereo on for extended periods  (while woking on it)nand have discharged the battery completely several times and had to recharge it with my charger.
I have not been back to Florida yet from the DCS but I assume it will be ready to go when I get there.
I guess for once I got one of the good ones!

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Messages in this topic (10)

3c. Re: Optima Batteries?
    Posted by: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com ryanpwright
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:47 pm (PDT)

Wow, only one positive message in a barrage of nasties. Why does everyone recommend the Optima batteries if they're this bad?

I just bought a Red Top from Costco for my car a few weeks ago. I have to admit, it has helped out a lot in terms of assisting with voltage sags at idle. I also like the sealed design. If it dies in a year, I'm going to be pissed. Well, not too much since Costco has such generous return policies, but to get stranded because of a crappy battery would not make me a happy camper.

-Ryan

On 6/24/06, dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net <dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net> wrote:

>   I had a similar problem with my first Optima lasting only a year.

Messages in this topic (10)

3d. Re: Optima Batteries?
    Posted by: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net bmdmc
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:02 pm (PDT)

I totally agree, I bought a red top for BB, don't ever let it get low on charge, the battery is toast, and when the watranty runs out, I just get a normal battery.  I have replace 4 of them so far in less than a year.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_...> wrote:

> In one word….YES.  IMHO, and to put it as politely as possible, Optima batteries suck!

Messages in this topic (10)

4a. Coil spring question
    Posted by: "Tell you if you ask." racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com cruznmd
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:05 am (PDT)

Last weekend I rebuilt the front suspension on my DeLorean. The following work was completed:

1. Upper/lower ball joints with Grady reenforcement collars.
2. Upper/lower control arm bushings.
3. Control arms boxed in.
4. New front shocks (the "Marty M." kit).

Also not long ago, the tie rod ends and sway bar bushings were replaced. The rear shocks haven't been replaced yet due to time constraints but will be soon.

Ever since I put the car back together, if I hit a speed bump or pothole (at reasonable speeds), the passenger front coil spring makes a loud "DONG!" sound, and a second later, a softer "dong!" as if it's popping back into it's seat.

I am absolutely certain that I did NOT mix up the springs and install them on the wrong sides or upside down. I was paranoid about that for just this reason. However, the seed of doubt has been planted. Repeated visual inspections show nothing obviously wrong.

I know that some of you have done this job. Anyone ever have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rich A.

Messages in this topic (2)

4b. Re: Coil spring question
    Posted by: "Mike Bosworth" mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com bozzzydmc
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:29 pm (PDT)

Hi

Well its funny you should say that because it was only recently on a couple of cars that had the same problem this was found to be caused by the spring itself and it 'orientation' in the lower control arm.
In both cases this was solved by slightly recompressing the spring and rotating it so that the lower 'cut' end faced towards the middle of the car rather than facing outward. It was the 'cut' end that was riding slightly over the lower control arm retaining 'cup' . Give this a go and let us know the outcome :)

Kind Regards

Mike Bosworth #2001

Assistant Secretary
DOC UK
www.deloreans.co.uk

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Last weekend I rebuilt the front suspension on my DeLorean.
> Ever since I put the car back together, if I hit a speed bump or
> pothole (at reasonable speeds), the passenger front coil spring makes
> a loud "DONG!" sound, and a second later, a softer "dong!"
as if it's popping back into it's seat.

Messages in this topic (2)

5. Re: Cross Section of a DeLorean door
    Posted by: "Bob Brandys" BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com bob6351
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:06 am (PDT)

Marv,

I did the patent search you recommended.  Wow.  DeLorean's name appears
on at least 215 patents going back to his days at Packard.  I don't
think anyone has ever stated this.

Unfortunately, non of the images were of help for my purposes.  I am
going to be adding full size power windows to Ryan's D and want to
start a video pod cast of the process and engineering details.

Bob

Messages in this topic (6)

6a. Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.
    Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net jtrealtywebspannet
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08 am (PDT)

I don't see the need to write a whole procedure on the doors, the
procedure in the Workshop Manual and the service bulletin for
adjusting the internal linkage is about as good as it gets. There is a
lot that is written on the doors, from the torsion bars, to the
struts, to the anchor pins, upgraded handles, window regulators, door
pulls, etc. Maybe someday someone will pull it all togther into one
folder over at dmcnews. In the meantime if you don't force the doors
and they are properly adjusted (and you upgrade or disconnect the door
lock module) the doors are very reliable. You will have to replace the
struts once in a while and the plastic outside door handle is prone to
break.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_... wrote:

> So how come none of  our door gurus has written up a definitive
treatment on
> troubleshooting the  doors?

Messages in this topic (31)

6b. Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.
    Posted by: "Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd" martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk heavenrest
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:13 am (PDT)

Okay, you asked for it :-)

The answer is "probably because they're all different" and no matter how
good you get at it, one will bit you from behind. There are a couple of
things I can pass along, although you said it pretty well

Doors getting jammed are usually caused by one of two things. You can
zero in on specific problems by unhooking both latches and working the
mechanism  manually with each rod. Remember to trip both latches with a
screwdriver before you go mucking about with the door open, and watch
out for a worn latch that will open itself purely with the help of
gravity when the latch is released. Anyway, specific problems:

1) The door handle release mechanism not returning properly. This will
jam the locks, but often won't prevent them from locking, only unlocking
(just to really annoy us)
2) The lock rods are out of alignment making one of the latches stay
locked when you unlock. Nine times out of ten this is the front lock rod
because it is the one that is not adjustable

1) is often caused by the outer handle. The cable gets rusty, gritty, or
in a lot of cases kinked at the handle end. My solution is to remove the
outer handle, and make sure the last 1/2" of cable is strait, lube up
and replace. However early cars had a shorter cable which generated its
own problems with the whole thing kinking. I jumped through hoops on
#1458's pass door but everythig's worked fine for 2 years now.
2) If your door pops on the rear latch but not on the front, there is a
shortcut to releasing the door. Behind the grab handle is a glued in
flexible rubber section which you can remove with a bit of force, only
tearing the poor 25 year old glue. The front lock rod runs immediately
behind this and with the aid of a pair of pliers, you should be able to
get enough pull on this to release the front lock. Although not
officially adjustable, you can adjust this by adding a couple of degrees
to the two bends (it's sort of Z-shaped) - please don't flame me :-)

Ken had me doing lock and latch on the raffle car the day before the
show, so if the new owner has any problems, shout at me :-)

Martin

deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> So how come none of our door gurus has written up a definitive
> treatment on
> troubleshooting the doors?
>
> Wayne A. Ernst
> vin 11174
> Bridgeton, NJ
>
> <mailto:dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

Messages in this topic (31)

7. EBay auction # 280000557367
    Posted by: "toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com" toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:10 am (PDT)

Just in case anyone is interested...

This car is in my VIN research project that was in my now-defunct computer, one of the few VINs that was rescued from the hard drive.

The reason the body appears so odd is probably because the car had been painted red.

It was titled in 1989 in Massachusetts as a red/black vehicle, meaning a primary color of red with black accents (such as the fascias, judging by the auction photos).

It has 22991 miles when purchased from an owner in Florida in 1988.

That's the best I can do, wish I could tell you all more...

Messages in this topic (1)

    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:10 am (PDT)

I think it's more likely that his little plastic lever 101637 has broken
- this is unavailable. We had a local machine shop make a couple out of
brass a while back. I know Josh has some originals

Martin

Harold McElraft wrote:

> I think the part you want is 101752. DMCH has that part.
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354
>
> <mailto:dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
>
> __,_._,

Messages in this topic (5)

9a. Re: DeLorean on Wikipedia
    Posted by: "Bob Brandys" BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com bob6351
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:13 am (PDT)

They delorean article on wikipedia is some interesting reading.   It is
5 pages long.
It is worthwhile reading and editing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12

Bob

Messages in this topic (10)

9b. Re: DeLorean on Wikipedia
    Posted by: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net cbl1739
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:01 pm (PDT)

Bob,
Great find,I read the whole thing,whoever wrote it,wrote THE Correct
facts and history about the Delorean,and will make a great resourse,for
anybody looking for the history,and facts about our beloved Deloreans,I
took the liberty of placing a link,in the links page on the DMCNEWS
site,so that any future owner(or present owner) or hobbiest,can find
the site in the future.

Regards
CBL
P.S.
I also put a link to the Ebay Delorean for sale/sold History
for the people that want to see which Deloreans were for sale/sold on
Ebay.

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_...> wrote:

> They delorean article on wikipedia is some interesting reading.   It
is
> 5 pages long.
> It is worthwhile reading and editing.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12
>
> Bob

Messages in this topic (10)

10a. Back on the road
    Posted by: "Dave Sontos" dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net dsontos
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:13 am (PDT)

Ok, I finally got all the parts I needed to finish my annual tuneup and
02573 is purring like a kitten. Now when is that DeLorean car show at
Pheasant Run again?

Messages in this topic (3)

10b. Re: Back on the road
    Posted by: "Bernie" bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net bmdmc
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:57 pm (PDT)

A little late, but resverve your room now for the show in Gettysburg.
 We might have the entire resort to ourselves, which would be really
great.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Ok, I finally got all the parts I needed to finish my annual tuneup and
> 02573 is purring like a kitten. Now when is that DeLorean car show at
> Pheasant Run again?

Messages in this topic (3)

10c. Re: Back on the road
    Posted by: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com conundrum1984
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:18 pm (PDT)

Set time circuts to June 15th 2006. ;-)

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Ok, I finally got all the parts I needed to finish my annual tuneup
and
> 02573 is purring like a kitten. Now when is that DeLorean car show at
> Pheasant Run again?

Messages in this topic (3)

11. 6/24/06 Downriver Cruise Photos
    Posted by: "Lawrence Lormand" lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net vin00538
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:14 am (PDT)

Hey everyone,
Just posting so you can enjoy a few photo's from our Michigan
Downriver Cruise night, we had 5 Delorean's 2 were mine, Stefan from
Canada, Monte BTTF car & Sandor from Novi Area, Plus 1 unknow I tried
to flag down at Rallies Hamburgers But, They Looked at me like I was
just a crazy nut, well, okay, I am a little but, I hope you enjoy the
Photo's. PG-15 under downriver cruise in photo album.
Lawrence

Messages in this topic (1)

12. DCS06 - Friday Pictures
    Posted by: "Kevin Abato" delorean_at_dml_abato.net iguanajade
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:23 pm (PDT)

Pictures from DCS06 Friday are now available!
http://www.grenexmedia.com/events/dcs06/fri/index.htm

I hope to have Saturday and the Proto-one photos done by middle of this
week.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Messages in this topic (1)

    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:32 pm (PDT)

I need to replace my weather stripping too.  I just installed Toby's
Basic Wings-A-Loft kit.  Very nice kit.  My doors open slowly so the
torsion bars need a little adjustment.  That's with the weather
stripping not there.  My doors seem to get stuck on the inner door
weatherstripping though.  Someone mentioned that Grady's kit was
thicker to make a good seal.  For some reason I think thicker would
cause my doors to still get hung up.

Anyone have any tips, tricks or which vendor has some
weatherstripping that won't cause the doors to hang up?

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Dave,
> The first time I replaced weather stripping was on my D too.
Here's are the
> steps I took:
>
> Start on the passenger side. You won't see this side much so you
should be
> a pro when it comes time to do the "all important" driver side.

Messages in this topic (3)

14. Re: Digest Number 3291
    Posted by: "whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com" whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com whocruiser
    Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:36 pm (PDT)

In a message dated 6/18/2006 11:57:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

Hi  All,

Well this is my first post to the DML, and after  going to
Eurofest 2006 I figured it was time that I introduced myself. My
name is Andrew Cove, and if you were at Eurofest, you would probably
know me as one of the trio from the Bahamas

Hi Andrew -

Glad to hear of the great time you had at Eurofest, and of your aspirations
to become a Delorean owner.  If you ever make the relatively short hop from
the Bahamas over to Florida I hope you will be able to check in with some of
the  many owners we have here.  If you need some good advice on finding a car
for yourself, I'm sure that some of us can help you out, and don't forget to
check with DMC Florida as well, they have a great new shop and probably lots of
 info on potential cars that may be up for sale.  We also have a local
Florida online Yahoo discussion group that you might like to join as well,  you're
certainly close enough, even if it's across a bit of open water ;-)

Cheers - Dan

Messages in this topic (1)