From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:17 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3309

1. Re: Optima Batteries?
From: cbl1739

2a. Re: Product sub forums?
From: Michael Babb

2b. Re: Product sub forums?
From: Ryan Wright

2c. Re: Product sub forums?
From: Tom Tait

3a. Re: Rooms at Gettysburg by Ken
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

3b. Re: Rooms at Gettysburg by Ken
From: Jamie Hamlin

4a. Re: A/C cutting out
From: Ryan Wright

4b. Re: [DMCForum] A/C cutting out
From: Marc Levy

4c. Re: A/C cutting out
From: John Hervey

5. Attention DeLorean Owners-Art Center Car Classic 2006 July 16th
From: ocdelorean

6. DMA/DOA 2006 Summer Fun Run - Details Available!
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club

7. Picture/Dwg of dash side of horn switch cluster needed
From: Nick Kemp

8a. Re: Replica
From: cbl1739

8b. Re: Replica
From: conundrum1984

8c. Gold Cars
From: Marc Levy

8d. Re: Replica
From: Chris Murley

9. Fuel guage info
From: bluemax86

10a. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
From: John Dore

10b. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
From: David Teitelbaum

10c. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
From: Alistair McCann

11. Shift Knobs
From: Tom Watkins

12. door marker lights
From: rdcejc

13. Re: DMC back seat was: Getting rid of trailing arm setup
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Rear axle nut size
From: Ed B.

15. Brake booster/Servo troubleshooting
From: Ed B.

Messages

1. Re: Optima Batteries?
Posted by: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net cbl1739
Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:38 pm (PDT)

I don't know about Optima batteries,But I bought the equivelent at Sam's Warehouse,they are made by Exide,they call them Orbital batteries,the ones I bought are the NASCAR series XLT 850cranking amps and 690 CCA,p/n NXDT35,they have a 36 month free replacement and
108 month pro rate,anyway the first one I bought in 2004,and the following year I bought two more,I have let these three batteries,TOTALLY drain down to nothing,and they fully charged up, (MORE than three times)and I also left one hooked up to a car,I did not use all this winter (connecticut)and It was totally discharged,I am charging it right now as I am typing this and I just checked it and it is almost fully charged,the OTHER two were in the same state of discharge,and BOTH of those came back to full life(and are being used).I would say DUMP the Optima batteries and go for Exide's Obital battery,since I have Really really abused these batteries(all three) and they seem to come right back to life I am giving Exide's equivelent to the Optima a BIG thumbs up.They are also less expensive than the Optima,at under $100.00,they also have the 1000CCA battery(which one of my three is) .
I stored a Sears Gold battery(wet cell) of the same size(1000CCA)and age,and I CANNOT even get a bit of charge in that,I have 3 or 4 Sears batteries(wet cells) and they are ALL DOA!The one MAIN reason to put a Optima or Orbital cell battery in a Delorean,is to keep the rare passenger carpet from getting acid burn,which is somewhat common in a Delorean,(and has to be replaced)and also to help the electrical

Hope that helps
CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jpalatinus" <jpalatinus_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I bought an Optima battery in 2002 at Pep boys, I kept the invoice
for the 3 year free
> replacement and I went through 4 optima batteries from 2002-2005!
I am serious, and I
> have the invoices to prove it. Each time I took the battery to Pep
boys with the invoice and
> they would give me a new one free of charge, after they put it on a
tester and verified that
> it was bad. I was actually thinking of continuing to do that and
never buying another
> battery again, but it takes them 1 hour to decide that the battery
is dead. I finally got
> smart and asked for them to exchange it for whatever their 2nd best
battery was, I don't
> remember what kind but it is a normal liquid cell battery and it
has worked for over a year
> (Longer than any red top optima battery ever worked for me) I
drive my Delorean nearly
> every day, it had never been stored or not started for more than 2
weeks max. I know so
> many people that swear they are the best, but I won't touch them
again.
> Joe P.

Messages in this topic (23)

2a. Re: Product sub forums?
Posted by: "Michael Babb" mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com dmc3472
Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:44 pm (PDT)

Makes me think of a DeLorean version of ePinions.com - I think something like this would be great - I sure do not have the coding know-how to make it happen, but would love to contribute to something like this!

Michael

Tom Tait wrote:

> <SNIP>
> With the choices for aftermarket items on the market it seems like sub
> forums with specific product reviews for batteries, tires, which oil,
> alternators, AC accumulators, aftermarket frames, etc. would be very
> helpful. If the members and moderators work to ensure it's not about
> ongoing online arguments between vendors and owners it could remain
> concise and helpful. In fact I would suggest that
> vendors/manufacturers be encouraged to only include links to a product
> page and application notes for the item. That is the page they could
> showcase their own information on the item and answer criticisms of it
> in one place/message (application notes?) rather than a series of posts.

Messages in this topic (4)

2b. Re: Product sub forums?
Posted by: "Ryan Wright" ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com ryanpwright
Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:52 pm (PDT)

My two cents:

This idea would be wonderful if dmcnews were a web based forum. It's easy to create different sections in such a forum and simple to enforce discussion rules (moderators can simply move messages between sections as appropriate).

However, for an email list, this idea is basically unworkable due to the nature of email based lists.

-Ryan

On 6/27/06, Tom Tait <TTait_at_dml_brcweb.com> wrote:

> An idea like this was floated a month or two ago, but this is a
> little different and maybe of interest.
>
> How about adding a section to the Main DMCnews area where we can post
> information specifically on products.
>
> I'm sure I remember posts from months ago that the Optima batteries
> were great - now I have one in my car and another thread has come up
> letting me know they are awful.
>
> I thought I had researched pretty well on alternators and bought a
> popular upgrade item, only to learn afterwards that a higher amperage
> model requires a higher rpm just to kick in - I would have purchase
> differently if I had known that.
>
> I almost purchased a much more expensive automatic antenna, but in
> that case I found a good option at a much lower cost.
>
> With the choices for aftermarket items on the market it seems like sub
> forums with specific product reviews for batteries, tires, which oil,
> alternators, AC accumulators, aftermarket frames, etc. would be very
> helpful. If the members and moderators work to ensure it's not about
> ongoing online arguments between vendors and owners it could remain
> concise and helpful. In fact I would suggest that
> vendors/manufacturers be encouraged to only include links to a product
> page and application notes for the item. That is the page they could
> showcase their own information on the item and answer criticisms of it
> in one place/message (application notes?) rather than a series of posts.
>
> Picture finding a structure like this:
>
> >Alternators
> >>Ducillier
> >>Motorola
> >>DMCH 105 Amp Reviews
> >>PJ Grady 110 Amp Reviews
> >>SpecialTAuto Alternator Reviews
>
> >Battery
> >>AC Delco Reviews
> >>Optima Yellow Top Reviews
> >>Optima Red Top Reviews
> >>Sears Diehard
>
> >Door Lock Controllers
> >>OEM Grady/DMCH/DMC
> >>DNPW Wings-Be-Open
> >>Joe Cool
> >>Other
>
> >Tires
> >>General Info
> >>Michelin Pilot Reviews
> >>Goodrich T/A Reviews
> >>Yokahama Reviews
> >>Other Tire Reviews
>
> Everyone will agree that their preferred vendors are a great source
> for recommendations on products, but it's hard to compare. If original
> posters could be allowed to update a posting over time it becomes a
> living guide and far more concise than searching for old posts.
>
> Rather than the previous suggestion of a review committee, this might
> prove more feasible and more helpful.
>
> Moderator, vendors, owners, anyone think this might work?
>
> Tom

Messages in this topic (4)

2c. Re: Product sub forums?
Posted by: "Tom Tait" TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com thomasttait
Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 am (PDT)

No no, put it as a section of the DMCnews home page, just like the photos section, so it is web based not email based. Moderators, is this possible?

This idea would be wonderful if dmcnews were a web based forum. It's easy to create different sections in such a forum and simple to enforce discussion rules (moderators can simply move messages between sections as appropriate).

However, for an email list, this idea is basically unworkable due to the nature of email based lists.

-Ryan

On 6/27/06, Tom Tait <TTait_at_dml_brcweb.com <mailto:TTait%40brcweb.com> >
wrote:

> An idea like this was floated a month or two ago, but this is a little
> different and maybe of interest.
>
> How about adding a section to the Main DMCnews area where we can post
> information specifically on products.
>
> I'm sure I remember posts from months ago that the Optima batteries
were
> great - now I have one in my car and another thread has come up
letting
> me know they are awful.
>
> I thought I had researched pretty well on alternators and bought a
> popular upgrade item, only to learn afterwards that a higher amperage
> model requires a higher rpm just to kick in - I would have purchase
> differently if I had known that.
>
> I almost purchased a much more expensive automatic antenna, but in
that
> case I found a good option at a much lower cost.
>
> With the choices for aftermarket items on the market it seems like sub
> forums with specific product reviews for batteries, tires, which oil,
> alternators, AC accumulators, aftermarket frames, etc. would be very
> helpful. If the members and moderators work to ensure it's not about
> ongoing online arguments between vendors and owners it could remain
> concise and helpful. In fact I would suggest that
vendors/manufacturers
> be encouraged to only include links to a product page and application
> notes for the item. That is the page they could showcase their own
> information on the item and answer criticisms of it in one
place/message
> (application notes?) rather than a series of posts.
>
> Picture finding a structure like this:

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Messages in this topic (4)

3a. Re: Rooms at Gettysburg by Ken
    Posted by: "kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com" kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com kkoncelik
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 pm (PDT)

I know of two so far
but I am sure there will be more

Messages in this topic (5)

3b. Re: Rooms at Gettysburg by Ken
    Posted by: "Jamie Hamlin" jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com jamiepierce2000
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:31 pm (PDT)

I'll be leaving from Ft.Walton Beach, Florida but I will be trailering so I don't
  go very fast.

  Jamie Hamlin
  Vin#2606
  Vin#5677

"rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:
          Just got home from the Grand Canyon.... When is the show in Gettysburg? Do you know if any of the Florida people are going and are they planning to caravan up?
Ed

    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:58 pm (PDT)

One last question: I notice the compressor from DMCH says it includes the accumulator and orifice tube. Is it recommended these be replaced along with the compressor, or what? If so, why?

Since this is one of the few jobs I won't be doing myself, is there anything I should tell the shop? Any other work I should have them do while they're replacing the compressor?

Thank you,

-Ryan

On 6/27/06, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Harold, David & John for the replies.
>
> A rare event, I got home tonight and the A/C wasn't working when I was
> in my driveway. Usually, it's kicked back on by then (or never kicked
> off). I checked the red wire going to the compressor and it had +12V,
> but the compressor was still not cycling. Turning the A/C on and off
> didn't give me the normal click & drawdown on the engine that it usually does.
>
> I'm going to replace the compressor. It's 25 years old, it's had about
> enough. :)
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Ryan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Messages in this topic (14)

4b. Re: [DMCForum]  A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com malevy_nj
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm (PDT)

When the compressor eats itself, there are usually metal fragments that get pushed down the system.  They tend to get stuck in the orifice, and receiver/dryer(accumulator).

I'd replace the orifice any time the system is open, it is cheap and does tend to catch any crap in the system.

If you want to do it "right", the accumulator should be replaced as well... although if you pull a vacuum and leave it for a few hours and maybe even hit the accumulator with a heat gun, you will get most of the water out of it.... but not any dirt/oil that may be in it.

DMCH probably sells it as a "kit", because it will reduce the likelihood of you damaging a brand new compressor that they will have to replace under warranty.

I am surprised no one sells a clutch kit for this compressor.  If you have an electrical problem, you may want to see about getting just the clutch.

--- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:

> One last question: I notice the compressor from DMCH says it includes
> the accumulator and orifice tube. Is it recommended these be replaced
> along with the compressor, or what? If so, why?
>
> Since this is one of the few jobs I won't be doing myself, is there
> anything I should tell the shop? Any other work I should have them do
> while they're replacing the compressor?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Ryan

Messages in this topic (14)

4c. Re: A/C cutting out
    Posted by: "John Hervey" john_at_dml_specialtauto.com johnatspecialt
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 am (PDT)

Ryan,
Anytime you open up the AC system it's always recommended that the
accumulator and orifice is always replaced. Some companies won't extend any
kind of warranty if it's not done when replacing a compressor.
Becarefull in buying another 25 year old compressor to replace a 25 year old
one. All my compressors are all brand new and carry a 2 year warranty.
John Hervey
  http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/AC-Cooling.html

> One last question: I notice the compressor from DMCH says
> it includes the accumulator and orifice tube. Is it recommended
> these be replaced along with the compressor, or what? If so, why?
>
> Since this is one of the few jobs I won't be doing myself, is there
> anything I should tell the shop? Any other work I should have them
> do while they're replacing the compressor?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Ryan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Messages in this topic (14)

5. Attention DeLorean Owners-Art Center Car Classic 2006 July 16th
    Posted by: "ocdelorean" director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com ocdelorean
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm (PDT)

Hello DeLorean Owners,

The Art Center Car Classic '06 is here. I would like to tell all of you about a great event on
Sunday July 16th 10am-4pm.  Art Center College of Design in Pasadena will be having its
annual Car Classic Auto Show.  It will be a great opportunity to mingle with local DeLorean
owners and world famous auto designers.

Since parking is limited, The DeLorean Owners Association will be reserving spaces at the
show for its members.  Parking will be up front and close to the main event.  Other
parking will be available at the Rose Bowl and a shuttle will take you up to the main
campus.  Please let the parking attendant know that you are with the DeLorean Owners
Association upon arrival and they will direct you to our reserved parking location.  He will
have a reservation list for all members in attendance.  Please RSVP with me to secure your
parking space.

Tickets are available for purchase online for $40. Before July 1st.  After that date, tickets
will be $55 and can also be purchased for this price the day of the show.  So get your
tickets early.
Please click the link below for ticket purchase and all the information about the show
including directions.
http://www.artcenter.edu/carclassic

Celebrities in the Auto Industry will be present.  Jay Leno, Chip Foose, Freeman Thomas
and many more.
Featured speakers include Patrick le Quément, Senior Vice-President of Corporate Design,
Renault; alumnus Henrik Fisker, CEO, Fisker Coachbuild; and alumnus Ken Okuyama,
Creative Director, Pininfarina

Several DeLoreans will be driving from Orange County and we will arrange other
DeLoreans who wish to caravan.  Other groups will caravan from the Los Angeles and
Ventura County areas as well.  Hope to see you and your DeLoreans soon for a great day in
July.

Kind Regards,

Tony Hilger
DELOREAN OWNERS ASSOCIATION – President
DELOREAN WORLD MAGAZINE – Art Director
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Messages in this topic (1)

6. DMA/DOA 2006 Summer Fun Run - Details Available!
    Posted by: "Delorean Mid-Altantic Club" clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com dmaclubevents
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm (PDT)

The Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club and the Delorean Owners Association are
teaming up this year with the help of Mark Shearer to provide the biggest
Summer Fun Run event EVER!!!

Details for this massive two day event are now posted on the DMA website,
but you had better hurry and book your room, and mail in your registration
for the car show on Sunday!   Mark has a great weekend lined up for us all,
and you wont want to miss out on any of it.

BBQs, Tech sessions, Raffles, Music, Driving tours, and much more await all
who attend.

Don't miss out!  Join the fun!!!!   Details can be found here:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/updates/updates.htm

Kevin Abato
Delorean Mid-Atlantic Club Activities Director

Messages in this topic (1)

7. Picture/Dwg of dash side of horn switch cluster needed
    Posted by: "Nick Kemp" nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net nk1165
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:58 pm (PDT)

The horns don't work.  So I took apart the housing around the horn switch
cluster and there is a loose wire.  I thought it was PB but it has 12Vdc on
it which, per the dwg, is P.

?Does anyone have a dwg or picture of the back side?

?Do you have to either pull the steering wheel  or the steering assembly to
get to the back side? (I wish I had found that when I replaced the bushing
earlier this year:-(   )

? Looks like it is soldered to the switch as opposed to a connector.  Am I
correct?

? Has anyone converted the steering wheel cover to a US style horn?  If so
how?

De-Horned,
Nick

Messages in this topic (1)

8a. Re: Replica
    Posted by: "cbl1739" cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net cbl1739
    Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:52 pm (PDT)

THE major problem with Gold plating a Delorean,is rock chips,and the
sand blasting effect at speed,from dust and debris,and from what I
was told the two orignal gold plated Deloreans were done in a simular
fashion as a cheap gold watch,meaning that even rubbing against a
gold plated delorean,can cause possible $$$$ imperfections,that is
the reason no one was allowed near/or to touch the orignal Gold
plated Deloreans,and special gloves,and overcoats had to be worn,when
in contact with one of the gold plated cars,in a nutshell unless you
are related to Bill Gates,and can afford to replate,every so
often,when the plating starts wearing off,(and it will,if driven/used)
it is just not worth it. On 20105 I am not sure of the quality of the
gold plating,but assume it was done to a better degree than the
orignal two factory cars,even tho they used the "spare panels" to
make that car.
CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Chris Murley" <qumefox_at_dml_...> wrote:

> On 6/26/06, gbsdelorean <gbsdelorean_at_dml_...> wrote:
> >
> > A real project car….
> > I have been reading about the two (or is it 4?) DeLorean's that
were
> > gold plated, the thought occurred to try and replicate the feat.
I am
> > sure the price would be astronomical to try and duplicate, but
trying
> > to obtain an original one is almost impossible.  Has anyone
seriously
> > looked into the possibility?
> > I know some will say it is heresy to even consider producing a
> > replica, but then, what about making a replica of the BTTF car?
> > Let's see - with gold plating going for $1.20 per square inch…
>

> It's possible to do I guess. Probably cheaper than buying one of the
> existing gold cars as well. But the real question is why would
anyone want
> to? Doing so would very nearly render the car uninsurable for
anything other
> than a display item, at least for new value with the gold plating.
I guess I
> just don't see the point of having a car you can't drive.  It might
be neat
> if your filthy rich and allready have a garage full of D's just
sitting
> there. But then again, if you were rich enough to do this, it
probably
> wouldn't be much of a project, as you'd most likly be paying
someone else to
> do all the work anyway.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Chris
> VIN #3209
> http://badger.brazi.net/index.pl/delorean

Messages in this topic (7)

8b. Re: Replica
    Posted by: "conundrum1984" jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com conundrum1984
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:29 pm (PDT)

20105's panels were plated at the same time as the first two cars.
they were actually a spare set of panels for the first two incase
something happened to them.  Well, nothing happened because 4300 and
4301 were never driven.  Except for the passenger side door, they
did not have that one in gold when building 20105.  So they plated
another door and the gold plating on this one is actually darker.  I
don't know how the gold on that door would hold up compared to the
rest of the panels.  But looking at it you can definately tell it is
different.  Also, if I remember correctly, I believe 20105 actually
has the rough pontoon surface of the early cars.  But don't hold me
on that.

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_...> wrote:

> THE major problem with Gold plating a Delorean,is rock chips,and
the
> sand blasting effect at speed,from dust and debris,and from what I
> was told the two orignal gold plated Deloreans were done in a
simular
> fashion as a cheap gold watch,meaning that even rubbing against a
> gold plated delorean,can cause possible $$$$ imperfections,that is
> the reason no one was allowed near/or to touch the orignal Gold
> plated Deloreans,and special gloves,and overcoats had to be
worn,when
> in contact with one of the gold plated cars,in a nutshell unless
you
> are related to Bill Gates,and can afford to replate,every so
> often,when the plating starts wearing off,(and it will,if
driven/used)
> it is just not worth it. On 20105 I am not sure of the quality of
the
> gold plating,but assume it was done to a better degree than the
> orignal two factory cars,even tho they used the "spare panels" to
> make that car.
> CBL

Messages in this topic (7)

8c. Gold Cars
    Posted by: "Marc Levy" malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com malevy_nj
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:29 pm (PDT)

All 3 sets of panels for the gold cars were made at
the same time!  Why would one be better quality than
another?

Interesting story, but the DOC had the guy who made
the gold cars speak to us at dinner.  Apparently, they
were tight on time and one of the doors was not masked
before they plated it...  and that door has gold
plating INSIDE as well.

--- cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> it is just not worth it. On 20105 I am not sure of
> the quality of the
> gold plating,but assume it was done to a better
> degree than the
> orignal two factory cars,even tho they used the
> "spare panels" to
> make that car.
> CBL

Messages in this topic (7)

8d. Re: Replica
    Posted by: "Chris Murley" qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com qumefox76
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 pm (PDT)

On 6/27/06, cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> THE major problem with Gold plating a Delorean,is rock chips,and the
> sand blasting effect at speed,from dust and debris,and from what I
> was told the two orignal gold plated Deloreans were done in a simular
> fashion as a cheap gold watch,meaning that even rubbing against a
> gold plated delorean,can cause possible $$$$ imperfections,that is
> the reason no one was allowed near/or to touch the orignal Gold
> plated Deloreans,and special gloves,and overcoats had to be worn,when
> in contact with one of the gold plated cars,in a nutshell unless you
> are related to Bill Gates,and can afford to replate,every so
> often,when the plating starts wearing off,(and it will,if driven/used)
> it is just not worth it. On 20105 I am not sure of the quality of the
> gold plating,but assume it was done to a better degree than the
> orignal two factory cars,even tho they used the "spare panels" to
> make that car.
> CBL

If someone wanted to do something unusual I imagine a copper plated D would
stand out in a crowd, and not be horribly expensive. Though with copper some
form of clearcoat would be needed to keep it from turning green with
oxidation. A chrome plated D would probably be a funny sight too. Is it
possible to anodize stainless like it is aluminum? I think that might look
neat as well. I guess the outer stainless panel construction of
the deloreans make ideas like this possible, when it'd be a royal pain on
any other car.

I'll quit rambling now. :P

Chris
VIN# 3209

Messages in this topic (7)

9. Fuel guage info
    Posted by: "bluemax86" bluemax86_at_dml_yahoo.com bluemax86
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 am (PDT)

Hi All,

At the back of the fuel guage there are 3 "pillars" that connect the
fuel guage to the plastic "circuit board". Does anyone know which one
does what?

After pulling out my dash to fix the trip meter and putting it back
again the fuel gauge needle now point straight up (ie vertical). I
have fixed all my other issues (thank you to the member that suggested
the LED's have polarity, I turned some around and they now all work).

I checked and re-checked the connections, I tried turning the needle
down but as soon as I turn the key in the ignition it shoots straight
up again.

Is there a way that I can connect some AA batteries to the gauge (with
some sort of variable resistor) so that I can check if it even moves?

Thanks in advance,
Max

Messages in this topic (1)

10a. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
    Posted by: "John Dore" dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com dmcjohn
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:36 am (PDT)

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the info. I was actually going to email you and ask if you
still had the alpine! Oh well...

There are 2 ways of getting a back seat into a DeLorean as far as I
can see. Either lengthen the wheelbase, which means making a custom
longer center section for the frame, and doing lots of fiberglass
work, and custom roof and rear quarter stainless panels. I could
still move the battery location and electrics to free up a bit of
room back there, which would minimise the amount by which the
wheelbase would need to be lengthened by.

Or, keep the wheelbase, get rid of trailing arm setup, and build a
completely custom rear end for the DeLorean chassis, using twin A
arms (double wishbones!). I know the leg room is going to be very
tight back there, and maybe its too tight, but with the front seats
pulled forward, there might be enough room. Anyway, its more for kids
than adults...

I'm keeping an open mind on both options until I do more reading etc.
Maybe the best way to do it would be a combination of the 2 ideas.

I don't know much about the Alpines, having never seen one, but would
love to see the frame setup at the rear to see if any ideas from it
could be used. Do you have any pics of the rear suspension?

PS, in Stainless Steel Illusion, there is an illustration from 1975
of a 4 seater DeLorean. It is based on the lengthened wheelbase
method, and actually doesn't look bad. I know a longer wheelbase
isn't going to help with cornering ability, but this car will be just
used for cruising, not racing.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
<martin_at_dml_...> wrote:

> > On a side note, did you (or anyone else on the list) ever consider
> > redesigning the rear suspension completely, and eliminating the
> > trailing arm setup altogether? I'm planning on making a 4 seater
> > DeLorean next year (2 + 2 setup), with a small back seat suitable
for
> > children or adults who don't mind being a bit squashed. Similar
size
> > to the Porsche 911 back seat or Renault Alpine...
> >

> Woah - hold on there for a moment.... The back end of an Alpine GTA
is
> very (very) different from the DeLorean. Let's start with the fact
that
> it doesn't have a backbone chassis, it's a steel/fibreglass
monocoque
> (yes, that's correct, they can't split their frames from their
> underbodies without cutting fibreglass), and move onto the fact
that the
> car is longer to accomodate the rear seats (more of your legs go
under
> the dash if you get my meaning). I don't think there's enough room
in
> the rear of a D for a seat of any sort, even without the trailing
arms.
> Just look how close the rear wheels are to the back of the seats. A
GTA
> might have the same engine and transmission but it's a totally
different
> animal at the rear. You should see the gearshift linkage - it's
> comically simple compared to the DeLorean. The hybrid
wishbone.trailing
> arm setup of the DeLorean is a Lotus design from the Elan/Esprit
and
> does some clever rear wheel steering when under body-roll (a
function
> that I still think is the reason for the single shear traling arm
bolt
> setup). It also provides a lightweight but extremely strong
tranfter of
> thrust and drag (okay, TABs notwithstanding!). It's not there to
get in
> the way of back seats, it serves a very definite purpose. Without
> redesigning the whole chassis, I think you'd be well advised to
leave
> them alone.
>

> > I'm just starting to research the Alpine at the moment, but it
> > appears to have upper and lower A arms (and rear roll bar)
instead of
> > the upper and lower links and trailing arm setup of the DeLorean.
> >

> We had a scrap Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo for a while, and sent it
on
> its way after pulling the engine and gearbox. It's still being
parted
> out and the rear end was in good shape apart from being shockingly
rusty
> (when you're used to DeLoreans that are 10 years older!). The
suspension
> is referred to as double wishbone
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Martin

Messages in this topic (18)

10b. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
    Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net jtrealtywebspannet
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 pm (PDT)

One option for making the DMC-12 into a DMC-24 (4 seater) would be to
stretch it in the middle and try to hang 2 more doors on the car by
using a left door for the rear right and the right door for the rear
left. You run into all kinds of problems with the torsion bars, the
inside panels and hardware of the doors, the anchor pins in the
middle, and so on. It will take someone with a lot of imagination to
pull it off but imagine what you could wind up with! A 4 door, 4
seater Delorean! Of course the powertrain would also have to be
upgraded in some manner to handle the additional weight. In many
respects you will be building a whole new car! I am sure that the
designers at DMC had all kinds of plans for future projects of this
nature. It would be interesting to know some of what was being
planned. Right now all I know about is the big project that was "in
the works" was the Legend turbo upgrade that was due to come out for
the 83 model year. Fred Dellis (owner of Legend Industries) gave us a
lot of "inside information" about what was going on between Legend and
DMC up to the end. I figure this power upgrade was in preparation to
enlarge the DMC-12.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Hey Martin,
>
> Thanks for the info. I was actually going to email you and ask if you
> still had the alpine! Oh well...
>
> There are 2 ways of getting a back seat into a DeLorean as far as I
> can see. Either lengthen the wheelbase, which means making a custom
> longer center section for the frame, and doing lots of fiberglass
> work, and custom roof and rear quarter stainless panels. I could

Messages in this topic (18)

10c. Re: Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)
    Posted by: "Alistair McCann" pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk alistairmccann
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:16 pm (PDT)

Hi all

I have the projected plans for the 4 seater sedan in my possession
and it would have been a fantastic car if it had ever went into
production.

They where discussing the option of pop-up lights and a single large
gullwing.  It does go into greater detail with sales targets and
production times, it had 1983 as the introduction date and the plans
state that there was a prototype of this car, so god knows where that
ended up.

You are more than welcome to borrow the plans John if you need them
for ideas.

Alistair
Vin: Pilot25
Belfast

Messages in this topic (18)

11. Shift Knobs
    Posted by: "Tom Watkins" outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com outatime81
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 pm (PDT)

So....how does one tell if a non-oem shift know will fit?  Here is one I like the looks of but it doesn't really give enough information.

  http://www.cardomain.com/item/RAZRA96

  Any thoughts?

  Thanks

  tom

Find me on Google Earth
44°06'52.72"N 70°35'39.90"W

Messages in this topic (1)

12. door marker lights
    Posted by: "rdcejc" rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net rdcejc
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 pm (PDT)

Has anyone had trouble with the door marker light fuse blowing.  It
seems that if I leave the door open for more than five minutes it
blows the fuse.  I've put a larger 15amp fuse in but it blew too. Any
suggestions are welcome
Ed
6944

Messages in this topic (1)

13. Re: DMC back seat was: Getting rid of trailing arm setup
    Posted by: "deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com" deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com waernstnj
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 pm (PDT)

In a message dated 6/28/2006 8:38:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

I know  the leg room is going to be very
tight back there, and maybe its too  tight, but with the front seats
pulled forward, there might be enough  room. Anyway, its more for kids
than adults...>>
I saw a child in the "back seat" who rode from Germany to the prior
Eurofest. Ok, only halfway in the back. The parents somehow installed a  child seat
between the bucket seats, more or less further back than theirs.  Don't know if
they had to modify the parcel shelf to do it. As to whether I'd  ever let my
two youngest kids ride stacked two deep and belted in,  for an emergency short
ride... no comment.

Wayne A.  Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Messages in this topic (1)

14. Rear axle nut size
    Posted by: "Ed B." mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net mister_pants_2005
    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:16 pm (PDT)

Can anybody confirm the size of the nut on the rear hub/axle?  Is it
32mm (1-1/4")? Part number is 108514.  I could have sworn I had a socket
for it but I can't find it.  I need to get a new socket to remove the
nut & I'd rather avoid taking the wheel off, measuring, putting it back
on, etc. if somebody has the quick answer...
I know, I'm lazy... :-)

- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S

Messages in this topic (1)

    Date: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:16 pm (PDT)

A few question about the brake booster/servo:

My braking is the pits: I can slam the brakes on, hold with all my force
and I will not lock the wheels up.  The car does stop, but it's nowhere
near what it should be in terms of rate of deceleration.  This is at
around 15mph in my driveway.  At higher speeds, I do slow down, but
again, it seems really poor and I have to apply a LOT of pressure to get
decent braking.  I'd be screwed if I had to do a panic stop at speed.
All brake components are good/new: master cylinder, calipers, rotors,
pads, fluid, all is properly bled, no air in the M.C.  I know the
DeLorean brakes are not the greatest, but this is terrible.

Would a bad servo cause weak braking?  I removed the vacuum hose from
the servo and there is nice suction from it when the engine is running.
I also did a crude test of the check valve by connecting separate, short
hose to the check valve inlet and I cannot blow through, but I can draw
(albeit with difficulty and not freely), indicating the check valve is
functioning, right?  I do hear a faint hissing around the servo, but it
doesn't sound like a leak - more like the vacuum noise inside the hose.
What else can i check?

How do I check if the actual servo/booster itself is good?  The manual
does not seem to be much help here -  it doesn't even show where the
other end of the vacuum line goes in the engine bay...

Thanks...
- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]